Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 17:04   #4021
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Tiivra X-Roads Composite Fiber Helmet- User Review

I currently use an MT Mugello series helmet that I bought in 2018 and have been on the lookout for an upgrade for a while now. I am also planning to upgrade my current motorcycle (2018 Yamaha FZ25), and while that is yet to happen, I took the plunge with the helmet purchase recently and thought I would share my experience of using the same.

My primary criteria were to move away from polycarbonate to composite fiber/carbon fiber shells. While I was ready to spend the premium for the same, getting my hands on good helmets like the HJC F71 Carbon or the AGV K6 proved to be increasingly challenging. Even if I did manage to find these in India, the premium demanded compared to their prices abroad were sometimes more than 2X. I wanted to extensively try out these helmets in person before splurging big money on them, hence asking someone to carry it along from EU or USA was also out of the question. Thus, the purchase was stalled for quite some time.

During my MBA days, one of my close friends joined a startup focusing on performance riding gears called Tiivra. Back then, we were curious about the company, both as business students and enthusiasts, and we got multiple chances to interact with the founders and discuss the vision and what they were trying to achieve with the product. We even prepared case studies about the industry, analyzing the current void in the Indian market for indigenous performance motorcycle accessory brands. Tiivra had prototypes for their helmets showcased, and their main USP was the use of Fiberglass instead of polycarbonate for their shells. While fiberglass helmets are nothing new among performance brands like AGV and HJC, this was a first among Indian helmet brands at that time.

They finally launched the helmet for sale last year, but unfortunately, the initial sales were online only. I contacted my friend to see if there was any way I could try it out, and he agreed to bring one helmet along during his next trip to Bangalore.
I wore the helmet continuously for 30 minutes to understand the pressure points and fit and was impressed with how light the helmet was compared to my MT. The maximum size offered was XL, and while this was very snug, I figured it would stretch out with use since my 2XL MT has become pretty loose over the years.

However, while the helmet was certified by ISI and DOT, it was missing an official ECE certification, which was a major point of concern considering ECE had the most stringent parameters among the three. This stopped me from making the final plunge, and I conveyed this concern to my friend as well. He put me in touch with one of the design and R&D leads, who was extremely friendly and more than willing to answer all my queries in detail. He explained that the homologation and finalization of the design took longer than expected due to a last-minute change in vendor, which meant they missed the deadline to apply for ECE 22.05 standard. However, he assured me that the helmet easily exceeds 22.05 standards and shared the results of an impact absorption test conducted at an NABL accredited lab as proof for the same. He also assured me that they would be applying for the ECE 22.06 certification soon. The reasonings sounded acceptable and genuine and alleviated my safety concerns to a great extent. For the asking price of Rs 9,950, I felt Tiivra was a more VFM choice compared to similarly priced models from MT, Axor, etc., and while this definitely cannot be compared with or replace more expensive models like the F70 carbon or K6, this could replace my MT Mugello for the time being, till I get my hands on one of the above.

There were multiple designs to choose from, and while I liked Buzzy Noir the most, it seems my preference was echoed by many since I couldn’t get my hands on the same despite waiting for over a week. Only Sabre and X-Roads were available, and I decided to go ahead with X-Roads, considering it was the more visually muted one between the two. I have been using the helmet for over a month now with a couple of long rides thrown in as well, along with the regular city grind.

Specs:
Weight- 1350gms
Fastening- Double D Ring
Visor- Clear with provision to add Pinlock

Pros:
- The reduced weight (about 200gms) compared to my MT is noticeable, especially during long rides. The numbness and discomfort I used to feel on my neck have been delayed now, and I can continue riding for an additional hour or so before feeling any sort of discomfort on my neck.
- Buffeting during high speeds is reduced, relieving pressure on the neck even further. I am not sure if the helmet spoiler has anything to do with the same, but the difference is again noticeable.
- Pocket to insert communication/Bluetooth device- this was something I missed on my MT, and now I can get the Bluarmor C30 Intercom as an add-on soon.
- The visor seal is very effective and can cut-off dust and smoke much better compared to my MT. However, this also means opening and closing the visor takes more effort, especially while riding.
- The vents on the helmet are pretty good at circulating air while on the move and keeping the insides cool.
- No undue pressure on any part of the head even after continuous use. This, however, is subjective and can change based on the head shape of each individual.

Cons:
- Slight wind noise at higher speeds, which might necessitate the use of earplugs for long rides
- Fit and finish on some of the plastic inserts are still not at the level of international brands
- The padding for the XL shell seems to be a little thinner compared to the 2XL shell of my MT
- Lack of a 2XL shell size, which is available for most other brands in this segment
- Lack of a standalone sun visor, which would necessitate the purchase of a tinted visor or using normal sunglasses, both of which are not ideal and long-term solutions.
- No Pin-lock available in the box
- Lack of ECE certification needs to be addressed at the earliest considering most competing models come with the same
- Personally, not a fan of the color and design, but this is subjective, and I always prioritize fundamental aspects like fit, comfort, and safety over visual attributes

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase. It is good to see Indian brands taking the effort to match international standards when it comes to such performance gears, and I hope we get to see more such products in the future. I will try and keep you guys updated on my observations as I use it over the next few months
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240224_120558.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240224_120605.jpg  

Fury is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 19:08   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Tiivra X-Roads Composite Fiber Helmet- User Review
The entire marketing of the brand seems to be dissing on polycarbonate shells with misleading quotes like

"Plastic (ABS & Polycarbonate) helmets localise impact which can lead to brain trauma. It is only EPS that saves."

So in short, all those polycarbonate helmets which have been ECE 22.06 certified are trash while their non certified fiberglass shell is safe?

On the contrary, Polycarbonate shells are known to be more flexible than fiberglass and some argue that they are the safer ones in low speed impacts. Which one to believe?
Thamps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 19:48   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
The entire marketing of the brand seems to be dissing on polycarbonate shells with misleading quotes like

"Plastic (ABS & Polycarbonate) helmets localise impact which can lead to brain trauma. It is only EPS that saves."

So in short, all those polycarbonate helmets which have been ECE 22.06 certified are trash while their non certified fiberglass shell is safe?

On the contrary, Polycarbonate shells are known to be more flexible than fiberglass and some argue that they are the safer ones in low speed impacts. Which one to believe?
I agree with your point on the marketing part. That is one of the reasons I decided to post my user experience in the first place. I don't believe that Polycarbonate shells with ECE 22.06 ratings are any less safe compared to a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell. In fact, I don't think the testing criteria differentiates their procedure based on the shell material. A fairer comparison would be with a similarly weighted polycarbonate shell (less than 1400gms) which might not meet the safety standards of a glass fiber or carbon fiber helmets, to the best of my knowledge. This is the main advantage that pushed me to this purchase in the first place. If you see above, even Royal Enfield has launched ECE 22.06 helmets that weights more than 1800 gms. Compared to something like that I feel Tiivra offers a more comfortable solution at similar prices.
Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 09:33   #4024
BHPian

They could work on the paint scheme/colour as well. Gold not done right feels cheap to me.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 12:01   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I agree with your point on the marketing part. That is one of the reasons I decided to post my user experience in the first place. I don't believe that Polycarbonate shells with ECE 22.06 ratings are any less safe compared to a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell. In fact, I don't think the testing criteria differentiates their procedure based on the shell material. A fairer comparison would be with a similarly weighted polycarbonate shell (less than 1400gms) which might not meet the safety standards of a glass fiber or carbon fiber helmets, to the best of my knowledge. This is the main advantage that pushed me to this purchase in the first place. If you see above, even Royal Enfield has launched ECE 22.06 helmets that weights more than 1800 gms. Compared to something like that I feel Tiivra offers a more comfortable solution at similar prices.
Despite the weight advantage, I don't see why someone should be the guinea pig of a budding Helmet brand in the current scenario. It is the most important piece of safety equipment for a rider. We have plenty of established brands with ECE 22.05/22.06 or even Sharp 4-5 ratings in the price range. Let them walk the talk and ECE certify their lids first because talk is cheap . Not all polycarb shells which pass ECE 22.06 are 1800+ gms.

MT revenge 4 is 1500 +/- 50 gms
MT Targo S is 1450 +/- 50 gms
LS2 Storm 2 (fancy polycarb KPA shell) is 1530 +/- 30 gms
LS2 Stream 2 (KPA shell) is 1550 +/- 50 gms
b16h22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 13:17   #4026
BHPian

There seems to be so many things I find unacceptable with Tiivra's helmet. This is based purely on what they've mentioned on their website.

- The brand website is mostly peddling marketing claims without providing any evidence to back them up. Stuff like plastic being fit only for buckets while EPS saves. That makes no sense to me. This coming from a brand that hasn't even got any ECE certification.

- They claim their helmets exceed ECE standards by 70%. How do you accept this as true without ECE certification. If they missed the boat for ECE 22.05, they could have applied for the ECE 22.06 certification testing for it was already in place. That they did not implies that the helmet wouldn't have passed it.

- They say their helmets are lightweight but that's an average weight (for an ECE22.05 claimed helmet). Most helmets in composite fibre with ECE22.06 are on the heavier side as compared to their ECE22.05 counterparts. Shoei and Arais are heavy too, but have excellent weight distribution.

- No mention of the external shell sizes. Are S to XL all of the same external size? Just imagine a small head wearing an XL size external shell.
Also, Is that why a 2XL isn't available?

- Can't comment on fit and finish as I haven't physically held one in my hands. But as @Senotrius has correctly mentioned, gold/yellow needs to be done well to look good.

In my opinion, the brand at Rs.9975 is not at all value for money. For around Rs. 10,000 or more, the competitors offer much more.
-The LS2 Storm is now ECE22.06 certified. It's an excellent helmet for the price
-The MT Thunder 4 is another ECE22.06 for a bit more.
If I wanted an ECE 22.05 helmet there are so many choices at cheaper prices.
Yes, these are polycarbonate lids, but they are ECE certified. The Tiivra is not.

(The reason I'm stressing on ECE rating is because as of now that's the gold standard of ratings)

SMK has a Carbon fibre lid. Now isn't carbon fibre better than Composite?

I have nothing personal against Tiivra, but what irritates me is them peddling only marketing phrases.
Where the safety of our heads is concerned, why compromise by trusting claims made without any evidence.

Last edited by Darkcloud : 13th March 2024 at 13:22. Reason: Minor typos
Darkcloud is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 18:47   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
- They claim their helmets exceed ECE standards by 70%. How do you accept this as true without ECE certification. If they missed the boat for ECE 22.05, they could have applied for the ECE 22.06 certification testing for it was already in place. That they did not implies that the helmet wouldn't have passed it.
I messaged them about this, and they mentioned that they have applied for ECE 22.06 certification, expecting to obtain it in a few months. Additionally, they're working on introducing new colors that will be launched soon. Personally, I wouldn't consider a helmet without an ECE 22.06 certificate.

Regarding fiberglass vs. polycarbonate, fiberglass should be preferred, as top brands like Arai, Shoei, and AGV use it in their premium helmets. Fiberglass is known for better force dissipation compared to polycarbonate shells, which tend to deform upon impact. Fiberglass is also more heat-resistant and, as someone mentioned, lighter. On the other hand, when it comes to certifications, you can either meet the certification requirements or go above and beyond for added protection. For instance, Arai doesn't need to modify their ECE 22.05 helmet to pass the ECE 22.06 certifications because their helmets are inherently safe. However, this might be a unique case as the brand is dedicated to producing the safest helmets. In the context of India, an ECE-certified helmet should be safe enough unless you ride recklessly.

The issue with Tiivra is that they come across as an arrogant brand, even though I appreciate what they are doing. There's no need to mock other brands with quotes that ABS is suitable for buckets when there helmets cost almost twice compared to the some ECE certified helmets, especially in a country where many can barely afford entry-level bikes, and helmet material is not a priority for most. I would be happier if ECE-certified helmets were more affordable, allowing more people to purchase them and avoid relying on unsafe alternatives.
scarn is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 19:41   #4028
BHPian

Hello Riders,

I need help!!

I am currently 19 years old, live in Pune and ride a Yamaha Aerox 155. I have been riding bikes and scooters since I was 15 (on private roads under supervision) and I am quite a pro in handling the bike under intense situations. The only thing I have been taking for granted is my own safety. I have never worn a helmet since I have started to ride. This is because of my ignorance and also the lack of adherence to traffic rules in Pune by the people and the cops.

I have come to the realisation that I need to wear a helmet after witnessing an accident infront of me and continuous instructions/requests/taunts by my parents.

I am looking for a helmet. I am a newbie in this space and have ZERO knowledge about helmets. I will buy one purely based on Team BHP suggestions and reviews. So please MY LIFE IN YOUR HANDS
I have few requirements:
1. Sun Visor
2. Inbuilt music/Bluetooth system (I don't want the hassle of an external Bluetooth device)
3. Budget Friendly - I am not willing to spend too much on this. I know it's for my safety but budget is quite important. Anything around 3-4k is my budget.

Open to all suggestions and options from anyone. Please this is a genuine request, I have no one else to ask. Any store owner or employee will try to sell me their product rather than giving genuine advice.

Regards,
Sphere
Old 13th March 2024, 20:44   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
Hello Riders,

I need help!!. So please MY LIFE IN YOUR HANDS
I have few requirements:
1. Sun Visor
2. Inbuilt music/Bluetooth system (I don't want the hassle of an external Bluetooth device)
3. Budget Friendly - I am not willing to spend too much on this. I know it's for my safety but budget is quite important. Anything around 3-4k is my budget.

Open to all suggestions and options from anyone. Please this is a genuine request, I have no one else to ask. Any store owner or employee will try to sell me their product rather than giving genuine advice.

Regards,
Sphere
The fact that you've realized this sooner rather than later, is simply a straightforward one that you've taken your life in your own hands and that's a great first step towards your safety -- and in the process helping a fellow rider mature.

Depending on your budget.

1. SMK Gullwing and Twister Series are VFM helmets with sun visor (BT Compatible).
2. Axor Apex Series. All Axor Apex series come with internal sun visor (BT Compatible)
3. MT Thunder Series, all the variants of Thunder come with internal sun visor (BT Compatible)

Even budget friendly.
4. IGNYTE IGN Series with internal sun visor
5. Steelbird SBA ... etc

Remember, a noggin with a helmet is much safer than a noggin without a helmet, in any case. My personal pick would be SMK or MT series, they offer great VFM and very good quality. Remember, no helmet will come with Bluetooth communication device pre-installed. You'll have to buy the Bluetooth communicator system separately and then install it inside your helmet.

You can search the web with their respective names given above and make an informed decision based on your budget. Also crucial to remember, is if you can check a helmet for fit in-person (being your first purchase) this gives you a better idea as to a helmet's fit and feel good factor which I'd strongly recommend.

You can purchase these helmets online -- all the while making sure you follow their size check guideline and make an informed purchase.

Good luck!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 20:44   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
I have come to the realisation that I need to wear a helmet after witnessing an accident infront of me and continuous instructions/requests/taunts by my parents.
Happy you've come out of the squid-o-sphere

Quote:

I have few requirements:
1. Sun Visor
You aren't going to get an integrated Bluetooth system; I'd say save up and get a good one later on. For this price, pick up the Axor Apex or Street. Please do not wear earphones under your helmet. It will completely compromise your spatial awareness, and thereby your safety.

Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 23:17   #4031
Distinguished - BHPian

Thoughts on Tiivra helmets

Fury, congratulations on your new Tiivra helmet and thanks for sharing your details impressions on it. Its been hard to find feedback on the product from an owner.

I find myself agreeing with the sentiments of other TBHPians on the company and their overall stance. Recently, I got to check out one of their helmets and within 2 minutes, I returned it as I was so disappointed with the paint quality, fit and finish of the plastics and everything else. I also spoke to a helmet store owner regarding the company and the people behind it. He dismissed Tiivra as a company that is churning out helmets without knowing what they are doing.

From what I can see,
- No ECE certification and yet they are bashing other companies which have passed the test. This is like my neighbour telling me that his son is so much smarter than all the other kids who are writing the CAT exam in 2024, but he forgot to submit his own application in time. Bravo!!
- The messaging on their website is cringe worthy and appeals to the really young hep crowd but the pricing of Rs 9,950 is nowhere close to what that market segment can afford. The enthusiast market that has the pockets for a helmet of Rs 10K is going to be turned off by the low brow messaging. Marketing blunder 101.
- OK, so you dont have a great brand (that's fine, everyone has to start somewhere) and you want to differentiate yourself in the market (great idea!). Its best to do something different. Right? Where things went wrong was the questionable decision to take the cheapest looking shades of gold to copiously paint your helmets with. Strategic mistake #1.
- OK, so no brand and poor differentiation choice aside, at least the company focused on quality levels to make potential customers pick their helmets over well established brands like MT and LS2. Right? Wrong. Strategic mistake #2.
- OK, so no brand, poor differentiation, poor fit and finish aside, at least they threw in a pin lock visor like the competition does. Right? Wrong. Strategic mistake #3.
- OK, so no brand, poor differentiation, poor fit and finish, poor specs aside, at least its competitively priced. Right? Wrong again. Strategic mistake #4.

Honestly, even when (if?) Tiivra gets their ECE 22.06 certification, I dont see any reason to suggest their helmets in today's marketplace, when we have excellent choices from well established companies like MT and LS2 in the Rs 10K price range. Airoh's arrivals are also right around the corner.

It is great for the Indian motorcycling enthusiast community that we are getting more helmet options. But helmets that are neither ECE certified, nor of good fit and finish, nor affordable, nor feature packed, stand little to no real chance of succeeding in this Indian market.

I wish Tiivra well but I find it hard to see them sustaining as a business in the medium to long run.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 13th March 2024 at 23:40.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 23:31   #4032

Hello All!

Any riders here having idea on LS2 Stream II? How good is the helmet, compared to MT Thunder 3 Pro and others? I couldn't find much info online, and the model code differs from the one in the international site.

LS2 India - https://ls2helmetsindia.com/product/...h-v-yellow-06/

LS2 International - https://ls2helmets.com/helmets/full-face/stream-ii

Are these the same models? Any leads on availability/pricing in Bangalore / Chennai would be much appreciated, thank you!
Old 13th March 2024, 23:46   #4033
BHPian

Re: Thoughts on Tiivra helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
It is great for the Indian motorcycling enthusiast that we are getting more helmet options. But helmets that are neither ECE certified, nor of good fit and finish, nor affordable, nor feature packed, stand little to no real chance of succeeding in this Indian market.

I wish Tiivra well but I find it hard to see them sustaining as a business in the medium to long run.
100℅ agree to all the points. They seem to be riding the made in India tag a bit too much without much to offer, like Micromax.

They will Sustain probably selling their gears and accessories. Had bought their balaclavas(at a discount). The stitching and fit is nice with decent material, again at the discounted price.
But for helmets, I would rather stick with well known brands with relevant certifications even if they are made of "bucket" materials offered cheaper.

Didn't want to open the can of worms regarding the authenticity of NABL certification since a similar thing had happened many years back to a couple of brands with their India specific models. IYKYK

Last edited by Thamps : 13th March 2024 at 23:49.
Thamps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 00:42   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The fact that you've realized this sooner rather than later, is simply a straightforward one that you've taken your life in your own hands and that's a great first step towards your safety -- and in the process helping a fellow rider mature.

Depending on your budget.

1. SMK Gullwing and Twister Series are VFM helmets with sun visor (BT Compatible).
2. Axor Apex Series. All Axor Apex series come with internal sun visor (BT Compatible)
3. MT Thunder Series, all the variants of Thunder come with internal sun visor (BT Compatible)

Even budget friendly.
4. IGNYTE IGN Series with internal sun visor
5. Steelbird SBA ... etc
I'm glad I realized my mistake early, thanks for the support and the wide range of helmets. I really look up to riders and aim to be in a group soon, here goes the first step.
1. SMK Gullwig and Twister series are quite out of my budget, but I'll still check them out in the store just incase they have discounts or I like them.
2. I have liked the Axor Apex Venomous and will check it out in the store.
3. MT Thunder series are also out of my budget, got to check for offers.

4. I have really liked the IGNYTE IGN 4 and it is within my budget too, I'll have to check it out at a store before buying it. Can you please let me know if it is Bluetooth compatible because you have exclusively mentioned it for the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Happy you've come out of the squid-o-sphere
Please do not wear earphones under your helmet. It will completely compromise your spatial awareness, and thereby your safety.
Thank you for the support, I'm glad people are supportive.
I will definitely not wear earphones under the helmet, and invest in a good BT system.
Old 14th March 2024, 01:47   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbiceps00 View Post
Hello All!

Any riders here having idea on LS2 Stream II? How good is the helmet, compared to MT Thunder 3 Pro and others? I couldn't find much info online, and the model code differs from the one in the international site.

LS2 India - https://ls2helmetsindia.com/product/...h-v-yellow-06/

LS2 International - https://ls2helmets.com/helmets/full-face/stream-ii

Are these the same models? Any leads on availability/pricing in Bangalore / Chennai would be much appreciated, thank you!
This video might help. Not really a review but more like an in depth first look into the finer details.

b16h22 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks