Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2022, 22:26   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I'd gone to get some Level 2 protectors when this caught my eye. I found the LS2 STORM incredible value for money and picked one up for my city rides. I baby the ARAi, but this could be my carefree companion - dont have to worry about scratches. Just look at all the cuts and creases, wow. The padding is firm enough and both M and L sizes are really close in fit. Finally L size won as I could wear my glasses comfortably. The colour schemes are to die for. The air vents could be better though, in letting more air in. But no complaints This brand is flying off the shelves, I believe - and was the last piece
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4089.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 16th June 2022 at 22:35.
Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:54   #3527
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Can anyone recommend a good helmet for me? I only ride a Honda Dio in and around the city of Pune. Highest speeds I ride at are 60kmph and not more. Conservative riding style. Maximum of 80-100 km a week within city limits.

Have used a Vega helmet whose face could be opened up for 6 years. It's locking mechanism finally broke so looking for a new one.

Not looking for anything too fancy or high performance since my requirements do not dictate that. Will a simple Vega or Studds helmet suffice?
sauravpat, for better or for worse, we cannot tell you how important your head is. There are TBHPians here who will use an Arai helmet (Rs 70k) for riding a scooter around town. There are others that will use an ISI + ECE certified Axor Apex (Rs 5K) for the very same commuting. Others will be happy with an ISI certified Studds or Vega helmet. There is no right or wrong answer here. All that we can suggest is set a budget that you are comfortable with, and buy the best helmet that you can afford with that money. Almost every helmet being sold in India has been discussed on this thread, so all the information you need is here.

If you arent sure about how much money you need to keep aside for a helmet, simply head out to a few nearby helmet stores and try out what is available. See what you like. Remember to look for helmets that fits you well. If you have any doubts after trying out the available options, the TBHP community is here to help.
neil.jericho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:01   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
sauravpat, for better or for worse, we cannot tell you how important your head is. There are TBHPians here who will use an Arai helmet (Rs 70k) for riding a scooter around town. There are others that will use an ISI + ECE certified Axor Apex (Rs 5K) for the very same commuting. Others will be happy with an ISI certified Studds or Vega helmet. There is no right or wrong answer here. All that we can suggest is set a budget that you are comfortable with, and buy the best helmet that you can afford with that money. Almost every helmet being sold in India has been discussed on this thread, so all the information you need is here.

If you arent sure about how much money you need to keep aside for a helmet, simply head out to a few nearby helmet stores and try out what is available. See what you like. Remember to look for helmets that fits you well. If you have any doubts after trying out the available options, the TBHP community is here to help.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will head out today itself to check options and decide
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 10:27   #3529
BHPian

I got the Suomy Stellar Fast Stars.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot_20220618081123.png

Link for reference - https://lrlmotors.com/products/suomy-stellar-fast-stars

Kinda looks like it was made for Cap'n America but not too many other options that I could find.
Ideally wanted an AGV K5SV. I was unable to find it anywhere and was unwilling to plonk 20-30k without testing fit.
RaceNation in Jayanagar, Bengaluru has KYT & Suomy helmets available.
Anyway, so far the fit on this has been great. It's extremely comfortable. I like the sun visor too. Will try & provide a better review once I've put some miles with it.
shyamg28 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:10   #3530
BHPian

Dear Riders,

I think India's first ECE 22.06 + ISI Helmet is here from MT, Thunder 4 SV

My only concern is the weight,
Quote:
Coming in at just 1650 (+/-50) grams, its weight is well distributed for the tourer.
It has a 'Micrometric Double Toothed Closure'

Will check it out at a store near me and share my thoughts but at Rs. 12,950/- it packs a punch!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 06:41   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I quite like this design, but yeah the weight is on the higher side
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot-20220702-6.38.03-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:36   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Riders,

My only concern is the weight,

It has a 'Micrometric Double Toothed Closure'
Thanks for posting this, while the weight is 250 grams more than the LS2 FF800 Storm I was going to buy. I'll try it out in a shop and if it fits and I feel comfortable with the additional weight then the Thunder 4 SV is a no brainer as I believe the major change coming with ECE 22.06 is the addition of BRIC (Brain Injury Criterion) in helmet testing which measures the probability of suffering a concussion during a crash.

ECE 22.06 also brings in other things such as:

1. Tests conducted for both high and low speed impacts.

2. Rotational impact testing (aka the aforementioned BRIC).

3. Testing individual shell sizes, which means if a manufacturer has 3 shell sizes between XS and XXL for a particular model of helmet then every single shell size is tested.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:34   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Riders,

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
The pictures on the website does not have any ISI certification. The current MT helmets ( Blade 2, Revenge 2 etc.) has ISI stickers and not a printed ISI badging. Based on the images, I assume the new one will also follow same.

I am not sure how much valid are these stickers.
Doo_Dev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 23:02   #3534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
The pictures on the website does not have any ISI certification. The current MT helmets ( Blade 2, Revenge 2 etc.) has ISI stickers and not a printed ISI badging. Based on the images, I assume the new one will also follow same.

I am not sure how much valid are these stickers.
I just noticed this on my Blade 2 SV compared to my partner's Axor Hunter which has the ISI certification printed. Are you aware of any implication of these? Believe it is just an operational choice of the manufacturer.
Malliketh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:40   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
The current MT helmets ( Blade 2, Revenge 2 etc.) has ISI stickers and not a printed ISI badging. Based on the images, I assume the new one will also follow same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
I just noticed this on my Blade 2 SV compared to my partner's Axor Hunter which has the ISI certification printed.
Yes, the ISI sticker is applied on this one too! The shape with the spoiler looks very aerodynamic. I had a quick visit to compare the Revenge 2 vs Thunder 4 SV. However both were not available in M size, tried the L which was bigger for me.

Personally I prefer the Revenge 2 for no internal SV and D rings (only MT helmet with D rings). The Thunder 4 felt balanced and the weight was not felt. The spoiler and a plastic collar at the back of the neck will break/fall off at the slightest of the falls (as it's supposed to) but we might never get them as spare parts from MT.

Seeing the 'storm' LS2 has kicked up, I'll check it out too!

PS. Sorry didn't click any pictures this time.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:02   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
I just noticed this on my Blade 2 SV compared to my partner's Axor Hunter which has the ISI certification printed. Are you aware of any implication of these? Believe it is just an operational choice of the manufacturer.
Funny story about the ISI sticker: There was this one time when i was out helmet hunting sometime last year when ISI had been mandated and I came across this one chill sales guy who basically had said "ISI sticker can be pasted on any model you want sir". This was right during those days where the news said they could face heavy fines and bans for doing such a thing.

Who knows how many old helmets they might have sold off to people doing this.

Ideally, the manufacturer should update certification updates on their websites. It would be reassuring to have some official communication rather than depending on these dealers about this.

I did notice that Axor had started putting in a disclaimer about this on each model on their website.
Old 2nd August 2022, 00:03   #3537

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The Bell Qualifier 2 I have been using for the past 3 years is on the better helmets I have used in the years of my riding. Now that it has been almost 3 years and some 20k kms on the helmet the anti rain and the anti fog coating is totally gone from the visor which makes riding very difficult in the Bangalore rains. I was looking at some aftermarket solutions and have come across waxpol’s anti rain shield for the car windshields which can be also used on helmet visors, will be ordering it and testing it out. In the meanwhile for the anti fog the best option I see is the pinlock 70 which is compatible with the bell click-release visor on the bell qualifier, sadly I am not able to find a reseller who sells pinlock 70 for the bell in India. If any one is using that and knows where to get it, please help in getting it as it would be very helpful for my daily commute as well as the long trip. I am not going the new visor route since the new one is costing between 4.4k-5k in our country which is a lot for a visor.
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:57   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyppher View Post
The Bell Qualifier 2 I have been using for the past 3 years is on the better helmets I have used in the years of my riding. Now that it has been almost 3 years and some 20k kms on the helmet the anti rain and the anti fog coating is totally gone from the visor which makes riding very difficult in the Bangalore rains. I was looking at some aftermarket solutions and have come across waxpol’s anti rain shield for the car windshields which can be also used on helmet visors, will be ordering it and testing it out.
I am using Safe & Sound anti-fog spray on my helmet, for close to a year, and it works as advertised.
https://www.amazon.in/SAFE-Spectacle...e%2C182&sr=1-1
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 23:41   #3539
BHPian

I love how far we've come when it comes to the domestic helmet market. Axor and SMK, two home grown brands, offer a D ring, pinlock 30 ant fog panel and a retractable double visor for as low as INR 4800. I remember the days of procuring expensive THH/LS2/Airoh helmets which provided half the bang for buck and were barebones ECE/DOT certified helmets.
ubermensch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 16:47   #3540
BANNED

My wife is looking for a full-face helmet under 3K. Using a Studds Shifter as of now.

She wants a compact helmet which is less showy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks