Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 05:33   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi!
Have a look at this link. This RR PI with a body by Jonckheere is a monster car, pompous, huge, and in my opinion ugly. But it does have huge presence and makes a statement. I had seen pictures of this car in the past, about 20 odd? years ago when she was rescued from a scrapyard in golden colour. Just see those big round doors.
But what was never mentioned before, or atleast I do not remember is that there was a Nanpara connection. That would make it among the most pompous cars of Maharajas of India, among the other fancy cars. But was this ever in India?

Rolls-Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Coupe - Supercars.net

Cheers harit
Read the following blog - some interesting comments by the granddaughter of the Raja of Nanpara in "Reader Comments" towards middle of page

Most ominous Rolls ever created makes L.A. appearance — Autoblog
Old 11th April 2010, 15:41   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Read the following blog - some interesting comments by the granddaughter of the Raja of Nanpara in "Reader Comments" towards middle of page

Most ominous Rolls ever created makes L.A. appearance — Autoblog
That was interesting, never would have thought about an Indian connection for that car. Maybe the granddaughter has more stories to tell? Lucknow had a very rich car collection, meaning that lots and lots of highly collectable cars were picked up in Lucknow.

Cheers harit
Old 11th April 2010, 17:51   #528
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally this Rolls Royce makes a presence. Had read in some auto magazine that this is probably the only Rolls Royce with a round door and a slanting grille. After this Rolls Royce was designed, Rolls Royce introduced a clause for all the coach builders that they could re-body a Rolls Royce in any shape. But the grille was to always remain straight. Not sure how far this is true though.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:36   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Finally this Rolls Royce makes a presence. Had read in some auto magazine that this is probably the only Rolls Royce with a round door and a slanting grille. After this Rolls Royce was designed, Rolls Royce introduced a clause for all the coach builders that they could re-body a Rolls Royce in any shape. But the grille was to always remain straight. Not sure how far this is true though.
There was another fabulous Rolls creation which had a front rounded grill to go with the body line. This car was among the few selected for one of the first grand shows held in the world, I think that was around 30 to 35 years ago. She was golden as far as I remember, and maybe there was a sort of decoy cannopy over the unaltered Rolls grill. I do not remember that part clearly, but the final effect was a curved grill. That car looked a million dollars even at that time.
Does anyone know which car is referred to?

Cheers harit
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:49   #530
Senior - BHPian

Maharaja Gaekwar oF Baroda also had a specially built "Landyacht" (Motor-home/RV), which was bought from American couple Thaw's, i think after the completion of their overland trip to India, pics and description below
LIFE - Google Books

There is also a documentary shot by the couple, with BBC
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/375521?view=synopsis

Last edited by agspins : 23rd April 2010 at 13:50.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:01   #531
Senior - BHPian

Wasif
Just hearing the talkshow on FM 98.3 with Bindu and anmol. She narrated how Sheikh Mukhtar used to bring his vintage car to Sonavala building Tardeo where Bindu lived as a child and took them for drives to Chowpatty. Next day in school she would tell every one about this. However she mentioned she does not know the name of the car but it was a vintage car and had a dicky which would open up, there was a seat in there and they'd sit in it.
Nice article on this car in an old Moto Trend of mid eighties

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th May 2010 at 22:10.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:18   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Wasif
Just hearing the talkshow on FM 98.3 with Bindu and anmol. She narrated how Sheikh Mukhtar used to bring his vintage car to Sonavala building Tardeo where Bindu lived as a child and took them for drives to Chowpatty. Next day in school she would tell every one about this. However she mentioned she does not know the name of the car but it was a vintage car and had a dicky which would open up, there was a seat in there and they'd sit in it.
Nice article on this car in an old Moto Trend of mid eighties
Amazing.....for them it was just another car ! Look how much it is worth today !

The Rumble "dicky" seats always fasinated me too when I was a kid. We used to sit in my grand uncles Rumble seat Ford A and get the servants to push the car around the compound. My sister practically would take over the dicky seat with her fiends
Old 14th May 2010, 04:18   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Amazing.....for them it was just another car ! Look how much it is worth today !

The Rumble "dicky" seats always fasinated me too when I was a kid. We used to sit in my grand uncles Rumble seat Ford A and get the servants to push the car around the compound. My sister practically would take over the dicky seat with her fiends
Assuming this discussion on the Sheikh Mukthar car is the ex-Orccha Cadillac V-16
Old 15th May 2010, 13:10   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Assuming this discussion on the Sheikh Mukthar car is the ex-Orccha Cadillac V-16
Only the first part of that post !
Old 16th May 2010, 14:38   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Wasif
Indeed, you are referring to the Orchha Caddz V16. The Sheikh also had his office somewhere in Tardeo area. I know a person whose father worked on that Caddy.
I have a picture of that car on Marine Drive.
It became very much a Bombaz car. It was smuggled out of India because the Sheikh emigrated to Pakistan, the cars should have been seized by the Indian Government. At that time export was permitted. I believe that the cars went out on a boat to Dubai, seems these cars were spotted there.

Cheers harit
Old 16th May 2010, 14:56   #536
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, you are referring to the Orchha Caddz V16. The Sheikh also had his office somewhere in Tardeo area. I know a person whose father worked on that Caddy.
I have a picture of that car on Marine Drive.
It became very much a Bombaz car. It was smuggled out of India because the Sheikh emigrated to Pakistan, the cars should have been seized by the Indian Government. At that time export was permitted. I believe that the cars went out on a boat to Dubai, seems these cars were spotted there.

Cheers harit
Harit the story I heard is something different. Sheikh Mukhtar who had both the Caddy and the Duesy moved to Pakistan first with the cars and later both cars left from Pakistan to homes in the US
Old 6th June 2010, 11:57   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit the story I heard is something different. Sheikh Mukhtar who had both the Caddy and the Duesy moved to Pakistan first with the cars and later both cars left from Pakistan to homes in the US
Hey DKG,

If you remember, at that time there were no direct links from India to Pakistan. So in all probability, the cars could not have gone direct. Further, there is no reported sighting of these cars in Pakistan, but in Dubai there was. That is concluded by deduction. Perhaps the likes of Alvis, Mohsin can tell us if they had ever heard of these cars in Pakistan. I fear not.

Cheers harit
Old 15th June 2010, 11:25   #538
Senior - BHPian

Came across this add in the Classic and Sports Cars June 2010 issue.
Was this car ever in India? I fear not, would have been lovely if she was here. Does anyone have any info on this car?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bentley-2.jpg  

Old 15th June 2010, 16:56   #539
Senior - BHPian

Check this link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...-indore-2.html

This car was never in India but owned by the Holkars based at their home in California.

Do you think they are palming off the history of this Continental on that blue R type you posted ?

Last edited by wasif : 15th June 2010 at 16:57.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:03   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this add in the Classic and Sports Cars June 2010 issue.
Was this car ever in India? I fear not, would have been lovely if she was here. Does anyone have any info on this car?

Cheers harit
Jaipur did have a 2 Door R-Type (not Continental) Abbott coupe:
Chassis # B218UM, Engine # B234U; U.K. Registration OXR-4.
Need to check if this car was ever in India. List of Bentleys in the "Bentleys in India" thread, post # 158.
Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 15th June 2010 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks