Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 17:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Are you nuts? Nostalgia and the perceived 'classic' factor aside there's no reason you should pay anything more than Rs.1,500 or Rs.2,000 for it.

Rs.8,000 would get you a standard herald.
Ha ha (ironic laugh!)....how I wish that were the case even today! Actually the scrap value for a car like that would be 10-11k.....ok going OT here!
Anyways, although its very late to reply to this query, 8k IMHO is quite high for any Lambretta, unless its an early one like the seires 1 or early series 2....but half of that is enough for any model later than that......and nope, not many chances of getting one @ 1500 or 2k.....I donno bout other cities but here even the scrap rate is 3k...!
Old 27th September 2007, 17:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I would have understood all these if Lambrettas had some antic values. But they don't have that either.
They do if & only if they happen to be the earliest (Italian) models like d, LD etc.
Old 27th September 2007, 17:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
hello all,

with great disappointment i have to say that i did not pick that lamby up.

many reasons. main was . . . i was looking for that scooter to be a back up for my bullet and all including my mechanic told me if i ride the scooter for a long time my back will be f&*#@d. so if anyone would like to buy that bike kindly pm me.

cheers
Sorrry to hear that...I'm not sure if I could agree with your mechanic though.....I was told that you seldom get back pain or a bent back on a lambretta because of the balancing it has...
Well, if only I'd seen this post as soon as it was posted....! Is that bike still around or sold?
Old 27th September 2007, 17:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well, I was a proud owner or a Lamby 1983 model, which I'd bought brand new, till I sold it for Rs 24 per kg in 1993, when I switched over to an LML Vespa.
If I've kept you guessing, well, a Lamby weighs 108 kgs!!
The LD and Innocenti models of Lambretta are worth keeping as antiques, but certainly not the Lamby Li.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, I was a proud owner or a Lamby 1983 model, which I'd bought brand new, till I sold it for Rs 24 per kg in 1993, when I switched over to an LML Vespa.
If I've kept you guessing, well, a Lamby weighs 108 kgs!!
The LD and Innocenti models of Lambretta are worth keeping as antiques, but certainly not the Lamby Li.
24/kg * 108 would make it Rs. 2592 (as just calculated on my mobile calculator!).....that would've been a rather high rate for scrap back then but its about that much now....
But still, a real pity that you had to sell it for scrap.....was anything wrong with it mechanically?
The Lamby & Li are both different models though....Lamby was 100% API.....IMHO the early Lis which did have composition of innocenti parts are worth keeping as well.......unfortunately so few exist now!
Old 27th September 2007, 19:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

I was just joking by mentioning kgs. I sold it for Rs 2500/- merely because I'd bought a new scooter--an LML Vespa, which had far better pickup and mileage. Even my wife and dad stopped using the Lamby.
My dad advised me to sell it, as he knew that API had closed down,and parts would be difficult---BTW, he was a Lamby dealer,right from the Innocenti days. He even visited Rome for training.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just joking by mentioning kgs. I sold it for Rs 2500/- merely because I'd bought a new scooter--an LML Vespa, which had far better pickup and mileage. Even my wife and dad stopped using the Lamby.
My dad advised me to sell it, as he knew that API had closed down,and parts would be difficult---BTW, he was a Lamby dealer,right from the Innocenti days. He even visited Rome for training.
Ohh.....ok.......glad it wasnt scrapped!

Interesting to know bout your father......so you would've had quite a collection of Lambretta associated memorabilia at home...?
Old 28th September 2007, 00:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

guys about two days back when i visited the car graveyard and found the mercedes coupe. i also chanced upon another section that they had for bikes and other scrap and confisticated stuff. there was to my horror a whole pile of scooters and lambretta's all stacked one on top of the other. could not get pictures as the person incharge did not allow me to. there must have been atleast 20 lambretta's more but not less.
Old 28th September 2007, 02:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
guys about two days back when i visited the car graveyard and found the mercedes coupe. i also chanced upon another section that they had for bikes and other scrap and confisticated stuff. there was to my horror a whole pile of scooters and lambretta's all stacked one on top of the other. could not get pictures as the person incharge did not allow me to. there must have been atleast 20 lambretta's more but not less.
Ouch,thats sad!
My dad had a Lamby from 1979 to 1985.. I used to stand in front (b/w the seat & handle bar).. I don't remember much of it,but I do have a vague picture of it in my mind. It had style ..for sure.!
Old 28th September 2007, 09:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
OMG!!! 20 lambrettas??!!

Could you find out when you go there again if there is any early 60s one among them?? Or any that looks complete/restorable & is feasible to buy from them.....Karl & I are competeing for one!
Old 28th September 2007, 12:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ohh.....ok.......glad it wasnt scrapped!

Interesting to know bout your father......so you would've had quite a collection of Lambretta associated memorabilia at home...?
Yup, I have fond memories of the Lambretta--I grew up with them, learnt riding a scooter first on a Lamby, and taught many of my pals too!
I vividly remember the contours of the scooter, as I used to stand beside the foot brake when my dad was riding it---the 'Innocenti' written on the speedometer still evokes nostalgic memories, both of the scooter and my dad.
BTW, do you guys remember a Mac 1.75S---that was launched in 1973 ?
Old 28th September 2007, 12:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG!!! 20 lambrettas??!!

Could you find out when you go there again if there is any early 60s one among them?? Or any that looks complete/restorable & is feasible to buy from them.....Karl & I are competeing for one!

Stanher, don't know about the earlier ones, but the 70's-80's lambys are still scrap here! In the more inward regions, u'll find junked lambys in almost every old house!The ppl behave as though taking them away will be the biggest favour u can do to them!
Old 28th September 2007, 13:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG!!! 20 lambrettas??!!

the guy out there was not ready to let me look around. he behaved as though he was sitting on a gold mine and i was there to rob gold. i shall find out from another place for you what seems a good price to pay for an unrestored lambretta?
Old 28th September 2007, 13:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I vividly remember the contours of the scooter, as I used to stand beside the foot brake when my dad was riding it---the 'Innocenti' written on the speedometer still evokes nostalgic memories, both of the scooter and my dad.
BTW, do you guys remember a Mac 1.75S---that was launched in 1973 ?
'Innocenti' speedo- did it have the plastic convex dome, as opposed to the flat glass one of API speedos?

And btw, this may be like asking for a needle in a haystack but do you by any chance have any old brochures etc. of Lambrettas that your dad might've kept with him as a dealer? And was he a dealer for Vijai scooters as well??

Yes I know the MAC (named after MA Chidhambaram, founder of API?)...I & Karl once even saw a junked one at pune.....belongs to a mechanic & he didnt wanna sell......:sigh:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks