Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 14:07   #1
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Im asking on behalf of a friend of mine, he has a family car which was bought by his grandfather in 1941, its a Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 Door Sport Sedan, whihc needs to be restored. Would appreciate if you guys could put us onto some car restorers eitehr in Pune or Bombay.Currently the car is in Pune. Will upload pictures of the car later today.

Thanks

Pictures of the Car. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of 1936 Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 Door Sport Sedan-cevrolet-1936.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 13th March 2010 at 11:20. Reason: Merging to have pictures in the same post
ab500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2010, 16:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

A good guy who will do it right and with passion is Anoop Thakoor 9820187158 he just finished a ground up on a rare in india studibaker convertible.

She seems pretty intact and I am guessing engine is still there but she looks raised as she is on bricks. She may just need a paint job and some cleaning to get her started

Last edited by canonball : 12th March 2010 at 16:39.
Old 12th March 2010, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the vehicle in pictures, i would say that the tinwork and painting would cost you in the range of 2 -2.25 lakhs at the least. Add to that the engine, suspension cosmetics, parts, labour etc which is entirely dependent on the amount of work involved. Then the interiors, leather/rexine etc etc. I am talking about a top notch restoration job.

If you can arrange the parts, then it is labour you have to bear with which is, IMHO, the best way to get it restored if you have the resources to get the parts et all.

If the car is running it should not take you more than 8-12 months to resurrect her. If on the other hand she is a non runner, then it all depends on the availability of parts.

To make a proper estimate, the restorer would have to see her in person. You may PM me for if you would want to contact the persons who take care of my restorations but the cardinal rule here, is to involve oneself. No one will take interest for someone's else's car. You have to be involved in the process and many a times push the process ahead. Else the restoration can go on forever.

In the end, whatever the estimate, be ready for it to be a + or - 15-20% deviation from the estimate (almost always in the + side)

Hope this car sees the restoration it needs.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab500 View Post
Hey Guys!

Im asking on behalf of a friend of mine, he has a family car which was bought by his grandfather in 1941, its a Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 Door Sport Sedan, whihc needs to be restored. Would appreciate if you guys could put us onto some car restorers either in Pune or Bombay.Currently the car is in Pune.Thanks
Nice car your friend go there, and very useable when done. I wonder if this car was restored or atleast painted sometime in the 1990's? Because of that loud Duco type acrylic paint. But it appears that after siome time she was kept aside again. Surface rust is present on all the upper panels.
You have to decide what kind of restoration you want to do, back to original factory show condition or just to get her going.
If you are going to do a rebuild, you must get a full rubber set from Steele Rubber in USA. An put new tyres, whether plain or whitewall when you are about to complete the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
A good guy who will do it right and with passion is Anoop Thakoor 9820187158 he just finished a ground up on a rare in india studibaker convertible.
Was the Studebaker convertible really ready and running when sold on? And is Anoop not shifting?
He is one guy who really loves his work and is so dedicated, just needs to settle down. You must show him this post

Cheers harit
Old 13th March 2010, 23:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Was the Studebaker convertible really ready and running
Cheers harit
Is there any photograph of this Studebaker he restored that can be posted? We'll get an idea of how good a restoration job one can expect from him on this Cheverolet.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 13th March 2010 at 23:59.
Old 15th March 2010, 10:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

I am very much interested to know the registration number of this car. The plates aren't very clear.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am very much interested to know the registration number of this car. The plates aren't very clear.
Looks like somethingJT 127. Something = R or?
Old 15th March 2010, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

restoration

this was offered to me for work over a year ago and I thought that they did not get back so must have started already.

cheers kasli
Old 16th March 2010, 11:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Looks like somethingJT 127. Something = R or?
RJT 127 is what it looks like.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:11   #10
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the late reply, was not in BOmbay the past few days. Thanks for the info Canonball, will call him. Car was in Rajasthan, driven on a truck from there to Pune. Thanks for the comments V16, my friend was in 2 minds about the restoration, Ive sort of pushed him to work on it and get it done. Harit, we want to get it back to original condition, at least thats the thought for now, lets see how much the whole thing works out to be in terms of cost. 67 Bug, your right its the original registration of Raj, RJT 127. Hi Kasli, yes I was told by my friend that he got in touch with you, but he didnt hear from you. I guess miscommunication? Let me know if your still interested in taking up the job, Ill ask him to get in touch with you.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration of 1936 Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 Door Sport Sedan

Posting Karl's picture here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...16-chevy02.jpg

Restoration of 1936 Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 Door Sport Sedan-chevy02.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks