Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 14:36   #1
BHPian

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration

After a few months of work, here are the results of my restoration of a For Anglia.

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-01.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-02.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-03.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-04.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-05.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-06.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-07.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-08.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-09.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-10.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th February 2012 at 15:59. Reason: Fixing attachments
Ford 1946 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1946 Ford Anglia Restoration

Very nice, is this the first car you have restored. Can you share with us research, before pictures etc. Again a very nice clean job, looks very period.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:48   #3
BHPian

Thats a very very nice restoration!!!!! Clean bodyline, superb paintwork, very well done interiors, absolutely brilliant! Do post some pre restoration pictures for a comparsion. Also if you could post some pictures of the restoration would be nice, especially the technical details of paint used, from where the interiors were redone, parts were sourced etc etc..
This would help others on this forum!
Once again, a great job!
Old 9th February 2012, 17:06   #4
BANNED

Thats a Fantastic restoration

Nice paint job, clean body lines.

Did the car initially came in a good condiition ?

Can we have some restoration pics of this car.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is a very nice restoration.Paint job is outstanding and the interiors are pristine.Great job.Congratulations.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Thats a very clean restoration. Another classic bought back to life. Did you get to work on the engine and mechanicals? Please share details.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:30   #7
BHPian

Great work mate - absolutely amazing!
some pics of restoration process would be great!! and yes also the pics before restoration!!
Old 9th February 2012, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Thank You all for the words of appreciation, I am relatively new to the site and was introduced to it by a colleague of mine who happens to be doing up his 1950 mouse also featured here on this site.
This is my first car and I have been on the lookout for a classic / vintage for a while, this one just happened to fall into my hands as it was being sold by a friends dad. The car was from Mysore and has been around the country ( with an air force officer ) who was the previous and second owner.
I picked up this car in July last year and had to tow it home as it had not been used for a while, after that started the search for someone to fix it. Initially all I heard were horror stories on how difficult it was to get these old cars back on the road. In late July there was an antique rally here in Chennai which I visited and got to see quite a few really well restored cars. On making a few enquiries I was directed to the gentleman who finally restored the car.
My interest in old cars goes back to my childhood, when I used to sit at the mechanic shed while our old ambassador was being fixed. Later I used to mess around with fixing small things myself on the car and my motorbike. Now with my work schedule being what it is doing anything mechanical was out of the question and anyway there is not much you can do with the modern cars.
The plan when I picked up the car was for me to try and do the work myself, that plan did not go very far as I soon figured that doing a restoration and messing around with a bit of mechanical stuff was a totally different ball game.
In August last year I decided to go with my restorer after seeing the type of work he did, after a long six months and a lot of searching for parts and many trips across town and ferrying parts from the U.K the results are well worth it.
Will keep posting on the restoration process . Unfortunately I have lost all my data (pics of the before and during), will post if I can retrieve them. Was silly not to keep a backup.
Ford 1946 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:22   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford 1946 View Post
Thank You all for the words of appreciation, I am relatively new to the site and was introduced to it by a colleague of mine who happens to be doing up his 1950 mouse also featured here on this site.
There.. There. I caught you

I was wondering all this while once this Thread came online, those Lovely meter's were in fact overhauled by Ramesh Bhai, and i remember having seen those meters in awful condition some time back, but could not catch the missing link.

Nice to see the car in its present condition Captain.
Old 10th February 2012, 07:55   #10
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well restored car. The absence of bling enables us to appreciate the car even more. The restoration shows your keen eye and desire keep originality as far as possible.. Well done

Sad that you have lost the pre-restoration pictures.

By the way, in Bangalore there is a similar car but a tourer, owned by a KVCCC member.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 10th February 2012 at 07:57.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:11   #11
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2012 at 11:54.
imperial.s.a is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th February 2012, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Yes Pavan the meters were done by Ramesh after Joy got the contact details from you, Thanks.
Once i got the car and decided to do it up i started searching on the net to find out all about the Anglia. Bought a book called "English & Australian Small Ford Recognition and Restoration" which gives a lot of details on all small fords down to their chassis and engine nos, how to diffrentiate between the different types, and even the different series of keys (the nos are stamped on the barrel of the ignition key). It also gives the colour and the codes for the paints used at that time also the different types of upholstry used. Photographs of the interior found in the book helped a lot in achieving the results you see in the photographs of the car as it is now.

To be very honest, the car was in pretty good shape for its age and was not like a lot of the rust buckets you find. ( seen some at the restorer which are in a really bad shape). First we got the car running and the engine sounded good, so no major work has been done on the engine. The car like most (if not all) of that period was a 6 volt system and was a bit of a problem. we could not get a proper battery built and then my restorer said that suggested that we change it to a 12 volt. In the meantime going against the advice of some friends I asked for the car to be stripped and work to be started on the restoration, there was not much rust and only minor tinkering had to be done.

The painting work started soon after but was not done the way i wanted ( stripped down to the metal and started again like I saw being done on the mouse, yes Pavan have been following the progress closley) as for the details on the paint type i will have to check with the painter. Am very happy with the results of the painting but my concern was for how long will it look this way if it was not stripped down totally. I guess only time will tell.

Need to go now more later .
Ford 1946 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 13:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely restored car, would really like to see pictures of her as bought.
If cars are very rusty, one should scrape down and cut out all the rust, on the other hand if the car has a lot of original paint on it, the restoration should be "sympathetic". These cars were unloved for a while as with Austin and Morris's, but now they too are being appreciated. And she is a door sedan.
I am not quite clear, did you convert her to 12 volts? 6 V batteries are available in Mumbai, have to be ordered. But with 12 V you may feel more comfortable, specially if the car were not to be used regularly.
Very nice, and please do post pictures prior to restoration.

Cheers harit
Old 10th February 2012, 13:50   #14
BHPian

That's a really good restoration on the car. The Anglia has been done up so well that you pick up the small details when you see the pics which may otherwise have been marred by an over the top job. The dash looks so elegant and tastefully done, as do the interiors. And I'm glad you stuck to a single tone colour scheme. I have seen a couple of Anglias with 2 tone colours but thought it never suited these cars.

Great job and enjoy your wonderful car. And more details please.

Cheers
mbz180
Old 10th February 2012, 16:39   #15
BHPian

Thanks for all the compliments, the paint work was not the original as the previous owner had painted it twice and it was a light grey when I got it. I chose the present colour as in the words of Henry Ford " you can have any colour as long as its Black"
The painter also did not think that it was necessary to go down to the metal, he only said that the preparation had to be done well or the new paint would react with the old causing a cracking effect, something which happened in places and had to be redone.
As regards the battery, it is now a 12v system although we have kept the meters and trafficators on 6v by using a step down circuit.
I guess I was lucky with this car as most parts are easily available from the UK. All the rubber parts and tyres along with a fuel pump and hub caps I got from Small Ford Parts UK. The next place where most parts which are no longer manufactured can be found is on EBay UK. Sometimes parts are at a fraction of the price that you pay for at the store.
Ford 1946 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks