Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:53   #181
Team-BHP Support

If I am not mistaken, that is Premier President. Atleast the hub caps and the front grill isn't from a Padmini.
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:35   #182
Senior - BHPian

Definitely agree with moralfibre. It looks way too much like a President!

Anyways, Dr. Karl should be here to clarify any moment!

Incidentally I recall seeing fiats of this model year in this colour back in my childhood! 'sure feels good to see one after so long!
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

What was the first year that the change from the round corner markers to the square ones were made?

I do see there is a difference of shade between the fenders and the front panel housing the lights and grille. Or is it just the computer playing tricks.

If you have the quarter glass, having a door mirror at that point makes it really painful to see. When we still had the quarter glasses, the mirror was installed further back, inline with the quarter glass pillar as well as clear of the quarter glass opening sweep.

Overall a lovely looking car.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:18   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
If you have the quarter glass, having a door mirror at that point makes it really painful to see. When we still had the quarter glasses, the mirror was installed further back, inline with the quarter glass pillar as well as clear of the quarter glass opening sweep.
Actually I was going to suggest he take off those ugly plastic mirrors for good! They just dont suit older cars, its equally painful to see so many owners of older cars (with the EXCEPTION of TOTALLY CUSTOMISED/MODDED/"PIMPED" ones- including yours, 1100D! ) fit them on!
You get even chrome mirrors (common on Ambys) that have a more "period" look, so if you must have mirrors, you could surely fit those on instead. Considering you appreciate how complete/original this car has been kept, these ones should be off ASAP. Period.

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd March 2008 at 23:19.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:36   #185
BHPian

1976 Premier Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Guys check out my 1976 padmini, in original Golden Drop colour. This Car has never been repainted, done 91K kms in the past 32 years.
It has full service history, original and duplicate keys, the owners manual. The body has never been touched, not a spot of rust anywhere.

Truly one of a kind.

This car is definately a "PADMINI" and not a "PRESIDENT".

For some reason or the other, someone has fitted PRESIDENT hubcaps on this car.
The PRESIDENT type aluminium grills (in the picture) were spotted on the early PADMINIS till 1978, but spotted the new PAL centre logo on the grill.
Also the aluminium trim on the front and rear windshield glass and the rectangular side indicators never came on PRESIDENT, but were introduced on the early PADMINIS in production thereafter.
The colour shade is definately PERIOD and the car genuinely looks very clean and original.

@Karl - do correct me if I am wrong! I had to comment here because I just got excited seeing those PRESIDENT hubcaps which I am truly obsessed about, as you know.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Actually I was going to suggest he take off those ugly plastic mirrors for good! They just dont suit older cars, its equally painful to see so many owners of older cars (with the EXCEPTION of TOTALLY CUSTOMISED/MODDED/"PIMPED" ones- including yours, 1100D! ) fit them on!
You get even chrome mirrors (common on Ambys) that have a more "period" look, so if you must have mirrors, you could surely fit those on instead. Considering you appreciate how complete/original this car has been kept, these ones should be off ASAP. Period.
Right, the Mirrors on our car are from the Amby Grand.

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd March 2008 at 23:45.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:42   #187

how is all this relevant in this thread??

@mods-please move the last few posts to a new threads..
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:42   #188

We just got the number today finally...the car is now 3238...the full number will be revealed later.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:56   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
how is all this relevant in this thread??

@mods-please move the last few posts to a new threads..

@Cyrus, its quite fine this way, we also have the BLB-1144 (which is not the LHD) being discussed in this thread, dont we?

Moreover, the LHD car is actually a mid 90's car the qualification of which as a vintage, to be discussed in this section, can always be a matter of debate. So the Mods have given this thread adequate leeway in the first place.

We all love these cars and lets just restrict the tone to reflect the love for the car rather than anything else.

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd March 2008 at 23:59.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2008, 00:02   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
@Cyrus, its quite fine this way, we also have the BLB-1144 (which is not the LHD) being discussed in this thread, dont we?

Moreover, the LHD car is actually a mid 90's car the qualification of which as a vintage, to be discussed in this section, can always be a matter of debate. So the Mods have given this thread adequate leeway in the first place.

We all love these cars and lets just restrict the tone to reflect the love for the car rather than anything else.

And.....I fully agree with 1100D on this subject.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
The PRESIDENT type aluminium grills (in the picture) were spotted on the early PADMINIS till 1978, but spotted the new PAL centre logo on the grill.
Oops! Sorry took it for granted that the logo was a padmini one.

Quote:
Also the aluminium trim on the front and rear windshield glass and the rectangular side indicators never came on PRESIDENT, but were introduced on the early PADMINIS in production thereafter.
Yup I knew the president had the round side-indicators but again took it for granted that those were eventually replaced with the later square ones (as in case of many older fiats- including delights) on the car.
And also took it for granted that the side-pattis were owner-fitted!

I couldnt be blamed, however, considering that Ive seen far too many presidents (and delights) half-modded with later padmini cosmetics!

Oh, and speaking of president hubcaps, I can spare a set for you if you want, picked them up just recently. Ironically though, they seem to be more easily available then delight ones! Anyways, 'nuff of digression I guess!
Old 4th March 2008, 00:26   #192
BHPian

PRESIDENT Hubcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Oh, and speaking of president hubcaps, I can spare a set for you if you want, picked them up just recently. Ironically though, they seem to be more easily available then delight ones! Anyways, 'nuff of digression I guess!

Thanks Shyam......surely do appreciate the generous and most tempting offer.
But, of late I have 12 of 'em Brand new ones lying in my spares collection besides the ones already in good shape on my PRESIDENT.
However, I'm sure Dr. Karl will not mind adding some more of these to his most unique and mind blowing variety of spare hub caps.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:33   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
But, of late I have 12 of 'em Brand new ones lying in my spares collection besides the ones already in good shape on my PRESIDENT.
However, I'm sure Dr. Karl will not mind adding some more of these to his most unique and mind blowing variety of spare hub caps.
Looks like I need to catch up with you guys ASAP!
Old 4th March 2008, 09:58   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like I need to clarify a few things. First of all, Cyrus, it's good to discuss all Fiats on this thread. It's of common interest, so it does not matter. However, moderators can decide finally and we must respect their decision. Second, my left hand drive is now officially Mumbai registered. It is now MH01YA3238 (it was KL05G7629). I need to collect the documents from my RTO person and then I will change the number plates. Thirdly, on the differences between the Premier President and the Premier Padmini, the Premier President was introduced in 1972 and continued till 1975. The Padmini was introduced in mid 1975. ALL CARS BEFORE PADMINI HAD ROUND SIDE INDICATORS. I HAVE SEEN THE DRAWINGS. Rectangular ones were introduced with the Padmini, not before.

All of you will be pleasantly surprised to know that I visited PAL factory for the first time somewhere in 1972 alongwith my parents as part of the shareholders visit (I was in school then). I saw brand new Premier Presidents from the first floor window of the canteen inside the factory (the final OK line was next to the canteen). The other important thing introduced on the Padmini was the "backlit instrument cluster" giving a sort of greenish glow and the changed wheel caps with circumferential depressions. The first body colour of the Padmini was lightish green. I saw the very first car delivered in Mumbai parked near 5 gardens in 1975. Incidentally, the Padmini and the blockbuster movie Sholay were released within months of each other. The Padmini in May 1975 and Sholay on 15 August 1975 in Minerva cinema in Bombay as Mumbai was then known. Also, I still remember all the cars parked inside the BCMA showroom in Opera House (there is a restaurant there now !). I used to go there, meet a particular old gentleman and buy spare parts. Oh, those days will never come back. A little bit of further nostalgia - when one of my father's friends bought a Premier Padmini "Economy" model in pale lilac (white) colour in 1986 from Maha Auto, we gave a cheque of Rs.79498.94 ON ROAD. I remember the exact amount. The registration number of that car was MFC5955.

I think I must write down my experiences within PAL from December 1976 to May 1977 and from April 1984 to June 1994. What do you suggest ? More typing at home for me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th March 2008, 10:05   #195
Team-BHP Support

Please go ahead, eagerly waiting for you to type

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks