Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 11:30   #106
BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Nice clean job, does the flooring pattern look different than stock. Post some more pics please. Is that a Rover P5 in the background?
Amol,

The floor pattern is a close to the original as possible. Attached are few pics of other ponton being restored for reference. The car in the background is a 1956 Studebaker President.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-boot_prime_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-paint06.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-paint10.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-coupe_prime_3.jpg  

Old 17th January 2011, 11:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

That is a VERY VERY clean repair of body you have got done Prithvi. Is thsi your car or someone elses.

This should serve as a benchmark for restoration quality for others attempting bodywork.

Going by how bad your car was when the work started its an amazing transformation.

Also one quesion there looks to be provision for two spares in teh boot going byteh indentations in the boot floor, did these cars actually have two spares ?

Last edited by wasif : 17th January 2011 at 11:36.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That is a VERY VERY clean repair of body you have got done Prithvi. Is thsi your car or someone elses.

This should serve as a benchmark for restoration quality for others attempting bodywork.

Going by how bad your car was when the work started its an amazing transformation.

Also one quesion there looks to be provision for two spares in teh boot going byteh indentations in the boot floor, did these cars actually have two spares ?
Hi Wasif,

The first pics are of my car, the other pics are of other cars. What do you think of the work of my car? The 2 wheel wells came in all pontons and some had 2 spares like Amol's though this was a rare extra paid option.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 17th January 2011, 17:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Wasif,
The 2 wheel wells came in all pontons and some had 2 spares like Amol's though this was a rare extra paid option.

Regards
Prithvi
Indeed so and they are also listed in the data card of my car. Apparently mine was a option maxed car, with adjustable seats and special metallic color that was only offered on the 220S
Attached Images

Old 18th January 2011, 10:40   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Wasif,

The first pics are of my car, the other pics are of other cars. What do you think of the work of my car? The 2 wheel wells came in all pontons and some had 2 spares like Amol's though this was a rare extra paid option.

Regards
Prithvi
Prithvi.

You car is turning out great too. If its being done at the same place by the guys wo did that other car then I am sure its gonna turn out right !

Interesting to hear about the dual spares....didn't know this
Old 18th January 2011, 11:19   #111
Team-BHP Support

Hi Prithvi,

Could you please share the step by step process involved in floor board preparation after the tinkering was done. Also the products used and approx cost?

The outcomes sure is brilliant, one of the best i have seen

cheers
Jaggu
Old 18th January 2011, 12:12   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hi Prithvi,

Could you please share the step by step process involved in floor board preparation after the tinkering was done. Also the products used and approx cost?

The outcomes sure is brilliant, one of the best i have seen

cheers
Jaggu
Hi Jaggu,

I would be glad to give a step by step write-up:

1) First, all surface rust on both new and old sheet metal should be sand papered off thoroughly. After this, with a clean cloth, apply evenly a Metal Phosphate converter, and allow it to dry for around half an hour. After drying, this will become a whitish grey layer. Then with a clean cloth, thoroughly clean the Phosphate layer and ensure that the panels are smooth and do not have any dust, rust on them. Cost of Metal Phosphate converter is anything between Rs.190 for good Indian makes to about Rs.500 for US brands such as Loctite.

2) If there are any closed sections like there was on my car, which won't be accessible after welding them back on, apply a coat of red lead, brush application will do. This is quite an inexpensive compound.

3) Once the surface is smooth and shiny, spray on Zinc Phosphate Grey Epoxy Primer or Zinc Chromate Yellow epoxy primer. Both are good, though my restorer thought that Phosphate primer was better. My restorer used MRF Speciality Auto Coats Zinc Phosphate primer, which costs approx. Rs.700 per litre.

4) After this, close all the panel gaps which are present with an Auto body Sealant. I used 3M Autobody Sealant, which cost Rs.800 for one canister, though I will be requiring 2 of these for my car.

5) Ensure that all solvents such as Thinner etc. are top notch quality and strictly follow the mixture ratios. Often, bad results are caused due to poor quality solvents and wrong mixing ratios.

6) After all this, spray on the final coat of paint, and make sure it is also en Epoxy based paint. Cost of Epoxy based paint should be around Rs.600-700 per litre.

7) If your chassis has inaccessible closed sections like mine, use DINITROL Cavity Wax, which you can spray by drilling holes in the chassis. Cost of 1 can is Rs.1500.

All these when done right, will ensure that your classic car will not rust for years to come, and will add to your sense of satisfaction when the car is completed.

Total cost for all these compounds is: Approx. Rs.4000/-

Oh, just got back from the radio repair shop, my radio, which had stopped working thanks to my faulty experimentation, is now working! It sounds great, better I would say than most modern transistorised units, and the warmer it gets, the clearer the sound.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2011, 12:45   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Jaggu,

Thanks a ton Prithvi. Coincidence or not somebody had called me yesterday asking for details and i guided him to your thread. The details were missing and hence thought of asking for the same.

This is exactly what i needed to know and its a ton of good information for all of us.

Once again thank you!

cheers
Jaggu
Old 18th January 2011, 14:08   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent Write-Up and excellent work. Just went through all the post and the links given. Prithvi, I must say, this is pure love and dedication. After reading your restoration process, I remembered My Uncles BUG, which was left to Die, just because non of us were willing to put in this amount of work on getting her back to Life...

Now i wish i had the same amount of Dedication you, kasli & Many others who put in so much effort in Keeping these Ageless Beauties alive.

Your Work has made me make up my mind to find my Uncles Bug and bring her back to life. This would be on cards during my next visit back Home.
Old 19th January 2011, 07:52   #115
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I have just become the proud owner of this brand new Webasto complete roof kit from E-Bay! This is something that I have always wanted for my car and am glad that I chanced upon it in time. I kept awake nearly half the night to bid for this item! Please see the following pics of the item and details.

Regards
Prithvi

"Sunroof kit from famed English coach builder Webasto. Installation was never started, and believe the kit to be complete. Kit is marked Mercedes 190 Ponton Saloon. All materials are top quality. Mercedes style perforated headliner material is white, heavy canvas material is Navy Blue. A kit like this prices out at around $1000. This is offered at NO RESERVE. Shipped UPS Ground for $80."
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-web.html.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-web_2.html.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-web_1.html.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-web_3.html.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-web_4.html.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 19th January 2011 at 07:59.
Old 19th January 2011, 08:31   #116
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

This restoration is truly an inspiration. Congrats to you Prithvi on your dedication to restore this car to such high standards. I am very impressed and hopefully can replicate this quality using your standards as a reference point

Quote:
Regards
Prithvi
Thanks a ton for this note. All the time we keep debating on the various options. However reading your note and relating it back to the pictures made things very easy to understand.

Cheers

KPS
Old 19th January 2011, 10:21   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All materials are top quality. Mercedes style perforated headliner material is white, heavy canvas material is Navy Blue.
Blue eh? now You will have to colour your car to go with the roof top, even a Silver will look great, but that was original only for the 300SL and 190Sl.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Blue eh? now You will have to colour your car to go with the roof top, even a Silver will look great, but that was original only for the 300SL and 190Sl.

Amol,

I wonder how come DB never offered silver as an option on the sedans? The 190SL and 300SLs could be had with these but not the saloons. Come to think of it, when they had Metallic Blue, Green and Strawberry pink of all colours available, why not silver or champagne?

Regards
Prithvi
Old 19th January 2011, 14:08   #119
BHPian

Here is a pic and description of a webasto sunroof installed on a 180a, just like my car, with a wind deflector.

"A Webasto wind deflector in the lowered position in a 1959 Type W120 180a Ponton sedan. In the lowered position, this accessory would function as a sun glare visor."

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_webasto_deflector_180a_1959.jpg

Regards
Prithvi
Old 19th January 2011, 15:01   #120
BHPian

Here is another pic of a 1959 180D with a webasto top.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb10.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks