Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi KPS,
Well, as I have mentioned before, do not hurry!
Regarding the chrome, new equipment is not the criteria for good chrome, and I am not clear what you mean by 'power is good'. There are many factors, the cleaning process, the chemicals used, copper layer should be put. A proper chrome process is a bit expensive, but then it will last.
I suggest that you please get only 1 item chromed, check it and then do the rest. You know very well that every time you chrome, the metal gets eroded, becomes thiner till you find holes. I dare suggest that you find out about this chrome guy in Delhi, he is very good. I have seen his results.
What is this 'deep rust' you talk about? I feel that metal was not treated or worked on properly before painting, maybe because of the rush. If you like, post some pictures to give suggestions.
Are you sure the car had 'cruise control'?

Cheers harit
Harit Ji,

Whay you have explained is true. But if everything else is perfect a new equipment will most likely be good in performance. And for power he would have meant proper Current for good deposition.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:56   #47
BHPian

after all the shreepati bashing i guess the man delivered the product with amazing work three cheerrs to KPS and Shreepati
Old 24th December 2009, 17:15   #48
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Harit Sir,

The new crome person is good. For some parts we will give a copper coating before crome plating like the radiator cover, so the finish will be better. I will post some pictures of the deep rust as it appears as small bubbles on the paint job.

The "T" Throttle Switch on the Dash is similar to the one on jeeps. You pull the cable which operates the Throttle. It is a very crude form of cruise control! Guess I went over board on that (not my intention). Guess with experts reading this I need to be more specific.

Cheers
Old 24th December 2009, 21:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks Harit Sir,

The new crome person is good. For some parts we will give a copper coating before crome plating like the radiator cover, so the finish will be better. I will post some pictures of the deep rust as it appears as small bubbles on the paint job.

The "T" Throttle Switch on the Dash is similar to the one on jeeps. You pull the cable which operates the Throttle. It is a very crude form of cruise control! Guess I went over board on that (not my intention). Guess with experts reading this I need to be more specific.

Cheers
But then what that system should be called, we have same kinda system on 50's fiats too.
Old 25th December 2009, 07:30   #50
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an Article from 1945 which talks about a 1932 Plymouth taxi being hailed by GI's. Note the lantern for war time lights! Interesting isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00918.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00923.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00924.jpg  

KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2009, 12:45   #51
BHPian

Plymouth Automatic Clutch Control / Freewheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks Harit Sir,

The "T" Throttle Switch on the Dash is similar to the one on jeeps. You pull the cable which operates the Throttle. It is a very crude form of cruise control!

Cheers
Hello KPS ,

The automatic clutch control mechanism is mounted on the engine and connected to the clutch operating lever. It is operated by the vaccum in the intake manifold. The control plunger activated by the button on the dash activates / deactivates the system.

The unit permits the automatic disengagement of the clutch when the accelerator is completely released ; the clutch is again engaged when the accelerator is depressed. Thus permitting gear changes without using the clutch pedal.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-img_0943.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 07:09   #52
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Vintageman, you have explained the free wheeling system beautifully. This car was designed to run economically and hence the four cylinder engine and free wheeling. I will post the sales brochure which I bought through ebay.

Once again the three switches above the meters are 1) "C"-Choke, 2) Free Wheeling & 3) "T" Throttle.

Cheers

Please find attached a period Sales Brochure for Plymouths

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00919.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00920.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc00921.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 29th December 2009 at 10:00. Reason: See note in post.
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 11:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

A plymouth tourer

Taken some time back. Don't remember where or when and was a mess the car with all the non orignal stuff on it.
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc_0993.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc_0994.jpg  

kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 12:45   #54
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Kasli,

This car is should be a 1930-31 Model PA. Looks modified quite a bit as rightly pointed out by you.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Taken some time back. Don't remember where or when and was a mess the car with all the non orignal stuff on it.
What is that other car on the right ?
Old 4th January 2010, 22:33   #56
BHPian

Plymouth PA

Photographs taken 12 years ago of a Plymouth PA . Regret the size , I misplaced the actual photograph files , the car in the photograph posted by Kasli has been modified quite a bit .
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-pa1.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-pa2.jpg  

Last edited by vintageman : 4th January 2010 at 22:34.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:25   #57
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Trunk for the car

We have been able to procure a period trunk for the car. Looking at the condition we decided to do minor work like repair the side handles.
I would like to seek advice as how should we restore the inside? What should the lining be? Should we leave this too as it is?

Please find the photographs

The Trunk ( we have stuck the Plymouth Badge)

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01098.jpg

The sides

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01094.jpg
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01096.jpg

The inside of the trunk
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01099.jpg

Please advice what kind of lining should be used keeping in mind this is an American Trunk for an American car.

Thanks in advance

KPS
Old 24th January 2010, 20:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

It looks greast as is and I would suggest leaving it like this save for some hide food and polish.

The interior could be lined in an off white coloured smooth silkish material like you would find in really old suitcases and sea chests of that period.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Wow that trunks look quit neat I must say.I would say you could put some felt or vinyl.It wouldn't be quite period but would look good.
Old 30th January 2010, 16:53   #60
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

I think we will go with Mr. Wasif's suggestion of old suitcase material for the trunk. Thanks Mr. Wasif.

The chrome rework has come out very well. All the parts were coated with a copper layer and rechromed hence the finish is very even. We are having a problem with the front wind shield frame as it is in very poor condition. We have decided to rebuilt with a new frame as we need a long term solution.

I have attached some of the latest photos to give you a feel of the current state of the car. My Dad's 1946 Chrysler Windsor is peeping in the background!

Cheers

KPS
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01140.jpg  

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dsc01142.jpg  

Last edited by KPS : 30th January 2010 at 16:55.
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks