Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 20:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Heyy.. I've never seen a two-tone Ponton. (except for the coupes)
My vote goes to the Maroon and Black !!
Old 1st February 2011, 22:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Prithvi! But I don't like any of them. I was never convinced with the two tone schemes in 180s, 190s and sometimes even the 220S. I personally think that the two tone paint scheme was a bit of an afterthought to combat primarily American cars. However they never took off even in their time.

The problem lies in the fact that there is no convincing way to cut the paint tones cleanly and tend to become kind of messy in certain areas of the body. The second set of pics you posted are of a 190 which had chrome strips running around the bottom of the windows that allows you to cut the colours cleanly. But then your car which is a 180 should not have those as they were never offered as options even by the dealer, adding those you will loose the 180 ness of the car!

In the end its a matter of personal taste and what colour will work best on the bodystyle of the car. I definately think the two tones will make your car look very very gimicky. I would avoid!

Sorry and as usual wishing you the best
Amol
Old 1st February 2011, 23:24   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Sorry Prithvi! But I don't like any of them. I was never convinced with the two tone schemes in 180s, 190s and sometimes even the 220S. I personally think that the two tone paint scheme was a bit of an afterthought to combat primarily American cars. However they never took off even in their time.

The problem lies in the fact that there is no convincing way to cut the paint tones cleanly and tend to become kind of messy in certain areas of the body. The second set of pics you posted are of a 190 which had chrome strips running around the bottom of the windows that allows you to cut the colours cleanly. But then your car which is a 180 should not have those as they were never offered as options even by the dealer, adding those you will loose the 180 ness of the car!

In the end its a matter of personal taste and what colour will work best on the bodystyle of the car. I definately think the two tones will make your car look very very gimicky. I would avoid!

Sorry and as usual wishing you the best
Amol
This is also right

But Prithvi, look at it like this..

Full car in Shining BLACK and anyways you have the Canvas top, why dont you do the folding roof in BEIGE. You get your 2 tone also.

Now, that should look a KILLER

NOTE: White / Cream car with BLACK top would look Ghastly. Dont attempt that please.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 1st February 2011 at 23:26.
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:59   #139
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions, appreciate it very much. A deep rusty maroon top with black lower body. Cream with black top is not something that I want, because I think that light colours in general do not highlight the subtle lines of the car.

Pavan, sadly the Webasto is on hold for the moment, my dad threw a fit when he heard the price I paid for it, and I had to cancel and return the item. He asked me to get the roof from Webasto dealer in Kolkata, and they quoted, Rs.1,20,000/-!!!, 4 times the price I was getting it for. Now I have to plead with Dad for the roof, or get it in without anyone knowing, because he is dead against getting the roof:(

Amol, I appreciate your thoughts on two tones, but I look at it like this, the car is going to be painted to a very high standard, and it's going to be fairly expensive. It's going to wearing the same paint atleast for the next 10 years, so why not paint it a shade that is unique, and I really like this combo to be honest. Yes, my car will have the chrome dividing strips on the beltline, and your wrong about the options, I have seen a 180 in the US which had this option and was fitted by the dealer. Also, note that the window frames and centre pillar will remain balck, the deep red will only be for the roof, so it gives a much better look. Now to buy some much needed parts

Regards
Prithvi
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:31   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi all,

Here are 3 colour choices that I've zeroed in on for my car, with a lot of help from Photo-shop. Feel, free to let me know which of the 3 would look best on the car.

Regards
Prithvi
Quote:

Quote:
Amol, I appreciate your thoughts on two tones, but I look at it like this, the car is going to be painted to a very high standard, and it's going to be fairly expensive. It's going to wearing the same paint atleast for the next 10 years, so why not paint it a shade that is unique, and I really like this combo to be honest.
At the outset let me complement you on the way you are going about things with this restoration - mighty impressive. The car should turn out super, and I am keenly following the story as it unfolds.

I do echo Amol's concerns. A Ponton for me simply cannot be two tone, to my eyes it just doesn't look period. An important aspect to me of the look of a restored car is how period it looks. Would that car blend in with the others around it if transported back 50 years? It is a difficult phenomenon to explain, but it simply would look out of place to me.

The colour options too are not the regular ones - black with blue or green tops were very scarcely offered. Yes, maroon tops were relatively more popular with black bodies.

Eventually it boils down of course to your personal preference, but since you are trying so hard to get your car so close to original, why choose a different colour option, which plays such a major part? You say since you are spending so much money, 'why not make it unique'. Its the same school of thought applied to the rest of the car too right? Yet you endeavour to keep it bone stock as far as practically possible.

Wish you many years of happy motoring and all the best.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:28   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
At the outset let me complement you on the way you are going about things with this restoration - mighty impressive. The car should turn out super, and I am keenly following the story as it unfolds.

Its the same school of thought applied to the rest of the car too right? Yet you endeavour to keep it bone stock as far as practically possible.

Wish you many years of happy motoring and all the best.
Karl,

Thank you very much for your complements, and am very glad that you are following the story of my Ponton.

Well, Karl, if someone as knowledgeable as you are not alright with the colour, then I will have to reconsider. It's a difficult choice. Amol, I value your thoughts too. Black, without doubt, looks the best on a Ponton, but only if it is done flawlessly, which is not usually the case. The slightest ripple down the ample flanks will ruin the car. I have seen several black cars, with super paint jobs and half inch thick coats of paint, but with slight ripples. Apart from that, my dad wanted black from day one.

So after serious debating, I am now down to 4 choices, none unique, all single tone, original DB paint options. Attaching 4 pics of the 4 different colours, which are nearly the shades I want. They might not all be pontons pictured, you will have to imagine the colour on a ponton! Black is already pictured so not posting again. So please look at these carefully, and then let me have all the great feed back possible. Out with red and black then.

P.S. Really like this shade of green though

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-3893536980_27289d738d.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mercedespontonblue.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-800pxmercedes_170_ds.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-merc01.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 2nd February 2011 at 15:30.
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

I love the green, That was my choice from day one for your car! And with a black webasto top it will just look superb.

The 190 Trims I agree may have been put by certain dealers to bling up the 180 but that was certainly not a factory option. Now there's now no harm if you put the trims but in my opinion why not maintain the purity and intent of the original manufacturers intent in design when restoring a particular model. That having been said are you using Standox or ICI paints? Remember Standox is the true torchbearer of the original Merecdes factory paint supplier Dr Herbert. The other option also ofcourse was Glasurit.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-1200241240289_dsc_0017.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2011, 16:31   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I love the green, That was my choice from day one for your car! And with a black webasto top it will just look superb.

The 190 Trims I agree may have been put by certain dealers to bling up the 180 but that was certainly not a factory option. Now there's now no harm if you put the trims but in my opinion why not maintain the purity and intent of the original manufacturers intent in design when restoring a particular model. That having been said are you using Standox or ICI paints? Remember Standox is the true torchbearer of the original Merecdes factory paint supplier Dr Herbert. The other option also ofcourse was Glasurit.
Hmmm...Nice pic, but this green is a pastel green, much softer, whereas mine is deeper. I think it was called 'marina green' by DB. Dr. Herbert was the OEM paint supplier for the special colours like yours, whereas I will be using Glasurit, as it's available in Kolkata, and was OEM for the standard finishes. Agreed, green with black webasto top, very light tan upholstery, and matching dark tan carpets. That along with the wood work will look superb indeed.

Coming to the trims, yes you are right, they were never offered by the factory as options, but they were offered by dealers. In fact I know that DB would look down on these dealer 'upgrades' as they thought that the lesser car was trying to be something that it was not. Nonetheless, she will wear the belt-line chrome trim, though I have decided against the rear door kick panel chrome and fender beadings, after all there is a limit to how much is tolerable.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:54   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm...Nice pic, but this green is a pastel green, much softer, whereas mine is deeper. I think it was called 'marina green' by DB. Dr. Herbert was the OEM paint supplier for the special colours like yours, whereas I will be using Glasurit, as it's available in Kolkata, and was OEM for the standard finishes. Agreed, green with black webasto top, very light tan upholstery, and matching dark tan carpets. That along with the wood work will look superb indeed.
Hi prithvi, you may use Glasurit howver as a matter of curiosity what letter is embossed on your colour plate after the colour code for example mine is DB353-H, H indicates Herbert. Does your have "G" for Glasurit or "H" for Herbert.

Personally I think Pastels are in, especially in our design industry and the car will go very well with the architecture and Cuba "esque" atmosphere that you have in Kolkata regards Amol

PS: I am uploading some more pics of the car she was a very original car that came up for sale on ebay about 4 yrs go. Crazy as it sounds I used to maintain records of international pontons that came for sale on ebay and which i thought were original.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-1200241238330_dsc_0013.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-1200241244221_dsc_0041.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-1200241244996_dsc_0047.jpg  

Last edited by the mole : 2nd February 2011 at 17:59.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:31   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Hi prithvi, you may use Glasurit howver as a matter of curiosity what letter is embossed on your colour plate after the colour code for example mine is DB353-H, H indicates Herbert. Does your have "G" for Glasurit or "H" for Herbert.

Personally I think Pastels are in, especially in our design industry and the car will go very well with the architecture and Cuba "esque" atmosphere that you have in Kolkata regards Amol

PS: I am uploading some more pics of the car she was a very original car that came up for sale on ebay about 4 yrs go. Crazy as it sounds I used to maintain records of international pontons that came for sale on ebay and which i thought were original.
Lovely lovely car, and now in this pic the shade looks greener. My car was Schwarz or Black and had the code 'DB-40G' the G of course denoting Glasurit. Attached are some more pics of other cars, of slightly deeper shades, though I like the one on the 220 the best. The cabriolet combos are very elegant and smooth, and if I had one, I would paint it one of these. It's the same blue as on your car, Helblau Metallic and the Helgrun Metallic for the green car. I rate the 220S cabriolets amongst the most elegant convertibles ever, in fact, I have a strange feeling that Rolls Royce took some design cues for their much later Corniche's!

Also, a surprise pic of a failed attempt on your car to match that shade of green!

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mercedes_benz_220_w187.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mercedesbenz220sepontoncabriolet1959600x450.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-3112170965_6e7aa8ce8e_s.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-3112171069_befab314bb_s.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-3112170965_6e7aa8ce8e.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by mbz180 : 2nd February 2011 at 18:33.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

Prithvi,

I would say the green coloured one posted by Amol is one awesome looking. A similar colour slightly darker I think its called "leaf green", I am thinking of same for my Car.
Old 2nd February 2011, 22:22   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I do echo Amol's concerns. A Ponton for me simply cannot be two tone, to my eyes it just doesn't look period. An important aspect to me of the look of a restored car is how period it looks. Would that car blend in with the others around it if transported back 50 years? It is a difficult phenomenon to explain, but it simply would look out of place to me.

The colour options too are not the regular ones - black with blue or green tops were very scarcely offered. Yes, maroon tops were relatively more popular with black bodies.
Hello Karl,

I disagree with you on what you said above. 2 tone options were very much an option for Pontons, and were readily available and subscribed to. Please see the original Ponton Paint charts for reference. Also some pics of lovely 2 tone, and period Pontons. Am also very delighted to see that MB has featured the humble 4 cylinder Ponton in their promo for their new E-Class. Happy Motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_colorchart1_inside_all-1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_colorchart2_insideb1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbcolors2.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbcolors3.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_180b_1961_lebanon7.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_180b_1961_lebanon8.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_220s_1959_brazil4.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_220s_1958_chris_williams3.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_220a_1955_irvine_scotland_david_stuart.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-689651_1243232_4724_3543_08c696_032.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 2nd February 2011 at 22:34.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:17   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Karl,

I disagree with you on what you said above. 2 tone options were very much an option for Pontons, and were readily available and subscribed to. Please see the original Ponton Paint charts for reference. Also some pics of lovely 2 tone, and period Pontons. Am also very delighted to see that MB has featured the humble 4 cylinder Ponton in their promo for their new E-Class. Happy Motoring!
Wow, that is quite a range! Impressive for a relatively mass market car in the 50s and 60s, what say? Of course I stand corrected, though I still prefer a single tone colour - why? Simply because I've very rarely seen one (even internationally), and therefore it looks strange to my eyes. Cheers.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:03   #149
BHPian

Hello,

Here are a couple of pics of the new Hirschmann Power antenna that has just arrived today from the US. The mast is chrome.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0217.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0216.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 20:26   #150
BHPian

Pictured here are are the 16 new rubber washers/seals required for the front suspension which have just arrived from Bangalore. Am going to the workshop tomorrow to give them. Suspension re-assembly will start after I give these.

Was also told that all the undercarriage nuts and bolts have been plated (White Cadmium) as per the original 190SL Concours detailing specs that I have.

Wiring will also start soon.

Now all I need to complete the front suspension are a pair of front stabilizer bar bushes (just ordered them) and a pair of semi-circular rubber buffers, that I have seen at a local MB parts store.

Also just ordered an accelerator pedal rubber from Germany.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0222.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0223.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks