Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2024, 09:28   #3961

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Mine comes with a double D ring. I am given to understand that the ratcheting mechanism is not allowed on tracks.
Thanks for clarifying. The web site says "Micrometric or D-ring fasteners." against the model, and doesn't clearly mention which one.

Thanks again
Old 15th January 2024, 14:43   #3962
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboride View Post
Visited multiple shops in Cochin today, but none of them stock MT anymore. As per them, MT is going to stop production and hence they don't want to stock anymore.
The dealers are just bluffing.

Go to https://g.co/kgs/DY6iH2E for MT helmets.
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 16:06   #3963

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The dealers are just bluffing.

Go to https://g.co/kgs/DY6iH2E for MT helmets.
They seem to have a lot of collection. Will checkout this store this week.

Thanks so much for the update.
turboride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:20   #3964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkSolo View Post
Does any of the members have any experience or feedback on the Korda helmets? I am looking at a modular/flip up helmet for daily city commute and the Korda Discovery fits the bill. Looking to pick one up in Bangalore
I am also looking for a modular helmet. Options I could find below 10k are - Korda (2 designs) and SMK Gullwing. The Gullwing seemed better built but it has slightly outdated safety certification. Also the Gullwing is heavier buy 200g over Korda.
Haven't made a decision yet.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 21:45   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I am also looking for a modular helmet. Options I could find below 10k are - Korda (2 designs) and SMK Gullwing. The Gullwing seemed better built but it has slightly outdated safety certification. Also the Gullwing is heavier buy 200g over Korda.
I havent tried out the SMK yet, but since you mentioned its heavier than the Korda, i guess it makes sense to go ahead with Korda. I've tried it out at Powersports in HSR. Seems to be a good fit, only grouse being there arent many graphics options.
kkSolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:48   #3966
BHPian

I'm looking to pick up the LS2 storm ii, here in Bangalore.
Adeshwar's, Powersports in HSR, are a couple of the places I know that might stock LS2s.
Any other places that would have stock?

Also, folks who have been using the helmet, how is the weight distribution, and sound isolation?

I'm looking to pick this up as a secondary road-focused helmet, alongside my current main helmet, a bell MX-9 adventure
Old 18th January 2024, 02:16   #3967
Senior - BHPian

The Nolan N21 Open face is a snug fit, and extremely long lasting (Previous one wore out well in 7 years). This matches my Himalayan 450 Hblack. The switch that you see is a new addition to activate a mini visor, which the previous model lacked.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_7140.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:41   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
Adeshwar's, Powersports in HSR, are a couple of the places I know that might stock LS2s.

Also, folks who have been using the helmet, how is the weight distribution, and sound isolation?

I'm looking to pick this up as a secondary road-focused helmet, alongside my current main helmet, a bell MX-9 adventure
I've been using it for about 6 months now.
Weight distribution is good, sound isolation is good at city speeds. On the highway as usual you would need some earplugs.
aston_martyr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 13:49   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post

Powersports do not keep LS2 helmets. You can try it in Moto ProGear in HSR, they had a fair collection, Orion Motors Koramangala (opp. Forum/ Nexus Mall) is another option, Adheswar Riders Arena is the go to place for LS2, as they have almost all models available, in most shades & graphics.

I bought FF800 from Riders Arena a few months back, so far am happy with it, weight distribution is good, Noise levels are reasonably high at highway speeds (at 100+ its severe, you will for sure need earplugs), in city its totally manageable.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:26   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Re: Axxis Wolf DS Hydra

Recently picked up my first adventure helmet, the Axxis Wolf DS Hydra. My other helmets are AGV K3 SV and Airoh GP550S. I always wanted to get an adventure helmet but almost all of the bikes I had over the last 5 years were all supersports, hence I never needed one. Felt the time was just right when I recently picked up a naked motorcycle.

My personal favorite was Icon Variant but there seems to be a shortage in availability of it and even the new Pro version and did not want to wait for shipping, customs clearance and end up with the wrong size. Another favorite was Airoh Commander, but didn't want to spend that much since this helmet will be basically used for office runs and commuting. Axxis Wolf felt just right for my budget, it was available for trial at a local store and hence made the decision process easier.

Name:  Hydra.png
Views: 447
Size:  208.0 KB

Alternatives considered were Royal Enfield adventure helmet and one from Axor, but found them to be too flimsy on feel. Axxis Wolf on the other hand felt solid, has DOT, ECE and ISI certifications and felt it was well made for the price tag of just under Rs.10,000. The claddings are comfortable and with the materials looking and feeling good and look like they are made to last. The fit is snug and feels perfect for me. The on and off with the chin curtain is a bit difficult as the chin curtain is really big and gives good coverage. I have removed the curtain for the time being.

The main reason for getting an ADV helmet was to enjoy the superior field of vision and ventilation they offer. As expected, the peak generates considerable lift for speeds north of 110kmph but is super useful in blocking overhead sun till afternoon or so. Oh, it also comes with an internal sun visor.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20231127205442.jpg

Initially I felt a slight improvement in the field of view after switching from the Airoh GP race helmet to this, but the real difference was felt when I took out the Airoh GP after 3 weeks or so of using the Axxis Wolf! I felt that my vision is almost blocked by 40% and felt literally blinded during shoulder checks! That is when the difference in the visibility really hit me!

And it kind of suits the motorcycle!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20231225_000144_073.jpg
man_of_steel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 13:26   #3971
BHPian

What are options for a ADV kind of helmet which has a visor and pin lock. I am looking for a plain black so that I can add on some custom graphics.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:26   #3972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I have gone to check out modular helmets in LS2. Found a model called LS2 FF324 Metro Evo. Fit was nice but the helmet was manufactured in 2022 and except ISI 'sticker' on backside didn't have any other certification homologation on it.
Shop guy insisted that it has ECE and DOT also, but was not able to produce the outside box atleast to show confirm the certification data.
This is a reputed shop (dynamic riderz) and still they were not able convincingly show homologation which got me suspecting that this maybe one of those made for India products. Hence skipped it and decided to got with SMK Guillwing.

Wanted do away dealing with shops and found contact number of SMK statewide distributor. Called him and confirmed availability of size and went to his godown to check out the stock. The distributor was kind enough to show me different livery and sizes. I tried them there to see fit and that's when I realised that the internal dark visor doesn't close down fully and leaves gap just below eye line (as shown in the attached pic).
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot-20240121-2.03.17-pm.png
This causes distortion and inconvenience while viewing with spectacles ( using which is the primary reason to go with modular). So, conveyed him the same and he said he also distributes Ignyte and Axor helmets as well, if I maybe interested in them. However I wanted go with SMK and picked up a typhoon model that came with lovely color scheme that enhances visibility.
Below is the model that I picked up, cost is about 5k:
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240120_202422.jpg

The paint scheme is called 'motorhead':
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240120_215842.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240120_215849.jpg

It has an internal visor that closes down almost till nose deflector without warping vision. Comes with DOT and ECE 22.05 certification (not updated yet to 22.06) . Manufactured in Dec 2023 . Has double D-ring type closure.
Also has provision for including bluetooth intercom . Pinlock 30 is preinstalled.
The padding is different from MT/LS2 types but fit is fine.
Wearing spectacles is comfortable as well.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240120_220451.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20240120_220518.jpg
deetee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 09:26   #3973

anyone using the KYT NFR helmet ? Wanted to know how is the weight distribution , wind noise etc .
My budget is 15k and looking for a touring helmet.
Old 30th January 2024, 10:57   #3974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon.adv390 View Post
anyone using the KYT NFR helmet ? Wanted to know how is the weight distribution , wind noise etc .
My budget is 15k and looking for a touring helmet.
Was looking at the Matt Black TT Course but I got a really good deal on the NF-R which I just could not refuse

Pros
- Comfortable to wear with spectacles.
- Not too heavy not too light.

Cons [Comparison with HJC FG-17]
- I felt the padding on the HJC is more comfortable. Not that KYT is bad but the HJC is just better.
- Wind noise : Since this was a replacement to my TVS Xpod I initially used it when I was travelling on my scooter. Since the speeds were under 60 Kmph the wind noise was not audible. Above 80 Kmph wind noise is evident and during long rides it might make you uncomfortable. If you use earphones while doing long rides then I don't think wind noise will be an issue.

Are you open to other brands or have you finalized on KYT?
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20240130_0736192.jpg  

NB_4763 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:31   #3975

i went to a store near by and they didnt have my size for KYT TT or the NFR . Ended up buying MT Thunder 4 . a proper snug fit for now. I cant say much about the windnoise coz i have ridden by bike in city conditions where i havent been able to go beyond 50kmph.
falcon.adv390 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed