Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 17:28   #121
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hey Sushil
It seems quite late to respond but better late than never.
Few possessions become part of our growing and an inseparable part of it.
Its a very heart touchy restoration, you made me nostalgic and miss my dad's Bajaj.
Anyways will follow yours
Wish you all the very best in the whole process!

Hi Mate,
Thanks for the encouragement. Its indeed a project which is very close to my heart. Glad to know that you felt nostalgic about your father's bajaj, do you still have it? whats its story do share it with me. Welcome to this thread.Take Care and Keep Smiling always.

Hi Sushil, believe since you have taken immense care and interest in restoring your scooter, its better to get the painting done in the original paint scheme- body coloured drums and wheel discs.May it will be a bit taxing, but will be worth it simply for the original looks.Cheers and Best wishes!

Hi Anjan Sir,
Appreciate your inputs indeed, just had a doubt if the rear brake drum was also in body colour or was it in silver colour as when I spoke to my mechanic he said it was silver colour and the reason why both of them are painted in same colour is to maintain uniformity among the drums.

Kindly throw some light on this please.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 12th September 2011, 19:25   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hey Sushil
Hi Anjan Sir,
Appreciate your inputs indeed, just had a doubt if the rear brake drum was also in body colour or was it in silver colour as when I spoke to my mechanic he said it was silver colour and the reason why both of them are painted in same colour is to maintain uniformity among the drums.

Kindly throw some light on this please.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi Sushil, in fact both the wheel discs and drums were in body colour. There was no silver paint used then on the Bajaj 150. Wishing you again all the best for the restoration!Best wishes and Cheers!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 00:30   #123
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

No Sushil, we don't have it with us now but I have memories of it from our early years in Delhi bak in 80s. It was our weekend ride. Well it must b resting at some mechanic friend's yard.
Anyways friend you keep up with your nostalgia, good luck and God bless you!
Old 13th September 2011, 12:53   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi Priyadarshan.

Good that you are getting prepared for the restoration job thoroughly, appreciate it indeed. Good to know that your scooters are in good condition. Not to contradict what you are saying but when you start the restoration hope the mechanic also feels the same.For example my father's scooter was also in decent condition before I started the restoration its only after I started off that I came to know that there was trouble lying ahead and decided to do a thorough job as once restored I need not look at it for a long time. So do not worry if you are not able to restore her immediately as I know if does take time for things to materialize. In fact you will not believe I was planning for this restoration for the last 2 years but it got materialized only now. hope it gets completed as expected. So whenever you start ensure that you leave no stones unturned. Like what Anjan sir says and I quote"restoration of a classic is a life long process. we always have somethings to improve on " All the best brother. This is something I learnt from my close friend who is also a mechanic in Bhopal "Jaldee ka kaam shaitaan a kaam hota hain"

Thanks for the best wishes for the remaining work , I need everyones best wishes now more than ever and moving towards the completion of the project.

regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi Sushil,

Thanks for the heartfelt words.. They do mean a lot to me. Patience is the key. I must wait for the right opportunity to start. And you are right about surprises. I should not assume that everything is just great with my machines.. By the way the colour looks totally awesome.. Waiting for the assembly to start.

Priyadarshan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Priyadarshan, though I do not consider myself an expert, but as far as my memory goes, the combination you have asked for, I believe never came in any Indian (meant for export too) Bajaj Chetak.The first Chetak ever I saw was in early 1975 (one of the first ever) - a tomato red one, that Bajaj Auto had presented its local dealer with.Its stepney was located within its rear left side body cover, that was the storage space in the Super and the later Chetaks.This was much like the LML Vespas.The body was tomato red and the wheel discs silver coloured.The fit and finish was awesome.The taillight was like the export quality Chetaks and not like the one you have queried.It had a single long seat and not the 2 seat configuration as in the Indian market.Thereafter, in 1977, 78 and later ,the TIME magazine featured Chetak advertisements regularly and I have posted some of these on the advertisement thread. The whole shape is no different.But I do not have any news of how the Chetaks were between 1975 till 1977 and the benefit of doubt about the trapezoidal headlamp and the tail lamp bracket coming together, as you spoke of is always there.And after 1979 or so the Chetak was for all of us to see here in the Indian market.
Thank you Anjan sir for the information. Over the last weekend i met an old mechanic guy who also said the same things. In india the chetak was offerred with trapezoidal headlamp and Bajaj super like tail lamp. And the models with tail lamp bracket, side indicators and round head lamp were meant for exports only. Only yesterday evening i happaned to see a chetak with original trapezoidal headlamp and original tomato red colour as well. That colour looks really nice. I intend to get my chetak painted in the same colour once i get it.

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 13:35   #125
BHPian

Sushil, the scooter looks great! I am sure it will look even better when I see it in person. The mobile cam does not capture images in their full glory. Hope it should be ready by this weekend.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:06   #126
BHPian

I recognise that front mudguard. Its the same as the one on my Allwyn Pushpak.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:24   #127
BHPian

Hi Sushil,

Has the assembly started? eagarly waiting for more updates..

Priyadarshan
Old 15th September 2011, 18:25   #128
BHPian

Sushil, the scooter looks great! I am sure it will look even better when I see it in person. The mobile cam does not capture images in their full glory. Hope it should be ready by this weekend.

Hi Rahul bhai,
Thanks for the compliment, yes it will look even better once assembled and when you take its snaps.My mechanic is sleeping over it seems he is busy at the moment with loads of scooters coming to him for servicing and stuff like that. Yesterday evening I had been to him and gave him a piece of my mind. he has told me that the work should begin on monday and should be completed by thursday. says just waiting to finish these temporary tasks sos that he can give undivided attention to the reassembly of the scooter.

I recognise that front mudguard. Its the same as the one on my Allwyn Pushpak.

Hi Mitch,
Welcome to the thread and thanks for letting me know the above.
In fact saw the pictures of your restored vijay super. its awesome

Hi Priyadarshan,

The assembly is yet to start , I guess once the engine overhauling is completed and fitted the rest of the things falls in place. hope he starts on monday.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 19th September 2011, 20:02   #129
BHPian

Hi all I had been to the mechanic's shop with an eager feeling to see if the engine work has been started, But to my disappointment the shop was closed on account of the Telangana Bandh, Hope he starts tomorrow. keeping Fingers crossed Regards Sushil Narayanan
Old 21st September 2011, 19:10   #130
BHPian

Hi all I am back with the updates. Had been to the mechanic today and was pleased to know that he has collected the engine after the buffing work also all the parts like kick lever, Fan cover, gear box cover etc which had to be chromed have been collected , he has also collected the bearings the crank shaft the new piston block The only thing remaining next is to put them together which he assures will be started in next 2 -3 days and says that maximum in 1 week the vehicle should be complete. he says that is going slow as he wants to leave no stones unturned. lets see what is in store once the project is completed. however took some initial pictures of the engine after the completion of lathe work and the buffing looks impressive. I am uploading some pictures for you all enjoy...

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-284.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-285.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-286.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-287.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-288.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-289.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-290.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-291.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-292.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-293.jpg

Sorry did not take the pictures of all the chromed parts totally slipped my mind . But now on second thoughts I feel that I will keep it as a surprise for the end and will be revealing once the scooter is fully assembled... Till then keep watching this space.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 21st September 2011 at 19:11. Reason: correction
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 19:50   #131
BHPian

Finally some progress.. Even i am getting impatient to see the final assembly after all this work done. I can understand what you must be feeling.. All the best..

Priyadarshan
Old 24th September 2011, 19:45   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Finally some progress.. Even i am getting impatient to see the final assembly after all this work done. I can understand what you must be feeling.. All the best..

Priyadarshan

Hi Priyadarshan,

Thanks for the post, In fact last week I almost gave a piece of my mind to my mechanic. He has been sitting on the job.though claims has been forced to because of the bandh and stuff like that .Today When I had been to him in the morning, He said hopefully the engine assembly should start today if not definitely on Monday. Really getting impatient but I do not want to spoil up things by making a tiff with him. hopefully he completes the project next week.

Also am looking for a chrome horn cover, and front mudguard fish. let me know where can I source them from? seems old shops in koti do not have them in stock.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 24th September 2011, 21:15   #133
BHPian

Hi all,

while I await my project to be completed, found the video on you tube which shows us the Vespa scooter museum in Italy, This also has images of how original scooters used to look which can be helpful reference for others taking up restoration projects. As a result posted on my restoration thread. Also very informative about the various vespa models.

Enjoy folks.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 24th September 2011 at 21:16. Reason: addition
Old 26th September 2011, 18:22   #134
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I had been to the mechanic today to see if he has started the work. i was surprised the Engine overhauling work has been started which should be hopefully completed in two days. today the cleaning and washing of all the parts of the engine has been completed. and the engine chamber has been given to the lathe guy for changing the foundation bushes which should be back by 9PM today. Tomorrow the assembling process starts.. He has advised to go for a brand new original gearbox to further enhance the life because he saw some amount of play in the lever inside the gearbox. Anyway that is one decision I have left to him as the work will only be done once so better do it properly.
Another area of concern is the petrol tank which seems has accumulated rust because of prolonged exposure to natural elements which also will be looked into.Request inputs on how this rust inside can be got rid off ?
Nevertheless I am happy that Slowly but steadily the project is moving towards completion. today also got the Center stand painted from the painter and am getting the seat frame painted after repairing the same.

Enclosing pictures for you all...

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-294.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-295.jpg

Notice the new shining piston and the shining crankshaft including the new bearing in it.

Will be back with more updates tomorrow.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 4th October 2011, 14:39   #135
BHPian

Good to see that the work started on the assembly. Any prgress during last week??

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks