Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 12:57   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
- are you sure it's a 1972, and not older?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well accoruing to the blue book the pink one is a 72 model but even i think the car is a 60's model car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
It can only be a 68-72 car. I believe the 3 fresh air vents on the dash indicate that it is a 71-72. So, blue-book is probably right. Byas
Byas, I think that this is most likely a 1969 model, and maybe, just maybe an early 1970. This assumption is also based on it being manufactured in one of the factories that followed the regular updates of the German-made VW model years. Now, why do I say it's a 1969/or maybe a 1970 is because:

a) Unlikely that she's a 1970 because the engine lid air vents are not there, which appeared in 1970. So if there's a remote possibility of this being a 1970 model then maybe this is one of the last ones without the vents in 1970.
b) These markings on the speedometer came in 1969. 1969 is also when the fuel tank filler release under the dash came about. The hood release is not visible, so must be inside the glove box, which too happened only from 1969. Can't see the warm air outlets on the running boards, as they must be further back, a 1969 model happening again.
c) The three fresh air vents on the dash that you mention came about in 1968 with the fresh air ventilation system. Also this body style came up in 1968. But other indicators mentioned above reduce the possibility of it being a 1968. And the three vents are no reason for it being a 71-72, because it came out in '68 (I could be slightly wrong here, if the fresh air system only had two vents in '68).
d)Anyway, in 1972 the fresh air ventilation system was upgraded to a Flow-through ventilation system and that's how the exhaust ports behind the rear side windows came about. Of course, this rule didn't apply to the '72 onwards 1200s, which didn't have the port but had only the indentation in the sheet metal in that place (and the thin roundish bumpers, and the horn grilles in the front, and the small tail lights, and, and... till about 74-75).

So, all said I feel that this is most like a 1969 model. But then, when I'd seen my first Mexican Beetle of 1974 vintage all the theories that I'd learnt till then had gone flying out of the window. But still, I'll stick to this one being a '69 - it's a nice number too!

Cheers,

Prabal
Old 27th July 2009, 14:25   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Byas, I think that this is most likely a 1969 model, and maybe, just maybe an early 1970. This assumption is also based on it being manufactured in one of the factories that followed the regular updates of the German-made VW model years. Now, why do I say it's a 1969/or maybe a 1970 is because:

a) Unlikely that she's a 1970 because the engine lid air vents are not there, which appeared in 1970. So if there's a remote possibility of this being a 1970 model then maybe this is one of the last ones without the vents in 1970.
b) These markings on the speedometer came in 1969. 1969 is also when the fuel tank filler release under the dash came about. The hood release is not visible, so must be inside the glove box, which too happened only from 1969. Can't see the warm air outlets on the running boards, as they must be further back, a 1969 model happening again.
c) The three fresh air vents on the dash that you mention came about in 1968 with the fresh air ventilation system. Also this body style came up in 1968. But other indicators mentioned above reduce the possibility of it being a 1968. And the three vents are no reason for it being a 71-72, because it came out in '68 (I could be slightly wrong here, if the fresh air system only had two vents in '68).
d)Anyway, in 1972 the fresh air ventilation system was upgraded to a Flow-through ventilation system and that's how the exhaust ports behind the rear side windows came about. Of course, this rule didn't apply to the '72 onwards 1200s, which didn't have the port but had only the indentation in the sheet metal in that place (and the thin roundish bumpers, and the horn grilles in the front, and the small tail lights, and, and... till about 74-75).

So, all said I feel that this is most like a 1969 model. But then, when I'd seen my first Mexican Beetle of 1974 vintage all the theories that I'd learnt till then had gone flying out of the window. But still, I'll stick to this one being a '69 - it's a nice number too!

Cheers,

Prabal
Just see the Chassis no and all doubts on the Model no will be put to rest. If the Chassis no starts with 119 it indeed would be a 69 model.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:48   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Just see the Chassis no and all doubts on the Model no will be put to rest. If the Chassis no starts with 119 it indeed would be a 69 model.
1969 chassis numbers came in two series - starting with either 119 or 149.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:58   #274
BHPian

Quote:
1969 chassis numbers came in two series - starting with either 119 or 149.
It started with 119 from Jan'69 to Jul'69 and 110 from Aug'69 onwards (upto July 70 Type 1 models)
Old 27th July 2009, 16:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
It started with 119 from Jan'69 to Jul'69 and 110 from Aug'69 onwards (upto July 70 Type 1 models)
I made a mistake. 67Bug, you're right - 149 was probably for the Karmann Ghia of '69. So Beetles (Type 1) came only with 119 series chassis number in '69. However, I'd think the 11 0 number would only be applicable for Bugs made in 1970.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:21   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

A useful document on VIN numbers can be found here

TheSamba.com :: Beetle VIN numbers

Keep in mind there was production the world over, so this may not necessarilly be 100% complete for all markets.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:15   #277
BHPian

Ok, going by Samba I'll accept that chassis numbers for the new year's production started from August of the previous year and the current year's ended in July of the year. According to the information given in my Clymer's print publication that's not so, they say the chassis number denotes the year of production and not just the model year number. But I'll go with Samba here and accept a chassis number starting with 11 0 starting in August '69.

But, there are some other discrepancies between Clymer and Samba that have me intrigued (for the moment let's only consider these two sources of information please, or my ageing bheja will be completely fried!) - both have similar numbers for the last produced chassis in each series, which would be the year in the case of Clymer and month of July in the case of Samba. But, while they concur for the 119 series ending (which is end of year of 69 production for Clymer and end of July '69 production for Samba) where both say 119 1 093 704 was the last produced chassis, for 110 ending series (production year of '70 and month of July '70 again between the two) Clymer says 11 0 3096945 while Samba says 110 3 200 000 was the last chassis number. I've written the numbers in the exact pattern as they appear on both publications (print and web, respectively) Is samba more accurate? Just asking, honestly (no hidden emotions in there), if Samba can be taken as a more definitive souce? Or, should someone embark on a mammoth exercise of accumulating a plant-wise data? Unless of course that's already been done by somebody.

I have a feeling the Fuehrer is still

Anyway, to come back to the pink 1300 with Indrojit, going by Clymer's model descriptions and Samba's chassis number designation system, she would be between August '68 and July '69!
Old 27th July 2009, 20:36   #278
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prabal abd 67 Bug,
One more thing i would like to point out is that the pink car does not have the rear vents behind the rear fixed glass.I think that would give us an idea which year the car belongs to.The green car has vents at the back though as other cars.Looking forward to hear from you both
Old 27th July 2009, 21:14   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi Prabal abd 67 Bug,
One more thing i would like to point out is that the pink car does not have the rear vents behind the rear fixed glass.I think that would give us an idea which year the car belongs to.The green car has vents at the back though as other cars.Looking forward to hear from you both
Hello Indrojit, that's been noticed already, which is why the following was written (although I forgot to write that it's not there on the pink car - just assumed that everybody would notice that anyway!

Quote:
Old 27th July 2009, 21:24   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Of course yes sir,
where on hennur road? I live close by but never got to see it. maybe coz I'm always busy wrestling my way out of the traffic there.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:44   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Prabal

Well the horn grills were accesories but what i think is the case is that this particular car might have been imported and been re registered so there could be a problem with the motor vehicles at that point.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:32   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Moralfibre came across another view of the same car.

Classic Volkswagens in India-goa2.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: Our fisrt car...

And some more...

TRAVEL - Volkswagen Beetle (Panjim, Goa) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Mark! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Vintage Beauty! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Vintage Beauty! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Vintage Eyes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: auch hier gibts käfis

the little red car! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th July 2009 at 14:34.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:29   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend I spotted a neat early 70s (?) Beetle pass by me in Koregaon Park, Pune. Appeared to be dark green or blue, couldn't tell at night. Neat original car, MRJ 4152. Is it known to anyone?
Old 28th July 2009, 16:31   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Last weekend I spotted a neat early 70s (?) Beetle pass by me in Koregaon Park, Pune. Appeared to be dark green or blue, couldn't tell at night. Neat original car, MRJ 4152. Is it known to anyone?
Co-incidence, I saw the same car parked in the lane adjoining Naturals (?) in Koregaon Park on the same day. I saw it on Sunday, when did you?
Old 28th July 2009, 16:46   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Co-incidence, I saw the same car parked in the lane adjoining Naturals (?) in Koregaon Park on the same day. I saw it on Sunday, when did you?
Quite a coincidence indeed, since we were sitting in the same car while I saw it

Most Viewed