Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 21:12   #571
Senior - BHPian

Wow, she looks beaut and cute! Good job, pat!
Old 10th August 2010, 08:55   #572
BHPian

Tuffryder, the Cento looks amazing. The Headlamp unit is the same as Vijai's. You simply ask for the Vijai's HL unit and it will be a direct fit.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:26   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Hello Guys, here is my rejunvinated Lambretta Cento. Im the second owner of this lovely scooter. I got it in a completely stock/original condition and it was still in its original paint. I had to repaint it because of some dents and rust. The engine has very less mileage on it and still in its factory seals. For this reason, I left the engine as it is. I would buff the engine covers when I have to open the engine. I am lucky that very few parts were missing and except for the taillight which is off a vijay, everything else on this scoot is original. Im looking for Cento Healight rim and glass, if anyone can get me one.
Here are the pictures.
Excellent restoration, well done
Old 10th August 2010, 13:23   #574
BHPian

Tuffryder,
Just noticed this, the plasctic collar under the handle bar unit is missing. Is it that it was already missing while your purchased or you got it painted and yet to be fitted?
Dude, connect the speedo as well. The Vijai / Lamby speedo cable would do the job. Guess, you liked the scooter better without the spare wheel..
Old 10th August 2010, 15:11   #575
BHPian

those are some very neat seat covers on your cento. Are they leather? Where'd you get them?
The cento tail light is a very rare item.. sells for a fair bit of cash on eBay as it's unavailable in most online scooter stores.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:27   #576
BHPian

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments.

Ilangop: No the Vijay's headlight unit does not fit into this one, in fact none of the vijay's parts fit the Cento. It is a big misonception because the cento looks like it. If you notice the Cento's headlight rim is concave. The taillamp unit had to be modified a bit to fit it in this. Im waiting for a white sleeve to fit the speedo cable, as I have put white outers for all the other cables. Again, the vijai's does not fit but I do have a cable which is in good condition. Thank you.

PS: I do have a few Vijay parts and I did try it out.

InsaneInsaan: That is art leather and I got it done with a pretty famous seat maker in bangalore. The cento taillamp your talking about must be the aluminum one but the ones sold in India came with the plastic one.

I have also made a bag for the leg sheild with the same material as the seat. It will go up after a few days. Im making a clamp for it. It was earlier fit with two holes made in the legsheild, which I have closed now.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:17   #577
BHPian

Ilangop: Here is us trying out the vijay headlight (the box on the floorboard). I'll try and take a picture of both the units to show the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00089.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 14:09   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Ilangop: No the Vijay's headlight unit does not fit into this one, in fact none of the vijay's parts fit the Cento. It is a big misonception because the cento looks like it. If you notice the Cento's headlight rim is concave. The taillamp unit had to be modified a bit to fit it in this. Im waiting for a white sleeve to fit the speedo cable, as I have put white outers for all the other cables. Again, the vijai's does not fit but I do have a cable which is in good condition. Thank you.
PS: I do have a few Vijay parts and I did try it out.
I have also made a bag for the leg sheild with the same material as the seat. It will go up after a few days. Im making a clamp for it. It was earlier fit with two holes made in the legsheild, which I have closed now.
TuffRyder, the seat colour has been tastefully chosen and yes a good seat job too.
Since you say you had tried the HL unit of Vijai, fine. But still I am not fully convinced because there could be no reason for the OEM to change the HL unit alone when the whole of the handle bar unit was carried over from a Vijai. Meanwhile I had so far change 3 - 4 HL units in my dad's and my scooter. In all cases the rim dimensions show some level of inconsistencies in dimensions. So I simply keep the new rim aside and fit in the new reflector into the old rim and finish off the job. So, I personally try out a Vijai HL from mine onto the Lambyman's Cento and share the result next week.

Well, I wasnt aware that the Italian Cento came with a different tail lamp altogether until I saw some pictures in the net. Could you please share about the modification you had to to the tail lamp, so as to fit in a Cento.
A bag on the leg shield would give a period look of the 80s. My dad's Vijai still has a bag in the leg shield. The bags are fitted with a Lion-Head bolt. The bag and the lion-head bolts are getting rarer now-a-days. But keep a note to wipe off the rear side of the bag after a wash or a drive in the rain. The wet bag tends to initiate rust over the inner surface of the leg-shield, and becomes un-noticed till one day we reomve the bag of a repair or replacement.
P.S: Parts like 1st gear, piston, piston rings, crab fingers for gear selection, Gasket kit (quite old but) and some more parts are available in Madurai. Do PM me if some one wants to stock a few parts of Cento for future.
-Ilango
Old 11th August 2010, 15:05   #579
BHPian

Thanks Ilango. I forgot to mention. Yes the plastic collar is missing and Im looking out for one, please do check if you can get one for me.

The handle bar unit is quite different from that of a Vijay. Even I though it would be the same. It just looks similar. If you notice the original glass even had the S symbol on it. The taillamp looks slightly different from that of a Vijay and the mouting is different. I had to make two new holes in the Vijay taillamp to fix it.

If u see the unrestored pictures, the two brass bolts u see are the ones used to fix the box/bag in the front. I closed that so that I can have a cleaner look. Im trying to fix this like the way the mesh boxes were fit for lambretta. I need to make clamps for that. Im enjoying the present look, so I have put off fixing the box now. It looks quite good though.

As for the spares, thanks for the offer. Ive stocked up quite a bit including a new cylinder and piston. Please do check on the gear box items though for me including the gear selecter. Please check also for these parts: Speedometer glass, dial, ring; headlight unit, taillight unit, plastic collar.

Thank you
Old 17th August 2010, 21:36   #580
BHPian

Layzone,
Why dont you post a few pictures of your newly started restoration and brief the same? Posts some updates.
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:32   #581
BHPian

Cento

If you guys dont mind me asking, whats a Cento doing here, she has her own designated place..

By the Way she's simply BEAutiful ; Great job TuffyRyder
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:24   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
If you guys dont mind me asking, whats a Cento doing here, she has her own designated place..

By the Way she's simply BEAutiful ; Great job TuffyRyder
Ah!! There are loads of threads here buddy. I just thought I'd put it in the basic one. Since it is already posted here, I think it should remain. Sorry I dint put it in the cento thread.

Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

Cheers mate.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:48   #583
BHPian

Sorry for going completely off-topic here, but I dont know if anybody noticed the motorcycle in the background of this pic posted by Tuffryder:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-imag0037.jpg

Looks somewhat like a Honda CB. Tuffryder, details please, if you dont mind!!!

Cheers
Rahul
Old 28th August 2010, 23:28   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Um, why not?? A Cento too is afterall from the Lambretta family originally!

Anyways, here is a mk2 LD just bought by a friend who's an avid Lambretta collector. He plans to start restoring it sometime soon.

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_7369.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_7370.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_7371.jpg
Old 30th August 2010, 21:15   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Sorry for going completely off-topic here, but I dont know if anybody noticed the motorcycle in the background of this pic posted by Tuffryder:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-imag0037.jpg

Looks somewhat like a Honda CB. Tuffryder, details please, if you dont mind!!!

Cheers
Rahul
Rahul: That one is a 1971(?) Honda 350 Four. Beautiful machine. Bliss to ride that and hear the four cylinders roar out of one pipe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks