Old 23rd August 2007, 12:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures:

Old 23rd August 2007, 16:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Some more pictures:

In the above pic (second pic) see the extra small fin which seems welded to make a faux fin a la W111/112. Clever but pakda gaya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Gogi Bhai, this is the car in question:

In the above pic check out the weld pattern clearly on the rear wheel arch which shows an existing door opening was welded shut

Ishan please look at the pics i have posted below of the tail fins and the rear lights of the W108/109 and the W111/112 and compare with the above pic. You will see that this is actually a W108/9

If you ask me its a 108 conversion to a W111/112. In one pic you can see the weld pattern on the rear door just above the rear wheel arch. Look carefully. Even looking at the rear tray where the rear windscreen fits, there is no space for the convertible top to fit in.

The hood well of a 111/112 should look like this

It looks like a chop job to me. If its the lack of fins you're worried about, then don't be as these coupes came with less prominent fins as i have mentioned below. But also look at the pic of the rear fin . One can see a distinct weld and an add on in that area of a small protrusion. IMHO he is trying hard to create a 111.
The W111/112 were the coupe models of the Heckflosse era. W111 being the coupes with short fins and the 112 being the more luxuriously endowed and equipped with air suspension introduced in 1961.The 2 door models don't really deserve the nickname Heckflosse because these Coupés and Convertibles do not have the prominent 'fins' on the rear as their sedan siblings but they do share some mechanical elements with them
The 2 door models were produced until 1971. They were known to the public as 220SE, 250SE, 300 SE, 280SE and 280SE 3,5 Coupé and Convertible.

A W111

A W112 convertible

A W108-compare these pics with Ishans posts and see the difference or similarity

In the pics below, Compare the two fins and rear lights. They are both 280SEs but see the difference between the 108 and the 111

W108-280SE sedan

W111/112-280SE coupe

I Rest My Case!! But open to correction any time

i would appreciate inputs and comments from Mercedes aficionados like Ajmat, Ram and other classic car restorers like Vintageman and Speedy.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd August 2007 at 16:19.
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:32   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to interrupt V-16, but I have to butt in and say those pics are just gorgeous! Ive always had a soft spot for the SE cabrios, especially when typically shot by the French Riveria with a 60s screen siren in the front seat wrapped in a white scarf and oversize glasses...sigh!

Did spot a green 108 in Pune last week. After a long time!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd August 2007 at 16:34.
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:35   #109
Senior - BHPian

bhai i was wondering too and it was a real neat job done when i saw the car for the first time. what had me thinking was the windscrees frame in which the quater glass was comming outside the frame not like a normal convertible would have it and even the frame where you have the sun shades was smaller as though a hardtop has been chopped almost to perfection.
the rear of the car is of a w108 and i dont think these came in convertibles correct me if i am wrong. the gears of this car are not of a w108 but of a w111 so that is another point. the owner says its an original convertible and the hardtop is lost.
please could the experts tell me did this model come with a removeable hardtop. personally i dont think so but i maybe wrong.
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:44   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Sorry to interrupt V-16, but I have to butt in and say those pics are just gorgeous! Ive always had a soft spot for the SE cabrios, especially when typically shot by the French Riveria with a 60s screen siren in the front seat wrapped in a white scarf and oversize glasses...sigh!

Did spot a green 108 in Pune last week
. After a long time!
er...which one....where...when....er...er...How Much??(AAkhir aukaad pe aa hi gaya mai?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
bhai i was wondering too and it was a real neat job done when i saw the car for the first time. what had me thinking was the windscrees frame in which the quater glass was comming outside the frame not like a normal convertible would have it and even the frame where you have the sun shades was smaller as though a hardtop has been chopped almost to perfection.
the rear of the car is of a w108 and i dont think these came in convertibles correct me if i am wrong. the gears of this car are not of a w108 but of a w111 so that is another point. the owner says its an original convertible and the hardtop is lost.
please could the experts tell me did this model come with a removable hardtop. IMHO i dont think so but i maybe wrong too.
There was no removable hard top offered on the W111/112 unless if it was a special order accessory which i seriously doubt. Als you are right about the Quarter Glass. One can clearly see the rear lights ans the rear and quite simply conclude that this is not an original coupe. These gears did come on the 111/112 and also on the 108 as well as the 115 ( i remember seeing Vinod Khanna's pristine white, W115 - 220 also a LHD floor shift Automatic, which had the same kind of gear shift.)
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

i dont think this would have been a special order. what i feel is that the previous owner chopped off the top to make it a convertible and lost interest in the project and sold the car to this guy. i would like to see this car restored though it would be a sight.
if i remember right vinod khanna's 220 was a floor shift but with a different unit dont know what its technical name is.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:09   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
er...which one....where...when....er...er...How Much??(AAkhir aukaad pe aa hi gaya mai?)
Its a deep green MMB/F number, used to see it regularly at the pump opp Nucleus Mall. Saw it there last week after ages, so come to Poona, we'll harrass the pumpwalla.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:16   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a deep green MMB/F number, used to see it regularly at the pump opp Nucleus Mall. Saw it there last week after ages, so come to Poona, we'll harrass the pumpwalla.
karl i had seen a cream one parked outside german bakery on a sunday morning once is this the same car?
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:26   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
karl i had seen a cream one parked outside german bakery on a sunday morning once is this the same car?
Nope never seen a cream one...The car I speak of is in dark green, and from the looks of it its been that colour for years.

OT:- Heres another gorgeous cream classic I snapped outside German bakery also on a Sunday morning. A 57 completely unrestored Dodge Kingsway

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd August 2007 at 17:29.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope never seen a cream one...The car I speak of is in dark green, and from the looks of it its been that colour for years.
then this is a different car, there used to be one which i had seen, the person lived in the camp area if i remember right. even there used to be some cars next to the bharti peeth if that is the right name. it was a college area.
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:56   #116
Senior - BHPian

Gogi bhai - I didn't notice the car that closely because we had a LOT of cars to see & snap. But the moment I saw this car I mentioned to Speedy that I don't know why but it seems to be suspicious to me, something is not right! Turns out my intuition wasn't wrong! Good work there!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:- Heres another gorgeous cream classic I snapped outside German bakery also on a Sunday morning. A 57 completely unrestored Dodge Kingsway

this looks like someone i know their car. the angry young man with barrette is it his car.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I sounding too Greedy?? Who cares
The dark green MMB something was owned by our VCCCI president sometime ago and was done up at Speedy's place at worli, if its the same car. Right Speedy? ITs a 250s or a 280s, i think it was a 250s RHD, floor shift every thing manual and was not in good shape when it came to them. Got sold a few years ago

Quote:
this looks like someone i know their car. the angry young man with barrette is it his car.
Hey is that who i think it is behind the wheel Karl? Krrish Uncle?
Old 24th August 2007, 00:26   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe...who else could it be? Here he is, Pheroze Krissh Mehta. Faster that Phantom, Stonger than Samson. (in his own words!)

Now lets get back to topic before Gogi gives up posting about his restorations altogether!
Old 24th August 2007, 00:27   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The dark green MMB something was owned by our VCCCI president sometime ago and was done up at Speedy's place at worli, if its the same car.
Thats what someone else told me as well. It still isnt in great shape.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks