Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 04:17   #601
Senior - BHPian

Pic of a Beetle. Can the gurus identify what year is it ? Not sure if it has been posted on this thread already.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-60408.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-60411.jpg  

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 11th June 2010 at 04:21.
Old 11th June 2010, 08:51   #602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Pic of a Beetle. Can the gurus identify what year is it ? Not sure if it has been posted on this thread already.
60's car, mostly a 66, looking the the decklid and the hinge mounted mirror mount, and hell lot of modifications

Can be a good project car.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th June 2010 at 08:52.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:54   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
60's car, mostly a 66, looking the the decklid and the hinge mounted mirror mount, and hell lot of modifications
You are referring to the outside door mounted mirror? All cars from day one had the mirror mounted on the hinge, my 56 included. Just got my mirror fitted too

Car is probably a 64-66 though, going by the combination of the size of the front windscreen and earlier style fenders/lights.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:56   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
You are referring to the outside door mounted mirror? All cars from day one had the mirror mounted on the hinge, my 56 included. Just got my mirror fitted too

Car is probably a 64-66 though, going by the combination of the size of the front windscreen and earlier style fenders/lights.
This is a 65 bug for sure. Similar one in Mumbai with this style of the engine lid. Karlos you are absolutely right about the door mounted mirrors. They all were same.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:39   #605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

I was referring to the combination, of the decklid and the door hinge. Only after 1968, the ORVM mounting changed.

Those fenders holding Oval lens continued upto 1968.

So in all case, its a 1966. But looking at the highback seats, some Bugs during 1965 came with them, mostly the handomatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
This is a 65 bug for sure. Similar one in Mumbai with this style of the engine lid. Karlos you are absolutely right about the door mounted mirrors. They all were same.
It is for sure a 1966, 1965 had a small nose like liscence plate light holder.

But since its not an original car, i would not like to comment further.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th June 2010 at 11:47.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:45   #606
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to the combination, of the decklid and the door hinge. Only after 1968, the ORVM mounting changed.

Those fenders holding Oval lens continued upto 1968.

So in all case, its a 1966. But looking at the highback seats, some Bugs during 1965 came with them, mostly the handomatics.

It is for sure a 1966, 1965 had a small nose like liscence plate light holder.
I think you are referring to the "Pope's nose"....what makes you feel that the license plate light holder in the picture is an OE?
Old 11th June 2010, 13:44   #607
BHPian

The engine lid doesnt look like from 1966 model, atleast my car doesnt have this shaped lid.

The front indicators dont look the same as of the 1966 model. Tail lamp looks to be 1966 or a 67,

It is a mix and match of different model i feel,

Can we source some parts from this car, the sun visor? Are they of genuine VW Beetle type?
Old 11th June 2010, 13:54   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post

Can we source some parts from this car, the sun visor? Are they of genuine VW Beetle type?
This car belongs to a collector so don't think its appropriate to even suggest something like this.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:59   #609
Senior - BHPian

this car seems to be a mix and match of many models
The engine lid appears to me(can be wrong) as if it is lifted from some other car(not bug) because I doubt if any bug engine lid came this number of air slants extending from top to bottom.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:18   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this car seems to be a mix and match of many models
The engine lid appears to me(can be wrong) as if it is lifted from some other car(not bug) because I doubt if any bug engine lid came this number of air slants extending from top to bottom.
It is very similar to that of Renault 4CV. There is a similar bug in Mumbai with exactly the same engine lid so there is a distinct possible VW came with this style for a very short period and incidentally that is a 65 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-renault_4cv.jpg  

Old 11th June 2010, 18:33   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is very similar to that of Renault 4CV. There is a similar bug in Mumbai with exactly the same engine lid so there is a distinct possible VW came with this style for a very short period and incidentally that is a 65 model.
Very very unlikely , because the horizontal air slants in the engine lid was added to increase the air flow(cooling) and this was introduced only in the 70's (exact year have to refer)

just now noticed the hinges. and the lower portion more closely especially where the notch for the numberplate comes. I am pretty confident that it is not a VW beetle engine lid ,(if someone else can contradict this with substantive facts, humbly accept it)

Quote:

At best it can be a good PARTS CAR.
if taken as a ""project "", it is going to be a project without economic "" prudence''

please see the 2 patterns of air slants on engine lid which came on bug
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-3262731.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 2719431.bmp (506.3 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by v12 : 12th June 2010 at 19:50.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:02   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Those kind of louvers never came on the Beetles ever. Its an aftermarket job.

Quote:
if taken as a ""project "", it is going to be a project without economic "" prudence''

Ajay, when i purchased my Bug, it was 100 times worse than the car featured above.

I have seen worst cars than the above Bug and i've put things back together within any common mans budget they are on road today, running happily.

For some it may look like a parts car, but just wait for couple of months, that Bug will be running on roads.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th June 2010 at 21:04.
Old 12th June 2010, 16:36   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those kind of louvers never came on the Beetles ever. Its an aftermarket job.

Ajay, when i purchased my Bug, it was 100 times worse than the car featured above.

I have seen worst cars than the above Bug and i've put things back together within any common mans budget they are on road today, running happily.

For some it may look like a parts car, but just wait for couple of months, that Bug will be running on roads.
IMHO the restoration cost of a bug using genuine VW NOS spares(GERMAN) and a high quality tinkering and painting work for a bug in that condition is likely to cost in the range of 2-3 lakhs,if not more.
Add to that the cost of documentation/tax arrears plus cost price of the car will end up in a budget of 4lakh plus(which I personally dont think is a common mans budget) .Also I know of 3 running condition beetles(not concourse but above average) which have been sold in the range of 2.5-3.3 lakhs. so that is why I mentioned it is not economically prudent.

But if one is considering a restoration using REPRO/used parts from gujri with the sole motive of bringing out a "" good saleable classic car"" and foist a RCbook from some other scrapped car - like a few people are doing currently, then the car shown is an apt ""project""

Last edited by ajay99 : 12th June 2010 at 16:48.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:19   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would request you to read the post by me above in this page where i have requested someone not to make such comments on it. I is not very positive and becomming on your part to make such comments on other peoples cars. If they want to use it as a parts car or restore it its THEIRS to do it. We may not agree but its not healthy for you to say this about other people's cars.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:38   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
the car was a donar vehicle
helped in restoring 3-4 other beetles

Last edited by manikjeet : 12th June 2010 at 17:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks