Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 10:36   #16
BHPian

Good write up ajmat, is there any dealer who would do a good job in installing a sun-roof in a Fortuner?
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Yes, there's a shutter under the glass

I have no experience with aftermarket sunroofs. In standard factory-fitted ones, there is a shutter under the glass sunroof. It can opened up independently, with the glass kept closed (that's how some of the photos above were taken).

In summer/ hot-sunny days, you'll keep the glass and the shutter closed.
That's the way a sunroof stays most of the time in our cities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb007 View Post
First of all nice and detailed review about the sunroof ajmat.

I have only one question in mind that do these luxury SUV's like Audi Q7, BMW X6, X5, X1 and Merc. etc. have proper metal penalling beneath the glass? Like the normal car roof. For example in peak summers if anybody don't want to sunrays and heat enter in the care that can be closed and be used as a normal car, because if not provided don't you think the AC will be having additional load of heat coming from the roof of the car.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:45   #18
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Won't opening the windows slightly serve the same purpose?

No,Opening windows won't have the same effect. density of hot air is less compared to the cold one. So the hot air will stay near roof and cold air will be near the floor( that's why freezer in refrigerator is always placed on top, for circulation of air). Opening of the windows will not remove much quantity of hot air unless the car is in motion. Opening of sunroof & windows results in movement of hot air from roof to atmosphere and and fresh air from atmosphere to inside through windows.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:56   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
No,Opening windows won't have the same effect. density of hot air is less compared to the cold one. So the hot air will stay near roof and cold air will be near the floor( that's why freezer in refrigerator is always placed on top, for circulation of air). Opening of the windows will not remove much quantity of hot air unless the car is in motion. Opening of sunroof & windows results in movement of hot air from roof to atmosphere and and fresh air from atmosphere to inside through windows.
How many centimeters between the top of the window & the roof?

Also take a look at Google
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice informative writeup.
My earlier Mazda 626 had a sunroof (used a lot while visiting jungles, national parks etc in US - nice way to take pictures), and my i10 also has one (used primarily for show off and a nice way to polish/wax the roof).
Old 3rd December 2010, 06:59   #21
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice informative article. Cant we use silicon grease to lubricating the channel to avoid the squeaking sound. I think service guys too use standard grease for lucubration.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How many centimeters between the top of the window & the roof?

Also take a look at Google
Ya right Carboy!

Have you seen a pressure cooker. Assuming you have, I wonder have you considered why the whistle is not on the extreme left or right top (After all "How many centimeters between the top of the cooker wall & the cooker roof"). My dear, as soon as you open a sun-roof or cooker whistle, the heat trapped escapes immediately and in a straight line. I agree if it is coupled with opening of side windows the process will be more comprehensive as the coller air will have a seperate inlet than the outlet used by hot gasses.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was contemplating installing a sunroof on my Accord in India. But Chennai made me forget about it. Now I have a factory fitted sunroof on the Jetta and I absolutely love it! Will never probably want one in India if I were to live in Chennai.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:00   #24
BHPian

I was generally under the impression that the sun roof is a sheer waste in Indian context. From your informative article, I could learn that it can be fun too. Thanks for the detailed write up.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:03   #25
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Sunroofs. India-specific Use and Maintenance Tips

I have a skoda octavia L&K 2004 which got sunroof stuck due to rust in the frame. Service guys at skoda saying to replace the whole thing which costs 50k. When i checked with a local workshop he said the problem is because the frame which slide the sunroof has been rusted ,we need to change the sunroof frame only ,rest all in good condition. any one has any idea where i can get the sunroof frame for skoda octavia and the cost?
Old 8th December 2010, 11:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
I have a skoda octavia L&K 2004 which got sunroof stuck due to rust in the frame. Service guys at skoda saying to replace the whole thing which costs 50k. When i checked with a local workshop he said the problem is because the frame which slide the sunroof has been rusted ,we need to change the sunroof frame only ,rest all in good condition. any one has any idea where i can get the sunroof frame for skoda octavia and the cost?
That is why it is recommended to open it once a week.
They normally sell the sunroof as a unit.
Try this first,

Remove the roof handles and peel the door beadings. slowly lower the roof lining from the back. Try spraying the slide mechanism and channels with WD40. Wait for 5 min and try and see whether the fluid had penetrated and movement is restored.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 14:18   #27
BHPian

i tried spraying with wd40 before itself. now the problem is very worse once you open it ,it won't close properly. its alignment has gone due to rusting. i think the frame is almost useless at one side. can u get me more detailed picture or a pdf file with the parts of sunroof for skoda?
Old 8th December 2010, 14:25   #28
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Sunroofs! India-specific Usage and Maintenance Tips

Thanks for the informative write up Ajmat.Good Work.
Old 8th December 2010, 14:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Had two cars with moon roofs (Accord EX and 325). Never knew they had drains for letting out the water since never faced any problems. Is this present in all cars?

EDIT: Found on googling, all cars have it, stupid me.

Last edited by srishiva : 8th December 2010 at 14:52.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:59   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the heads up ajmat! I had no clue that sunroofs had drainage systems and stuff! I always thought of them as something cool and never knew they had some key drawbacks!
Nice tips on how to get the most out of them too! Well written

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks