Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:37   #16
BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Man, your thread rekindled ol' memories yet again. The corrosive deposits in the carb barrel (in my case there was gunk on the carb top too), setting the tappets, etc. were all stuff that I've done myself, of course under guidance of my guru who was better known as Chacha.
Thank you sir, was waiting for your comments
This Chacha that you often mention, seemed to be to you what Ravi is to me, my automotive guru!

The funky console
Attachment 2442635

Plus, 9199 sports a stock rear seat with stock lining while the driver seat has been re-lined[/quote]

As I mentioned, a lot of the original parts and fittings from this car have been flicked as it wasn't it good hands for a few months till it came to me. As per my knowledge, the front seat is from a Padmini S1 owing to the fabric pattern which was only there for the S1. The rear seat which has the matrix pattern does indeed seem to be original. There is a fat chance that the indicator and wiper stalks too were flicked and replaced by older ones, or these could be original. The steering and meter definitely aren't original to 9199

Restoring a 1990 Premier Padmini Deluxe BE-img_20200111_123305_2.jpg

Restoring a 1990 Premier Padmini Deluxe BE-img_20200111_123537_2.jpg

Here are two images of Arun1100's Padmini interior, which I believe is around the same age as 9199 and largely original. I suppose this is how 9199 would've been too. I was also told that it should have had puddle lamps, a light in the glovebox, a roof light and ash trays on the rear doors. Sadly everything was flicked.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 15:21   #17
BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

The thick steering wheel and the instrument cluster shown came factory fitted on Premier Padmini's back in 1990.I found similar one's fitted on my PP when I bought it, I but later swapped it with a slender steering wheel.

Your PP looks neat, congratulations on the acquisition..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post
Thank you sir, was waiting for your comments
This Chacha that you often mention, seemed to be to you what Ravi is to me, my automotive guru!

The funky console
Attachment 2442635

As I mentioned, a lot of the original parts and fittings from this car have been flicked as it wasn't it good hands for a few months till it came to me. As per my knowledge, the front seat is from a Padmini S1 owing to the fabric pattern which was only there for the S1. The rear seat which has the matrix pattern does indeed seem to be original. There is a fat chance that the indicator and wiper stalks too were flicked and replaced by older ones, or these could be original. The steering and meter definitely aren't original to 9199

Attachment 2442703

Attachment 2442704

Here are two images of Arun1100's Padmini interior, which I believe is around the same age as 9199 and largely original. I suppose this is how 9199 would've been too. I was also told that it should have had puddle lamps, a light in the glovebox, a roof light and ash trays on the rear doors. Sadly everything was flicked.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoring a 1990 Premier Padmini Deluxe BE

What a transformation! that last pic at Shivaji park in sunset is simply iconic. I had a 1993 padmini with me for 6 years and man all the memories of the car and time spent changing parts were revived.

I had to scrap my padmini since its body was falling apart in 2012 and i had acquired a new car. The late Mr Dhabar had also advised me to scrap it at earliest since restoring it was too much work. It was a 19 year old car by then.If you click on my profile you will see its pic.

Also have a thread on my car
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...r-padmini.html (1400 Kms in 18 yr old Premier Padmini)

Padmini is a car which is very close to my heart since it was the one in which i learnt driving.
What really amazes me is that even in 2023 someone is able to get parts to keep it running!

Thanks a ton for sharing them and i eagerly look forward to its journey.

Last edited by silverado : 24th April 2023 at 18:32.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
The thick steering wheel and the instrument cluster shown came factory fitted on Premier Padmini's back in 1990.I found similar one's fitted on my PP when I bought it, I later swapped it with a slender steering wheel.

Your PP looks neat, congratulations on the acquisition..
Thanks for the clarification
Also, I went through your thread some time ago. What fantabulous documentation of the restoration! Your car looked absolutely stunning when it rolled out of the restorer's place. Hoping that 9199 too looks the same once she is restored completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
What a transformation! that last pic at Shivaji park in sunset is simply iconic. I had a 1993 padmini with me for 6 years and man all the memories of the car and time spent changing parts were revived.

I had to scrap my padmini since its body was falling apart in 2012 and i had acquired a new car. The late Mr Dhabar had also advised me to scrap it at earliest since restoring it was too much work. It was a 19 year old car by then.If you click on my profile you will see its pic.

Also have a thread on my car
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...r-padmini.html (1400 Kms in 18 yr old Premier Padmini)

Padmini is a car which is very close to my heart since it was the one in which i learnt driving.
What really amazes me is that even in 2023 someone is able to get parts to keep it running!

Thanks a ton for sharing them and i eagerly look forward to its journey.

Glad to know you liked the thread. Fiat 1100s/Padminis are such rudimentary cars and can often be quite crap as well, but the overall raw and communicative experience of driving one of these ensures all the negatives are overshadowed. Sad to know that you had to scrap your Padmini, bet you did that with a very heavy heart, but I suppose it was for the better. Would love to show you 9199 someday.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 15:43   #20
BHPian

Here is a quick Before and After comparison, to show how far we have come since Day 1

Restoring a 1990 Premier Padmini Deluxe BE-picsart_230217_203027596.jpg
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 20:06   #21

Cool restoration. How's 9199 doing now?
Any updates?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks