Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 01:28   #691
BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Thanks a million Ilango, the chain wasnt difficult to find and it was the 81 link one. I am really not sure about the sproket but when I open it up the next time I will surely look at it. As for the carb, I have fitted the same as a Li150 with bigger jets. I dont want to stress the engine during the run in period and running it lean. Once I cover 2000 km on it, I will start with all the mods. The piston is almost a quarter century old and I am not taking any chances with stressing it now.
Old 5th May 2011, 08:35   #692
BHPian

Tuffryder,
If you stil havent closed the engine head I would highly recommend making a groove in the head. It really has some effect. Mine, Lambyman's and the white - yellow LI 150 have them. And yes there is a difference in the low-end torque. Having the groove in the run-in itself is better. You may give a thought as the engine is yet to be fitted to the chassis.
I can post you a picture of a grooved Vijai's head if you would need for reference.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:29   #693
BHPian

Hi Tuffryder,
Got any updates to share?
Where are the rest of our Lambretta folks? Why dont guys share some 1K, 2K or 5K reviews of your own machines?
Old 15th May 2011, 23:34   #694
BHPian

Hi all

Take a look at this link (click on 'scooters' on left scroll down on page) and see what you think - this is the new 'Lambretta' available in Europe soon.

www.moto-centre.co.uk

It's obviously taken it's styling cues from the 1960s series 3 range of Innocenti produced machines but there any similarity ends -this is a 4 stroke automatic with all the elements of a modern scooter.

I won't be swapping my classic original lambrettas for one, but if I was a modern scooter buyer I'd probably prefer this to the more contemporary designs of the Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Your views, please?

Regards
Ed

Last edited by edsuede : 15th May 2011 at 23:36.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:54   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Hi all

Take a look at this link (click on 'scooters' on left scroll down on page) and see what you think - this is the new 'Lambretta' available in Europe soon.

www.moto-centre.co.uk
I wish this is available in India.

With the original Vijai rear seat's steel plate procured by Shirish, since day before yesterday my scooter is back in its original form. Previously it had the Bajaj scooter's seat adapted to Vijai.
My Vijai, the regular commuting vehicle has done 4K kms succesfully. It is becoming more reliable day by day, but still a long way to go towards 100% prefection which is a continuous process.

So far experimented my scooter with 3 carbs, Micarb VM 22, Jetex SH22, and Micarb VM 24. Jetex gave hiccups at sudden WOT, but good for a city drive. As well the flat slide tends to wear out more often resulting in unstable idle. VM 24 gives the smoothest drive, which I is currently running the machine. Good for a tourister setup as the engine gets more and more smoother at higher speeds and continuous cruising. Getting 30+ kmpl. VM22 is again good for city drive but doesnt give hiccups at transitions. The Vijai MK-2 with my dad runs on VM22 since 1985. From my experiments I find the variable venturi carburetor many times better than a flat side carb.
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2011, 19:22   #696
BHPian

Hello,

I have a question for all the Lambretta experts here. I have a 1964 LI 150 Series 2. I want to know what kind of badges, trims, tail light, grills etc. cosmetic parts were standard on it as a factory fitment?

Priyadarshan
Old 28th June 2011, 00:30   #697
BHPian

I feel terrible as I read this forum. my uncle had 2 immaculate lambretta, spotless and everys single logo and light in original which he himself use to clean every sunday for couple of hours with water and kerosene to wipe of stains. He also had all the spares in multiples. Unfortunately he sold both of them in INR 4000/-only 2 years back as he was unable to maintain and I came to know off late that both of them have been scrapped.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:30   #698
BHPian

Cooltronics, thats a pity to hear. I can imagine how you would have felt after going through this and other Lambretta threads. There are still many more people who regret for selling off their Lambretta / Lamby / Vijay for peanuts.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:32   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Once I complete the full restoration, I will run in the scooter and then think about upgrading it, electrics and engine, which will be on an as-needed basis.
Hi dude,
please post us some pics that speak about the progress in your Mac 175 restoration.
Old 28th June 2011, 19:06   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi dude,
please post us some pics that speak about the progress in your Mac 175 restoration.
Hey Ilango:

I have not touched the scooter after overhauling the engine. Apart from work which is keeping me up, I have another bike in hand to do up (Yezdi 350). I am keeping this scooter as one of the last restoration projects as some of my other bikes/scooters have been waiting longer. Also, I need to get hold of the badges, front fork, and the speedo before I start any work on it. Any help in this regard from you end will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:24   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hello,

I have a question for all the Lambretta experts here. I have a 1964 LI 150 Series 2. I want to know what kind of badges, trims, tail light, grills etc. cosmetic parts were standard on it as a factory fitment?

Priyadarshan
Please see these pictures and do the restoration.I am no expert but these points can help you. If you can post pictures of your scooter in its present state I can comment better.
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-479.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-477.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-476.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-474.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-lambretta01large.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc04995.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc06707.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc06746.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc05785.jpg
You will also find pictures of two original Lambrettas here on (post #451)this thread from a calender picture. These were original shades.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...re-thread.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th June 2011 at 20:30.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 12:15   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Please see these pictures and do the restoration.I am no expert but these points can help you. If you can post pictures of your scooter in its present state I can comment better.
Attachment 568457

Attachment 568458

Attachment 568459

Attachment 568460

Attachment 568461

Attachment 568462

Attachment 568463

Attachment 568464

Attachment 568465
You will also find pictures of two original Lambrettas here on (post #451)this thread from a calender picture. These were original shades.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...re-thread.html
Hello Anjan Sir,

Thank you for your reply. Here are the pictures of my scooter.
Looks like i have many non-original parts. Speedo is an API, probably a later fitment. There is no engine kill switch present. Tail lamp is obviously a Bajaj. The badge is API instead of Innocenti. I think the position of Lambretta badge is also changed in my case. The colour combo seems to be original. Do let me know if you find any more stuff thats not right.

Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0149.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0150.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0151.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0152.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0153.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0148.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0154.jpg  

Old 29th June 2011, 17:27   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pictures of my scooter.
Looks like i have many non-original parts. Speedo is an API, probably a later fitment. There is no engine kill switch present. Tail lamp is obviously a Bajaj. The badge is API instead of Innocenti. I think the position of Lambretta badge is also changed in my case. The colour combo seems to be original. Do let me know if you find any more stuff thats not right.
You're right about all these. Also if your scooter was made before 1962, it should've had the lambretta side panel badges. But if it was 1962, it may not have had. The innocenti s2 was made with the round horn grille even in 1962 but stopped coming with the side-panel badges.

Last edited by Stanher : 29th June 2011 at 17:28.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:12   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Anjan Sir,

Thank you for your reply. Here are the pictures of my scooter.

Priyadarshan
Thanks for the feedback priyadarshan.I feel nostalgic as my uncle who was at Pune had a grey (single colour) Lambretta MHP 9173.This grey as I said succeeded the full white colour. It was the second full single colour offering by API, who had just then dumped the two tone. So being MHP 8612, your scooter might have originally been full white (not cream nor smoky white but just white)in colour. Or it may have been from the last lot of two tones.
The speedo and API monogram are from the Lamby.The tail light is from the Bajaj 150/Super. The front left side Lambretta Li150 badge should be horizontal as in the pictures of the scooters you see on this thread and not slanting as is the case with your scooter. As regards the engine kill switch its replaced by the ignition key in your case.The reason for the large scale fitment of the ignition switch with key was that the handle lock was unsafe.I as a child could open some handle locks of Lambrettas in our family with other keys, to play around.You also need to have the engine cover levers at their tail ends that are not in place.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th June 2011 at 18:14.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:34   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You're right about all these. Also if your scooter was made before 1962, it should've had the lambretta side panel badges. But if it was 1962, it may not have had. The innocenti s2 was made with the round horn grille even in 1962 but stopped coming with the side-panel badges.
Mine is a 1964 model. What about the grill below rear seat? Was it there on '64 models? There are the mounting holes present on scooter. If they stopped the round horn grill in '62, How come i have a round one?

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 29th June 2011 at 18:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks