Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2009, 21:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

We could start with the cars which were brought in by the British East
India Company for the use of their military and their officials,followed by the cars which were being imported to be sold here to the higher class people excluding the roaylties i.e. the different kings and people of the different darbars.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:04   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
We could start with the cars which were brought in by the British East
India Company for the use of their military and their officials,followed by the cars which were being imported to be sold here to the higher class people excluding the roaylties i.e. the different kings and people of the different darbars.
British East Company was kicked out of India 1858, a year after the first war of Independence. The company was dissolved in 1874.
Old 14th September 2009, 17:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
British East Company was kicked out of India 1858, a year after the first war of Independence. The company was dissolved in 1874.
A little correction is required here. The British East India Company was never "kicked out of this country".

It so happened that after the 1857 issue the British Crown took over the operations of the East India Company under their direct control and the Company was disbanded.
Old 8th January 2010, 07:49   #64
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Veteran form Mangalore

Here are pictures of a Veteran form Mangalore a 1904 De Dion. This car is supposed to be first car to land on the shores of Mangalore and belonged to a rich family. The car is currently housed in the St. Aloysious Museum at Mangalore for public display. Sadly the engine is missing. The radiator can be seen in the front though.
Attached Thumbnails
Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd1.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd2.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd3.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd4.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd5.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dd6.jpg  

KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 11:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here are pictures of a Veteran form Mangalore a 1904 De Dion. This car is supposed to be first car to land on the shores of Mangalore and belonged to a rich family. The car is currently housed in the St. Aloysious Museum at Mangalore for public display. Sadly the engine is missing. The radiator can be seen in the front though.
Hi KPS,

If I rember correctly, there was an article somewhere about 15 years ago where it was mentioned that this car was in an institute. Was this later shifted to this Museum?
Engines are available in Europe, it is also missing tyres which are also available. It seems that now that she is lying in this Museum nothing will ever happen. Can you try to find out some history. who owned her, how did she land up in the institute and now Museum, any old pictures etc.
Vijay Mallya has a 1906 DeDion, that too came from south India and has engine issues.

Cheers harit
Old 8th January 2010, 12:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi KPS,

If I rember correctly, there was an article somewhere about 15 years ago where it was mentioned that this car was in an institute. Was this later shifted to this Museum?
Engines are available in Europe, it is also missing tyres which are also available. It seems that now that she is lying in this Museum nothing will ever happen. Can you try to find out some history. who owned her, how did she land up in the institute and now Museum, any old pictures etc.
Vijay Mallya has a 1906 DeDion, that too came from south India and has engine issues.

Cheers harit
Harit saab,

The car is still in St Alosius college museum. The museum within the college it self.

Said to be De Dion car was presented by P. F. X. Saldanha

I have sent mail to the college for more information

More info about the college museum is here
Aloysius Museum

cheers

Last edited by v12 : 12th January 2010 at 10:09.
girishpv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 12:38   #67
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts......

Just received mail from Fr.Denzil of St Aloysius College.

More information of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dedioninfo.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dedion2.jpg  

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-dedion3.jpg  

girishpv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 21:32   #68
BHPian

the mallayas de dion was in calicut in kerala state i saw this car with an old well to do family about 25 years back he wanted to sell it for ten lakhs i didnt find any thingspecial about this car then but later on my friend told the car was sold to mr mallaya
imperial.s.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 23:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
the mallayas de dion was in calicut in kerala state i saw this car with an old well to do family about 25 years back he wanted to sell it for ten lakhs i didnt find any thingspecial about this car then but later on my friend told the car was sold to mr mallaya
I am not sure about Mallya's car originating in Calicut. But from what I know, in around 1980 that car was with a used car dealer in Chennai who also had a very fine military Jeep and one or more cars I forget. I have to contact someone and see if he remembers. Shall revert sometime.
BTW, the Choudhurie 1904 Rover in Delhi came from Ooty.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 8th January 2010 at 23:15.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:10   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

An old photo (dated 1901?) of a veteran in Madras can be found here

Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-1901owneda-j-yorkedirector-parry-co.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1790511-post1117.html
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2010, 21:56   #71

@ The Mole, did you miss this one??? Sorry for being OT.
Attached Thumbnails
Earliest Cars seen in India - Veteran and Edwardian-5452_262529350092_635070092_8521141_4583738_n.jpg  

Old 19th March 2010, 22:51   #72

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum here but have been reading the threads on Team BHP for sometime now. I found a book on google books while doing some research on vintage and veteran motorcyles in India. I think the information might be of interest to members on the forum so I thought I'd post a link. It is a book by the American Consul in Bombay and was published in 1915 and has some data regarding the imports and dealers of cars in British India before 1915.
British India with notes on Ceylon ... - Google Books

Pages 191 to 204 will probably be of most interest. Hope you all enjoy it.

norton4ever
norton4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 10:47   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton4ever View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum here but have been reading the threads on Team BHP for sometime now. I found a book on google books while doing some research on vintage and veteran motorcyles in India. I think the information might be of interest to members on the forum so I thought I'd post a link. It is a book by the American Consul in Bombay and was published in 1915 and has some data regarding the imports and dealers of cars in British India before 1915.
British India with notes on Ceylon ... - Google Books

Pages 191 to 204 will probably be of most interest. Hope you all enjoy it.

norton4ever
Hi norton4ever

The link you mention sounds very interesting, but I don't seem to have access to the whole book. How does one download? Or do I have to pay for it?
Old 20th March 2010, 19:50   #74

Hi karlosdeville
The book is in the public domain here in the US, so I was able to download a pdf version of the book for free from the google books link that I had posted earlier. I guess Google might have restricted access for those from outside the US. I can't attach the pdf for the whole book as it is about 28 MB, but I was able to copy and paste a text version of the pages I had mentioned, and have attached that so that members may read it.

norton4ever
Attached Files
File Type: doc AUTOMOBILES IN.doc (87.5 KB, 1080 views)
norton4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2010, 14:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
An old photo (dated 1901?) of a veteran in Madras can be found here

Attachment 310970

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1790511-post1117.html
Something weird about this photograph, compare the size of the Bullock to the car or even the Native man standing next to the car, is that a goat drawing the cart? Even the man looks huge compared to the bullock/goat cart. Could this be a trick photo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks