Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 09:09   #2776
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Dear Praveen - welcome. You have a very good car with you, please keep it forever. Please post some engine compartment photographs. I'll send an SMS to Salim, my Chor Bazaar contact in Mumbai. Let's see if he still has something of what you want lying around with him. Horn button is very difficult to get these days! Please PM me your mobile number.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 09:55   #2777
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Praveen - welcome. You have a very good car with you, please keep it forever. Please post some engine compartment photographs. I'll send an SMS to Salim, my Chor Bazaar contact in Mumbai. Let's see if he still has something of what you want lying around with him. Horn button is very difficult to get these days! Please PM me your mobile number.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,

Thank you very much. Yes, I do intend to keep Vinty with me forever!

Today, I will be posting the restoration on Team BHP. In the meantime, here is a photograph of the engine compartment, dicky and the Jack that Kannan was very kind to gift me.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dscn2807.jpg
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dscn2810.jpg
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dscn2814.jpg

Some of the changes include:
- Dynamo replaced with an alternator (previous owner)
- Air blower assembly missing
- Windshield sprinkler water bag missing
- anything else experts like yourself can point out!

I will PM you my phone number right away. Thanks awfully for offering to connect me with Salim. I am also scouring the internet for some of these parts.

Best regards,
Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 12:14   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Praveen - thanks, I am attaching a picture of the engine compartment of my Super Select MRY3112 for your reference, particularly as regards battery cable routing and solenoid switch positioning.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-100_0688.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 12:52   #2779
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Praveen - thanks, I am attaching a picture of the engine compartment of my Super Select MRY3112 for your reference, particularly as regards battery cable routing and solenoid switch positioning.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,

Thanks very much for the photograph. This will surely be helpful when I take up the next task of cleaning up the engine compartment. Currently its not very organized and needs some modifications as well.

Kannan mentioned to me that the Select 1100 originally came with a little fan and a tube which pumped air into the cabin of the car. Getting this done will need some changes to the position of the battery. Currently (looking at the bonnet from the front, as in the photograph) the battery is on the right bottom corner. This needs to be shifted to the top LEFT corner which where it was placed by Fiat. In the space where the battery is now located, the fan assembly needs to be fitted with a tube running from there into the opening on the opposite side (opposite to the radiator).

I am not very technically sound (happy to learn forever!) so I am attaching the picture of the engine bay with some call outs, hopefully depicting what Kannan has told me. Do let me know your thoughts on this.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dscn2807.jpg

Because this work was pending, Kannan suggested that we take up cleaning up of the engine bay when we do this bit. His policy is, the car should be mechanically perfect before taking up some of the cosmetic bits.

Thank your for your guidance. Already taking a print out of the engine bay from your Super Select!

Best regards,
Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 13:11   #2780
BANNED

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram Sir,

I came across a posting by Indrojit Sircar on the Vintage car parts thread offering wheel caps for the Fiat Select. This was posted 3 days ago. I called him as soon I saw the post (a few minutes back). Unfortunately, they were already sold :(

He also pointed me to the Chor Bazaar in Mumbai. Hope your contact there has a set of wheel caps.

Best regards,
Praveen
Old 20th October 2012, 15:56   #2781
BANNED

Restoration of Vinty is now on Team BHP!!

Dear FCB,

I have finally posted the entire restoration experience with photographs on the thread:

"Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!" in the Post War forum.

Do take a look at it when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 20th October 2012, 20:20   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Dear Praveen,

You have got one beautiful rida and Mr Kannan has done a beautiful work on the car.

I have one extra. I can help you with the windshield trim for the front glass , and might be there is one in Bangalore scrap market for the rear one too (but that was 2 years ago), will let you know the details.

As for the wheel caps, yours will be in steel, that's the correct ones, I have a 59 Fiat with me. The Motor and the Air pipe that Kannan talk of is part correct, the motor was part of consist in Italian Fiats, and for the Indian version I was done away with.

There is an 1100 TV (imported) in bangalore having the said motor, she also has 2 pipes coming out of the blower box below the dash board, for the hot water supply. You can see more pictures here of the TV

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...re-fcb-17.html

If you Indrojeet's picture of water pump, it has got pipe connection for the hot water to the unit. Since India was a tropical country the fan and the heater circuit was done away with.

You just need to have the air hopper. Which is what I am going to get fabricated for my car, I have already promised to get one for the club member, probably Vipul Mathur ?? I will get one for you too.

There are couple of other things I you want to have originality, but it all depends.

If you look at Mr. Behram car's, they are 200% perfect mechanically, just a flick of switch and she roars like a beast. But then he uses best components for that.

Where as there are some guys who want a museum piece, so they still stick with the original fiat dynamo, magnetic marelli points and stuff like that, which might not make the car perform, but then that's their outlook. Just letting you know.

By the way original Self starter of the Fiat had the solenoid built into the starter motor itself.

We can certainly meet and discuss more on the Fiats.
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 21:02   #2783
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Dear Praveen,

You have got one beautiful rida and Mr Kannan has done a beautiful work on the car.
Dear Manish,

Thanks a lot for your note.

Thanks a TON for the front windshield trim! I cannot tell you how happy I was seeing that you were offering this to me. I was heartbroken when the earlier mechanic told me that they were misplaced.

I was under the opinion that my car came with Aluminium wheel caps. Now I know that I should be looking for steel ones.

Very interesting to read about the hot water supply and the air pipe! Always nice to learn such detail about these cars.

Thanks very much for offering to get me the air hopper while you get yours fabricated. Really appreciate the gesture!

From the ONE picture that I saw of the engine compartment of Mr. Behram's Super Select, I knew I was looking at a 200% car! As much as I would LOVE for VInty to be done up to such levels, my objective of was to bring Vinty to a very good condition and more importantly to maintain her this way forever. In the meantime, as and when possible, I would get some of the missing things done, mainly out of my interest in the way things were in the original cars from the 60%.

I would definitely love to meet up and discuss more on Fiats. Thanks once again!

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 21st October 2012, 06:45   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444

Dear Manish,

Thanks a lot for your

Cheers,
Praveen
Praveen, I must thank the friends in the forum, the fiat lovers especially FICCI, our Bangalore club guys. Have all contributed to my knowledge. We can sure meet. My car is still in works. Yours is so nicely done up, will help you with whatever I can with your requirement.
Old 21st October 2012, 07:54   #2785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive

Praveen, I must thank the friends in the forum, the fiat lovers especially FICCI, our Bangalore club guys. Have all contributed to my knowledge. We can sure meet. My car is still in works. Yours is so nicely done up, will help you with whatever I can with your requirement.
Dear Manish,

You're right. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum (including yourself!) and I hope to learn a lot about my own cars and about other old automobiles as well.

Where are you getting the resto work done? I would love to meet up and also look at your car. Thanks for your help with the parts.

Best,
Praveen
Old 21st October 2012, 08:51   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Dear Manish,

You're right. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum (including yourself!) and I hope to learn a lot about my own cars and about other old automobiles as well.

Where are you getting the resto work done? I would love to meet up and also look at your car. Thanks for your help with the parts.

Best,
Praveen
I being an FCBian , especially invite all fellow FCBians at 9.30 am this morning to Jayamahal Palace Hotel , Bangalore , to meet many classic car restorers and other such helpful persons , and see all the yesteryears mercs, on the occasion of today's Classic Mercedes car meet. lovely restoration CAC 444 ! happy motoring and I hope to see your car at various beautiful spots of Bangalore regularly on holidays !
Old 21st October 2012, 09:06   #2787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
I being an FCBian , especially invite all fellow FCBians at 9.30 am this morning to Jayamahal Palace Hotel , Bangalore , to meet many classic car restorers and other such helpful persons , and see all the yesteryears mercs, on the occasion of today's Classic Mercedes car meet. lovely restoration CAC 444 ! happy motoring and I hope to see your car at various beautiful spots of Bangalore regularly on holidays !
Dear Vinay,

Thanks for your note on Vinty. Yes, I do drive her around the city quite a bit especially over the weekends!

I would have loved to be at the Mercedes meet today. Unfortunately, I am held up with other commitments this morning and will have to let it pass this time. When I visited Kannan two days ago, there was an early 60's Mercedes that he was BEAUTIFULLY doing up (belonging to Mr. Suresh, if I am not wrong). Kannan's son Venkatesh did mention to me that the car would be ready in time for the Classic Mercedes meet. I am sure this event will have a lot of wonderful cars from yesteryears.

In case you do go, please try to post some photographs from the event.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:57   #2788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Currently (looking at the bonnet from the front, as in the photograph) the battery is on the right bottom corner. This needs to be shifted to the top LEFT corner which where it was placed by Fiat. Do let me know your thoughts on this. Best regards, Praveen
Dear Praveen - Mr.Kannan is correct, but please note the following. If you take the reference from the bonnet shut line, the inner fender (the body part on which the battery mounting bracket is mounted) is longer by 16 mm in the vertical axis on the LH side as compared to the RH side (as viewed from the driver's seat). This is by original design. The RH fender is horizontal whereas the LH fender tapers down. Reference dimensions on the body drawing indicate the difference clearly. I had a huge problem to release the designs for the Padmini S1 and the Padmini Diesel, both fitted with factory AC systems because I had to incorporate the battery on the RH fender (due to compressor on the LH side in S1 and alternator on the LH side in diesel) and I could not specify EF50Z (Japanese specification battery as per JIS-D-5301) required for supplying 400 Amps to crank the diesel engine's starter motor. Either I had to compromise on battery capacity and take warranty or I had to change the RH fender design to the tapered one, which was introduced in 1996 model cars onwards. The layout reference was PA-L-3717. Whew!

So, if you move the battery to the RH fender, the Amaron which you have put now which is JIS will touch the bottom of the RH side fender. I suggest you refrain from doing this change.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:37   #2789
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Praveen - Mr.Kannan is correct, but please note the following. If you take the reference from the bonnet shut line, the inner fender (the body part on which the battery mounting bracket is mounted) is longer by 16 mm in the vertical axis on the LH side as compared to the RH side (as viewed from the driver's seat). This is by original design.
So, if you move the battery to the RH fender, the Amaron which you have put now which is JIS will touch the bottom of the RH side fender. I suggest you refrain from doing this change.
Dear Behram Sir,

Thank you for the very informative and educating post! In that case, with my current Amaron battery, I will not be able to move it to the RH fender after all!

If I retain the battery in its current position, is there some way of installing an air hopper (without a fan) and a pipe leading into the dash? Manish is getting the air hopper unit fabricated.

Thank you very much once again.

Best regards,
Praveen
Old 24th October 2012, 22:02   #2790
BANNED

Happy Dussera!

Dear FCB!

Wish you all a very happy Dussera!

Cheers and wish you happy motoring!

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dscn2836.jpg

Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (3) Thanks