Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 19:22   #226
BHPian

"Automobiles o the Maharajas" by Manvendra Singh

dear all,
can anyone suggest the best place to buy this book I know Amazon in the USA have copies but presumably cheaper to buy several copies there in India?
Any suggestions
terry

One of the most comprehensive compilations of the cars owned by Indian Maharajas is the "Automobiles of the Maharajas " by Manvendra Singh of Barwani. ISBN : 8190060287. Rs. 3500/-
Old 13th May 2008, 22:08   #227
BHPian

Bookshops India | Online books shopping India | College textbooks India

Type the name in their search bar. They have it and are very reputable.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:45   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Shyam, this one's for you.

I came across this card from the Maharaja of Dharampur recently, an invite for possibly the opening of a building at the hands of the Maharaja of Kashmir. Dont miss the titles!
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-dharampur.jpg  

Old 16th May 2008, 11:09   #229
BHPian

WOW Vintage cars...sorry cards
Old 16th May 2008, 11:43   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Shyam, this one's for you.

I came across this card from the Maharaja of Dharampur recently, an invite for possibly the opening of a building at the hands of the Maharaja of Kashmir. Dont miss the titles!
Thanks Karl!
Although he wasnt a Maharaja of Dharampur but known as just a Raja.

So maybe its not the same person..? Just wondering!
Old 16th May 2008, 11:54   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks Karl!
Although he wasnt a Maharaja of Dharampur but known as just a Raja.

So maybe its not the same person..? Just wondering!
Well I use the term Maharaja quite loosely, covering Rajas, Ranas, Maharanas and all other rulers of princely states

And Im sure there was more than one memeber of the Dharampur royal family in the 60s.
Old 16th May 2008, 12:05   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well I use the term Maharaja quite loosely, covering Rajas, Ranas, Maharanas and all other rulers of princely states

And Im sure there was more than one memeber of the Dharampur royal family in the 60s.
Oh..ok.

'wold be nice if only someone unearthed period photos of his Heralds when he had them!
Old 16th May 2008, 12:14   #233
Senior - BHPian

Its all about cars honey!

Hey! Vintage buffs,

Watch the 'All about my car honey' show hosted by Gautam Sen on NDTV Goodtimes... He's showcasing the collections of vintage cars in India. I've watched 2 episodes showing the Fali Dhondy collection of exotics, and yesterday was the Sanjoy Ghosh collection from Kolkatta.

I'm lovin it!

Schedule at : Welcome to Good Times - What are you searching for?
Old 17th May 2008, 21:59   #234
BHPian

All about my car honey

It sounds like this programme is interesting it is certainly not on local TV and I havn't seen it on satelite ie fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Watch the 'All about my car honey' show hosted by Gautam Sen on NDTV Goodtimes... He's showcasing the collections of vintage cars in India. I've watched 2 episodes showing the Fali Dhondy collection of exotics, and yesterday was the Sanjoy Ghosh collection from Kolkatta.

Schedule at : Welcome to Good Times - What are you searching for?

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2008 at 04:28.
Old 18th May 2008, 07:07   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
12. Another shot of the 1926 Daimler with Barker body went to Gulab Singh the ruler of Rewa
Attachment 2833

Some were in the Blackhawk collection at some point but aren't in their present itinery.
I can confirm that this Daimler is still in the Blackhawk collection. Here's a picture I got from a friend.

Old 10th July 2008, 22:45   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

This RHD Adler Trumph Junior appears in 1001 Images of Cars. It bears the regn JP/UJJAIN. I assume there is an Indian connection?
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-05.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 14:00   #237

May I add photos of your scale-model Orccha V-16 to the "Toys" section of the Cadillac Database. What was the construction medium? How did you decide on a colour scheme?

Right now, my wife and I are in Europe, until September 8, 2008. So the additions to the Database could not be made before then.

Non
__________________________________________________ _________

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pininfarina.....must be one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Since I can't afford the real one, thought I will build my own!

So here goes
Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pinin Farina (yes that is how it was originally spelt!).
And yes, I did indulge in some "poetic licence" , like moving the side mounted spares a little farther forward than the original; and deleting the mud flaps!
(1/25 scale converted from a Jo-Han 4 Door Phaeton)

Attachment 8237

and the real one for comparison (source:Pininfarina)

Attachment 8238

and back to 1/25 scale

Attachment 8239

Attachment 8240

Attachment 8241
Old 19th July 2008, 16:14   #238
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of V12 :

Not sure if these have been posted :

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gayatri_devi_of_jaipur_1.jpg
Maharani Gayatri Devi of Jaipur

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gooding_1913_rolls.jpg
Owned by the Maharaja of Patiala, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh, this car stands out even within the collection of such an ardent Rolls-Royce customer. The Maharaja was not afraid of the price of customization, even at the turn of the last century: he paid $400 in today's money for a tool roll, $1,000 for a pair of jump seats, between which rest a crystal decanter and four matching tumblers.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-13_rollsroyce_slvrghst_torpedo_tr_dv07_aia_01.jpg
The car was originally fitted with a Hooper Landaulette body planned to be exported to India. Plans changed, and the car was sent to New York City and into the care of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt. On a voyage from New York to Liverpool aboard the Lusitania, the ship was attacked by a German U-Boat and sank in less than 20 minutes.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-13rr_slvr_ghst_lndn_to_ednbrg_dv_07_gc_01.jpg
In 1913, this Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost with chassis 2517 was ordered. It was fitted with a custom six-seater Torpedo body with coachwork handled by H.J. Mulliner. The original owner was the Maharaja of Patiala, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh, who held forth over the state of Patiala from 1900 to 1938. It is rumored that he married ten times and had 200 concubines and eighty-eight children. His Rolls-Royce rivals those rumors, as it was fitted with many custom features and luxury items. It came equipped with a Cobra horn, running-board coverings, tool roll, and a pair of jump seats. The larger-than-life persona of the Maharaja can be seen throughout the vehicle. The Maharaja was a favored client of Rolls-Royce and was given the opportunity to order the first Rolls-Royce Twenty. He accepted, but went a bit farther; he ordered a whole fleet of them. Years later, during the 1930s, Rolls-Royce did not accept any orders from Maharaja Bhupinder Singh. In retaliation, the Maharaja assigned his Rolls-Royce cars to the streets, to be used for trash pickup. Only after Rolls-Royce relented did the Maharaja recall his fleet of Rolls-Royce from civil duties. In 1985 this Rolls-Royce chassis 2517 was acquired by Richard Solove in India. The car was not in running condition, though solid and in fair condition throughout. It wore a London-to-Edinburgh Tourer coachwork which it still retains in modern times. It was brought to running and driving condition, and driven across Patiala and Pakistan to Karachi. Upon arrival, it was sent to Britain and to Jonathan Harley's shop where a four-year restoration was performed.

Last edited by Gordon : 19th July 2008 at 16:16.
Old 19th July 2008, 16:41   #239
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more :

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-37_talbo_t150_c_ss_dv07_ai_026.jpg
Once owned by the Maharajah of Kapurthala.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-concours_d_elegance_at_cranbrook_gallery_0081_gallery_image_large.jpg
This car, bodied by Hooper, features robust hind quarters that bloom gracefully, growing a full four inches wider from front to rear. The curved windshield is the first to be used on a Rolls. Once owned by a Maharajah, the custom interior has his-and-hers stadium-style seating (it's a full nine inches higher than the front, with a boot-rail for him and an angled footrest for her) and one other RR first—an electric window for the driver.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:12   #240
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow !! This has to be the most spectacular Ghost picture I've ever seen. Something about this car is just so beautifully right. I think the colour combination with the buffed aluminium has just taken the appeal to another level. Wow this car will remain etched in my mind for a long long time. Most Ghosts seen in pictures are so dowdy, barring the London Edinburgh style. But this one really takes the cake. Fantastic
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-13_rollsroyce_slvrghst_torpedo_tr_dv07_aia_01.jpg

Could someone please share the full story on this car? Gordon your text is a bit confusing as I am not able to figure out which picture the material relates to. Excuse me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks