Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 09:02   #346
BHPian

Hi!

The scooter is looking Wow!! Especially the paint job is great!! The petrol and choke nobs are looking so nice with the chrome platting. I remember on my Vijay super they were black, maybe plastic material.

I am completely glued to your post and hoping to see this one on its toe pretty soon!!

All the best!
Old 4th February 2010, 09:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
The scooter is looking Wow!! Especially the paint job is great!! The petrol and choke nobs are looking so nice with the chrome platting. I remember on my Vijay super they were black, maybe plastic material.
Thanks for your kind words!

The knobs are not chrome plated at all though, just buffed-up aluminium.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:40   #348
BHPian

Hi guys,
Has anyone got a CDi version of the Lambretta/Vijai? Would anyone be able to post me a picture of the stator and the inner side of the magneto specific for CDI version. I am looking for a CDI conversion on my Vijai. Such pics would be useful for my upgrade.
-Ilango
Old 8th February 2010, 20:38   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi guys,
Has anyone got a CDi version of the Lambretta/Vijai? Would anyone be able to post me a picture of the stator and the inner side of the magneto specific for CDI version. I am looking for a CDI conversion on my Vijai. Such pics would be useful for my upgrade.
-Ilango
If you look on my thread about restoring a Vijay, you should see some photos of such
Old 8th February 2010, 21:00   #350
Senior - BHPian

OK, this time a major update with lots of positive news! The scoot is being put together and nearing completion now. Over the last weekend I got the seat covers stitched, they are a bit "high" for now but I've seen a lot of Indian Lambrettas having their seats done this way. He's done it what I understand was the original way with a belt below the seat fastening the cover in place.

The stepney holder too has been sorted out although unfortunately one wheel retaining bolt was loose and fell off!

Anyways, today the electricals have been connected and all lights and horn working now. 'had a slight trouble with the new Headlamp dual bulb holder I had, the light wasn't turnin on and even the horn wasn't sounding properly.

So I let the guy use the old holder itself, works better although it has one wire clamp missing (connects the headlight dim/dip), to which a temporary adjustment was made.

The speedo cable also was connected and after an initial loose connection to the speedo that was set right, it finally works!

The speedo bulb too was fitted and it works too. The headlight needs to be fitted next.

I'll be a little held up in the early half of tomorrow, so should be free by afternoon. All things going well, should have the scooter completed and ready to be taken for an adjustment to the silencer, then finally the polishing and number-painting, after which the minor cosmetics (badges etc.) will be fitted.
The last 2 pics. show the 2-piece clamp for fixing the RVM on the handlebar. I had the bottom part galvanised (then clear-coated), as it is liable to get more rusted with water accumulating down on it.
'will be painting the inside of the top part with anti-rust paint too.
The RVM is to be fitted last though.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4960.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4961.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4974.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4976.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4977.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4980.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4981.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4985.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4987.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4988.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4989.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4990.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4994.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4995.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 8th February 2010 at 21:03.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:13   #351
BHPian

Great progress Shyam, the finished scooter looks cool will all the vintage glamour.
1. You can loosen the spring a bit, to adjust the height. Still if it doesnt work, place 2 rubber dampers inside the seat in place of 1 provided the bolt length permits.
2. Wheel retaining studs can be welded with new ones, no worries though you will have to give a paint touch up. In mine, 2 of the studs were worn out and havent found time to fix them in spite of haveing purchased the studs.
3. Probably the ground pins is not touching the bulb side wall. Please check. As well slightly emary the ends of the copper strips where it comes in contact with the bulb.
4. By any chance are you using a 12V bulb in place of 6V bulb. Headlamp appears a bit dim or is it so only in the photograph. Rakesh's Lamby came with a 6V system.
5. Is the right side brake lamp different from the other two inside the assembly.
6. Is the engine kill switch oriented lengthwise vertically or horizontally?
Happy to see that all niggles have been settled and your scooter running.
Regards,
Ilango
Old 10th February 2010, 12:02   #352
BHPian

Hi Stanher!

I am reaaaallly SORRY for not having sent you the stuff - was busy travelling and have come in to office today and will send out your stuff TODAY.

I am really happy with the progress you have made on the scoot.

Why is it that the Rear Floor Board strips are broken - your mech seems to have overtightened them. Let me know if you need grey strips to match the front rubber strips.

Also if there is anything else you need now to finish the machine feel free to let me know so that we can atleast have your machine sorted out as soon as possible.

Send you a SMS on the LD as well - please revert asap.

Cheers!

SV
Old 10th February 2010, 18:41   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Great progress Shyam, the finished scooter looks cool will all the vintage glamour.
1. You can loosen the spring a bit, to adjust the height. Still if it doesnt work, place 2 rubber dampers inside the seat in place of 1 provided the bolt length permits.
4. By any chance are you using a 12V bulb in place of 6V bulb. Headlamp appears a bit dim or is it so only in the photograph. Rakesh's Lamby came with a 6V system.
5. Is the right side brake lamp different from the other two inside the assembly.
6. Is the engine kill switch oriented lengthwise vertically or horizontally?
Thanks, ilango!

Sure, will try loosening the spring. But let me first check it out by riding the scooter myself, which I really cant wait to do now! Hehe!
'not sure about the bulb but I guess it is a 6V only, since my scoot runs on a 6V system.

'not sure about the difference in the lamps/bulbs. Maybe it was because of the photo.

Engine kill-switch I think is mounted vertically, going by where the wire connection was (at the top) Would it make any difference btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
I am reaaaallly SORRY for not having sent you the stuff - was busy travelling and have come in to office today and will send out your stuff TODAY.

I am really happy with the progress you have made on the scoot.

Why is it that the Rear Floor Board strips are broken - your mech seems to have overtightened them. Let me know if you need grey strips to match the front rubber strips.
No issues Saurabh! I thought so in fact.

'not surprised about the floor board strip breaking - they are after all "Made in India!"
I would surely like grey strips, but mine (front and back) are all black only, as can be seen (also sent from you)
I infact intend to replace all the strips with grey imported ones at a later stage. 'just want the scoot on the road for now.

Quote:
Also if there is anything else you need now to finish the machine feel free to let me know so that we can atleast have your machine sorted out as soon as possible.
As of now, whatever you've got for me so far would do, thanks. And i must say you were a BIG help all the way in the restoration of this machine!

Reg. SMS, my inbox is full now so not able to receive any more new messages as of now. So do pm me if anything important.

Anyways, more updates today!! The body panels are all fitted, except for the right rear floorboard, because the silencer needs to be changed, with the new muffler and tail-pipe to be fitted at the denter's tomorrow, hence he hasn't fitted the floorboard as yet.

Headlight also in place. And man does it look fab, I just changed the glass to the one marked "Innocenti" and used the old reflector itself. But the whole thing looks brand new!!

Also fitted is the rear frame grille, stepney wheel and cover. Only things left to complete it are the badges, I will fit them on only after the scooter is polished.

But I must say, it sure is a refreshing change from how the scoot looked all this while (read 1.5 years!!) How I have been waiting for this time! And I'll be the happiest when it's finally done!

The pics. speak more, so here they are!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4996.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4998.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_4999.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5000.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5001.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5002.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5005.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5006.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 10th February 2010 at 18:43.
Old 11th February 2010, 22:31   #354
Senior - BHPian

Update again: Well, nothing much today I'm afraid! Other than the fact that for the first time after restoration I saw the scooter complete running on the road today!

I do wish it were me riding it, which I will soon!

Anyways, on taking it to the denter for fixing the new silencer, we were told by the guy that he is now busy and to come only on Monday!

Then further on taking it to the painter hoping for atleast the polishing and number painting to be done, was told that they are busy with a marriage in their family until the 16th and will resume work only from the 18th onwards!!

So the scoot is back at the mech's place until then! In a way it is good as I could atleast get to see some niggling issues in it with the running in.
To speak of one, the mech tells me that the clutch/gearchange feels too tight and hard on the wrist, and though I have not driven the scoot as yet, I would agree with him because I did feel it so on depressing the clutch lever.

Anyone who could explain why it is so? I dont think it is tightness in the cable, loosening it would cause play then. I tried lubricating the gearchange cable near the casing but to no avail. Any other likely reason to be pin-pointed? I hope I dont have to open up the gearbox casing to check!!
Old 16th February 2010, 18:42   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

To speak of one, the mech tells me that the clutch/gearchange feels too tight and hard on the wrist, and though I have not driven the scoot as yet, I would agree with him because I did feel it so on depressing the clutch lever.

Anyone who could explain why it is so? I dont think it is tightness in the cable, loosening it would cause play then. I tried lubricating the gearchange cable near the casing but to no avail. Any other likely reason to be pin-pointed? I hope I dont have to open up the gearbox casing to check!!
Hi Stanher,

This is something I have observed as normal on new rebuilt engines. The Clutch plates are new, i am presuming the springs are new, so is the clutch cog, all the nut bolts in the handle bar clutch lever are new and so is the cable and it takes a little time to bed in and even out. Dont unnnecessarily worry about it. Run it in for a few hundred KMS and you will see a world of a difference.

This can be drastically improved by the following:

Teflon lined control cables
Correct handle bar shims and bushes duly lubricated
Correct routing of the control cables
Correct spring on the clutch lever with the correct return rate

Opening the engine for a hard clutch does not help at all untill and unless you are doubtful about the clutch plate free play at the time of assembly or you want to change the spring strength in the clutch system _ my recommendation is DONT tinker with the spring strength.

I am presuming all of it would have got your eye for detail already.

Cheers.

Saurabh

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 16th February 2010 at 18:44.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:52   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Hi Stanher,

This is something I have observed as normal on new rebuilt engines. The Clutch plates are new, i am presuming the springs are new, so is the clutch cog, all the nut bolts in the handle bar clutch lever are new and so is the cable and it takes a little time to bed in and even out. Dont unnnecessarily worry about it. Run it in for a few hundred KMS and you will see a world of a difference.
Opening the engine for a hard clutch does not help at all untill and unless you are doubtful about the clutch plate free play at the time of assembly or you want to change the spring strength in the clutch system _ my recommendation is DONT tinker with the spring strength.
Thanks Saurabh!

Anyways, about time I updated- the clutch problem appears thankfully solved now! The mech. had opened the casing to check the clutch plates etc. and found that the clutch bell/basket appeared tampered with, in the sence the sides of the "grooves" (where the teeth of the plates go through- make sence?) of the bell had had some welding done on them. Though a minor job, it caused an unevenness on the sides and therefore the hardness of the clutch. I suspect it was done by the previous owner- is this a common cheapo fix job on this part?
Well, I didnt get to see it though, as it was already fixed by the time I got there, and the clutch lever feels normal now, so no worries as of now.

The denter's asked us to come down tomorrow to fit the silencer. I hope the work finishes normally on it atleast this time!

PS: 'was expecting your call last night, and just gave you a call again. But no response.

Last edited by Stanher : 16th February 2010 at 21:54.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:01   #357
Senior - BHPian

OK, more updates:

The silence finally got its much-awaited attention the other day, successfully fitted and connected to the tail-pipe in place. A new end-piece fo the muffler was spot-welded and the tail-pipe had a little (around 2-3 inches) of it's front cut off as it is said to choke the silencer if too long.

Anyways, best part is I got the OHH REE GEE NAL Innocenti tail-pipe for my silencer, as I wanted!

Also turned out the mudguard was beaten in a little concave-ish at the bottom, by the previous denter, so the front tyre was rubbing against it! This was sucessfully adjusted by a little pulling on either side by the denter. No damage to the paint- phew!

Next, because I had to leave for work shortly, I had the mech. drive it down to the painter's for a polish and a couple of minor touch-ups and also painting of the number.

But they said they can proceed with the work only on Monday, being busy with some backlogs now! Oh well, just a few more days now I guess!
Andd last but not the least, comes the fitting of the badges.

My scoot ought to go down in scootering history as the Lambretta that took the longest time to rebuild in India!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5098.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5104.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5109.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5111.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5112.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5113.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 20th February 2010 at 00:14.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:42   #358

Hello Dears...
Need Help / Inputs!
am currently restoring 61 Vespa... hv stripped it and the engine / tinkering work in progress...can u tell me where can i find a pair of Tyres which has a white border?
Thanks
Dharan
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:28   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharan2786 View Post
Hello Dears...
Need Help / Inputs!
am currently restoring 61 Vespa... hv stripped it and the engine / tinkering work in progress...can u tell me where can i find a pair of Tyres which has a white border?
Thanks
Dharan
Whitewall inserts are available in Delhi I was told.

Note: No offence but please do not post about Vespa restoration in this thread as with the spree of replies, it's bound to go
A separate Vespa thread, if any, would serve the purpose.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:36   #360
Senior - BHPian

OK guys, its just about time to rejoice!! Sorry for the delay but my net had been down all of yesterday until this morning, and went out again today until it was restored just a while ago!! So was totally cut off!

My "MDS" is in the final stages of being finished!! Attached are photos of the progress happening since yesterday.

The painters were finally free so went ahead with the number painting front and rear. Then with that done, the spray-painted number was cleaned up to show properly, with rubbing compound, following which the polishing was done.

Next set of photos taken today will show post-polish and then the much-awaited fitting of the legshield badges!!

'had them done at a chap's just beside the compound, very carefully and efficiently. They give a whole new look to the scooter!! I just couldnt stop looking at her after this!! The holes for the rear numberplate and frame were also drilled.
A minor adjustment was also done to fit the legshield beading bottom clamps.

'need to buy screws for the rear plate frame though, plus fit the side-panel badges as well (forgot to take them today!!) so it will have to be tomorrow for her final home-coming! Meanwhile, feast your eyes.....!
Note: Breaking the total number of pics. into 2 posts, since there are many of them for now! Oh, and also because my net connection is so unpredictable! :|

PS: 'also got to ride her myself today, albeit briefly. But man, was I thrilled! The gears felt fine and easy, and the running smooth! 'felt great, but for the front seat with its crazy sloped height! 'need to sort that out as well!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5141.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5142.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5143.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5145.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5148.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5152.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5151.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5156.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5157.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5158.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd February 2010 at 20:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks