Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 21:20   #3901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
My only options are KYT NZ race, MT KRE, LS2 Thunder C, LS2 Thunder Carbon, all starting at 33k-45k. Out of these, the cheek padding on the NZ race on small size was not snug enough even on first wear and no one has XS size. Apparently each helmet needs to get certified separately for each (colour, size) variant and why Powersports said they will not be stocking a non medium, large sized KRE anytime soon.
To my knowledge, each size has to be certified separately, which makes complete sense. I doubt each colour variant has to be certified.

The real reason for the medium and large KRE being available is that those are the 2 most common sizes sold in Indian helmet stores. No dealer wants to be stuck with Small or XL sized inventory of expensive helmets that wont be sold for months on end.

Quote:
Only the small size LS2 Thunder C fits me but I am not entirely sold on buying a helmet for 34k when I am not sure I will be doing trackdays on the monthly. LS2 pulling stuff like this is not particularly confidence inspiring either. I cannot find these graphics on their international website. Overall, it feels very sketchy considering fake LS2s were rampant a few years ago.
The fake LS2 business happened 10 years ago. Those days are long gone. Which store did you find the LS2 Thunder in?

Quote:
Powersports mentioned that the MT Revenge 2 got ECE 22.06 certified a couple of weeks ago but those stocks would take until april next year. I tried the current one in small size and this was by far the most snug fit out of all the lids I tried. I heard from KYT dealers that MT helmets are quite a bit louder (I wear ear plugs on highway rides, I just do not want the lid screaming at me in some wide 4 lane roads in the city) than KYTs. The sales guy at Powersports did nothing to allay those fears and said that it depends on the head shape (fair enough). Perhaps the flusher cheek pads on the revenge might even make it quieter for me.
KYT dealers didnt have helmets to sell for quite some time. Once the current KYT stocks run out, we will see what they have to say about the competition Whether you ride with a KYT or MT or Arai or Axor helmet, you should ride with earplugs. So the feedback from the KYT dealers is a bit silly.

Quote:
Alternatively, I could wait for a week and see if KYT releases the R2R Pro which was apaprently showcased in IBW last year, but I cannot find any references to it in their european website. According to the indian website, this is ECE 22.06 certified, comes with D rings for 17k, half the price of a NZ race. But it also comes with a sun visor, so I am not sure if they will allow this on the track and I am not particularly thrilled about getting an 'Indian spec' product either.
It doesnt make any sense to wait.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 30th October 2023 at 21:49.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:02   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Which store did you find the LS2 Thunder in?
Moto pro gear, HSR had both the Thunder C and FIM certified Thunder carbon. Gear n ride, HSR had at least the Thunder C. I believe 6kiom also has the FIM Thunder at the moment.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:54   #3903
Distinguished - BHPian

A little birdie tells me that Givi will be entering the Indian helmet market next year, with a product range that includes rather affordable helmets. And yes, these helmets will be made in India.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:24   #3904

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
I went to the Bangalore distributor and checked the validity. The helmet is pretty decent and it has all the certifications. I infact got the ignyte-4 as he did not have the stocks yet and the 4 is lighter than 7. The fit is also good.
Sir, I am also looking to buy an ignyte. Could you please share the Bangalore distributors address ? Thanks.
Old 7th November 2023, 23:44   #3905
BHPian

Been meaning to share photos of my Helmets for a while. I ride a Suzuki Hayabusa Gen III and a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Gen 1.

LS2 - FF805 Thunder Carbon - A beautiful, extremely light weight helmet. Picked this one up in Hyderabad. This is my primary/daily helmet. It has adequate amount of air vents and channels. Communication device speaker slots built in.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4b3c7535e1344b6ba50442f8e8f606ea.jpeg

Arai Profile V - Mick Doohan Isle of Man TT Mountain Course Special Edition - Picked this one up in Australia. This one takes the cake for being the most comfortable helmet. The internal padding quality is just outstanding. If you open up all the air vents, this one is probably the most airy helmet. Even after riding in Hyderabad summer heat, you aren't sweating and that's saying something. Communication device speaker slots are inside the side cheek pads.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4397.jpeg

Shoei RF 1400 - Prologue - Picked this one from USA. Once you wear this helmet, most of the road and wind noises are cut. The construction of this Helmet is top class. Sufficient air vents are built in. Communication device speaker slots built in.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_3137.jpeg
akunchala is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 09:19   #3906
Distinguished - BHPian

Checking out track use helmets in Bangalore

I visited a few riding gear stores in Bangalore to check what race track helmets they had in stock.

1. LS2 FF 805 Thunder Carbon Racing FIM
The helmet only comes in a carbon fiber finish. It seems to have a large field of vision, which is a massive benefit both on the track and the road. The large size helmet fits me well. The helmet comes with a premium looking carry bag, an additional dark visor, tear off's (10 IIRC) etc. It weighs in at a light 1350 +/- 50 grams and is FIM certified (which is a massive selling point). The only real negative I could think of were those corny alloy wheel look alike design elements at the ends of the visor. It makes a Rs 45K helmet look like a Rs 1.5K helmet from a company that is making helmets for the 1st time.

While I liked the helmet, I couldnt find enough feedback online from happy users to make me pull the trigger.

Price : Rs 44,000

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

2. LS2 Thunder C series
This is the younger brother of the Thunder Carbon Racing helmet. It doesnt get the FIM certification of the above helmet but it makes up for it with a lower price and an ECE 22.06 certification. It also comes in several attractive colour schemes, unlike the more expensive FIM helmet. I found that the Large was too tight and there werent any XL sized helmets for me to try on.

Price : Rs 34,000

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

3. MT KRE+ Projectile
This helmet was launched with the dubious claim that it was India's first FIM homologated helmet when the Airoh GP 550 and LS2 FIM certified helmets were available for sale in the past. What you will notice even before picking it up is the absolutely awful paint scheme. Ive seen some palatable paint schemes for this helmet on international websites. Perhaps the Powersports International team should consider bringing in some different graphics for this halo product. Also, the helmet is HEAVY! You will immediately feel it when you pick it. While wearing it also, you will notice the weight.

The helmet sticker shows that it weighs 1700+/- 50 grams. It certainly feels it!

Price : Rs 40,000

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 18:29   #3907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannvvs View Post
I'm looking for a beginner helmet. I have shortlisted a few like Axxis Segment, Axxis Draken, MT Hummer, Axor/RE Brute/Drifter.

I tried MT Hummer size M but the buckle was hitting my throat & size L as per the salesperson was not my size.

If anybody could tell me the difference between Axxis Segment & Draken & do axxis helmets run a size smaller or bigger or are true to size, no one in my city keeps Axxis helmets, so only option is online purchase. I really liked Draken in gloss white.
Generally size M fits me well(RE, Axor & SMK but only in MT size M seemed tight).
I have used Axxis, SMK and Axor. Out of these Axor felt the best to wear and quality of parts seemed a little better than the others. Also, parts for Axor and SMK are cheaper and easily available because they are distributed by Vega and Steelbird last I checked.
Do check which brand suits your head shape and definitely avoid buying helmet online. You need to try it in the store and spend some time there, pain points will show up in 10-20 minutes and you can make a better choice.
irajput is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 22:40   #3908
Distinguished - BHPian

A little birdie tells me that Airoh will soon be making a return to the market with its full range of helmets.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 12:26   #3909
BHPian

I was looking to buy a helmet under 10k for daily usage and weekend rides. At the entry level 5-6k, I found the axor apex and mt hummer as good alternatives, though the mt works out costlier if a pinlock is added.

Had the following queries:
1. With similar safety certifications, does it matter if the helmet has double d or ratchet strap?
2. With similar ece 22.05 ratings, does additional sharp ratings for the mt targo, thunder3, blade 2sv matter over the hummer?
3. If I were to stretch my budget to around 10k, which would be the best alternative? Looking at ls2 ff800 and mt revenge 2. Do these provide any additional safety or usability value over the lesser mt/ls2 helmets?
4. What is the cheapest or rather most value ece22.06 helmet that is recommended? Could only find thunder4 close to my budget.
4. How's the spare availability for mt and ls2?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 18:06   #3910

I recently completed a 6000 kms solo bike ride from Pune to Ladakh. My helmet of choice was the humble Vega Bolt which is a light-weight (1350 gms) ISI and DOT certified helmet. It fits sungly and really well and is comfortable which was my first priority considering I wear glasses. I can comfortably attach a GoPro using the BlueArmour chin mount and it doesn't make the helmet too heavy.
I use 2 visors (clear and mercury) and changing them is tool-less and easy to do.
Washing the inner liners of the helmet is real easy as they're easy to uninstall and reinstall.

Here's a link to a short video I created with the helmet and some of my other riding gears:

dwanderlustdrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 14:10   #3911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I was looking to buy a helmet under 10k for daily usage and weekend rides. At the entry level 5-6k, I found the axor apex and mt hummer as good alternatives, though the mt works out costlier if a pinlock is added.

Had the following queries:
1. With similar safety certifications, does it matter if the helmet has double d or ratchet strap?
2. With similar ece 22.05 ratings, does additional sharp ratings for the mt targo, thunder3, blade 2sv matter over the hummer?
3. If I were to stretch my budget to around 10k, which would be the best alternative? Looking at ls2 ff800 and mt revenge 2. Do these provide any additional safety or usability value over the lesser mt/ls2 helmets?
4. What is the cheapest or rather most value ece22.06 helmet that is recommended? Could only find thunder4 close to my budget.
4. How's the spare availability for mt and ls2?

Thanks
kedar3223, all these questions have been asked and answered several times over in this thread. If you go through the last few months of posts, you will get all the details that you are looking for.

On spares, you will get them easily for MT helmets. For LS2 helmets, visors are easily available in Bangalore. It should be the same in other large cities as well.
Old 19th November 2023, 22:24   #3912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Bought an LS2 Storm helmet for my wife. The primary reason was the lightweight. We were looking for a helmet below 5k as she was not keen on spending above 5k for her helmet. But considering the options in that price range, i didn't want her to purchase just any model and later complaint about neck pain and the helmet ending up laying unused. So on my insistence we finalized this model.
As stated by Neil Jericho in his review of the Storm helmet, the paint finish is top notch. Both the paint and liner quality is comparable to the likes of Scorpion EXO R1 which costs more than 3 times as much. I also think this is one of the lightest helmet in this price range as we compared this model with the SMKs, Axors, NHKs, and Zeus and whatever full face models were available at the shop. The Helmet weighs 1536 gm for size L. I also just learned online that the same model sells as LS2 Assault in USA
Man I was really fixated on this one for me and my wife. It's got 2206 ECE certification. Everything that I want. We even picked out our colours.

But HOM Autoshop the importer of LS2 India don't ship them in size XS and S. As per their claim, those sizes are very slow moving
Old 20th November 2023, 07:39   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red4099 View Post
Man I was really fixated on this one for me and my wife. It's got 2206 ECE certification. Everything that I want. We even picked out our colours.

But HOM Autoshop the importer of LS2 India don't ship them in size XS and S. As per their claim, those sizes are very slow moving
Did you try other retailers? Bikester Global seems to have size S in stock.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 02:04   #3914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Did you try other retailers? Bikester Global seems to have size S in stock.
Their filter search is shite!
Still couldn't find.

Can you please share the link and also recommend me something in XS for the wife.

Thanks for taking your valuable time to reply.
Old 21st November 2023, 06:03   #3915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red4099 View Post
Their filter search is shite! Still couldn't find.

Can you please share the link and also recommend me something in XS for the wife.
I just checked after seeing these posts and though I hadn’t heard of them before, the Bikester Global site seems to be fine.

You can select brand and size and it shows all the options available. If you still can’t find it, they have Whatsapp chat support and an email support line on their website where you could inquire with them directly.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks