Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2024, 10:21   #4111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Quoting myself again to make my requirements clearer.
I meant sunshade as in like a cap shade. Not the dark visor. All the moto cross type helmets have it.
So you want a beak on a normal helmet? Don't think it comes in any normal full-face helmets anymore, even brands like studds, Vega, steelbird have a category called offroad helmet. Only option is half-face helmet or motocross helmet.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 15:46   #4112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Quoting myself again to make my requirements clearer.
I meant sunshade as in like a cap shade. Not the dark visor. All the moto cross type helmets have it.
You have one in Studds and Vega under 2k.Mid-Range, under 10k.Then as you go higher there are many option with almost one off-road focused full face helmet in every 10 - 20k addition.

Hope this helps.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 18:07   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
What a coincidence, I also bought the FF800 a few weeks back - with the same graphics.
Hi, where in NCR is LS2 FF800 available? Karol Bagh?
Old 14th June 2024, 21:01   #4114
BHPian

Hi. I am looking to buy a safe helmet to replace my 9 year old MT Atom helmet. I ride 2000-2500kms a month across Chennai. Yes, I am too late to replace.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...2&min-rating=5

1. Is there any 5 star rated SHARP helmet available in India?

2. MT Revenge is 5 star rated by SHARP. But current stock is MT Revenge 2. Are they the same with regards to safety?

3. Any other methods to assess safety in helmets?
Old 14th June 2024, 22:32   #4115
BHPian

Motocap is another body that tests helmets. They have test reports you can download for free and compare. https://www.motocap.com.au/products/helmets That said, since the helmet ban I am not 100% sure an India spec helmet of the same model is the exact same as Euro or US spec.
Old 15th June 2024, 13:25   #4116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Is there any 5 star rated SHARP helmet available in India?
I've recently purchased Airoh Valor which is a SHARP 5* rated lid. It retails for 17k from official distributor but there are few sources where you can get it for much cheaper price.

The helmet is well built, light weight and feels premium overall but wind noise is a bit on higher side owing to multiple vents but it's not at intolerable levels.

Other options you can consider : Bell M1, HJC C70 but I'm not sure about the availability locally.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 13:37   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Hi. I am looking to buy a safe helmet to replace my 9 year old MT Atom helmet. I ride 2000-2500kms a month across Chennai. Yes, I am too late to replace.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...2&min-rating=5
I couldn't source a small size helmet in MT Revenge 2. Revenge 1 is 5 star SHARP rated. Revenge 2 is a new and not yet tested by SHARP. But as it is based on Revenge 1, it is expected to be 5 star also.

MT Thunder 3 pro is 4 star SHARP rated. MT Thunder 3 Pro Engima.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/mt-thunder-3/

Instead of a medium size (larger than my head) 5 star rated helmet, I chose the correct size 4 star helmet.

I bought it from Powersports, Thousand lights, Chennai for Rs.6800.

I am happy with my choice.

People who want a 5 star rated helmet at less than 10000 rupees can consider MT Revenge 2 at Rs.9100.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mtthunder3proenigmawhite_blue3.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mtthunder3proenigmawhite_blue1.jpg  

Last edited by Arwin07 : 16th June 2024 at 13:52.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 06:24   #4118
BHPian

After covid hit, my riding was very limited and I had hardly been on the saddle for more than 50kms. I was mostly using my car for the last 3 years. Fast forward to September ‘23, work from office resumed and I had to come back to Bengaluru. If it is not raining or I don’t have to travel long distance, I prefer using the bike here. Since my riding increased ( > 80kms/week ), I was in the market for a new helmet, and was a silent spectator of this thread from sometime now.

I’ve been riding since 2006, and have used 5 different helmets till now - 2x Aaron, Vega, Studds. Never knew earlier how important it is for the helmet to fit properly in order to do its job, and I was unknowingly using a helmet with a wrong fit and longer period of time than it should be used.

After a lot of research, these were the following non-negotiable checklist of buying a new helmet :

- Full Face
- Single frame ( Non flip-up type )
- ECE rated
- Double D-Ring locking mechanism

Honestly, I wanted to get the HJC RPHA 11, but I was skeptical to buy such an expensive helmet without trying it out physically.

While browsing, I came across the MT Revenge 2 and instantly liked it. I’m not a big fan of huge external spoilers, integrated sunglass or funky graphics, and this helmet ticked all the above boxes. The MT Revenge 2 had an integrated small spoiler and was ISI, DOT & ECE certified.

I had a discussion about buying this helmet with my co-workers and friends. Most people warned me not to buy MT, and stated that the quality has significantly dropped after the import ban as the helmets are manufactured locally somewhere in Delhi ( I also saw couple of videos on YouTube regarding the same as well ). However, when I researched further, I got to know that the MT Revenge 2 helmets are the last MT helmets which were imported and available in India.

Although I was warned, I didn’t like any other helmet within ₹10k. Also, knowing that the Revenge 2 was imported gave me some confidence. I was also told that the Revenge 2 was SHARP 5 star rated, and is a track speccd helmet generally.

Went ahead and bought the helmet earlier this month from a Powersports outlet ( authorised MT dealers ). Initially wanted to buy the Imperium Grey version with red accents, but it was not available anywhere as these are the last stock of MT Revenge 2 available in India. I stumbled across just one website which had it available, but I didn’t want to buy a helmet without physically checking it out. Hence, got the Imperium Blue-Neon version. Have used the helmet within the city for almost 100kms.
So far, I’m happy with the purchase, albeit there is one bitter experience ( on it later ).

This is by far the most breathable helmet I’ve used, and it does help in the standstill traffic.
The peripheral visibility is a little less than regular helmets, as it is a track purpose helmet.
Even if all the vents are closed, there is wind noise post 70-80kmph, but it doesn’t bother me much.

I’m loving the helmet, but the bitter part is the spare availability. I didn’t research much regarding this, and I believe that is where I made a mistake. I had asked the sales person at the store about spares availability, and he had confidently told me that the spares will be always available. He further added that even if anything is out of stock, sending an email to powersports should be enough and they will arrange it.

I experienced this issue last week, when I wanted to buy a light smoke visor. I went to the store, they only had clear and dark smoke visors available. Checked the powersports website, and it was out of stock online as well as in powersports stores all over India. I sent out an email and they straightaway mentioned that they don’t know when the new stock would arrive. I didn’t even receive a follow-up after I replied to that email, and the ticket was closed. This is not expected of a renowned brand, specially when this part ( V14 ) is shared with a few other models as well. I was however able to source the light smoke visor with a local retailer in Delhi, but it came in a very shady packaging, and a few micro-scratches. Also, that was the only 1 piece available. The light smoke visor ( V14 ) is not available anymore anywhere.

Since spare availability seems doubtful, I thought of getting a few spares that I might need over the period of time due to regular wear and tear. What made me question my helmet purchase decision today was when I was casually browsing through for the inner liner ( cheek pads ), and it was out of stock everywhere for the MT Revenge 2. That means, I can only use this helmet till the cheek pads fit properly. I’ll have to dispose off the helmet once the liners sag due to regular use.

I anyway plan to dispose the helmet after 5 years, but I still believe a brand should at-least have the spares for the product if they are selling it in stores.

In my opinion, I’d refrain buying MT helmets further till the quality of sales and products have improved. This was not just the case with the Revenge 2, more than half of the spares for other helmets were also not available in their authorised store website.

Apologies for the rant, but it comes naturally when you’ve spent your hard earned money on something and yet it feels like you won’t be able to utilise it for longer. I’ve now decided to let the worry go about spares and use the helmet till it lasts!

Here are the pics -
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-92dde9648ad141f783a2c88b2e2d95a2.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4237.jpeg  

Swapnil_Alto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 20:20   #4119
BHPian

Has anyone used, or is using, the LS2 MX701 Carbon Explorer helmet?

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot_20240617_201601_chrome.jpg

What's your take on -
- Ventilation.
- Noise.
- Comfort.
- Fit.
- Wind buffetting. At what speeds.
- Ability to wear regular glasses easily over long durations.
- Sizing.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 23:46   #4120
BHPian

Does anyone know if MT Thunder 3 is still being produced. Saw some June 2023 pieces being sold. How does it fare compared to the Thunder 4? Considering picking up a Thunder 3 purely because of D-ring
Old 24th June 2024, 01:51   #4121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Hello everyone,

I currently own a HJC CL-17 helmet which I've been using for the last 5+years primarily for touring on my Kawi N300. It is a good helmet except for the wind noise which was solved by the use of earplugs. It felt slightly on the heavier side initially but I did get used to it soon.

Looking now to retire this and upgrade to something better in the range of 20 - 30k which will again be used for touring primarily. The bike might also see an upgrade/downgrade to Scrambler 400x or H450 but not sure about this yet. Any suggestions welcome.
I'm a sucker for motogp helmets so I'd drool over any AGV K3 replica (Rossi Mugello 2017 ) but not sure if this would be a good choice practically especially for my use case.

There are tentative plans of going to Bali in a month or two from where I'm planning to pick up the helmet. Bali Helmet Gallery seems to have good reviews and I intend to check this out. Would be great if anyone can shed some light on this as well
AGV K3 is not too great for the money you pay, except for the looks. K6 on the other hand, is a very comfortable and lightweight helmet, though it doesn't look as sharp as the K3 or the more expensive Corsas and Pistas. Generally, HJC, Bell etc would offer more value for the price. If you have the option of increasing your budget, I would strongly recommend you to consider the AGV K6 or the HJC RPHA 11 for that matter. Both feel well built, isolates wind noise, are comfortable and lightweight.

Cheers!
Old 25th June 2024, 05:07   #4122
BHPian

Greetings BHPians,

After some thought, finally decided to share a review on my most recent acquisition which I personally almost value as much as my motorcycle - The AGV K1S helmet.

Before going into the review, let me share a few details about my previous 3 helmets. The first one was an open face Royal Enfield one which I used in my college days with the Honda Dio. Pretty sure it was DOT and ISI certified and not ECE, but I don't remember much.

The second one was a Vega Ryker D/V Elite . This was my first helmet after acquiring my first motorcycle - the 2022 YZF R15M. I won't go into detail, since I have mentioned many times on my R15 review thread as to how I whole heartedly started becoming a motorcyclist. Again this helmet was only DOT and ISI certified. Naturally, I started doing my own research on the importance of riding gear and the criticality of a good helmet, the importance and the intensity of each certification. I knew this helmet wasn't going to cut it(the visor quality was the worst, impossible to drive if there is even little bit of rain) and hence just after a year of purchase, I switched to an MT Hummer MIR.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-vega.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt.jpg

This was a really good upgrade. A definite leap in quality compared to the Vega. It is also ECE 22.05 certified making it much safer as well. This was my first helmet which had a proper "snug" fit, which was as expected uncomfortable at first but then gradually I got used to it. So, what happened that made me switch to the much more premium AGV within just 8 months of using the MT(I still use the MT, but only for short errands) ? Well there were two reasons:

1. Cracks developed on the spoiler section. Chin curtain is extremely flimsy and more often than not, it came off easily whenever I removed the helmet from my head. Yes, this was miles ahead of the Vega, but still cracks weren't encouraging. It was mostly caused by a minor drop but still...

2. I did a track day in March this year at MMRT organized by Yamaha, where I was first introduced to the track-mandatory "double-D" ring. At first I wasn't a fan of the "seemingly" complex mechanism(it was an Axor helmet I think), but I understood why it was mandatory. Compared to the ratchet quick release strap on my MT helmet, it did feel much more secure. This made me determined to get a double-D ring helmet as my next one.

Ever since I got my MT, I did start getting more interested on the safety/riding gear aspect of riding. With motorcycling increasingly becoming more and more as a passion for me, I started getting into investing in proper riding gear for touring long distance, race-track and eventually started investing in riding gear. All along, I was also getting to know about famous helmet brands and why AGV, Arai, Shoei are rated so highly globally. Out of the 3, based on the design alone, I loved the look of AGVs. I mean, its Italian. Hard to argue on the design!

So, the next question was obvious. Where will I be able to buy one? Thanks to the poorly implemented mandatory ISI rule, officially, none of the big premium helmet brands are sold in India. I was left with basically left with two options, either to get it through a niche importer/website like FC-Moto or try getting it from somewhere in Chennai. There are few sellers who do import and sell AGV helmets like Gears Chennai. Since I was very much inclined to try the helmet out before making a decision, online purchase was ruled out. Besides that, there were too many possible red flags and I just wasn't confident to go this route. The only disadvantage of directly getting it was obviously, there will be limited stock and pricing might be higher too. But I still decided to give it a try.

Obviously, the pricing was on the higher side. A mouth-watering 28.5k. It wasn't much far off from the 26.k listing I found on slickshop.in. But as I said, very limited options available, and getting it upfront was the best option considering the amount of fakes in the name of "replicas" are circulating. Seriously, what the AGV sticker is to helmets is the same as Apple logo is to phones! But a part of me knew, 20-30k was anyway the target budget and I was prepared to spend on it. Besides, I know this will last me 5-6 years ideally, which in the long run is totally worth it in my book.

In order to verify the authenticity, there is a QR code given with the box to check. Once you can it, it will take you to the AGV website on your app which will show you the details of the product to verify. Thankfully everything checked out.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_box.jpg

There were 5-6 in stock, but I went for the matte black. I had decided on either to get this or in white. I was also not really into graphics and designs. Something about the plain color with AGV's Italian flavored logo made it more aesthetically pleasing. One surprising thing is the K1S comes with a normal cardboard box and has a AGV tag on the helmet cover instead of the logo imprinted like the last K1. As mentioned, the authenticity checked out thankfully. Now coming to the serious bits.

Pros:

1. ECE 22.06 (latest standard) and DOT certified.
2. I went for the L size which fit well. A good snug fit with enough breathable space. Cushioning is very comfortable.
3. Ventilation is amazing! It has 5 vents in the front with an integrated spoiler in the back. This is one helmet I can use comfortably in the typical humid climate of Chennai with the visor down without complaining. At good speeds, it beautifully channels airflow keeping your face fresh for the most part.
4. The visor is also great. Crystal clear. By default it comes with a clear visor with a provision for pinlock. I guess it is also possible to get a smoke visor but I very much prefer the clear one which can be used even after the sun goes down.
5. Double D rings, at first I thought it was cumbersome to fasten, but just over 2-3 days, got used to it.
6. Beautiful Design

Cons:

1. Non ISI
2. Price !

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_bag.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_1.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_2.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_3.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_4.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_5.jpg

In the end, really happy with this helmet. I felt it suited me and my R15 really well. Its one of those helmets which you want to have rather more than need to have. I can easily see this lasting me the entire lifespan of 5-6 years without aging badly. Overall, I would say, if anyone is looking for a premium helmet, and has a dilemma on the cost to value part, I would say it is definitely worth the shot. Afterall, in the large scheme of things, its a small price to pay for your head!

Ride Safe!
R15M_Rider is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 08:33   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
I see you've got the ECE22.06 version. Every place in Bangalore I see sells only 4 year old ECE22.05 stock. Interestingly they also seem to be asian fit versions (it said so on the box), which unfortunately does not fit my head. Is yours the european fit?
hikozaru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 17:48   #4124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
I see you've got the ECE22.06 version. Every place in Bangalore I see sells only 4 year old ECE22.05 stock. Interestingly they also seem to be asian fit versions (it said so on the box), which unfortunately does not fit my head. Is yours the european fit?
I am not finding any marking on my box suggesting the type of fit it is. So not sure. If by default it doesn’t have any fit markings, then it should be European I guess.
R15M_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 00:20   #4125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Has anyone used, or is using, the LS2 MX701 Carbon Explorer helmet?

What's your take on -
- Ventilation.
- Noise.
- Comfort.
- Fit.
- Wind buffetting. At what speeds.
- Ability to wear regular glasses easily over long durations.
- Sizing.
I haven’t used the mx701, but I have picked up and am currently using the mx702.

I did have the 701 carbon side by side to compare, and found them to be visually similar.

In my 702, I can wear glasses without much problems. It might take a couple of weeks for the pads to get shaped to your face, after which wearing glasses will not be any hindrance at all.

In the brief time I wore the 701C in the store, it felt ok on the head. The fact that it was carbon didn’t seem to translate to a lighter feel when being worn.
The quality on the carbon variant definitely seems to be better than the other variants.

The other aspects you’re asking are quite subjective and differ from person to person. Try to check with the store if they’d allow you to wear it for a short ride, or wear it for a longer time around the store.

I picked my up my MX702 at Helmet Paradise, next to MTR and opposite Urvashi theatre.

I’m sorry my insights might not answer your question directly, but hope it helps in some way.
kaushalswarup is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks