Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 22:47   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some research off the net points to the Napiers being possibly 1907 models, 60 HP 7.7 litre sidevalve six cylinder engines. We still need to confirm the correct model year and type as per the chassis number

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
just a doubt, will these cars remain in this condition, or is there some chance of restoration

Restoration of these cars is a very very costly affair. As the family is spending a considerable amount of money restoring an entire palace and opening it as a museum it may not make sense to spend that kind of money right away. I have recommended they be displayed in a weathered condition rather than being totally ruined with a substandard patchwork cosmetic restoration. These cars are nearing a 100 years old, the fact they remain in a aged condition is in itself a remarkable display, in my opinion.

Perhaps someday it may make sense to restore them to their original pristine condition. Until then I feel they still make an awesome exhibit, instead of remaining locked away.

Last edited by DKG : 28th September 2008 at 22:51.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2008, 22:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is a superb thread, DKG. Your role in the creation of this museum makes me feel proud to be a TBHPian ! Do keep posting as the good work progresses. I'll look forward to visiting Hyderabad when the museum opens..
Old 28th September 2008, 23:10   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

An interesting piece of info from the napierheritage site

"Napier then moved forward with 6 cylinder production soon having a 30hp 40hp 60hp model then in due course even a 90hp 11 litre car. These cars were purchased by many of the new motorists as well as many functionaries as the Prime Minister. The Nizam of Hydrabad purchased 6 cars after a good lunch with Edge and built a “Palace on Wheels” on some of the chassis. Some of these cars are still in the Nizam’s family possession."
Old 28th September 2008, 23:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From what I gather APX referred to Hyderabad city and APY corresponded to suburbs or "Atraaf Baldiya" as was termed. Which means both APX and APY co existed. APX apparently was succeeded by ADX. Do please confirm this as this is what I was told by an oldtimer.
I'm somewhat skeptical about the co-existence of APX and APY. And it was also an ex-RTO officer who'd told me that APX was succeeded by APY, then APU, followed by ADX, ADY and so on.
Yet, even many of the oldtimers give varied answers about the chronology of the registrations, therefore Ive decided to refer to cars with original registrations as templates.

'might sound a bit for this section but APX 3333 for instance can safely be taken as a mid 50s standard 10:

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-ten.jpg.jpg

Whereas APY 216 is a 1961 Pennant and going by the 3 digits, this series couldnt have started the same time as APX. Nor is there any chance of the particular number preceeding the manufacture of the car.

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img00462.jpg

Having seen many 60s vehicles, APU was then succeeded by ADX and AAX seemed to have been introduced shortly later, eventually co-existing with ADX. ADY seemed to have co-existed with ADX though.

'sounds a bit mind-boggling for now I guess!

Quote:
Banjara Hills where Chiraan is located comes under Sheikhpet village
May I know what road in Banjara hills btw?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 03:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Amazing cars...Btw found this newspiece featuring a pic of 1st Napier
Quote:
Wow that's fantastic. As part of the display I am handing over some pictures to be blown up and displayed. This would make it too, thanks a ton.

Any articles or pictures such as these would be of great help.
The Left image is from Travencore post #14 in the Miscellaneous cars in India thread. It looks like they may be the same vehicle.
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-nizam-napier-elephants.jpg
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 09:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'might sound a bit for this section but APX 3333 for instance can safely be taken as a mid 50s standard 10:

Whereas APY 216 is a 1961 Pennant and going by the 3 digits, this series couldnt have started the same time as APX. Nor is there any chance of the particular number preceeding the manufacture of the car.
Im not qualified to comment on Andhra regns, but by and large you musn't compare special numbers when investigating a series - they were usually allotted out of turn. I've made similar comparisons in the past which didn't add up the way they should have. Even today in Pune special numbers are being allotted to new cars from a series 4 or 5 years old!
karlosdeville is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 09:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great review of the pride of Hyderabad.
As Stanher said, please let us know the date of the opening of this spectacular museum.As a Hyderabadi,I would like to visit it with my family.
DKG ji..thanks for all the tons of information.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:03   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
pride of Hyderabad.
Now if only our politicians can prevail on the centre to allow the jewels to remain in Hyderabad. As some of you may have seen that is an absolutely mind blowing collection
Old 29th September 2008, 10:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
May I know what road in Banjara hills btw?
It is inside the KBR park in banjara/jubilee hills oppossite the TDP party office.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

My two bits Swiss Watch makers are known to recondition antiques for free. I sent my grandads Omega Seamaster (common variety Omega back in the day and even now as an antique) to Omega (they asked me to just have sent to them). The watch was retruned to me in 3 months with a complete restoration - new original replacement dial/all mechanicals reconditioned and a new glass. they even sent me an spare glass!! So if you talk to Rolls and other manufacturers they may offer to do it for free, incase exporting it out for repair is complicated as I have heard they may even sponser a local groundup...try it you never know as I tried it expecting to be charged but Omega just said have the watch delivered to us and three months later I had it back with me with a letter now that is fantastic..Rolls and the brands are very keen on India as a market I am sure they will respond if Fiat gave a Ferrari to a cricketer I am sure they will restore their own car...if direct contact yeilds no response I can help you get the press get their attention about time these beauties and India start shining in grandaur...cheers
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 12:26   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
So if you talk to Rolls and other manufacturers they may offer to do it for free
Interesting thought, worth exploring.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

DKG sir here goes one more of same napier this near charminar
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-napier-hyderabad.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 13:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now if only our politicians can prevail on the centre to allow the jewels to remain in Hyderabad. As some of you may have seen that is an absolutely mind blowing collection
I remember the curator at the Salajung museum telling me that only about 5% of the jewelry and antiques were on display there - on three floors! Thousands of crores worth, and just 5%. It is beyond my comprehension.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:46   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I remember the curator at the Salajung museum telling me that only about 5% of the jewelry and antiques were on display there - on three floors! Thousands of crores worth, and just 5%. It is beyond my comprehension.
Karlos that would be Salar Jung's collection (he was a Prime Minister) housed in the museum. I was refering to the collection of jewels which the govt of India bought from the Nizam's trust sometime back for about 217 crores. It has some 176 pieces, one of which is the Jacob diamond the size of a gear knob!!

The Govt of India had displayed this jewelery both in Delhi and Hyderabad for a limited period a few years back. It remains locked in the Reserve Bank as far as I know.

Thanks agspins for the pictures

Last edited by DKG : 29th September 2008 at 13:48.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:30   #30
BHPian

What a marvellous collection. Guess I will have to make a trip to Hyd just to ogle. I believe they look great as they are. They have aged gracefully. The age will be lost with restoration and only true automobile wizards will know the real age. To the common man, it does not make any difference anyway.

Quote:
I think its safe to say this story pertains more likely to Bharatpur, definitely not to Hyderabad.
Absolutely correct.

Once what happened was that a maharaja of Bharatpur was snubbed by an insolent young Rolls Royce salesman. It hurt the Jat's pride immensely, and to counter that, he brought a whole fleet of Rolls Royces. and guess what he did with them? He made them Bharatpur's garbage collecting vehicles!

Read here for more:

History of Bharatpur,Origin of Bharatpur in India,History of Bharatpur Rajasthan

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks