Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 01:45   #3766
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hello. I picked up a Shoei Glamster recently in basalt grey with a dark smoke visor. A friend hand carried it with no issues at customs. It’s a pretty comfortable helmet for everyday use. Been alternating between a Nolan X-Lite X803 ultra carbon and an LS2 Ff800 till now. X803 for long rides and ls2 for in city short rides.
The glamster now seems to fill both roles very well.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive open face helmet with a drop down visor I can primarily use for wearing to the gym. Retractable visor preferred. Something that I won’t worry about leaving lying around.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0600.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0476.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0481.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0398.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0399.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0397.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0395.jpeg  

civ4647 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 08:06   #3767
BHPian

Both studds and steelbird have half-face models with drop down visors. But if adamant to not get a full face helmet(post-gym sweating issue maybe), I suggest get one of their flip up models with dual visor instead.

Last edited by Senotrius : 21st June 2023 at 08:08.
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:25   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ4647 View Post
Any suggestions on an inexpensive open face helmet with a drop down visor I can primarily use for wearing to the gym. Retractable visor preferred. Something that I won’t worry about leaving lying around.
Although it is much better to wear a full faced helmet at all times, there are a few open-faced options that should be okay for short stints, like to and fro from your gym. I've listed them below:

1. Axor Retro Jet (2600Rs): https://axorhelmets.com/helmets/pc?product_id=508

Notable Positives: Good Construction, Fibreglass Shell
Notable Negatives: No ECE Certification, Leather Interiors (Sweat absorption after the gym, a balaclava could solve this)

2. SMK Retro Jet (3990 Rs): https://motocentral.in/products/smk-...aHeleLJVk2hSoI

Notable Positives: ECE Certified, D Ring Straps
Notable Negatives: A little expensive for an open face helmet, Part Hypoallergenic Padding and Part Leather Padding

3. MT Of-Viale (4250 Rs): https://orionmotorsindia.com/product...helmets-black/

Notable Positives: HIRP Shell, ECE Certified, Dual Visor, Hypoallergenic Padding
Notable Negatives: A little expensive for an open face helmet

4.LS2 OF600 Copter (7250 Rs): https://motocentral.in/collections/h...t-black-helmet

Notable Positives: World Renowned Manufacturer, KPA Shell, ECE Certified, Lightweight at 1250gms, Dual Visor
Notable Negatives: Unnecessarily Expensive for an open-face helmet, Possible Old Stock

5. Steelbird Bauer Pilot (9000 Rs): https://www.steelbirdhelmet.com/prod...ca-g-mat-green
Notable Positives: ECE Certified, Fibreglass shell, Dual Visor
Notable Negatives: Ridiculously Expensive for an open-face helmet

If I had to choose one of these, the MT seems like the best bang for the buck. But then again, Full Face is still the way to go IMO. Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:27   #3769
BHPian

Although not directly related to this thread, I thought it made the most sense to add this here. Picked up this super cool Helmet Stand from Amazon, and thought I'd share the same with y'all.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-lisitng.jpeg

At just 370Rs, it is extremely VFM. The stand itself is made from a solid chunk of Metal. It can accommodate one Full sized Helmet, A Riding Jacket and a set of Keys (Two Hooks).

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-front-view.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-side-view.jpeg

Although I probably won't use it for the jacket, cause I think that would be too heavy, it can take the Helmet and keys with ease. Compared to the options from Trip Machine and the like, I don't personally see the value in spending 4k on a helmet holder, and this IMO looks better too. But to each his own XD Cheers!

Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFox : 26th June 2023 at 10:29.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:59   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Few posts back I had mentioned that I was looking for safe helmets for both me and wife to use during our rides. Last Saturday, had to drop Vespa for service and post that off we went for helmet shopping. Dropped in to ADESHWARS RYDERS ARENA and explained the requirement (DOT, ECE and ISI certified full face helmet). We were shown options from SMK. Wife liked one in Matt blue color but it had a sticker for DOT and no ECE print. We were then informed its old stock so will get a new one from their warehouse. When waiting for that, I started looking out for me and found one from Axor which I liked (Subtle color, pinlock visor with dual visor). Both the helmets weigh in at around 1600gms but is manageable. We wore it for around 10-15 mins in the showroom and was comfortable. Bought a balaclava and riding gloves along with visor change for my current helmet. Total damage to wallet was around 10k.

Few pics of the helmet:

SMK Typhoon (Anti fog, Pinlock visor) :
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6477.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6478.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6479.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6480.jpg

Axor Apex (dual visor with pinlock & double d ring) :

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6473.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6474.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6475.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6476.jpg

Riding gloves :

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6481.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img6482.jpg

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 26th June 2023 at 13:03.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 16:23   #3771
BHPian

Full leather gloves by rynox or viaterra anyday over these mesh ones by axor preferred for safety and durability.
Old 26th June 2023, 18:15   #3772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Full leather gloves by rynox or viaterra anyday over these mesh ones by axor preferred for safety and durability.
Oh yes I prefer the leather one too but I couldn't get one for my size and hence had to make do with this. I will have to visit Orion or Powersports in HSR this week and get one.
Old 1st July 2023, 22:35   #3773
BHPian

Hi all. Have been in the "which helmet" dilemma for quite some time now and have been procrastinating the decision for a few months already. Decided to visit the market and try a few lids for myself today. I happened to try on the LS2 FF320, SMK Titan, SMK Typhoon, Axor Apex, MT Thunder 3 and MT Blade 2. My primary requirement is for touring where an I require a better, safer helmet. Long story short, I really liked the fit of the Titan, FF320 and the Thunder 3. Of these two I have decided to narrow down on either the Thunder 3 or the Titan since the LS2 had a very limited field of view which felt uncomfortable. Weight aside, I can't figure if the MT or the SMK would isolate more wind noise. Has anyone had any substantial experience with the Titan?
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 23:24   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
Weight aside, I can't figure if the MT or the SMK would isolate more wind noise. Has anyone had any substantial experience with the Titan?
The only solution to wind noise is using ear plugs. Concentrate on the fit and comfort of the helmet, and decide accordingly. Wind noise is only an issue of you are going 80+ and that too for a long stretch. For that there is no better solution than ear plugs, as most of the seasoned riders will suggest. You can also use cotton balls.
NTab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 13:42   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
Concentrate on the fit and comfort of the helmet, and decide accordingly.
I hear you, I've been putting comfort first yet I am also looking for inputs for the specific helmets that I've mentioned just because I feel I lack specific knowledge to tell different shells, materials and their ratings apart. Structurally speaking, are the LS2 & MT better than the SMK Typhoon or Titan? Shops here don't keep all the brands under one roof and it's a hassle actually comparing helmets side by side. Planning to complete the purchase ASAP!
Old 2nd July 2023, 16:08   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
I hear you, I've been putting comfort first yet I am also looking for inputs for the specific helmets that I've mentioned just because I feel I lack specific knowledge to tell different shells, materials and their ratings apart. Structurally speaking, are the LS2 & MT better than the SMK Typhoon or Titan? Shops here don't keep all the brands under one roof and it's a hassle actually comparing helmets side by side. Planning to complete the purchase ASAP!
I have used SMK Typhoon, and currently I am using MT Hummer. From my experience MT is definitely one step above SMK. The fit is snug, and comfortable(did multiple full day riding). MT has better ventilation. Also, MT is lighter(1450), and after a long day of riding it feels like boon.
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:59   #3777
BHPian

Bit the metaphoric bullet yesterday and got myself a shiny new helmet from Riderz Planet in Karol Bagh, Delhi. Comes after much deliberation and consultation. Had earlier set my eyes upon the Typhoon & Titan from SMK but decided to pay heed to fellow riders who insisted going for an even safer lid since there wasn't any budget constraints as such. Went on to recheck the LS2 FF320, all of the MTs, dual sports like the LS2 MX436 & even the Axxis Wolf but decided to drop the dual sports for the sake of better aerodynamics on the highway.

The one I really liked but didn't get:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-6d27d9bd371c4161b76c375068679eb8.jpeg

Finally wrapped my head around (and with) the MT Thunder 3 Pro that fitted me the best and stayed comfortable even after 20 mins of wearing it in the showroom. This is my first ECE & Sharp rated helmet after a couple of Vega & Royal Enfield helmets and will exclusively be used for long distance highway touring purposes. Even though the SMKs did feel more snug, the MT came with the Sharp 4 rating which I gave more preference to over the extra pinlock. I'm yet to ride with it, hope it stays as comfortable as it has been off the saddle.

About the buying experience, the chap at Riderz Planet, Mr Shivam is a gem of a sales person as he had the patience to entertain me unflinchingly for probably the 5th visit in 6 months despite me having wasted his time with my indecision in the past visits. He had the appropriate knowledge about certifications, shell types and variants. He was courteous enough to offer me a "free look" period of 3 days in which I can get the helmet replaced for size or colour. Needless to say, I was so happy with his services, I was ready to pay full price on it but he did cut me a deal on it as well without even asking for it.

Attaching a few pictures of the radical, funkiest colourway I could buy!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-f6b1b6df806c415bb1d30bf6143fb894.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_3342.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_3341.jpeg
sunejarahul is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:06   #3778
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I've just bought my first bike. Since she is at home, I am thinking about gathering the riding gear till I get opportunity to go home.

While choosing the riding gear. there is a lot of confusion about which brand to choose, what is actually needed and what is just a gimmick, safety standards etc.

So here is my version of the confusion:

Having spent all money on the buying the bike, I have limited budget to start with. Plan is to buy a good helmet under 5k and gloves under 2k.

Coming to the helmets, here are my other requirements:
  1. ISI+ECE certification is a must. ECE 22.05 have been around for 20yrs and new ECE 22.06 is much advanced and safest among the others. ( I only have knowledge from RyanF9's video and what google has to offer).
  2. Not sure why but I don't feel secure about the Quick release retention mechanisms. I'll prefer Double-D ring even if it is less convenient.
  3. Pinlock visor is a good to have.
  4. Not sure about weight as I had not done 300kms+ rides in single day.

Shortlisted Candidates-
1. Axor Apex- No Brainer. Currently king of the hill. Comes with pinlock fitted and double D ring. Spares are everywhere.
Only downside is it don't have the latest ECE22.06 certification.

2. Ignyte IGN 7- Above the budget @6200rs (5600 on Flipkart/Amazon). But comes with Pinlock, dual visor and the double-D ring retention mechanism. Polycarbonate shell. Also first one in India to have ECE 22.06 rating.
It is the complete package on paper.
Cons are- At around 1800g, it is the most heavy one. Doubtful about availability of spares and aftersell support. There is also lack of Graphics. I have to be a guinea pig to try this one.

3. SMK Stellar- Slightly cheaper than the Axor Apex around 4300rs also comes with Pinlock 30 and has same weight.
It has quick release retention mechanism.
There is confusion about certification of this one. The official website says it is ECE 22.06 rated but most of the websites are selling with ECE 22.05 badge. (I think they are clearing stock of older ones, new stock will have ECE22.06)
I contacted one of the online seller (MotoCentral) to clear confusion, he said the new stock has ECE22.06 and told me to place order and I'll get newer one with 22.06 badge. Also send me picture of the lid with ECE 22.06.

4. Korda Tourance- It is the latest introduction in the market. Here also there is confusion about certification. Powersport websites states it has ECE 22.05 in description but the latest stock is 22.06 certified. Polycarbonate shell, dual visor @5250rs.
I checked this one at local Powersport international store. I was very impressed with quality, colors and light weight of the lid I tried.
Cons are- This one also has quick release mechanism. It is the only one in my list not coming with the pinlock. It has to be bought separately at 1450rs.
And they didn't had one with my size (57cm). It is not available on their website also. Being new brand, spares will be hard to find and are expensive.

When I searched, I found only Sarkkart.com is having them in stock with M size. They're providing pinlock for free but I've never heard about them before. I believe they are individual store from Karol bag Delhi.

For gloves, I have settled on Axor Spyder leather gloves. Only CE certified full leather gloves in my budget.
SaurAswale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 16:36   #3779
BHPian

Hello all,

Need advice on replacing my Vega helmet. The current helmet is old, the padding is all worn out and no longer offers good protection against wind. At higher speeds there is a lot of wind noise . Thanks to balaclava mask, it sort of reduces.

My budget is around 3-4K max. I will not consider anything other than a full face helmet (needless to say). I need a helmet that has a clear visor and an in built sun visor like the one I currently own.

My eyes are very sensitive to dust and hence need to ride with visor closed at all times . This impacts my visibility at night since the light from on coming vehicles are scattered . Are there any good helmets with good visors which give good visibility at night ?
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 17:17   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Hello all,

My budget is around 3-4K max. I will not consider anything other than a full face helmet (needless to say). I need a helmet that has a clear visor and an in built sun visor like the one I currently own.
Please refer to my post here (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet). Both of these helmets were around 4k and comes with pin-lock visor. Axor has an inbuilt sun visor as well. Wind noise is curtailed until 85-90kmph post which becomes a little high.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks