Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 20:24   #181
BHPian

Re: Land Rover support group!

Dear Mr. Gill,

I am glad you found that interesting. I notice a very unique color on your wheels, may I ask you to please explain how that came about, do you like it?

I also notice you have locking hubs, can you post some close ups. they look like AVM hubs to me, do they work?

I am inclined to think they are of no real benefit,.

But, Sir you are in a position to change my mind if you tell me there is a noticeable difference in the following when the front wheels are unlocked
a- is it easier to steer
b- dose the old girl return better mileage

Thanks in advance.

NM
Old 1st February 2012, 02:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
LR Gurus,

I'm thinking about getting one of these using Transfer of Residency:

I really want 300 Tdi motor and R380 transmission but just that would set me back by about $25k. New galvanized chassis would be about $10k.

I'm very confused. Is the 2.5 (non-turbo) good enough for highway driving?
No.

For a regular highway experience, please source a 300Tdi, a TD5 or Puma (Ford Transit 2.4) diesel or get a NAS V8 Petrol engined one.

The 300Tdi is a bit gruff but is the most uncomplicated (read no electronics) and therefore reliable for offroaders-only use, but the Td5 is mod-friendly and can be chipped to nearly 200 bhp and torque to go with it.

Your choice of the R380 GB is probably the best of the lot.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st February 2012 at 02:18.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 03:12   #183
BHPian

Thanks Steeroid.

I would have gone with 300Tdi but the cost would kill me and I have come to conclusion that the 2.5 with added air-conditioner would not be fit for highway cruising.

Unfortunately, the idea of me getting a Defender 90 is fading day by day.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:06   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4er View Post
Dear Mr. Gill,

I am glad you found that interesting. I notice a very unique color on your wheels, may I ask you to please explain how that came about, do you like it?

I also notice you have locking hubs, can you post some close ups. they look like AVM hubs to me, do they work?

I am inclined to think they are of no real benefit,.

But, Sir you are in a position to change my mind if you tell me there is a noticeable difference in the following when the front wheels are unlocked
a- is it easier to steer
b- dose the old girl return better mileage

Thanks in advance.

NM
hi, the rims are orange and i dont like them, they came with the car but iam planning to paint them in dark camouflage colour, hope they will look better also the front bumper is going to be camouflage in colour.the hubs are fairey locking hubs and are good for non 4wd /onroad use.there is an instruction sticker still intact inside the cabin as to how to operate the hubs when in 4wd mode,the sticker strongly recommends to engage the hubs when on low ratio 4wd or else the pressure on the rear axles may harm the axles permanently.the vehicle feels comfortable in terms of vibrations and noise levels when the locking hubs are disengaged on highways,i mead the drive only at the rear wheels

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd February 2012 at 15:52. Reason: See note in post
Old 9th February 2012, 16:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4er View Post
Hi Mr.Gill / Greetings Rajubhai

Allow me to share what little I know of the OD

Mr Gill the OD can be identified by looking through the seat box access, There are not many types available for the series landy here are a few I know
1- Fairey (later sold to the superwinch co)
2- GKN
3- Toro (santana)
4- Rocky mountain (roverdrive) these are new design only about 10-15 years ago, highly desirable since many of the ills suffered by the older ODs have been sorted for example the roverdrive shares the oil with the TC, all other ODs need to be checked for oil and topped up regularly.

ODs have 3 positions in / out and neutral you will have 3 neutral gears in your landy if you have an OD,
and you will have 16 forward gear ratios and 4 reverse gear ratios 20 gears in all.

If you need help with identifying your OD do post a few pics.
sir as desired i clicked two pictures of the over drive gear lever,here are the pictures,so please suggest how to operate it and if possible please let me know if it is in or out of overdrive?also a friend told me about the PTO functions in Land rovers,please throw some light too
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-img2012020502847.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-img2012020502848.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 20:35   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill

sir as desired i clicked two pictures of the over drive gear lever,here are the pictures,so please suggest how to operate it and if possible please let me know if it is in or out of overdrive?also a friend told me about the PTO functions in Land rovers,please throw some light too
Greetings Mr.Gill

You seem to have the fairey OD from looking at the lever.
There are various PTO attachments but IMO you can't use any along with the OD
I have seen various well written instructions for the OD I will look up my reading list and share it with you instead of composing online.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:05   #187
BANNED

Dear All here is a Link where there are many Land Rover Manuals to find & other interesting things also .

Of-course I have got it

Here to share

pdf Land Rover Manuals | Landroverweb.com

Best regards

Sudarshan
Old 19th May 2012, 10:14   #188
BANNED

This one from a FB friend's wall -- his credit

looks like a PTO attachment for series LR gearbox ( for front bumper mounted winch )

Land Rover support group!-5.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 18:32   #189
BHPian

Hi
I am looking for a contact breaker point of my 1984 Range Rover Classic. Could you give any pointers about who in India might be able to supply one?
Many thanks
Sarojesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hello,I am from Pune. I have a Serise Land Rover,I am trying to find other Landy owners from Pune (Mumbai & others are also welcome).
The purpose of starting a new thread & reasons in short
1) Land Rovers, in India are scares,hard to find (even non running),they are becoming extinct.
2) Owners are finding it difficult to maintain (parts & all that)
So owners getting together,knowing each other will be benificial to all.We can help each other. We can plan outings .
I personally know Landy owners from Mumbai,Bengluru,& Colkata. (excuse for splling,but I prefer to call the Restored name). I also know few dealers for spares. I also happen to have few shop manuals,spare catalougs.I think I might help others.
This is my Third Landy now . I am a DIY type guy, I do all the jobs myself. But everybody is not so. People do have erstrictions. So I intend to help then get helped (its not so that I dont need help,It can come from any unexpected corner.)
So Landy owners you are welcome.
Posting some pictures. Yours Sudarshan.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:10   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarojesh View Post
Hi
I am looking for a contact breaker point of my 1984 Range Rover Classic. Could you give any pointers about who in India might be able to supply one?
Many thanks
Sarojesh
Check this post 13 ( Mr Pramod Gupta - Kanal enterprise )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1927995

BTW , CB point set is a small Item , you can order it from abroad even by courier

Sudrashan
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:18   #191
BHPian

Thanks. Am already in touch with Mr Pramod Gupta but the point that he had sent me wasn't one that fits in my distributor. Can you please tell me where I can order it from abroad? Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Check this post 13 ( Mr Pramod Gupta - Kanal enterprise )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1927995

BTW , CB point set is a small Item , you can order it from abroad even by courier

Sudrashan
Old 12th July 2012, 17:28   #192
BHPian

For all you Land Rover fans. If you have an android phone, you can download the LR-Parts app. Just search for it in the Play Store. You should find it easily.

I find it an interesting app that allows me to search for some common spare parts and get a fair idea what prices your should be prepared to shell out! But I cannot say how detailed it is as I'm still waiting for God to bless me with the good fortune of find a Landy to own!

But it's got parts for Series III, Defender ( all engines) and all the other common models including the Evoque! But sadly no Series 1 or 2.
HillBilly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 15:24   #193

Long time i haven't been on the forum and i see it is still very active with plenty of really LR enthusiats!
i have been driving my 109 SW around for months now and i wanted to enjoy open air so i removed the roof however now with the rain i cant drive in anything else they a diving suit
Does anyone know a tailor that could stitch a soft top/canvas in or around Delhi?
I am already having the soft frames done.
I'm thinking of having a soft top above the front and middle seats only and leave the back as is.

Thanks!
Old 30th August 2012, 09:15   #194
BANNED

Yesterday a friend came to my place with his series 3 , Here is a pic of the series 3 along with my series 2a showing the notable points of differences in body between the two , shown in circles .( enlarge the pic by clicking it )

Please also check this for more pics ( the post & the thread )
here > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2886668

Land Rover support group!-differences.jpg

Sudarshan
Old 31st August 2012, 17:55   #195
BHPian

Although this a foreign news, instead of posting it in the International section, I thought I'll share this info with fellow Land Rover enthusiasts here. It may be deleted if its found undesirable and OT here. http://classiccars.about.com/b/2012/...-sale.htm?nl=1
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks