Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 18:15   #556
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Are half-face helmets dangerous (I'm referring to the helmets that open up)?

I ask this because while reading the guidelines posted by Royal Enfield for their rides they mention that the rider must have a correctly fitting full face helmet (Helmets that open up and become half-face are not allowed).
Well, personally I always prefer the Open/closed face helmets or modular helmets. By those I mean helmets, that can be made into Full face by just pulling it down, like the Studds Ninja, and Vega Boolean. These helmets are good for the city with an open face, but the moment you bit the highway, make sure it is closed. Two reasons behind the same, one being obviously covering the chin and complete protection at high speeds, and the second one being the head winds blowing in the face. An open face helmet will always push your head behind on a highway because of the wind, and a closed helmet gives you the aerodynamic shape required to cut through these winds. The main reason these helmets are made are for guys with glasses/sun glasses to be able to remove the helmet without removing the glasses, and of course the occasional smoke while riding. So my suggestion is to go for these helmets as they offer the flexibility to change as and when needed. Based on your budget you can either go for a Ninja-3G, Vega Boolean or if you really want to invest in a good helmet, buy the Vega LS2 open/close helmet. Am attaching the pics of my LS2.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0017.jpg  

Old 8th October 2011, 01:33   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
Well, personally I always prefer the Open/closed face helmets or modular helmets. By those I mean helmets, that can be made into Full face by just pulling it down, like the Studds Ninja, and Vega Boolean. These helmets are good for the city with an open face, but the moment you bit the highway, make sure it is closed. Two reasons behind the same, one being obviously covering the chin and complete protection at high speeds, and the second one being the head winds blowing in the face. An open face helmet will always push your head behind on a highway because of the wind, and a closed helmet gives you the aerodynamic shape required to cut through these winds. The main reason these helmets are made are for guys with glasses/sun glasses to be able to remove the helmet without removing the glasses, and of course the occasional smoke while riding. So my suggestion is to go for these helmets as they offer the flexibility to change as and when needed. Based on your budget you can either go for a Ninja-3G, Vega Boolean or if you really want to invest in a good helmet, buy the Vega LS2 open/close helmet. Am attaching the pics of my LS2.

nice helmet there and these helmets are called Modular helmets
Old 13th October 2011, 07:57   #558
BHPian

Vega Boolean Chrome finish

@ Adises

I would like to buy a similar helmet that you have posted a picture on your post dated 30 May 2011. It will be really helpful if you could provide me the model number which will help me to find it at Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance
Old 13th October 2011, 15:09   #559
BHPian

For those in hyderabad and who are not willing to travel to Abids/Koti I would like to add here that there is not much choice for them. I went to this "Adventure on the rocks" shop in madhapur, they have a very small collection, they look promising only on the website. Moreover the guy there wasn't aware of the size of the helmet and was saying that size is fixed for every model. Though he had a few imported brands like LS2.
Another shop is "helmet world" on kukkatpally- erragadda road. It is quite big but mostly have local and cheap brands. Even for studds he had only 2 variants with no option in size. A few LS2 helmets were displayed at a height high on a pillar as if to indicate it is out of your reach just watch it an be happy.
then I went to Reliance Autozone near Tolichowki, they too had about 10 varieties but but not any appealing ones.
Finally I ended up buying it from Yamaha's showroom(pearl yamaha), the yamaha co branded Studds full face modular helmet for 1600. Atleast it looked like a quality product and had a decent finish and fit my head well. Yamaha has ensured the quality before lending its name. But you dont have much choice as there are only two models one full face and one half face, both in different colors. However I must say both are reasonably good looking.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 15:18   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Finally I ended up buying it from Yamaha's showroom(pearl yamaha), the yamaha co branded Studds full face modular helmet for 1600.

Please upload some pictures.

How is the noise level at good speed.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:57   #561
BHPian

Re: Vega Boolean Chrome finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
@ Adises

I would like to buy a similar helmet that you have posted a picture on your post dated 30 May 2011. It will be really helpful if you could provide me the model number which will help me to find it at Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance
If you're still in Delhi, check them out: Contact Us - The Helmet Shoppe

They have mentioned that Vega Boolean is available on their website.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:56   #562
BHPian

Planning to get a helmet this week and cornered LS2 for its comfort, price range and designs.
But i see the below models in LS2 and really confused now in choosing one. apart from the design and graphics, in what way they differ.

LS2 phobia
LS2 diamond
LS2 dream
LS2 bigone
LS2 espirit
LS2 Supra
LS2 Speed
LS2 Piston head
LS2 cartoon
LS2 dragon

I would say my budget is between 2.5 to 3k. Dragon is on a bit higher side and most of other models fall under my budget.

Need some advice on choosing one.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 19:30   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Planning to get a helmet this week and cornered LS2 for its comfort, price range and designs.
But i see the below models in LS2 and really confused now in choosing one. apart from the design and graphics, in what way they differ.

LS2 phobia
LS2 diamond
LS2 dream
LS2 bigone
LS2 espirit
LS2 Supra
LS2 Speed
LS2 Piston head
LS2 cartoon
LS2 dragon

I would say my budget is between 2.5 to 3k. Dragon is on a bit higher side and most of other models fall under my budget.

I checked out a few LS2 helmets at the shop, and I didn't find anything different. All had the same features like washable inner liners, quick visor change system, air vents, etc. Some LS2 helmets have the D-ring strap lock which you find in expensive helmets, whereas a few (like the Phobia) have something like this: http://www.iamabiker.com/wp-content/...7/IMG_0015.jpg

From what I remember, LS2 Dragon was actually cheaper here (2,200) and the others were at 2500. The main negative in LS2 is that you feel a bit suffocated if you have closed the visor and have stopped at a signal. Other than that, it's good!
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 23:38   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please upload some pictures.

How is the noise level at good speed.

Imran, I am a very sedate rider. 40-50 is my usual speed, I rarely cross 60 so can't comment about high speed noise levels. At this kind of speed I clearly hear my bike's thump and nothing else except others' honks but I prefer to keep the visor open most of the times. Here are the pics

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg

Last edited by huntrz : 13th October 2011 at 23:41.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 10:50   #565
BHPian

Re: Vega Boolean Chrome finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
@ Adises

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I bought my helmet from a shop in oshiwara, mumbai called AH Helmets. It's a Vega Boolean. Beyond that I don't see any model number written.

Regards,
Aditya Seshadri
adises is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 18:30   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I got a LS2 Espirit (Gloss white) a couple of days back from a shop near lalbagh main gate (opp MTR). Apparently the shop guys call it the LS2 Blade. Most of the other LS2 models, after some haggling came to around 2.2k. But this one, the guy was not ready to reduce below 2.5k. Not really sure if the difference in quality was perceived or actual .
As others have said, it is quite suffocating. I have still not ridden with it. Hope it is much better when in motion.

Can anyone who has bought a LS2 in Bangalore comment on the warranty that these guys offer? Because these helmets are imported and there would not be any company presence here to do any servicing/ replacement. So I guess we need to take this warranty clause with a pinch of salt.

One more difference that I observed was - some LS2 models had Vega printed near the base of the helmet with an ISI mark. Some did not - mine does not have it. Can someone explain the difference?

cheers
Old 17th October 2011, 11:48   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
I got a LS2 Espirit (Gloss white) a couple of days back from a shop near lalbagh main gate (opp MTR). Apparently the shop guys call it the LS2 Blade. Most of the other LS2 models, after some haggling came to around 2.2k. But this one, the guy was not ready to reduce below 2.5k. Not really sure if the difference in quality was perceived or actual .
As others have said, it is quite suffocating. I have still not ridden with it. Hope it is much better when in motion.

Can anyone who has bought a LS2 in Bangalore comment on the warranty that these guys offer? Because these helmets are imported and there would not be any company presence here to do any servicing/ replacement. So I guess we need to take this warranty clause with a pinch of salt.

One more difference that I observed was - some LS2 models had Vega printed near the base of the helmet with an ISI mark. Some did not - mine does not have it. Can someone explain the difference?

cheers
I picked up LS2 phobia from Helmet Paradise, JC road. he quoted 3.2k and after some hard negotiation he came down to 2.6k, but noway less than that. for some reason he was quoting all the LS2 models for 3.2k . he also gave 2 head masks free.

I am using it for last 2 days and quite comfortable with it. descent ventilation when in run and a bit of suffocation when in idle. anyways i am happy with it compared to my old Studds one.

He gave me 2 years warranty with a seal printed on the bill. not sure what all it covers, i was in a hurry and left thinking that i will check about it when i have a real problem with it. hopefully it will cover the inner liners getting worn out soon or something like that.
Old 19th October 2011, 15:58   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
The main negative in LS2 is that you feel a bit suffocated if you have closed the visor and have stopped at a signal. Other than that, it's good!
Quote:
cheers
Yes they get a bit suffocating when standing still in traffic but, i feel they also do not allow the dust to enter. I have seen some riders wearing scarfs covering their mouth inside their helmets I personally do not like it. I am enjoying a dust free ride nowadays due to my LS2. Also last weeks thunder showers left me drenched below my shoulders, head, face & hair(well, whatever is left of it) completely dry.

@ZedMae my helmet doesnt have a vega name... its just plain LS2

Cheers!!
Old 19th October 2011, 16:44   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Vega is the official importer of some LS2 helmets like Dragon. Hence, they have the ISI stamp on it. The others are direct imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Also last weeks thunder showers left me drenched below my shoulders, head, face & hair(well, whatever is left of it) completely dry.
So get a jacket next I just got a DSG Nero. Was riding wearing it when it suddenly rained. After riding in the rain for about 40 mins, when I came home, I was surprised that just a few drops entered via the zip area, whereas I was completely dry. Have been wearing it to college daily, so we do get a bit sweaty, especially at signals/traffic jams.
Old 1st November 2011, 00:34   #570
Senior - BHPian

I recently went helmet shopping near Urvashi theater, Bangalore.

What I set out as basic requirements:
  • A Solid White helmet
  • Medium size
  • Super Tight snug fit all round including cheeks
  • Clear Visor
  • ECE 22.01 or atleast DOT
  • Value for money
LS2 was the obvious first look. But I saw a few Indian AGVs as well.

The Black vanilla AGV was the starting range at around Rs.3500. This was not white enough for my tastes. Plus the fit and finish of the lining on the LS2s was much better than the AGVs.

There were 2 VR replicas for about Rs.5300.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1518-large.jpg
Looks good but little too bling for my taste and the lining again was not worth the money.
Now if they had the Marco Simoncelli replica, I might have taken it.

Finally after staring at 2 AGVs and 3 LS2s for 20 mins on the table.
After testing the patience of the shop owner, I settled for the best fit and whitest of them all.

LS2 FF 358.1 Concept Gloss White.
It fit all my requirements. My boys loved it. My elder son did 2 laps of "I am a superbike" with it and was thrilled
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ls2-358-001-large.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ls2-358-004-large.jpg
Only downside after billing they realized that only for this LS2 model they dont have the clear visor stock. Now am stuck with this mercury visor which am not fond of at all.

If anyone else buying this helmet / Has this helmet - Will Exchange my visor for a clear one

If I buy a clear one, when stock comes, am sure I will not switch back to this mercury finish one.
IronWolf is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks