Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2023, 21:40   #3721
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Any issues with customs at Indian airport while bringing it back? How'd you pack it?
Like Athek said. I carried a Viaterra helmet bag and hand carried it back. Didn’t bring back the original box. No issues either time - have landed at Delhi airport once and Mumbai another time.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:51   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Any issues with customs at Indian airport while bringing it back? How'd you pack it?
I opened the box and packed the helmet in my check-in luggage.
In Bangalore Airport they had marked my bag with chalk and the custom officer scanned it. But when I mentioned I bought the helmet for my personal use they did not even ask anything else.

I spoke to one of the officers there and he mentioned that if they feel you are bringing riding gears which is only for your personal use, they generally let it go.
.sourov is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:15   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
I opened the box and packed the helmet in my check-in luggage.
In Bangalore Airport they had marked my bag with chalk and the custom officer scanned it. But when I mentioned I bought the helmet for my personal use they did not even ask anything else.

I spoke to one of the officers there and he mentioned that if they feel you are bringing riding gears which is only for your personal use, they generally let it go.
I was interested in this particular situation; how to tackle the officer. People with authority sometimes abuse it. Thanks for the reply. Have always wondered how to bring bulky goods (that WOULD catch the officers eye) for personal use into the country. We have a lack of good riding boots(CE LEVEL 2 or better) for example at affordable pricing.

Yes,i have read that some people wear their jackets and gloves/boots while travelling into the country as well.
Old 21st April 2023, 02:53   #3724
BHPian

Quote:

Two weeks back went to Thailand for vacation and got home a AGV K6 (it was very unplanned as the MT is still new) from the store 786 in Bangkok. The helmet is extremely light weight, and the inner padding is very comfortable when compared to the MT
Congratulations on this amazing lid buddy! Do share your riding experience with it so far. I got a K6 for myself recently from Switzerland too.

I got to try a couples of excellent helmets in one of the biggest motorcycle accessories store in Zurich. Based on my research I had zeroed in on HJC RPHA11 / RPHA 70, AGV K6 and Shoei RF1400. I did check out couple of mid range Arai and Bell helmets too but overall found the fit and comfort on AGV K6 slightly better for my head size. The lightweight character of this helmet was also pretty noticeable, although it’s not as light as advertised especially for the bigger shell sizes such as mine. My primary purpose is cross country touring and K6 has great reviews as a touring helmet which helped me seal the decision. Top of the line Pinlock 120 came in free as a part of the bundle to make it more touring ready from the get go. An internal sun-visor is a sore miss though.

After I got the K6, the salesman brought out the big guns in form AGV Pista GP which were not on display but stowed away. What a lovely lid that was, simply splendid! At €999 it was almost double my budget so let it go back to where it came from.

I liked the RPHA11 too and was tempted to pickup it up as well considering the price point but didn’t want to take much chances with Indian customs.

Sadly I won’t be able to try out the new helmet properly for a few months as I just recovered from a health condition and taking it easy on any long rides. But hope to get some miles on this helmet by year end and post a further review.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5254.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5258.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5263.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5256.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5257.jpeg  

camitesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 12:29   #3725
BHPian

Hey guys,
So I bought the caberg drift evo in Singapore and the delivery got delayed and my friend who had to carry it back had to leave it with her family. Now there is no one I know who will be travelling to Singapore and back until November this year.

Please let me know if you guys have any leads on someone who could hand carry it
Ofcourse I'm willing to pay any extra luggage charges incurred....
Attaching photo of the same (had ordered other things too but I can do without them).
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20230423wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by rituj : 25th April 2023 at 12:30.
Old 29th April 2023, 12:24   #3726

Hey, what does this thread think about the Racer dune d3O gloves? I couldn't find much information on it either in this thread, or on the internet. It has D3O protection for the palms, and CE level 2 armour for the knuckles. It's a semi gauntlet, and it felt quite comfy and airy, perfect for city use. But the lack of information or reviews on it is quite worrying, although Racer seems to have a good reputation. A shop here told me they'd give it to me for 3.5k, down from the usual price of 4k. So, yay or nay?
Old 30th April 2023, 12:59   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Actually, Arai gives the best fit since you can peel off the inside layers one by one, like an onion. You can't judge it by showroom fit, has to be customized. I'm enjoying the best fit ever (Coming from Shoei and AGV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
I did check out couple of mid range Arai and Bell helmets too but overall found the fit and comfort on AGV K6 slightly better for my head size
Old 30th April 2023, 22:37   #3728

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Axor Apex : 1600 +/- 50
SMK Titan : 1500 (Source)
SMK Titan Carbon Fiber : 1650 (Source)
LS2 Storm : 1400 +/-50
MT Blade 2 SV : 1650 +/- 50
KYT NFR : 1500 +/- 50
Suomy Stellar : 1500 +/- 50
I have been reading this thread for quite a while now. I was planning to get a new helmet, and neil basically convinced me to get an LS2 Storm. Went and checked it out in the store, and it fit me like it was made for me. I wanted to try on the SMK Titan as well, but the shopkeeper did not even let me try it. He said LS2 is way better, so don't even bother. And since I went there with the intention of buying the Titan, I didn't bother questioning him. This should've been a small red flag. But well he gave us free water, and was somewhat nice, in a somewhat scammy way, but nice nonetheless.

I expected some pain during the initial run, but it's very comfortable and snug. The cheek pads are too tight for me to even smile, but if I'm riding down like batman, nothing a poker face can't solve. For now. I wanna be able to smile when I'm riding my ride soon.

Anyways, I came home and noticed 2 slightly alarming things:
1. The weight of the LS2 is now 1530 +/- 50. I bought it because I thought it was a light helmet, and it still doesn't feel heavy. But does this mean there's a difference between what was being sold and what I got? Does anybody have any sort of contact who you can ask about this? The weight difference is not insignificant, so what could they have changed? Well there is an ECE certification, rest assured.
2. The date of manufacture is July 2022. It's almost a year old. Is this anything to be concerned about?
ShattereDarknes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 12:05   #3729
BHPian

MT has launched KRE+ helmet in India. I think this is the first one which comes with FIM and ISI together.
Anyone tried this one?

https://theprint.in/ani-press-releas...india/1557273/

Last edited by .sourov : 8th May 2023 at 12:06. Reason: spell check
.sourov is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 13:19   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
MT has launched KRE+ helmet in India. I think this is the first one which comes with FIM and ISI together.
Nope. KYT has already launched their NZ race models a while back. Also Ls2 have Thunder and Arrow models both of which are FIM and ISI Certified.
I think MT KRE+ is overpriced at 40k when all these retail under 36 k without discounts.
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:59   #3731
BHPian

Was in market to replace my age old LS2 TRON model FF352. I am aware that the helmet needs to be replaced every 5 years irrespective of condition.

Since the use was way less and i was driving more often and also the condition of the helmet was still good and no structural damage whatsoever.

My requirements were quite simple.

1. Should come with pinlock
2. D ring is a must
3. Less windnoise at 70 kmph. I do use ear plugs when on a highway rides but never used any sort of earphones or Bluetooth device to listen to music.

Checked out SMK series starting from Typhoon, Twister and Stellar and though the spares availability was quite easy i quite did not like the fit. The shop where i visited pushed me so hard to go with Titan series and was saying that D ring was only necessary if you are hitting tracks and not needed if you are a regular tourer and trail rides.

I did visit a store and checked LS2 Storm model after reading @neil's reviews here. No complaints on the quality of the helmet. Fitted quite well but did not like the colors available at the store. Hence ruled out.

Visited another store near by and checked Axor series. Was meeting all the above 3 points. The Axor Apex Turbine model caught my attention, I quite liked the matt finish and especially NEON colour which is quite eye catchy on the day and
night too.Tested the helmet fit and it was just right fit for me. Picked up L size and have done 2 rides so far and i am quite comfortable when i use the ear plugs but it is noisy at 70 kmph and above if you do not use the ear plugs!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ramprashanth.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-unnamed-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-unnamed.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-unnamed-2.jpg

Have couple of rides planned over next two months and will share more detailed review.

Thanks

Last edited by Oppanna : 22nd May 2023 at 13:03.
Oppanna is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 22:53   #3732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
NTab, I was very interested to read your thought process on the use case for a sun visor in a helmet. My thinking is just the opposite. If Im in the city, a helmet without a sun visor is not a bother. At the most, I will be riding for an hour, in these conditions. So its not too much of a strain on my eyes. However, while touring, Im probably spending 8 to 9 hours on a motorcycle. On such days, a drop down sun visor is a God send for me.

A good pair of sunglasses is an alternative solution. As is having 2 helmets - one with a sun visor and one without (I have been following this for the last 4 years). However, considering that most motorcyclists reading this will have just one helmet, considering all round usage, I feel a helmet with a drop down sun visor, is a lot more practical to own, in the long run.
Hey Neil, my apologies for not responding. I was preoccupied a little. Now coming to your question, I did some tours during past few months, and I still feel that sunglasses are more comfortable, at least for me. It may be because I use prescriptive glasses, and I cannot avoid one anyway, so better wear a sunglasses than specs with sun-visor on. I prefer this arrangement for touring because it’s handy to keep sunglasses in the tank bag, and you don’t generally have to stop frequently and change glasses. In city though, a sun visor saves you from the hassle of changing glasses every time you stop for some work. This may not be applicable to someone who has 20/20 vision.

Although it seems though I will end up with a dual visor helmet as every(budget friendly) dual-sport helmet come with one.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 00:19   #3733
BHPian

Saw this helmet by Royal Enfield called Drifter V2. ISI/DOT only, which sucks, but looks very close to the Bell Bullitt which I don't mind at all. Priced at Rs 2800, which isn't too bad. I am leaning towards picking it up for my everyday city rides where the LS2 Storm might be overkill (and hot!). Will post a review if it's in stock at my nearby RE showroom.
thebengalee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:58   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
Saw this helmet by Royal Enfield called Drifter V2. ISI/DOT only, which sucks, but looks very close to the Bell Bullitt which I don't mind at all. Priced at Rs 2800, which isn't too bad. I am leaning towards picking it up for my everyday city rides where the LS2 Storm might be overkill (and hot!). Will post a review if it's in stock at my nearby RE showroom.
This is essentially the Axor Brute but non-ECE Certified. I'd suggest you pick up the brute from Axor's website, which comes with ECE Certification. Link below:

https://axorhelmets.com/helmets/Brute_Black_Helmet
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:21   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
This is essentially the Axor Brute but non-ECE Certified. I'd suggest you pick up the brute from Axor's website, which comes with ECE Certification. Link below:

https://axorhelmets.com/helmets/Brute_Black_Helmet
Wow, I thought most RE helmets were made by Studds, so I only looked at their website. Thank you for the link, much appreciated!

On another note, is there any other retro-ish looking helmet on the market you'd recommend for everyday city rides?
thebengalee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks