Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 15:06   #4066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Axxis Wolf DS Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
The fundamental question I'd like to ask is whether this is an inherent problem with goggles or it might be specific to these Peruna goggles. I did some research online for goggles with wide FOV and seems like 100% Barstow could be a good option, albeit expensive. Please help.
Yes! Thats an inherent problem with the googles and severely limits the FOV. I have an LS2 google which does the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring_spirit View Post
How is the performance in terms of ventilation, buffeting and wind noise. I own a axor apex and my major concern with it is wind noise.
Ventilation is really good compared to the Race/Sport Touring helmets I have used till now. I ride a naked bike with the Axxis and wind noise is very much there even with the stock visor and big chin curtain. I ride with ear plugs for longer distances. The wind noise might be slightly better with ADV bikes with tall windscreen.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 12:47   #4067
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Recently got myself a ARAI Tour Cross V (Tour cross five).

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-_mg_1708-copy.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_9585_e20240412-copy.jpg

Why?
  • Safest
  • Very comfortable, snug fit on the head.
  • Flexible - can be used with googles, tour or street mode by removing the beak.
  • Ventilation is fabulous.
iamahunter is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 13:33   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Attachment 2595963

Attachment 2595964

Why?
  • Safest
  • Flexible - can be used with googles, tour or street mode by removing the beak.
Congrats! That looks solid!
If you could share, does the beak affect you when riding at 100-120kph? Or is there any point where the beak does affect you due to buffeting?
Might also help if you could share a pic of you with helmet on the bike to see the position of your visor (+ extension).
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 18:19   #4069
BHPian

Quote:

Why?
  • Safest
The helmet looks really solid and the design looks neat, as expected from a quality helmet. I am also in the market for a good quality helmet but yet to finalize one.

Same query as shyamg28, I always had this curiosity whenever I see helmets with attached beak (not sure about the correct term). Wont that push the head back and put pressure on the neck at highway speeds considering the windscreen will not deflect the wind at that point? Or is it aerodynamically designed to prevent that. I think it does helps in reducing fatigue from glare when the sun is directly overhead.

I have seen similar helmets with longer beaks used in motocross and somehow I always relate it to off-roading and motocross but not with highway touring.

Also, if you don't mind, could you please share the approximate cost and source?

Thanks.
minzanurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 19:14   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Congrats! That looks solid!
If you could share, does the beak affect you when riding at 100-120kph? Or is there any point where the beak does affect you due to buffeting?
So I have done only one short ride with this helmet which was around 200 kms. I did experience some buffeting around those speeds.

However, I don't think its the helmet; Why? because I get some buffeting on my regular helmets as well when the windscreen position is not correctly adjusted.
I rode with the windscreen not adjusted, I will try it during the next ride.

As far as I've seen with the previous generation on this helmet, the XD4, it does not have any buffeting.
But I will share my experience post a longer ride.

Quote:
Might also help if you could share a pic of you with helmet on the bike to see the position of your visor (+ extension).
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-c94a8903-copy1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
... I always had this curiosity whenever I see helmets with attached beak (not sure about the correct term). Wont that push the head back and put pressure on the neck at highway speeds considering the windscreen will not deflect the wind at that point? Or is it aerodynamically designed to prevent that. I think it does helps in reducing fatigue from glare when the sun is directly overhead.

I have seen similar helmets with longer beaks used in motocross and somehow I always relate it to off-roading and motocross but not with highway touring.

Also, if you don't mind, could you please share the approximate cost and source?
Few years ago I had a helmet with beak and it had a massive push back and gave me a neck pain. I think it was a Vega or Studds, I do not recall now.

However, this one aerodynamically very well tested, and one can notice it as there is no push back due to the beak.
Yes, Its reduces the glare and helps eyes relax, this was one of my main motive while considering this helmet.

The helmet is available as an import from various site - FC moto.

One more thing I forgot to add, the field of vision on both sides, up and down is fantastic!
iamahunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 13:10   #4071
BHPian

Tiivra helmets are finally available in some better colors instead of just gold. I really like the helmets even with the overall cringe they spew about plastic helmtes but I still won't recommend them to anyone because of the non-existent ECE certification.
Old 21st April 2024, 09:31   #4072
BANNED

Recently got SMK helmet. Very good quality and nice fitting. Foam quality is good too. It has spoiler too, not sure how much it will be useful though. Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240411_141812.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240411_141115.jpg
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 12:15   #4073
BHPian

Quote:
That Arai's one hell of a looker. Couple more queries:
1. How's the sound insulation compared to your previous helmet? Is it super quiet?
2. Is it too tight to fit a SENA or Cardo?
mugen_pinaki27 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 15:45   #4074

Hi,
Anyone using cotton to muffle wind noise? How does it compare to actual earplugs designed for riding? I've been using cotton for a while now with MT Hummer in the city and KYT TT Course and I feel that the wind noise is muffled to a great extent. So, is it justified to spend thousands of rupees on high end earplugs?
Old 21st April 2024, 17:54   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS_23 View Post
Hi,
Anyone using cotton to muffle wind noise? How does it compare to actual earplugs designed for riding? I've been using cotton for a while now with MT Hummer in the city and KYT TT Course and I feel that the wind noise is muffled to a great extent. So, is it justified to spend thousands of rupees on high end earplugs?
No need to spend 1000s on high end plugs. Have been using corded foam plugs for years now. It's cheap and effective. Would recommend using it a few times and throwing it away. Can't comment on how it compares to cotton though.
My suggestion would be the Honeywell ones instead of 3M ones for its quality. Attaching screenshot. (These were far cheaper a few years back. )
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot_20240421175010480_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg  

Thamps is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 18:51   #4076
BHPian

After 3 years of use, I retired my trusted helmet today, which served me well over roughly 19,000 Kms (I had this back when I had my Ather as well). It was in essence, a rebranded Axor Rage, sold by Royal Enfield as the 'Street Prime' which was one of the few entry-level ECE 22.05 certified helmets at the time. Whilst it may not look like it in the picture, it is pretty nicked all over (No Major Crashes)

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-old-hamlet.jpeg

My knowledge of helmets, (what little I have) since then has evolved quite a bit since then, and with the introduction of the ECE 22.06 standard, almost 20 years since the erstwhile 22.05, coupled with observations I made whilst touring, I knew it would make sense for me to upgrade my helmet now.

Observation 1: A pinlock lens is significantly more useful than any of the generic stick-on anti-fog mechanisms

Observation 2: An internal Sun visor is an absolute must for someone like me who will use the helmet every day, leaving when the sun is out and returning when the moon is out.

Observation 3: I really need a quieter helmet for touring, but not at the complete cost of ventilation

Observation 4: A D Ring System may be more fiddly, but safety is paramount

The main contenders were the LS2 Storm II and the MT Thunder 4 SV. Long story short, and I chose the former purely because it made a lot more sense in terms of cost. The MT, priced at 12950, didn't have a D Ring Setup, which I was willing to overlook, but where it got me was the lack of an included Pinlock!

The Visor Fogging up had been one of my biggest gripes since the start, and a Pinlock 70 and above was an absolute must for me. The LS2 includes this in the box, and certain variants of the Storm II, include D Ring Straps as well.

IMPORTANT: There is a sizing variation between the Storm and the Storm II, which I discovered the hard way. This is only apparent when both are kept next to each other. LS2 still has the same old size guide on their website, which sizes are also printed onto the back of the helmet. My head's circumference is a little over 57cms (Under 58cms), meaning that a Medium should fit me fine. A Gloss Black helmet was procured in this size which I happily took home. When I say happily, that was for 30 minutes. I'd tested the helmet for about 20 minutes at the store, checking for pressure points and whatnot already. However after 45 minutes of riding, it gave me a splitting headache, not concentrated on a single point but in general. This may have something to do with the fact that the LS2 is slightly more oval in shape, but a medium was just not happening.

Luckily since I had the tags and whatnot I was able to return the helmet for a different size. We discovered the sizing difference when I tried the Storm and the Storm II back to back, wherein the latter was much more compact. For my head, only the XL Size () was properly snug on the cheek whilst having minimal pressure on the forehead, whilst not being loose. This is why I strongly urge everyone to try out the helmets before purchasing them and avoiding an online purchase.

However, this shade of grey looks absolutely stunning in person I must say. The shade is called "Jeans Titanium Gloss" and looks like a smoked nardo grey in person. Coming from a person who wears all black all the time, this looks better

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-front.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-side-profile.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sun-visor.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-back.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-d-ring.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-c30.jpeg
I've been using the Bluarmor c30 for about 2,000 Kms now, will drop a long term review later on

I don't want to get into a detailed review as multiple others, such as @neil.jericho have left detailed reviews of the Storm. The chin vent mechanism is a lot smoother to operate now though, which I believe was an issue earlier. The helmet is additionally ISI certified (Not a Sticker, its under the paint) which is great!

The Ventilation is excellent and the noise is much better contained (But not completely quiet). The inner fabric padding is super thick and of excellent quality. The paint quality is top-notch, and as Neil mentioned, this visor is absolutely beautiful. Crystal Clear, to say the least. The only gripe I have is that the internal sun visor does not completely lower to be flush with the breath deflector, meaning there is a small gap where regular light can be seen at the bottom, which is a little disconcerting.

I do have some sentimental attachment to my first helmet, which is why I decided to keep it and procure an additional helmet to stand for it. Here's both of them together!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-both.jpeg

Aditya at Rally Motorsports, Whitefield, Bengaluru, was really patient and helpful throughout! Really grateful to him for this.

Overall, I'm stoked with my purchase and pray for many more happy and safe miles with this lid!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 20:01   #4077
BHPian

Must say, the LS2 Storm is a beautiful helmet. I echo all your feelings regarding fit, finish, ventilation, sound insulation and material quality. May you have a zillion safe miles with the LS2.
Cheers
PS
I clicked this picture this morning before my Sunday ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20240410_034949.jpg  

rajeevsulu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 07:31   #4078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS_23 View Post
So, is it justified to spend thousands of rupees on high end earplugs?
I would suggest starting from basic 3M or Honeywell earplugs and then slowly move up the ladder.

I joined the earplug bandwagon recently and they make a world of difference. Just ensure not to wear them very snug, so that we get just the right amount of ambient noise.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 16:11   #4079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yes! Thats an inherent problem with the googles and severely limits the FOV. I have an LS2 google which does the same.

Hello, we meet again! I suspected the same, it's the design that limits the field of view. There are some goggles I saw online which have a separate bracket to hold the band. They claimed that the extended bracket helps with a wider field of view but cannot be certain about this claim without trying. I think mostly I will drop the idea of these offroad goggles and pick up clear or slightly tinted sports goggles/sunglasses to protect my eyes.
Old 23rd April 2024, 13:04   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
There are some goggles I saw online which have a separate bracket to hold the band. They claimed that the extended bracket helps with a wider field of view but cannot be certain about this claim without trying.
Hello! If you are talking about Outrigger bracket on the googles, I can assure you that it doesn't do much compared to the FOV offered by an ADV helmet with the visor or a normal full face helmet! My LS2 google has the same.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-outrigger.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks