Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 22:31   #121
BANNED

Nice pictures Cyrus, considering you we in the train. Its amazing how some of us can spot a good car in a split second and by the time you tell someone what you have spotted, it gone.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:35   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
IMO no 190sl comes close to her.
Oh she is so achingly beautiful, absolute beauty. Kudos to the owner for maintaining it like the way he has.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:47   #123
BHPian

Quote:
his father used to take the car for drives. my friend was not allowed to touch the car as he is rough in his driveing. it was immaculte his father had people from the mercedes old timer centre come down to service it with spares. in short karlos it was like kept in a showroom. the cars garage had marble flooring. need i say more
This is the kind of stuff my dreams are made of )
Old 8th June 2009, 19:01   #124
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I had some time today and was able to go through all ten pages of this thread.

Can one then safely conclude that there are no 300 SL Gullwing cars in India today.

What I can infer form all the posts is that at some points in time two such cars were brought in by expats who have since taken them back.

It would be amazing if soem real pic of these cars could be had when they were in the country, I guess they would have been regestered for road use, thus should actually be on record someplace.

Regardsing the 300SL roadster, apart from the Gondal example are there any more around.

No we come to the 190 SL. would I be correct to assume there are around 5 to 6 such cars in India today. Can they be documented with reg numbers / colours / owners / locations for posterity.

Finally what car was the one Speedy has so definitely stated was a Gullwing with his friends family.

Wasif
Old 9th June 2009, 00:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys

I had some time today and was able to go through all ten pages of this thread.

Can one then safely conclude that there are no 300 SL Gullwing cars in India today.

What I can infer form all the posts is that at some points in time two such cars were brought in by expats who have since taken them back.

It would be amazing if some real pic of these cars could be had when they were in the country, I guess they would have been registered for road use, thus should actually be on record someplace.

Regardsing the 300SL roadster, apart from the Gondal example are there any more around.

Now we come to the 190 SL. Would I be correct to assume there are around 5 to 6 such cars in India today. Can they be documented with reg numbers / colours / owners / locations for posterity.

Finally what car was the one Speedy has so definitely stated was a Gullwing with his friends family.

Wasif
One lesson learnt here in these threads, never say never. BUt it is relatively certain that there is no Gullwing in India. Was it ever there? Well, there is no record, only recollections which are not very acurate.
There also does not seem to exist another 300 SL Roadster, but never.......
Apart from the 190 SL's already in the thread, there is a car that came from Calcutta to Pune, accident damaged but by now should be fixed.

harit
Old 9th June 2009, 12:35   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No we come to the 190 SL. would I be correct to assume there are around 5 to 6 such cars in India today. Can they be documented with reg numbers / colours / owners / locations for posterity.
So far, yes, we know of no confirmed gullwings presently in India. There have been near hits/misses in the past, but no dice.

Regarding roadsters, we know of only the Gondal car. There was one in Pakistan, since exported I believe.

Regarding 190 SLs, I think I have compiled a list earlier, but here goes again

BMF - Silver, ex Nehru ex Dossa now Cama.
MH 01 P - earlier dark blue now ivory, ex Delhi - now Katgara, Bombay
MRY (?) - Red with winter top fitted - Bhogilal (not Pranlal) - Bombay
MRY - Dark blue - Idar Royal family
Calcutta now Pune - Poonawalla (I have not seen, but heard)
Silver - spotted in workshop in Bombay, discussed earlier
Silver - MRD - Abbas Jasdanwalla - Pune/Bombay

Maybe I am forgetting some. Eitherways, this is in no way a comprehensive confirmed list, just what I have seen.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

What About the Gullwing Speedy was so sure he had seen.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:58   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What About the Gullwing Speedy was so sure he had seen.
I have not seen it, Speedy has seen it, so hopefully he can tell us more.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

i guess that question has already been answered in post 82 on page 6. So lets leave it at that. Thank you.

Last edited by speedy : 9th June 2009 at 14:23.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

I very clearly recall seeing a silver 300sl roadster outside midtown motors, Mr. jasdanwala sitting in it in the driveaway as I ogled/walked around the car. This was between 1985 & 87 and no it was not the 190sl but 300sl. Can anyone verify with with Mr. Jasdanwala?
Old 9th June 2009, 20:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I very clearly recall seeing a silver 300sl roadster outside midtown motors, Mr. jasdanwala sitting in it in the driveaway as I ogled/walked around the car. This was between 1985 & 87 and no it was not the 190sl but 300sl. Can anyone verify with with Mr. Jasdanwala?
Post 153 below mentions the Jasdanwala car as a 190 SL
Old 9th June 2009, 20:21   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Calcutta now Pune - Poonawalla (I have not seen, but heard)
I have seen this about two yrs ago very closely its silver
Old 10th June 2009, 01:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i guess that question has already been answered in post 82 on page 6. So lets leave it at that. Thank you.
Could you kindly state your answer clearly? So far, there is only the Gondal roadster, no other 300SL roadster or Gullwing known in India. Now if someone knows better, we require some plausible evidence. That I think is fair to ask of anyone, considering the pranks which have already been attempted on this thread.

Cannonball, Midtown has a 190SL, there was no other 300SL Roadster. With time memory does play tricks, I would have sworn that the Poonawalla 600 was a Landaulette.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Could you kindly state your answer clearly? So far, there is only the Gondal roadster, no other 300SL roadster or Gullwing known in India. Now if someone knows better, we require some plausible evidence. That I think is fair to ask of anyone, considering the pranks which have already been attempted on this thread.
Harit uncle i do agree with you that today there is only Gondals 300sl roadster in India. The gullwings have been exported and none exist here, hence since i do not have any photographic evidance of its existance in Bombay in the early years, i would not like to comment further and waste anyones time and energy. My father has seen one of them and that is enough for me. I think this is fair and hope you do too.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:44   #135
Senior - BHPian

I suppose, but she did have larger wheels than the 190sl and the front headlights were standing long ones like the 300sl and others such models also taillights were horizontal not vertical like 190sl. My eyes rarely fool me when it comes to cars, as regards to women may be a different thing altogether what with plastic surgery and all but cars hm. I would still ask Mr. Jasdanwala if I ever met him, anyone else know him here. Maybe he was driving one of the so called cars that has been exported, he did have a finger in most exotics that were in India at that point! Speedy, harit I am sure you guys know him can you ask him?

Last edited by canonball : 10th June 2009 at 11:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks