Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 20:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Why do you say the engine is not original?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
yes the engine is an original OHV 1497 cc HINDUSTAN logo engine.you can see the SU carburretor also in the photo.
the carburretor looks like a modern one, it should have been round (like early fiats). also the pipe from the radiator shows it has a coolant.
i may be entirely wrong though, do enlighten me about this.
Old 19th July 2009, 00:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the carburretor looks like a modern one, it should have been round (like early fiats). also the pipe from the radiator shows it has a coolant.
i may be entirely wrong though, do enlighten me about this.
The carb is indeed the original SU unit (Skinners Union I think). Parts are difficult to source, the carb itself is difficult to tune, but when in good shape it is a very economical unit.

The pipe in the radiator is for the overflow, present in all radiators. Coolant is very often added in these older radiators too. I add some to the water once every 6-8 months, topping up only with water.
Old 19th July 2009, 00:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

karl, thanks a ton for providing me the information.
Old 31st July 2009, 23:06   #19
BHPian

i have a 1960 model ohv ambassador.it had no ohv emblem on the sides of mudguard.was it missing?some says that earlier models had no such ohv emblem.i had seen" 0hv62"emblem on a 1962 model car.was it original ?
Old 1st August 2009, 00:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmohan View Post
i have a 1960 model ohv ambassador.it had no ohv emblem on the sides of mudguard.was it missing?some says that earlier models had no such ohv emblem.i had seen" 0hv62"emblem on a 1962 model car.was it original ?
'depends on whether your car was an original OHV engine or not. DDoes it have the original petrol engine on? Most Ambys are dieselised, as we know.
Old 1st August 2009, 01:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmohan View Post
no, it was not original. the OHV badge came as an aftermarket fitting so some cars had the emblem and most did not.
Old 1st August 2009, 08:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
The car has been painted black, which was the original colour, am told that these cars came with red and light grey rexine seat covers.Anyone have any old brochures/photographs??
No brochure and no photograph. Only memory helped me to draw this for you. Please excuse me for my poor drawing quality. Carlos can probably certify this colour scheme and design. I remember this distinctly because my father's car came with this colour scheme and gleaming black paint.

Ambassador 61' restoration-seat.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 10:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
No brochure and no photograph. Only memory helped me to draw this for you. Please excuse me for my poor drawing quality. Carlos can probably certify this colour scheme and design. I remember this distinctly because my father's car came with this colour scheme and gleaming black paint.

Attachment 168015
Bingo! Thats fantastic rudraji, spot on.
Old 1st August 2009, 11:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 168015

Well indeed a very strong memory to draw this picture.The drawing is spot on.The color scheme is original and it would look very nice with the gleaming black paint .
Old 1st August 2009, 13:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
no, it was not original. the OHV badge came as an aftermarket fitting so some cars had the emblem and most did not.
then there is no need for ohv emblem for originality.i have 1960 model ohv original petrol engne and 1960 model matador engine fitted cars
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 168015

Rudra Sen many thanks for that fantastic drawing.Must apologise to all the guys on this thread who have been most helpful,for not posting the car pics, been busy the last few days and work on the car is just not happening.The painter and the electrician are having major ego problems, we mallus are famous for that.The painter still has to finish the dash and the electrician will not start the wiring unless thats done.You guys wish me luck before the painters union and electricians union get involved and we have good ole mallu strike and all.
We are like that simbly,
SG
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am restoring a 1961 Ambassador need help on the original colours and pattern of the upholstery for the seats and door pads.The car has been painted black, which was the original colour, am told that these cars came with red and light grey rexine seat covers.Anyone have any old brochures/photographs??
Any assiatance would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
SG
Dear Sunilgee, I have witnessed the delivery taking of a 1958 Ambassador car when I was 5 years old and still remember the colour was DEEP MAROON. and it was fantastic
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:38   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The painter still has to finish the dash and the electrician will not start the wiring unless thats done.
Painter using a booth for your car? Is it the right time to paint car otherwise? Especially in Kerala?
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Painter using a booth for your car? Is it the right time to paint car otherwise? Especially in Kerala?
Just the dashboard and the panels around the meters and switches need to be painted.The exterior painting has been completed about a month ago.The Kerala monsoons are not what they used to be, July is the wettest month normally, but this year we seem to be having a break, does rain , but short spells and it clears up.
Cheers,'
SG
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:07   #30
BANNED

Quote:
The exterior painting has been completed about a month ago.
SG
Sunil,

Congratulations on completing the restoration

Now may we have some pics D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks