Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 23:36   #3031
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Bought a MT Thunder3 helmet from probiker shop in Pune. It’s ECE 22 05 certified and weighs around 1600 gms. We can wear spectacles/ goggles with it. Price - INR 6600.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-055d0989411d44ee8097c9ec3c839233.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ca905bc8b17f4d5ebba82bbb4359f9f7.jpeg
abhi_tjet is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 01:04   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So I spoke to the person at motocentral who was extremely knowledgeable and he said to measure my head with a measuring tape at 2 exact points and he came out with the Conclusion that I need a L and not an XL which I thought would be apt.

I did some good speed and the helmet proved to be exactly what the reviews on the internet said. Fantastic Value !

Attachment 2020944

Attachment 2020945

Attachment 2020946
I have been looking at this helmet for quite a while. How is the wind noise at speeds over 100? My MT stinger starts howling at highway speeds.

Also I prefer wind not hitting and drying up my eyes on highways. Is there a provision to let only minimal or no air inside the helmet towards the face area?
Old 20th December 2020, 08:52   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Any specific reason for Snell certification? As far as I know, that's only required for racing in the US. ECE certification would be the one to get in my opinion, and you can also look at the SHARP rating if you like.

If I was in Delhi, I would've checked the available models online, and then gone to the shop after shortlisting, to try. Bell would be my choice: https://www.highnoteperformance.com/...s/bell-helmets
Hi Riderzone , Yes snell is actually for race track or very fast riders but then I thought that that would be the safest product to buy ( but not DOT ... it’s like ISI).

Thanks .. looks like high note performance have some good collection .. I will visit them today or next Sunday and share my opinion on collection.

Post more reading on this subject my conclusion is ECE + Sharp (>3) + composite fibre + multi EPS density is perfect combination.

Getting only ECE+Sharp helmet is easy due to many brand and models are available in market ( still limited options in india ) however shell construction in most such helmets are made of plastic ( whatever fancy or chemical name you want give like ABS , polycarbonate , thermoplastic .. etc )

Since My personal preference is modular helmet hence what I observed that it become more rare to find . Some handful of such helmets are available like shoei neotec 2 , schuberth c3 / c4 , bell SRT ( srt is not sharp tested ).

Getting hands on to test fiting before buying is a limitation hence I am afraid to buy online since right fiting is a must after all . Also , Getting these helmets from a reliable source is major concern I have in mind. After all no one wants to land up in counterfeit product after spending good amount of money .

Last edited by thunder : 20th December 2020 at 09:01. Reason: Spell error
thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:21   #3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Bought a MT Thunder3 helmet from probiker shop in Pune. It’s ECE 22 05 certified and weighs around 1600 gms.
What is your review regarding comfort, noise levels, and overall experience?

Are you happy with the purchase?
Old 21st December 2020, 18:11   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit_a View Post
What is your review regarding comfort, noise levels, and overall experience?
I have now used it for around 1000 Kms and I am quite happy with the purchase. Its comfortable, noise levels are acceptable and looks nice. My earlier one was a basic Studds so no bar as such to compare.

My bike being a naked sportster, wind drag is imminent. For whatever safe speeds we can do as per our surroundings, it's definitely a thumbs up.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:26   #3036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
After a lot of research into available options at a decent price point, ended up picking the Caberg Tourmax to complement my noisy Bell and ageing LS2. Hope it turns out to be a good one. Fingers crossed.
Howz the Caberg on comfort and noise? I have been looking at one of the modular models - it has a Sharp 5 rating.
Old 21st December 2020, 21:20   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Howz the Caberg on comfort and noise? I have been looking at one of the modular models - it has a Sharp 5 rating.
Completely contrary to my expectations it is actually orders of magnitude quieter on my versys 650, than my Bell qualifier which is noisy as hell. I have yet to ride without the sun peak and I guess that should make it even better. Wind noise and Buffeting starts getting moderately high after 130 kmph with the windshield set to highest position.
For now, I'm happy as punch with this purchase. But be advised of one minor irritant that the space in front of your chin is less so if you use a Bluetooth comms system then the mic might be touching your chin.
That said Sharp 5, modular, sun peak, super quiet, excellent optical quality visors and comfortable.. All at 22k is super value for money.

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st December 2020 at 21:22.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:12   #3038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
My previous helmet was an LS2 which was scarily quiet!

A personal recommendation at this stage would be to do your research on wind noise levels before purchasing any helmet and more specifically avoid MT Stinger from spartan pro gear.
Which LS2 model did you have? Is it still available from a trustable source?

Also, were you able to fix your noise levels on the stinger?

I'm considering to choose among the two — LS2 and MT.

Last edited by mohit_a : 22nd December 2020 at 10:38.
mohit_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:59   #3039

Hi Everyone,

I am new to riding, and am planning to buy my first bike. I am looking for a helmet in the 2.5-4k range. It should be full-face and I would very much prefer an internal sun visor. I need suggestions about good helmets and good shops in Kolkata.

Also, as I wear spectacles, should I go for a flip-up type helmet(safety has the most priority)? If yes, please suggest those too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th December 2020, 19:06   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayan59dutta View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to riding, and am planning to buy my first bike. I am looking for a helmet in the 2.5-4k range. It should be full-face and I would very much prefer an internal sun visor. I need suggestions about good helmets and good shops in Kolkata.

Also, as I wear spectacles, should I go for a flip-up type helmet(safety has the most priority)? If yes, please suggest those too.

Thanks in advance!
Internal sun visor would be difficult at that price point, I do not know of any options. In fact the cheapest MT helmets start at 5200 bucks, and it's difficult to recommend anything below that.

At this price point, your best hope would be buy a straightforward full face helmet, flip up and internal sunvisor will add to the cost. If you do find anything that's 4k with those features, it'll most likely be useless for safety.

Cheap internal sunvisors are not optically correct, very difficult to ride with them. Cheap flip up mechanisms can fail easily.

I can see quite a few stores in Kolkata for MT helmets here: https://www.spartanprogear.com/pages/mt-helmet-dealers

Helmet options: https://www.spartanprogear.com/collections/mt-helmets

Choose the options online, try in store, and then get it.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 00:53   #3041

Quote:
In fact the cheapest MT helmets start at 5200 bucks, and it's difficult to recommend anything below that.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, MT is going way beyond my budget.
I was looking at some options from SMK, Steelbird Air and Vega. What are your opinions on those?

Quote:
Choose the options online, try in store, and then get it.
Yes, I'll always try the helmet before buying.
Old 31st December 2020, 03:45   #3042
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, MT is going way beyond my budget.
I was looking at some options from SMK, Steelbird Air and Vega. What are your opinions on those?
I guess we all start with Vegas and Steelbirds, but I wish I hadn't In my experience they are absolutely terrible in all departments, comfort/fit/safety.

These AXXIS ones look alright: https://www.spartanprogear.com/colle...-dekers-helmet

Shiro ones seem to be in budget as well: https://letsgearup.in/collections/he...s-fluro-yellow

SMK looks similar to the options above.

I have no personal experience with any of these brands though, unlike MT. May be best to go to some reliable shop around you directly and ask them for opinion, because no point looking up stuff online if you can't try it.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 09:42   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a helmet in the 2.5-4k range. It should be full-face and I would very much prefer an internal sun visor.

In the 4k range you should get a decent full face helmet from Axxis or Aspida. Though I have no personal experience with them, their helmets appear to be ECE R-22.05 certified and should offer decent protection.

I wear prescription glasses as well and while a flip up helmet is super convenient, within 4k I doubt you'll get anything that I would consider safe. Till recently, I used an MT revenge full face helmet - had no issues with my glasses.

Please get the best possible helmet even if you have to go over your budget by 1k or 2k. A good helmet can make a lot of difference in the event of an unfortunate incident.

In his 20s, my father met with an accident while riding a scooter. He was wearing a helmet - but 40 years back I can only imagine the quality of helmets available. Anyway, long story short even though he was wearing a helmet, he was unconscious for 2 days in the MH. He had lost both short term and long-term memory when he woke up. Thankfully, after a couple of days he was better and the memory started coming back.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 09:58   #3044
Senior - BHPian

You're right. I wear prescription glasses too, and find my MT 'flip up' the best. Cost me Rs 9,500, but that's money well spent. The other helmet under consideration was the Caberg (Lightweight Fiber, Rs 18,500)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
I wear prescription glasses as well and while a flip up helmet is super convenient, within 4k I doubt you'll get anything that I would consider safe. Till recently, I used an MT revenge full face helmet - had no issues with my glasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8555.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 31st December 2020 at 10:12.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:07   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You're right. I wear prescription glasses too, and find my MT 'flip up' the best. Cost me Rs 9,500, but that's money well spent. The other helmet under consideration was the Caberg (Lightweight Fiber, Rs 18,500)
I upgraded to the Duke 2 last weekend.

I was considering the MT Atom as well - but Spartan didn't have the stock in their store.

The only other modular helmet in stock was from Aspida (around 6,000 INR I think). However, after wearing the Duke 2 for a few minutes, the Aspida just didn't feel right - felt a little, ummm, "claustrophobic".

Did a weekend ride on Sunday (~170 KMs) and the Duke 2 was super comfy throughout. It felt so good that I didn't have to take the helmet off while filling fuel or drinking water.

The only down side is that I can't use my ASG bluetooth device (the basic 1200 INR one) with it. It seems only those Bluetooth devices fit the Duke 2 where the mic isn't directly attached to the ear piece.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks