Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 12:17   #2716
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Any reviews on the Kre Snake Carbon 2.0 helmets from MT ?
As per the website its DOT, ECE & Snell certified. Any user reviews and insights will be helpful in making a purchase.
If in favor of the MT, why not the Rapide fiber glass lid.

In the Snake Carbon range, consider the AGV K1. It'll be an ideal case for,
Top end helmet of a mid-level manufacturer, MT Snake Carbon
Vs
Entry level offering from a high end manufacturer, AGV K1

Riders please share your opinion/experience on/with the above.

Enjoy your ride

surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 15:29   #2717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
If in favor of the MT, why not the Rapide fiber glass lid.

In the Snake Carbon range, consider the AGV K1. It'll be an ideal case for,
Top end helmet of a mid-level manufacturer, MT Snake Carbon
Vs
Entry level offering from a high end manufacturer, AGV K1

Riders please share your opinion/experience on/with the above.

Enjoy your ride

surjaonwheelz
I would actually suggest going up to the K3 instead of the K1 in this case since the K3 is priced closer to the Snake Carbon and is a better helmet than the K1 (not experienced personally but that's what I was told by a helmet dealer). But in that price range (+/- a few thousand INR), there are offerings from HJC, Airoh, Nolan etc which are very good as well and which all have good number of reviews globally. Im not saying the Snake Carbon is a bad helmet but I ask myself is it worth putting down that much money on a relatively unproven product?

The second point you raise is a very good one. When I bought my last helmet, I had the choice of top of the line helmet from a smaller manufacturer (Shark Race R Pro), a lower to mid range offering from a bigger manufacturer (AGV K5) or if I were to stretch my budget by quite a bit, an entry level helmet from a premium manufacturer (Arai). I went with the Shark Race R Pro and paid Rs 32,000 INR. The equivalent top of the line race helmets from AGV and Arai cost between Rs 70,000 to Rs 1,00,000. Thanks but no thanks says my bank balance and so Ill continue to stick to Shark going forward as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 01:08   #2718
BHPian

Gents , I am in a bit of a pickle. My head circumference is 53cm after holding the tape losely as it is . Based on that measurement , a SMALL or at best MEDIUM size is appropriate for me . Yet , the MT helmet I wear is of 58-59 cm measurement which is large or extra large depending upon what brand you are looking at. And yet , the MT fits me snugly ! If this what a 58-59 fits like after five years of use , a 53 or even 55 will be impossible to put on. Now I am confused whether the MT size is false or the size chart of the various brands (and they all use the same technique for measurement ) is ...

So before I plonk almost 10k on the Bell helmet , should I get the one that corresponds to 58cm in their size chart or one that is 55cm . As per their own guide which is no different from MT , my actual measurement is 52-53.

Last edited by basuroy : 13th January 2019 at 01:10.
Old 13th January 2019, 07:00   #2719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Gents , I am in a bit of a pickle. My head circumference is 53cm after holding the tape losely as it is .
I am sure you have measured correct. The only other possibility is your head shape. It is probably some kind of long oval or maybe even round oval which is probably the probably not an MT head shape. Most indian and asian heads are round.

All imported helmets from the west are long oval or intermediate oval. Check helmets by head shape on revzilla and read up.

Also have someone take a photo of your head from the top, and then observe your own head shape.

Yes, its as bad as women buying heels.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:02   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Gents , I am in a bit of a pickle. My head circumference is 53cm after holding the tape losely as it is . Based on that measurement , a SMALL or at best MEDIUM size is appropriate for me . Yet , the MT helmet I wear is of 58-59 cm measurement which is large or extra large depending upon what brand you are looking at. And yet , the MT fits me snugly ! If this what a 58-59 fits like after five years of use , a 53 or even 55 will be impossible to put on. Now I am confused whether the MT size is false or the size chart of the various brands (and they all use the same technique for measurement ) is ...

So before I plonk almost 10k on the Bell helmet , should I get the one that corresponds to 58cm in their size chart or one that is 55cm . As per their own guide which is no different from MT , my actual measurement is 52-53.
Something doesn't make sense for me. If the sizing chart says 53, 59 cannot fit snug.at least at the place where you measured as per the sizing chart.
Snug fit is a relative term about feel. When you turn your head from left extreme to right extreme as fast as you can, do you need to to touch the helmet to reposition it? If yes, the helmet is a loose fit in my opinion.
Old 13th January 2019, 22:06   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Something doesn't make sense for me. If the sizing chart says 53, 59 cannot fit snug.at least at the place where you measured as per the sizing chart.
Snug fit is a relative term about feel. When you turn your head from left extreme to right extreme as fast as you can, do you need to to touch the helmet to reposition it? If yes, the helmet is a loose fit in my opinion.
No no I really mean it fits snugly and after almost five years of use - in fact , its very difficult for me to even put on my specs with this helmet . It is rock solid on my head and doesn't moves even at very high speeds ( I did a 200 km ride today and paid special attention to this aspect ). The tag inside the helmet reads 59cm .

The tape measurement of my head reads 53cm if held loosely and 52 if held tightly .

I also have a fast track half face helmet - same size as the MT ( purchased in same period based on same measurement )and yet this one is completely loose - the padding inside is to blame mainly but I recall it being loose since day one . I suspect the MT is undersized but I have no way of proving that .

Last edited by basuroy : 13th January 2019 at 22:08.
Old 14th January 2019, 13:02   #2722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with GutsyGibbon, something doesn't seem right about this. 6 cms is a big difference. Red Liner is correct in that your head shape might not match that for which the helmet was designed but even then it shouldn't be this much. I cant figure out a logical reason for your findings.

As always, before buying a new helmet, try and then buy. Don't just go by head circumference.
Old 14th January 2019, 22:19   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my basic Steelbird helmet. Requirements:
- Reasonably well certified
- Pinlock ready
- Internal sun visor

My budget is 6-8k. Preferred city to buy from would be Chennai (I'm based in Vellore). I'd like advice regarding two aspects:

Pinlock - During as cold early morning rides, my breath fogs the visor up! Pinlock would help me get rid of that, right?

Internal Sun Visor vs Dark/Clear visors - Thinking it would be cumbersome to change the visor depending on time of day. Also, I'm concerned about carrying an extra visit during rides.

I was thinking something like this: https://www.spartanprogear.com/colle...18592124141657

Open to other brands and models as well.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 14th January 2019 at 22:21.
Old 14th January 2019, 22:30   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As always, before buying a new helmet, try and then buy. Don't just go by head circumference.
I agree that if one can try it on, there is nothing like it. If one is buying online that may not be possible. Same thing if you asking a friend to pick up something in a closeout sale that you see abroad. One will have to rely on the manufacturer specific sizing chart. The sizing chart also has a description of how to measure. When measured according to their specs, it has to fit snug. Most helmets ask you to measure at the forehead, right above the eyebrow. The helmet of that size has to match your head at that spot (forehead). If it fits snug when you buy a helmet (several sizes bigger) 7cm bigger than the measurement, what is the point of sizing. For my 58cm head, I buy exactly the helmet of 58cm size, and it fits perfect. I have had Bell, Shoei, and Schuberth, all bought online without trying it on. After 6 years it does get loose, and I replace them.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:18   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would actually suggest going up to the K3 instead of the K1 in this case since the K3 is priced closer to the Snake Carbon and is a better helmet than the K1 (not experienced personally but that's what I was told by a helmet dealer). But in that price range (+/- a few thousand INR), there are offerings from HJC, Airoh, Nolan etc which are very good as well and which all have good number of reviews globally. Im not saying the Snake Carbon is a bad helmet but I ask myself is it worth putting down that much money on a relatively unproven product?

The second point you raise is a very good one. When I bought my last helmet, I had the choice of top of the line helmet from a smaller manufacturer (Shark Race R Pro), a lower to mid range offering from a bigger manufacturer (AGV K5) or if I were to stretch my budget by quite a bit, an entry level helmet from a premium manufacturer (Arai). I went with the Shark Race R Pro and paid Rs 32,000 INR. The equivalent top of the line race helmets from AGV and Arai cost between Rs 70,000 to Rs 1,00,000. Thanks but no thanks says my bank balance and so Ill continue to stick to Shark going forward as well.
Would definitely look into AGV K3. Shortlisting the HJC IS 17, MT Snake Carbon and AGV K3 for now. Will try them on and make the decision.
There are a few helmets with good sharp ratings from MT and also noting the fact that Sharp does ratings independently as per their own timeline I am keeping MT on the list.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:36   #2726
BANNED

Quote:
Would definitely look into AGV K3. Shortlisting the HJC IS 17, MT Snake Carbon and AGV K3 for now. Will try them on and make the decision.
There are a few helmets with good sharp ratings from MT and also noting the fact that Sharp does ratings independently as per their own timeline I am keeping MT on the list.
Don't bother checking any of the other brands out if you can get your hands on a top end MT, check it to see the quality of interior padding and the visor and simply buy it if you find all those criteria to be good. A Snell rated helmet is a Snell rated helmet at the end of the day, and trust me a light weight helmet makes a huge difference in reducing fatigue over longer distances/durations of riding. Entry level AGVs are the biggest scam IMO they are simply cashing in on their brand recognition, and Rossi graphics selling heavy unremarkable lids and charging 3 times the price of what it ought to be just because of the slick colours. Unless you have the money for a top of the line or near top of the line lid from other manufacturers, don't bother checking them out unless the quality of inner lining in the MT is horrendous.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:05   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Between the HJC IS 17 and the AGV K3, my personal vote would swing towards the HJC for its 5* SHARP rating and drop down visor. That's a very useful feature especially when youre on long rides. The K3 is nice as well, no doubt about it. My wife uses one. But if you can find a AGV K3 SV (SV for sun visor) that would be a better option than the K3. Keep us posted with your purchase decision and feedback on your final choice.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:49   #2728
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
After a lot of pondering, bought this Arai XD4 yesterday from Revzilla.
Couple of pics of the Arai XD4 as it arrived few weeks back.

First impressions after couple of short rides around Gurgaon - the fit and finish is top notch, wind noise is minimal, the round shape is really accommodating and comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thumbnail_img_20190112_154110.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thumbnail_img_20190112_154124.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:23   #2729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Couple of pics of the Arai XD4 as it arrived few weeks back.
I know you have ADV and this helmet suits the characteristics of an ADV, but what advantage does it provide over and above a street helmet?
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:12   #2730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I know you have ADV and this helmet suits the characteristics of an ADV, but what advantage does it provide over and above a street helmet?
1. Goggles for offroad riding and warmer temps
2. Peak to protect from early morning or late evening riding into the sun.
3. Look at me, i am an adv rider

Lets face it, riding bikes makes you look cool, anything extra helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks