Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 22:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
took these pics while driving baba...the number plate is still black and it seems to be a very old registration...
You see an interesting Fiat and dont stop? Shame on you!
Old 7th December 2007, 22:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
hey gys...just found some more pics of my fiat...a lil disapointed...
Dissapointed with what? The pictures? Or that the car has seen some fun. Beleive me all Fiats are living beings and want to have fun. So you have a very happy car with you.

Any extra wear can be repaired.
Old 7th December 2007, 22:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_kidwai View Post
and some more of the stationwagon version.......

Intersting, this needs to be saved. Anyway the station wagon has such clean lines. Fiat should revive the 1100 (in Delight form offcourse)
Old 7th December 2007, 22:36   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Intersting, this needs to be saved. Anyway the station wagon has such clean lines. Fiat should revive the 1100 (in Delight form offcourse)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_kidwai View Post
and some more of the stationwagon version.......

Oh yes, it does need to be saved. Pity it isnt in India. Wouldnt this look superb after restoration?

Old 7th December 2007, 22:46   #95
BHPian

The board to the left reads "Do Not Stop on Expressway" LOL!
Old 7th December 2007, 23:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Kurian had fun with her for sure - but the pics look great

in anycase you guys will be restoring it - so any damage (??) will be taken care of.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 7th December 2007 at 23:14.
Old 7th December 2007, 23:29   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
Here is a modded LHD Padmini in Doha, Qatar.

List of mods:
  • black leather interiors.
  • pioneer Organic EL Display CD Player with full sound system by sony xplod Woofer 2000 watt .
  • stone shift knob.
  • engine changed to 120y datsun with custom headers.
MORE PICS can be found here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2545123
thats the turbo charged one....
Old 7th December 2007, 23:30   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Mr. Kurian had fun with her for sure - but the pics look great

in anycase you guys will be restoring it - so any damage (??) will be taken care of.
suspension has already been completely changed......
Old 8th December 2007, 02:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

The board to the left reads "Do Not Stop on Expressway" LOL!
He is not on the expressway but the shoulder. Shoulders are meant service vehicles or for stopping in emergencies, such as this one.
Old 8th December 2007, 04:08   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
He is not on the expressway but the shoulder. Shoulders are meant service vehicles or for stopping in emergencies, such as this one.
Emergency ...hmm.. must have been all those 7 coconut waters!! lol

However, on a serious note, ive never thought about it the way you expressed (ie shoulder vs expressway), however i think the rule is that you should not stop (on either the shoulder or the expressway) unless it is a (real) emergency.

It might sound stupid, but when cars are travelling at that speed, on a straight boring road, the drivers pay less attention and mentally just stay behind the car ahead of them.
If they see a car on the shoulder (especially at night or in the rain) it takes a while for them to realise the car is not moving, and sometimes they begin to "follow" it and realise with a thud.
As silly as it sounds, it IS dangerous to stop.

For proof, take a look at youtube videos and you will find HUNDREDS of videos where a cop stops someone on the side of the road, and after a minute of being parked on the side of the road (even with the cops flashing lights) some idiot comes and rams into both the parked cars, or the cop at the window (standing safely on the shoulder), or even cases where flying tyres knock the cop out.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2007 at 04:16.
Old 8th December 2007, 08:33   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
it takes a while for them to realise the car is not moving, and sometimes they begin to "follow" it
R
True, one has to be really aware.
Old 8th December 2007, 13:07   #102

@rehaan...we stopped just as the expressway started...not even 50 mts had passed...neways..will remember you enlightening advice next time i stop on the expressway......
Old 9th December 2007, 06:31   #103
BHPian

Mr.Behram Dhabar, LHD Fiat should be a rare car and from the photos and travelogue it is sure in top condition.It is definitely a pleasure to drive a fiat/padmini which appears to be quick revving (shorter stroke length?) engine.
Congratulation.Your write up was very interesting with the thrilling experince of changing distributer midway at dusk and with food you had on the way (tender coconut,burgers,idli's,thali meals with prawn) .Bad roads are everywhere but you could have covered the whole distance in 21 hours or so comfortably if the roads were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
TRAVELOGUE - PREMIER PADMINI LEFT HAND DRIVE - KOTTAYAM TO MUMBAI:

At Kottayam - We got a very good welcome and a wonderful homemade lunch. Thank you Mr.Kurian. He has an awesome collection (some belonging to his customers) - a 1957 Fiat, a 1961 Fiat, a pristine landmaster, an Ambassador, a Nissan, 3 Standard Heralds (Stanher / Stampro - you would have loved them), a 118NE, a Lancer, a Logan etc and the LHD Fiat KL05G7629.

Behram Dhabhar
Being a newbie I do not know much about Mr.Kurien and his cars.
If you think you can write about him in this forum please throw more light.

Next I think you yourself were amazing with the well thought out kit in orange suitcase, self designed inlet manifold, changing axle ratio (differential?), solex to mikuni carburettor etc. Oooooh, have to learn more about T-Bhp members.

Last edited by stampro : 9th December 2007 at 06:32.
Old 9th December 2007, 11:32   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Next I think you yourself were amazing with the well thought out kit in orange suitcase, self designed inlet manifold, changing axle ratio (differential?), solex to mikuni carburettor etc. Oooooh, have to learn more about T-Bhp members.
hi..the mikuni transformation has already been done in one of my cars...also that has the optimised 3.9 axle ratio setup..

Old 12th December 2007, 14:29   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Work done on the LHD upto now:
Replaced front suspension complete, because in the work done in Kottayam, they had not used original spiders (they are not available for love of money but I have 3 sets more with me). Parts fitted now are new control arms, original springs (the old ones had sagged), new shock absorbers, new stub axles, new leaf spring shackles, brackets and bushes. The steering parts are in good shape though.

After correction, the "sagged down" look disappeared and the car has a normal stance now. Then I did the wheel camber, caster and toe setting. The angles are in the midrange of the tolerance band. Steering effort is linear and track is straight.

The ignition coil and high tension wires were replaced as coil resistance caused an overload condition which led to failure.

New S1 exhaust system parts including the custom muffler and tail pipe are ready. They will go on next. Then I changeover to the Mikuni carburettor. Then I change to the 4.3:1 axle. Then I put new tyres. Then let's see how it accelerates.

Major work will start after I get my precious MH01 number.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks