Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 16:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
The only problem is, I cannot recognize many of those parts which come inside the engine (some particular gear wheel or something else). And of course the parts lot is in Kochi and I'm usually in Bangalore. So if you can post a picture of something you really need, I can definitely check out
Will definitely let you know with pics. For now if you can check out the first pic which I have uploaded, check the front wheel, Do you see the missing brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hi Twinn,
Great job on the restoration journey of Bobby.
If you can visit Metro Spare Parts shop in Ramkote , Hyderabad..Most of Bobby parts are available there.
I source most of parts for my Bobby from there. All spares are available at very reasonable cost.
Bobby was the very first bike I restored in 2006 and it was in same stage as you began and I spent totally 9k including Paint Job and new tyres !!! Below is my Blue Thunder a.k.a 1982 Bobby.
Im horrified to see the spares cost so high !!
Good Luck with your restoration.

BTW..Najaf Ali stays quarter mile from my house. He is a reasonable person to deal with.
Thanks Hillram, I tried the metro folks, they said they do not have any parts now. Your restoration cost is really quite reasonable. My cost is double that you have mentioned. Nice bike you have, its really a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow great. I see the nice effort that your are doing replicating the missing parts. Way to go. Eagerly awaiting for the end result.
Thanks Manish
----------------------------------------

Update as of now, got the vehicle out from the tinker. This is how the vehicle looks like after the fabrications
Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img20130627wa000.jpg
Twinn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 00:04   #17
BHPian

You're almost there i should admit. However, the shape of the tank is still not perfect. I would suggest you to search & find an OE one. Until then, this one would do. The silencer shields etc are all just perfect. Some adjustment is needed at rear shock up height too. Something weird there.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
You're almost there i should admit. However, the shape of the tank is still not perfect. I would suggest you to search & find an OE one. Until then, this one would do. The silencer shields etc are all just perfect. Some adjustment is needed at rear shock up height too. Something weird there.
Yup. The tank has come out perfect. Will post the pics of the tank separately. Went over to few painters and asked for a quotes, AGAIN its was like . So finally I decided that I will complete the reset of the work at my den.

Got few cans of paints. Stripped the vehicle to bare chassis, first used a red colored based primer. Since the color chosen for the bike is Orange red and black.
The only two parts that will be Chome plated is the silencer and the tank plates.
FEW WIP pics.
Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070200318.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070300324.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070300323.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070300322.jpg
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 22:13   #19
BHPian

Pics of the tank as promised.. Plus few others also.. Hope my landlord does not turn up to my house for inspection. The house is like a mini garage for now:-D

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_220909.png
Views: 6540
Size:  612.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_220952.png
Views: 6387
Size:  624.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_221008.png
Views: 6202
Size:  594.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_221053.png
Views: 6215
Size:  614.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_221111.png
Views: 6157
Size:  599.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130713_221313.png
Views: 6248
Size:  579.6 KB
Twinn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 12:19   #20
BHPian

Few more updates. Things are going quite slow as I am struck up in office most of the day. I started applying the first coat of orange to the body panels. The color has come out nice.

having some glitches with the Clamps on the tank. The clamps are misaligned, so for that the tank looks like its seated in a slant position. I will have to fix it up before I start painting the tank.

The drums, silencer and tank shields have gone for electro-plating and buffing. will be receiving it by today or tmrw.

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070900004.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070900005.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070900003.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070900002.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013070900003.jpg

Last edited by Twinn : 16th July 2013 at 12:24.
Twinn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 10:58   #21
BHPian

Few Developments from my end.
  • Got the Parts Buffed and chromed. Kind of looks quite cool in fact.
  • Tried my hands on painting the tires white.
  • As of now the body panel paints are getting dried up.
  • Held back on the rear shocks setup, the previous owner has welded a bolt on to the shock mounts and the shocks that I have bought looks like its missing the height factor.
Pics of of the nuts and Bolts
Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013072100011.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013072200013.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013072200013_1.jpg
Pic of how the GTS shaping up + My garage/Room

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013072500014.jpg
Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013072500015.jpg
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 13:16   #22
BHPian

Hello Twinn,
I have been following this thread since day 1. You are very lucky to have such a skilled welder who is able to fabricate almost everything from ashes. Have you found the back plate for the front brake. If not, this is a small suggestion from my side. As the rims & front brake drum look very similar to the Lambrettas, why not try out a Lambretta back plate and see if it does the job? BTW, are those NBC bearings for the front wheels? Are they 6201?
White paint of this kind does not stick to the tyre for long. Look for white wall inserts if you are so tempted.

Last edited by ilangop : 26th July 2013 at 13:19.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 13:31   #23
BHPian

Yes. White wall inserts are easily available off the shelf. just get 2 pairs and insert them.

In between, which bikes' shock-ups are those? They look good on bobby for sure. Please share the part number too. Will be helpful for other bobby owners too.

Last edited by aruncheloor : 26th July 2013 at 13:33.
aruncheloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 18:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maan gaye Amrth bhai, You have come a long way !
I still kick myself for modifying my Bobby with front Yamaha lights and indicators on front and back

Arrey,
can you send me side rubbers and monogram through courier ? going home on August 6-7, will carry them.....

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:15   #25
BHPian

awesome man! i have seen only one GTS till date, when I was a kid and was very curious about knowing if it was meant for kids like me. and you have gone for a restsoration, hats off!!!
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 14:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
As the rims & front brake drum look very similar to the Lambrettas, why not try out a Lambretta back plate and see if it does the job? BTW, are those NBC bearings for the front wheels? Are they 6201?
White paint of this kind does not stick to the tyre for long. Look for white wall inserts if you are so tempted.
Ilan - Thanks fro the info, yes that is my last option for the drum plates. But I believe is needs some alteration.

The bearing no is 6202. Yes NBC bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Yes. White wall inserts are easily available off the shelf. just get 2 pairs and insert them.
In between, which bikes' shock-ups are those? They look good on bobby for sure. Please share the part number too. Will be helpful for other bobby owners too.
Each inserts cost 400 rs man!! Will check out the final outcome and then decide if I need to keep the White walls.

The front Shocks are of M80
The Rear Shocks are of Honda Shine. I believe rear shocks needs to be replaced as the height is compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Maan gaye Amrth bhai, You have come a long way !
Arrey,
can you send me side rubbers and monogram through courier ? going home on August 6-7, will carry them.....

Shubhendra
Shuben Bhai, will call you for the info. Text me your mail address, I shall send them to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
awesome man! i have seen only one GTS till date, when I was a kid and was very curious about knowing if it was meant for kids like me. and you have gone for a restoration, hats off!!!
Thanks man, its a costly affair thou.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:39   #27
BHPian

Sometimes your heart shouts louder than your pocket. Although a costly affair, it's worth it.
Old 5th August 2013, 15:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Amrth bhai,
any update on progress? cant wait to see the end result.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Shuben Saar -- Yes I have some great updates.

BTW the B type we were restoring also got completed, more updates on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ic-b-type.html

Coming back to my GTS track.

The biggest blunder that I did was the selection of metal paint for brushing purpose. I realized that the can's were getting emptied sooner than I expected and thinking about availability of the paint cans, I thought of a novel way to complete the paint. I went in for a paint booth and got 300 ml of metal paint and a paint brush, with some accessories.

What happened next is history!!!

So as per the plan I wanted to paint the parts first using a brush and then spray them for final two coats. For beginners it was great, the brush paint struck on to the metal and the color also came out great, but there were brush marks. . After the brush paint dried, I started to spray and immediately noticed the paint crumbling. This happened continuously for 15days. I had to admit defeat to the paint cans and then got a painter to complete the job

Finally got all the painted parts, buffed parts back from the city!! and then started off with the assembly since last two days.Its quite back breaking and frustrating as the last mins details and small parts disappearing is nerve wreaking

BTW my fiance is also helping me assemble the bike at my place. So I have 2 soft hands and 2 rough for the job. Did some pin striping today morning before hopping on to office. Hope to completing within a day or two.
Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013080700032.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013080700035.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013080800038.jpg

Restoring a Rajdoot GTS (a.k.a. Bobby)-img2013080700034.jpg

Here are few pics
Old 10th August 2013, 09:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post

BTW my fiance is also helping me assemble the bike at my place. So I have 2 soft hands and 2 rough for the job. Did some pin striping today morning before hopping on to office. Hope to completing within a day or two.

Here are few pics
wow, a fiance going into that room is unbelievable. Helping out is out of this world!

All the best for your bobby! shaping up well!
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks