Old 2nd February 2023, 06:56   #3661
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post

* Fit and finish
* Amazing vision coverage
* Lightweight
* Very less wind noise at higher speeds.
* Colour (The camera doesn’t pick up it’s actual colour)
Congratulations at getting yourself a really high quality lid. I absolutely adore these metallic grey solid color helmets. I saw one of these on a track day and amongst the sea of lovely graphic laden helmets, this grey lid stood out and held its own. It looks absolutely stunning!! This color was actually on my shortlist but the closest when I was briefly considering a Shoei NXR2 but never got to see what it looks like in the flesh. (I opted for an adventure touring helmet at the time so this became moot.

Aspects like weight, wind noise and field of vision are really important and I’m glad the AGV delivers to your satisfaction on these.

I’m glad AGV will officially be available in India very soon to a much wider audience.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:18   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congratulations at getting yourself a really high quality lid. I absolutely adore these metallic grey solid color helmets. I saw one of these on a track day and amongst the sea of lovely graphic laden helmets, this grey lid stood out and held its own. It looks absolutely stunning!! This color was actually on my shortlist but the closest when I was briefly considering a Shoei NXR2 but never got to see what it looks like in the flesh. (I opted for an adventure touring helmet at the time so this became moot.

Aspects like weight, wind noise and field of vision are really important and I’m glad the AGV delivers to your satisfaction on these.

I’m glad AGV will officially be available in India very soon to a much wider audience.
Thank you,
As you rightly said it does stand out in a sea of graphic laden helmets. Few young boys asked me if i had stuck an AGV sticker on a normal helmet😂 as it is uncommon to see an solid colour helmet from top brands (atleast from what I’ve seen).
And yes, hope AGV gets pricing right and offer accessories as well, it’s a pain to procure these things.
RahulRV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:09   #3663
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar Arai helmet, but thanks to its high quality bag I dont get micro scratches. My friends have got the 'helmet PPF' done in Bangalore. (If you really want it done). Costs about Rs 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
But then, every time I open the visor, the helmet is getting scuffs / scratches.
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:50   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a similar Arai helmet, but thanks to its high quality bag I dont get micro scratches. My friends have got the 'helmet PPF' done in Bangalore. (If you really want it done). Costs about Rs 2000
I carry my helmet in the helmet bag, and then in the Ogio helmet bag. Always.
These scratches are because the visor, when you open it, it touches the helmet.

So was seeking some advise on how to fix that.
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:08   #3665
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I got that part. As a barrier PPF does the trick. Cheers
Quote:
These scratches are because the visor, when you open it, it touches the helmet. So was seeking some advise on how to fix that.
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:09   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will not the additional layer of PPF change how the Arai is supposed to behave in an unfortunate event. Wont it defeat the purpose of getting an ARAI helmet?

And has the manual/ manufacturer cleared this 'PPF'?

As far as I have seen, all manufacturers do not recommended repainting or stickering on helmets. Sad to see a lot of ppl getting their helmets repainted or stickered up.

Quote:
I carry my helmet in the helmet bag, and then in the Ogio helmet bag. Always.
These scratches are because the visor, when you open it, it touches the helmet.

So was seeking some advise on how to fix that.
Dear Parry's, please get in touch with ARAI authorised personnel "The Performance Racing Store" for this issue. I am sure they can help you out. Else drop a mail to ARAI Company itself.

If these scratches do not compromise the structural integrity, use the helmet as you are using it now. No point in keeping this helmet as a show piece either as the manufacturer asks one to change the helmet after the 5th year.

Last edited by skviknaraj : 2nd February 2023 at 12:12. Reason: Clarity
skviknaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:48   #3667
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Picked up a new lid to go with my new bike!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-35bbc7c409c04aae89c519654390d875.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-eb7e2f5e66d44555a7695a48c2d2328e.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ff8dcdf2c8ff4104ab15d36ceafa79a3.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5f9c5eab9fcb42cfb510ce5e05ac9657.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-c1b1ad4075e049dcaf7475af776e6d6a.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ded24792fb954f52840d25affdf8cc00.jpeg
boniver is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 21:20   #3668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So,

I picked up an ARAI a few months back, it gets the limited edition IOMTT 2022 livery.
Was very happy when I got it.

But then, every time I open the visor, the helmet is getting scuffs / scratches.
I got paint correction done once, to get rid of these marks.
But it is reoccurring.
parrys, I think there are 4 - 5 happy owners of the RX7V on this forum. All of them have only given glowing reviews of the helmet. Hence, it is a real surprise to see these scratches appear on your helmet. That certainly isnt what we expect to get with an Arai helmet, much less their flagship product.

Im guessing that you probably picked up this helmet from abroad. In that case, an email to Arai's customer care should help sort things out. Do let us know how this plays out.
Old 3rd February 2023, 21:24   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
parrys, I think there are 4 - 5 happy owners of the RX7V on this forum. All of them have only given glowing reviews of the helmet. Hence, it is a real surprise to see these scratches appear on your helmet. That certainly isnt what we expect to get with an Arai helmet, much less their flagship product.

Im guessing that you probably picked up this helmet from abroad. In that case, an email to Arai's customer care should help sort things out. Do let us know how this plays out.
I checked with 2 other journalist friends who are using these (this series) helmets from a few years back, and their lids also have the same scratches / usage marks.

The only solution I found, was that use the silicon lubricant on the visor movement mechanism, to make it smooth. Otherwise, you tend to apply extra force while lifting the visor and that is when these scratches are occurring. Because the visor lifts up at an angle, scratching the painted surface.

But this, makes no sense. It has to be a poorly executed visor mechanism.
If anyone now asks me is ARAI any good, I would say NO without any second thought.

I've used 2 Bell, 1 Scorpion, 2 HJC, multiple LS2 & a few other local brands in the past. None of them had such an issue.

Japanese craftsmanship

If other ARAI users are reading this, could you please share pictures of your helmet?
And if you know any solution to this, please advise...

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd February 2023 at 21:57. Reason: Merged posts and removed self-quote.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 12:26   #3670
BHPian

Has anyone checked out Ignyte helmets? They’re a sub-brand of Steelbird. Their new IGN-7 is said to be having the new ece22.06 certification. It’s priced at around 6.1-6.5k.

Is there any way to check the validity of their claim that it is 22.06 certified?

I am looking at picking up a helmet below 8k for city commuting and occasional breakfast rides.
Old 25th February 2023, 12:57   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
Has anyone checked out Ignyte helmets? They’re a sub-brand of Steelbird. Their new IGN-7 is said to be having the new ece22.06 certification. It’s priced at around 6.1-6.5k.

Is there any way to check the validity of their claim that it is 22.06 certified?

I am looking at picking up a helmet below 8k for city commuting and occasional breakfast rides.
I went to the Bangalore distributor and checked the validity. The helmet is pretty decent and it has all the certifications. I infact got the ignyte-4 as he did not have the stocks yet and the 4 is lighter than 7. The fit is also good.
Old 25th February 2023, 13:17   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

If you arent sure about how much money you need to keep aside for a helmet, simply head out to a few nearby helmet stores and try out what is available. See what you like. Remember to look for helmets that fits you well. If you have any doubts after trying out the available options, the TBHP community is here to help.
Hi Neil, I too have a 10 year old Activa and not used it much since the lockdown started. I’m not comfortable to take it for longer rides and within city too especially with the notorious private buses plying on our roads. But due to some parking constraints with the car, planning to take scooter only to do errands. I also need to drop my 8 year old daughter to her dance school some 3 KM from home.

I’m looking to buy new helmets for us(me, daughter and wife) within a reasonable budget. Can you recommend some good shops around Kkd/Edply area.
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 19:33   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Yikes, this is very weird. I use a RX7V as well and have been very regular with it over the last year. Never faced this issue. May try reinstalling the visor once. Or check if the pinlock is set properly for you.

Do not have a close up shot, but you can zoom and see no marks on my lid.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-arai.jpg
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:10   #3674
BHPian

Quote:
But this, makes no sense. It has to be a poorly executed visor mechanism.
If anyone now asks me is ARAI any good, I would say NO without any second thought..
Strongly disagree with you - Arai is one helmet company that does not mess around with quality.

Are you lifting the visor correctly - second, is the correct visor fitted on the helmet?

The visor never touches the helmet profiles. Check if the visor is properly attached and sitting flush on both sides of the helmet.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2023 at 16:19. Reason: Restoring
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:30   #3675
Senior - BHPian

What are the opinions here about replacing helmets after a fall/mishap, if it takes a hit? If there are scratches/abrasions on the helmet but otherwise it is usable, or even nothing at all is visible?

My philosophy is to replace the helmet if I know there was an impact to it even if there is no visual damage. Either from a rider's fall from the bike, or even if it falls down from a bit of a height, such as from the top of a cupboard. The structural integrity may be compromised, so why take a risk. But a friend disagrees.

I never go beyond Studds/Steel Bird/Vega, but this chap buys more expensive ones, hence this disagreement from him.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th February 2023 at 21:38. Reason: Add content.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks