Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 12:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Speedy, I don't doubt you at all. Just wanted to confirm if the 300 SL you saw, still in the country or was it exported as a tractor as Kasli claims?
i would not like to doubt kasli's claim and would go with it. kasli folows cars very closely that car is exported.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:16   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i would not like to doubt kasli's claim and would go with it. kasli folows cars very closely that car is exported.
So there were two?!
Old 16th October 2007, 17:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So there were two?!
Now this is getting interesting, come on speedy some hints from your end will clear this doubt that there were two..
Old 16th October 2007, 20:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

there was one sl300 gullwing that is on record.
Old 16th October 2007, 20:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Now that the car's gone, why hide the details?
Old 18th October 2007, 01:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

give me some time and will give everyone the chassis number for their records for this car . I know two - three cars came with expats in the 70's and only one was imported directly. the cars with the expats went back as they came but this car was here and exported as a tractor. i have been looking for it all my life and then found out the truth.
Old 11th August 2008, 01:22   #52
BHPian

On friday 8th August i saw the 300 Sl gullwing at peddar road. it was red and had a slightly rusted ann our bit of body around 1 foot by 1 foor on the left hand side rear and it was not in good condition at all. it was being driven by an old man and i tried to get the full registration but it was a MH number... and i know it was for sure that it as the Sl300 gullwing... i am 101% sure.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
i keep hearing rumors of a gullwing in north india. there was at least one in delhi till the late fifties/early sixties,as my father distinctly remembers iseeing t. as he says, its not a car you can ever forget in your life. such is its visual impact
Awini, Nawab Saifullah Khan of Jhal Magsi (father of present Governor Baluchistan Zulfiqar Magsi) had a 300 SL gullwing. The car was based in his Lahore residence since arrival in 1955 and he was a REGULAR visitor to New Delhi by road driving the gullwing to Delhi for the races and then on to Simla to visit old family friends.

Factory records confirm that no gullwing came to India, but the Magsi car is on record as having been shipped to Karachi.

Chassis was 5500113, year 1955. It was fitted with Rudge wheels. The car was sadly taken out of Pakistan in the 80's.
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2008, 11:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideman View Post
On friday 8th August i saw the 300 Sl gullwing at peddar road. it was red and had a slightly rusted ann our bit of body around 1 foot by 1 foor on the left hand side rear and it was not in good condition at all. it was being driven by an old man and i tried to get the full registration but it was a MH number... and i know it was for sure that it as the Sl300 gullwing... i am 101% sure.
That my friend is a 190 sl that you saw. the car is from Altamount road and stands in the basement of my friends building. seen it from years when it was originally blue in colour and then repainted to red.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:41   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy is right, what you saw was indeed a 190SL. Perhaps is was fitted with a winter top, which might have thrown you off. Im glad to know it is back on the road.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this car in Bandra once. It was parket outside Motimahal.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy is right, what you saw was indeed a 190SL. Perhaps is was fitted with a winter top, which might have thrown you off. Im glad to know it is back on the road.
yes it does have a winter top Karl and the car has been on the road for the past three years now. This could have led to believe it is a 300sl gullwing. the car still not in the best of conditions but if you compare her to before being worked on it is miles ahead. the owners also had some other wonderful cars that they sold now (Healey, Rolls Royce and Cadillac).

Last edited by speedy : 11th August 2008 at 12:05.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
That my friend is a 190 sl that you saw. the car is from Altamount road and stands in the basement of my friends building. seen it from years when it was originally blue in colour and then repainted to red.

Hey,
It was not the SL190. i know the SL190 does not have the side scoops and slates but this did... now i dont knwo who would moddifly their Sl190 to look like that... leave alone an old man. so i know it was the Sl300. My friend(who was with me at the time) says it is not parked at peddar road(the ne on peddar road is owned by a parsi gentleman) but only comes to Breach Candy to fill 97 Octane fuel and that the car is actually parked at Marine Lines. I am doing my best to find the car. When i do ill do my best to get pictures and other information.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
It was not the SL190. i know the SL190 does not have the side scoops and slates but this did... now i dont knwo who would moddifly their Sl190 to look like that... leave alone an old man. so i know it was the Sl300.
Im still not convinced. Perhaps the scoops were added by the owner. Did you see the gulling doors? It all boils down to that.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im still not convinced. Perhaps the scoops were added by the owner. Did you see the gulling doors? It all boils down to that.
I will agree with Karl here. All ive heard of a SL300 Gullwing in INdia are Rumours.
I dont even know of a single person whos seen it, whose sighting I can vouch for and if the car was a convertible and red then theres only one roadster in India, its in Gujarat.
I am sure you saw something else, maybe a 190SL which would look like a 300SL to many.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks