Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restored my 1963 Jawa 353!

This is a great restoration , many congratulations, I am also searching for my dad's old Yezdi 1977 Model, we sold it in 1995, 20 years back !
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoze View Post
Thanks, manishalive. I'm actively looking for an option. The best, as I have said earlier, would be to buy a new one but even cleaning up the faceplate, if I find someone who can do it, will be helpful.

I also noticed one thing in my existing speedo, it's from 0 - 80 mph. The very few ones I saw online are from 0 - 90 mph. I am wondering how this happened.
You can easily find guys restoring old speedometers but as karlos suggested you can leave them as well. For the parts you can check facebook guy - spares spareonation or look for ebay.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
your bike looks beautiful and it is a wonderful restoration job. How was the engine and gear box before restoration and did you work on them?
Varun: I pretty much had to restore or source everything from nuts to bolts. The gears have been retained, since they are original and my dad instructed the mechanic not to touch them and kept telling me make sure he does not swap Before restoration, the bike had a Yezdi block with 1 oversize piston. I had to run a lot to find this new block piston that's on it now. The shop in Pune cheated me and refused to take his piece back. So I'm stuck it a cheap quality block and piston. I finally found a new one from a veteran mechanic in Dahisar, Mumbai. The carb is Jikov, magnet came off an original Jawa coil, and I had to get a replacement coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun_k_g View Post
Congrats, Great job. Appreciate your effort, this really requires a lot of hard work.

How much did you spent to bring it back to this condition?
Mithun: Thanks for your kind words. Let's just say upwards of 50K. Bombay is not a cheap place

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
This is a great restoration , many congratulations, I am also searching for my dad's old Yezdi 1977 Model, we sold it in 1995, 20 years back !
I hope that bike is still being maintained by the person who bought it from you. It's a different thrill riding these machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
You can easily find guys restoring old speedometers but as karlos suggested you can leave them as well. For the parts you can check facebook guy - spares spareonation or look for ebay.
Thanks, Manish. I'll certainly check this recommendation on facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm travelling for a bit, but once I'm back I will scan you a copy of the manual (assuming you don't have one that is).

Attachment 1388487
Thanks, karlosdeville. I would love to get access to one. Please do scan and send it at your convenience. I'll color print and bind it.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th September 2015 at 20:50. Reason: Posts merged.
hanoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. It feels great to see the spirit of the thread. And hats off to your father's spirit who went with his entire family to Goa on a Jawa !!! You surely are a lucky family.
I know so many people who, in your place, have just called a kabariwala.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Good for you. Atleast there is a chance of tracing the bike. Im desperately looking for my dad's lost / misplaced Rajdoot. But no luck as yet. Good luck to you.

Quote:
The shop in Pune cheated me and refused to take his piece back. So I'm stuck it a cheap quality block and piston.
Most mechanics are the same. Had similar experiences.

Good luck, do take out the bike and enjoy the curious stares you get.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. It feels great to see the spirit of the thread. And hats off to your father's spirit who went with his entire family to Goa on a Jawa !!! You surely are a lucky family.
I know so many people who, in your place, have just called a kabariwala.
Thanks, Sudipto. A correction though, the Jawa was put on a boat (those days there used to be these boats to Goa) and then was used in the city. Bombay to Goa 2 adults and 2 kids on a Jawa would have been a bit too much to ask for

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Most mechanics are the same. Had similar experiences.

Good luck, do take out the bike and enjoy the curious stares you get.
This Pune guy was not a mechanic, but runs a spare parts store and claims to specialize in old bikes. But i don't trust the quality of his goods at all now.

And yes, I do get curious stares and love every bit of that moment

Last edited by aah78 : 15th September 2015 at 20:50. Reason: Posts merged.
hanoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:03   #22
BHPian

@hanoze : Great job done and the motorcycle is looking awesome.

Could some one explain to me on the intake manifold design on the motorcycle. To me it looks like it is opening into the base of the cylinder.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Superb restoration sir. It beat the Quality of job of Mysore/Bangalore (as it is famous for Yezdi/Jawas). Upword of 50K is reasonable considering Mumbai, they are charging almost the same in Tire 2 cities now.

Hope you have taken care of RTO (FC) part, i got my 1981 Yezdi RTO formalities done which was pending since 1990 . Spent about Rs 3.5K for FC/Insurance etc.

The 15 Year old vehicle Ban has it been applied in Metros ?, dont know the status as i have few of them.

Do use it regularly & have lots of fun. Little careful during night riding considering head light brightness.

Ananth
Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 15:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:

I would also welcome suggestions on sourcing some more parts, especially the speedometer (mph) which has been the most difficult piece to procure. I did read one member's post sourcing the original mph meter from ebay but even that's sold out now.

I hope you like these pictures and I would really love to hear your comments.
Lovely restoration job. i have a contact in Madurai who is a mechanic. He has a few Yezdis. i can try reaching him if you need anything specific. He has moved onto new gen bikes. so not sure if he would still have spare parts. nonetheless worth a try.
Do you ride this bike often?
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 17:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hope you have taken care of RTO (FC) part, i got my 1981 Yezdi RTO formalities done which was pending since 1990 . Spent about Rs 3.5K for FC/Insurance etc.
Thanks, Ananth

I've started the process of getting all papers in order. Getting an agent is the best way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Lovely restoration job. i have a contact in Madurai who is a mechanic. He has a few Yezdis. i can try reaching him if you need anything specific. He has moved onto new gen bikes. so not sure if he would still have spare parts. nonetheless worth a try.
Do you ride this bike often?
Thanks, FuelInjector. At the moment I'm only looking for the original mph speedometer. If by any chance this mechanic has one then it would be great.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th July 2015 at 17:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 26th July 2015, 07:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Love the "nazar utaarne ke liye" part.

One question I had, do you recommend I use Nulon mixed with petrol along with my regular 2T oil (which currently is 50ml/ltr)

Thanks
Hanoze
Me loves the quote too Karl.

Nulon - to be added (full dabba) to 10 litres petrol and 500ml oil (preferably Castrol 20w50). Then you ride for at least 50km. Cool bike down for 30 min. Ride again for 50km, cool and so on.
Nulon is an additive that coats your piston and block and reduces clearance. So the cooling down procedure is required for the coating to happen. Every time you stop a new layer forms. Reducing the clearance, leads to better sound from bike and more lubrication that is not wasted.
ShaSun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 08:51   #27

You have done an excellent job. Kudos for that. But I believe the rear hub is not original. Try to find a Milling type hub, which came in your model.
Deva Nandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 16:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSun View Post
Me loves the quote too Karl.

Nulon - to be added (full dabba) to 10 litres petrol and 500ml oil (preferably Castrol 20w50). Then you ride for at least 50km. Cool bike down for 30 min. Ride again for 50km, cool and so on.
Nulon is an additive that coats your piston and block and reduces clearance. So the cooling down procedure is required for the coating to happen. Every time you stop a new layer forms. Reducing the clearance, leads to better sound from bike and more lubrication that is not wasted.
Thanks, ShaSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva Nandan View Post
You have done an excellent job. Kudos for that. But I believe the rear hub is not original. Try to find a Milling type hub, which came in your model.
That's a good catch, Deva. The one that I have right now came in the later models.
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@hanoze :
Could some one explain to me on the intake manifold design on the motorcycle. To me it looks like it is opening into the base of the cylinder.
Bump

Yezdi/ Jawa experts ? anyone ?
Old 15th September 2015, 18:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Bump

Yezdi/ Jawa experts ? anyone ?
The manifold that you are referring to is actually the cover for the concealed carb.
silvr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks