Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 01:00   #1
BHPian

Miscellaneous cars in Delhi

The same 34 Packard

Horrid woody RR Silver Ghost

1934 Buick 90 Series. I did the whole engine in 86, white metalling, crank grind, rings, valves, guides etc. Relined a very unusual clutch design, made up a whole new exhaust system. The car is still in Delhi.

This is the only photo I can find of the Mercedes 540K that was restored in Indore and went to Bangalore. It was a real mess then, big rust holes in the chassis and all the fixtures and fittings had been lost. How it turned out I don’t know it was in need of an incredible amount of missing parts. They have a very complex fuel delivery system and most of it was missing. It was sitting in Delhi for quite some time outdoors deteriorating in front of my eyes and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I know much more but I would rather not go there. I did have lots of pictures but they were sad and I can’t find them.

Some awesome photos of another supercharged Mercedes this one a 1927? 100/140 in Delhi in better hands. I had to turn down the job due to other obligations but a lovely car, I first saw it in Calcutta. I believe there were some major crankcase crack issues, which have since been addressed satisfactorily. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the whole car left.
Another mother of an engine, magnificent beast.

Graham Paige

I think this is the engine bay of the Maharani Gayatri Devi’s beautiful Derby Bentley.

While we are in Jaipur, a couple more photos during the Queenie film

Another Lagonda M45 but with coachwork challenges. It came from Assam to Calcutta er Kolkata and I expedited its arrival in Delhi where its horrific posterior problems were rectified. No photo of the final car, but its safe in Delhi.

About 1986 A 1938? RR Phantom III V12 in the process of rings, big ends, major carburettor problems (I got it a brand new float chamber from UK, very rare) It was only a limo, nothing exciting. After all the work they stored it on the roadside to deteriorate again. Kya karoon? No other pictures.

More to come I need a rest.
Old 28th February 2008, 15:34   #2
BHPian

never knew delhi had such a collection of cars. though you are in UK dont know how you know so much about them.

IMO the title of the thread should have been 'vintage cars in delhi'.
Old 28th February 2008, 22:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Some awesome photos of another supercharged Mercedes this one a 1927? 100/140 in Delhi in better hands. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the whole car left.
Hi Julian, is this the Supercharged Mercedes in Delhi?

More pictures can be found here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ged-delhi.html
Old 28th February 2008, 23:19   #4
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Hi @-GS-:

What's that strange glass radiator ornament on the white Mercedes?

Looks like a Pontiac Indian Chief head. Those things used to be illuminated. And unless I'm mistaken about what it is, what's it doing on a Mercedes?

Ram
Old 28th February 2008, 23:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ram this is the so called 680K Mercedes in Delhi,which the owner claims only six were made. Well at least I have not heard of a 680K anywhere nor can I find any chronicled existence of such a car. This is infact a Mercedes 100/140 K which was different from the SS
That horrendous thing on the radiator is supposedly a crystal piece (Lalique or Daum if I remember right) and has been on the hood for a while now. The Star mascot on the 100/140 houses a temp gauge on stem that holds the star, a thermometer. On the Delhi car, this was broken. I think Speedy was talking about it on some thread a long while ago. What one cannot decipher from this Delhi car is what it actually is. From what we see we can safely deduce that it is a Type 24 100/140 and definitely not an unknown 680K. The parts put together may have been wrongly put as there was nothing to derive at a basis for restoration or simply the wrong tree was being barked upon.

Last edited by V-16 : 28th February 2008 at 23:53.
Old 29th February 2008, 00:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
What's that strange glass radiator ornament on the white Mercedes?
Looks like a Pontiac Indian Chief head. Those things used to be illuminated. And unless I'm mistaken about what it is, what's it doing on a Mercedes?
Hi Ram,
These pictures were taken by speedy, I have posted the link too. The original ornament was sent for repair and therefore this was put in its place. Here is the picture of the original Mercedes Mascot from the same thread -
Old 29th February 2008, 00:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Hi Ram,
These pictures were taken by speedy, I have posted the link too. The original ornament was sent for repair and therefore this was put in its place. Here is the picture of the original Mercedes Mascot from the same thread -
yes yes thats it. Forgot to see the link. And its a Lalique crystal head of something. According to Speedy there is one more car with such sort of a thingy as its hood ornament too. But where is Speedy nowdays? Missing?
Old 29th February 2008, 01:43   #8
BHPian

I'm getting lost here in between threads but the 680K had twin carbs, this one has a single carb and I'm pretty certain its a 100/140, lovely car.
Julian
Old 29th February 2008, 02:12   #9
BHPian

Some more miscellaneous cars in Delhi

Some more miscellaneous photos.
1920 RR Silver Ghost Hooper torpedo tourer

1930ish Lanchester Straight 8 on the right, Daimler Barker Special Sports on the left and a 1937ish Daimler DB 18 behind.

Rajinder the carpenter in the Lanchester

A Meadows 4 ½ litre 6 engine as used in Lagonda M45 and Invicta cars

Which is in this Simla Rail car in the National Railway museum, New Delhi.
I think this needs a couple of days work. Is it a Willys?

In Delhi Ford Model A, me looking younger. This must be 1983 or so.

Mercedes Limo can’t remember what or where.

Wolseley 16/20hp 1919 in Defence Colony in 1984.

I remember the owner’s father’s guru and entourage coming and staying in the empty house, the garage of which I was working in and they erected a huge shamiana around the whole area and they used to come and marvel at the car activities. I carried on with the work throughout the festivities. Before this car I was working on a Veteran Triumph model P in Karol Bagh and renting a room in a house of a Sikh family and having to stop due to Indira Gandhi’s assassination and during the riots driving a Fiat taking the Sikh family’s ladies to safety in a relative’s house in the military cantonment. I drove a Yazdi (Jawa 250cc) across Delhi dodging the fires and mobs to retrieve some cash stored in their Ball bearing shop in Guru Nanak Motor market in Kashmiri Gate and delivered milk and vegetables to their relatives who lived nearby. So many Sikh shops ablaze, getting frisked by the Police looking for a camera in case I was taking photos of the carnage. We took the name plate off the gatepost to avoid the mob’s attentions, they burnt several Sikh shops in our road. The father of this Sikh family used to supply most of the spare parts for the Harley Davidson 3 wheeler taxis running in Delhi. I have posted some photos of the last Harley taxi in the motorcycle section.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...torcycles.html
Any way I’ve been sidetracked, back to cars.
Same car with incorrect wheels, They are still incorrect now but slightly less incorrect.

from left to right Premi the denter,… Rajinder the helper… Rajinder the denter… Kala Singh the carpenter… and Trilok the electrician….in front of the Daimler 30hp after …the workshop fire another story I still have some photos of the carnage. Premi , Rajinder 2 and Kala Singh were quite talented and over 13 years of guiding them they were quite in demand. Wonderful people.
Out side my workshop window

Mohan centre, his father in front and his brother at the rear.

Mohan again and assistants. Mohan was a good carpenter.

[FONT=Arial]I miss India very much.[/FONT]
Old 29th February 2008, 02:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post

Mercedes Limo can’t remember what or where.
Thats quite a gallery of interesting and historic cars. The Mercedes Benz looks strikingly similar to the late twenties- early thirties Mercedes-Benz Nürburg 460, which was also presented to the Pope by the Mercedes Benz company. or then the 370 Pullman Limousine made in Manhiem. The fender mounted spares are missing in the picture though.

Last edited by V-16 : 29th February 2008 at 02:48.
Old 29th February 2008, 02:46   #11
BHPian

Sorry I mean the 680S had twin carburettors.
If I remember the "680" refers to 6.789 litres and "630" refers to 6.3 litres, S was the chassis type and 100/140 or 100/180 refered to bhp with and without supercharger engaged.
Old 29th February 2008, 02:52   #12
BHPian

I think the Mercedes looks like this one

Last edited by Julian UK : 29th February 2008 at 03:04.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:15   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Please see a a post on the Model K, the S/SS/SSK/SSKL series in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ged-delhi.html

The Delhi car is a 1926 or 27 Model K
Old 3rd March 2008, 02:56   #14
BHPian

I first saw this car in Calcutta in storage, was asked to get it running there but due to my other obligations at the time had to refuse. After it came to Delhi I did do some work on it, I had the sump off and the camshaft/rocker box cover off inspected the crankshaft bearings and can say that they were in excellent condition for their age, no scoring, no play, no cracks and no oxidation in the white metal. There was no corrosion on the crankshaft or camshaft. I restored the dual ignition magneto, the carburettor, autovac and water pump. It was all in relatively very good condition and I know the owner went to considerable lengths and expense to make as good a job of the rest of the car as possible, due to my back problems I had to turn down the remainder of the work.
From what I remember, when you floor the accelerator pedal the supercharger clutch engages, a butterfly valve diverts the air intake to come from the supercharger instead of through the normal carburettor air intake and if I remember correctly, pressurises the float chamber to deliver the maximum fuel simultaneously.

And what can anyone reveal about this car?

Long time no see - Mind blowing - Business Standard Motoring
Old 4th March 2008, 01:42   #15
BHPian

The Jaipur 1934 Rolls Royce PII engine and chassis. Its a limo, can't remember who built the body. Rescued from Rajasthan University in Jaipur. It is now safe in Delhi.
I did some work on it just before leaving India, It had rotten water manifolds on the cylinder block and the blanking plates on the sides of the block were rusted through. The block needed all its rust and sediment cleaning out.
More work was required, maybe its finished by now.

It ran well in the Queenie film in Jaipur in 1986.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks