Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:54   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Would like to believe this is the only authentic,original, one of its kind Beach Buggy in the country.
Shall like to correct I know of at least six authentic ones and a few hand ful replicas

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:02   #1037
BANNED

Re: Classic Volkswagens in India

Quote:
Would like to believe this is the only authentic,original, one of its kind Beach Buggy in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Long time i haven't seen it ... is it still around ?? its the same Cedric,s car .. still with him ??

Prashanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Is this an original Meyers Manx?
By any chance, is this an ex-Goa car? I remember seeing a similar looking buggy in 2006 or 07 (?). Was very frequently seen at the Club Cabana premises.
Cedric's buggy, I believe is still owned by him, but in long-term parking at a garage in Lingrajpuram. Is his a Manx? Or a custom build?
Cedric's is an original VW Beetle, with the custom build fibre body. Not the original, Agree with thebulletboy, it is supposed to be the Manx kit.

Quote:
With due respects to the owner, this is not an original Beach Buggy. The Single port engine itself is a BIG give away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Long time i haven't seen it ... is it still around ?? its the same Cedric,s car .. still with him ??

Prashanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Shall like to correct I know of at least six authentic ones and a few hand ful replicas

Cheers

I can Blatantly say, there might not be ONE original Beach Buggy in the country, I have seen 3 of them existing in Mumbai, 1 in Bangalore, 4 in Delhi, 2 in Chennai and this one from Hyderabad.

Actually the Beach buggys came only after 1970's and were never built by Volkswagen going by the records.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 3rd January 2013 at 20:06.
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:31   #1038
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
I stand corrected Kasli, I am not aware of the others. But i do know it for a fact that this is not local hand sculpted. If one could see the other stable mates parked along where in he has imported most of his other classics directly from UK starting from early 70's, one could understand the mans passion. This was not imported directly by him but by a very well known family from whom he bought this about 18 years ago. The antecedents of this car can never be doubted.Maybe Ajmat can throw more light on this.
. The car is registered TMC and i will not want to shed more light purely to safeguard the owner, who at 70 plus has never wanted any intrusion into his modest collection. He has never attended any rallies or showcased his cars except for two occasions when his Model A Ford & his TR3 were driven for a local club rally by a friend, who borrowed the cars.
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:50   #1039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.Maybe Ajmat can throw more light on this.
My Bad

This is a different car

The one i had a go with was an RHD one, it was a Bangalore reg with 1970's Beetle rear lights. There was no back seat and the body was locally fabricated. It had a more a elaborate exhaust system.

I do recollect that it went to Calicut. It was sitting in my neighbours house waiting to be driven down.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd January 2013 at 22:55.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:07   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Domi, thanks for sharing. It is a unique vehicle in its own right, and must have given the owner much pleasure.

My thoughts - what exactly constitutes an "original" beach buggy? There were dozens of small time backyard builders that made their own versions on old Beetles many had lying around. I suppose the most well known, successful and hence true to form and today collectible would be the Manx Myers.

Coming to this TMC car, it did attend an event in Hyderabad, maybe 2005. Now coincidentally I also remember many years back seeing an old hindi film featuring an orange buggy similar to this (but maybe older 5 lug wheels), with the same (3 digit?) registration number, but Mumbai regstered MRY (subject to correction). Does anyone remember that movie? I don't.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 11:17   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My thoughts - what exactly constitutes an "original" beach buggy?
I agree with Karl. Buggies are meant to be fun to build and drive.
Judging a buggy on originality is like penalising a hot rod in a competition for not being original.
It's a different class and the same rules cannot apply.

There were many companies offering DIY kits back in the day and the Manx was the first and by far the most popular; so to the right eyes, a Manx would be rather desirable/valuable.

The car in question appears to have a shortened platform. This along with the beefy tyres it has on, must greatly enhance the off-road handling of the car. Most Indian builds I have seen seem to miss this crucial step.
Old 6th January 2013, 15:59   #1042
BANNED

Another Beetle arrives from Kerala for Restoration, got it out of the truck, did a quick tuning, add fuel, connect the battery and off its driven straight to the workshop for a quick restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-imag_1927.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-imag_1929.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-imag_1932.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 19:09   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Another Beetle arrives from Kerala for Restoration, got it out of the truck, did a quick tuning, add fuel, connect the battery and off its driven straight to the workshop for a quick restoration.
This seems to be the same beetle which was in Kollam and advertised for sale here.
http://kollam.olx.in/volkswagen-supe...-iid-460022953
The only difference being that then it did not have any registration number on it and now it has a mideighties registration number on it!!!

Last edited by ajay99 : 6th January 2013 at 19:11.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:15   #1044
Distinguished - BHPian

A regular sight close to my house - of late seen without bumpers, looking rather cool

Classic Volkswagens in India-picture-127.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 10:07   #1045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A regular sight close to my house - of late seen without bumpers, looking rather cool

Attachment 1038632
That is Manu Monga's Bug

Was recently restored, Bumpers off only because his brand new bumpers have started rusting, may have gone for a re-chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-523372_10151212441539188_1473979673_n.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-563117_10151212441214188_1391236835_n.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-185153_10151212442429188_704597967_n.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:30   #1046
Senior - BHPian

A beautiful beetle seen at B'lore Club
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-picture-871.jpg  

manishasrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 20:43   #1047
Senior - BHPian

VW Sparkafer

Just came across this variant/edition of beetles called ""Sparkafer"".This was available in US also. So not to be confused with the VW1200 Euro versions.
Here are the features.
Factory Sparkafer: 1200cc base model
mainly 67's but a few 68's.
Trim on the side but no trim on the bonnet.
NO vents on the engine lid
Single horn grill on the LHS (painted grey)
Indicators on top of the wings (painted grey)
Quarter windows (painted grey)
Only a roof section for the headlining (not on pillars etc) Plain interior.
No trim on dash.
No "chrome" in the window rubbers.
No chrome on the running boards.
Basic steering wheel No chrome behind the inner door handles either, grey plastic..68's had a fuel guage.
5 stud on 67's
4 stud on 68's
There seems to be another edition called "' JEANS'' ,not sure whether it is official factory version
Old 16th February 2013, 17:24   #1048
Senior - BHPian

A well restored pre67 Beetle from Bangalore now located in Kerala.
This beetle along with another yellow 1969 beetle and a 1972 Purple beetle all are located more or less in the same taluk
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-bas0016.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-bas0015.jpg  

Old 9th March 2013, 11:26   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Warning:

the famous and much loved jalopy shop in Bangalore has I think a change in management as they are less the enthusiasts that they were at one time and more the business men ! So everyone tread with caution.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2013, 15:05   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
the famous and much loved jalopy shop in Bangalore has I think a change in management as they are less the enthusiasts that they were at one time and more the business men !
It's rather amusing to think that a business can be run by anyone other than a business man! Disregarding the businessman's personal interest in the chosen field of business, the primary aim of any business enterprise is to remain profitable.

With regard to the restructuring within Jalopy Shop, it's more of an expansion, than a change in management. It just became too difficult to run it as a one man show. So there are more people on board now, who will primarily be handling finances and shipping (for now).

Along with this restructuring, comes a change in company policies on payment and shipping, the most significant of which are discontinuation of all existing credit lines, no more consolidated billing at the end of each quarter to regular customers and insisting on full payment before processing any order (no matter how insignificant the total).

While I understand that these new terms might prove to be inconvenient for a few (especially regulars who have gotten used to being treated as friends rather than customers), it is my earnest hope that most customers would view it as a positive move that would help the business at least sustain itself, if not grow further.
thebulletboy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks