Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 17:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money

Our 2014 Honda Brio just crossed 50k kms and I thought now would be a good time to do a full repaint as the car had a lot of battle scars, which I was getting annoyed with. The OE colour is Rallye Red and will be painting the same shade as I didn't want to go with the hassle of changing the colour on the RC book.

The car will turn 8 in the end of October 2022 and I plan to keep the car as long as its mechanically possible

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_3697.jpg

Before sending it to paint. From far the small scratches (vandalism) and dents are not that visible but since every part of the car had developed some it was ideal to do a full body repaint and the OE factory finish anyway was nothing to talk about.

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_4469.jpg

This is the image I received today on the progress of the work done.

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-d8698d7e8ae14e35874672ea320122b9.jpg
SnS_12 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:07   #107
BHPian

Re: Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post

Thinking of below additional works,

1. Drive the car to Bangalore and get it transferred in my name, yes, have plans to take NoC from Faridabad, and re-register it in Bangalore in my name.
2. Full Body painting (now re-thinking since MGF Toyota took a lot of Vitamin M).
3. The transfer to Bangalore would cost about 50K, hence, am re-think on Full body painting, I hope we can find some good and genuine folks in Bangalore (similar to Heera Motors in Gurgaon).
4. Once, Painting is done, planning for a complete detailing.
5. Planning to switch from OEM stereo HU to some latest android or some other unit, though, this change now might need to wait 2-3 years,
6. Along with the HU, also plan to upgrade speakers and possible connect an AMP
Quick Update,

Bought the car to Bangalore in late 2021, drove all the way from Gurgaon-->Lucknow-->Allahabad-->Nagpur-->Hyderabad-->Bangalore.

It drove like a charm for all the 2800 KMs, gave about 14 kmpl and was very calm and composed all the way out.

Did 1 trip worth 1000 KMs Western Ghats (Mangalore, Udupi, Gokarna, etc...) and then to Mysore, Ooty, Coonor, etc.. and 2nd one to Mysore, Ooty, etc...

With Boot fully crammed up, fully loaded and Ghat sections, it still returned about 13.5 kmpl. It complied with great enthusiasm whenever I floored it seeing an empty section and reaching 100 kmph was easy...Brings me a great smile everytime I drive it.

Next target is to transfer it to BLR, considering its nearing 14 years, the stupid NGT rule will apply.

Some pics from the latest drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20220518-4.08.31-pm.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20220518-4.08.34-pm.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-image-1.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-image-2.jpeg  

shantanumishra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 23:50   #108
Senior - BHPian

The Brio is back and below are the final results 😃

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-b33eb451bf194c50a8e8b18830300f87.jpeg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-e0073840f68a432f979a9711dab90cae.jpeg
SnS_12 is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:09   #109
BHPian

This is honestly one of the really useful upgrades to my Swift that I should have attempted a long time ago and should help some of you who have older Maruti's that use the same fog light, Part # 35500M75J11 (A lot of them do). This is a must if you just want better illumination without blinding the guy on the opposite side of the road by shoving HID's or LED's in the stock housing.

This DIY started out as an exercise to clean and adjust the decade and a half old OE fogs as I was as good as blind driving in the dark even with 4300K HID's in the fogs (yeah, Bangalore is that bad).

The first step was to get the bumper off and thanks to Boodmo's OE catalogue figured out the location of the screws, Clips, and Bolts. I didn't want to remove the whole bumper as I had no idea how easy or tough it was going to be to put it back, so I started out removing stuff from one side and under the hood and voila managed to pull the bumper and create enough space to reach the fogs. The stock fog assembly is held in place with 3 Phillip's screws which was easy peasy to remove. The inside of the projectors had a fine film of dust which I first cleaned with a brush followed by a solution of diluted IPA. Feeling very pleased with myself I fitted back the first fog and repeated the steps on the other fog. Now to adjust these stupid fogs one needs to have a really long star screwdriver which goes through a tiny hole in the bottom of the bumper and if you have the luck of the Irish find the adjustment screw. It was only after swearing for a good 15 minutes that I figured out a much simpler way. The fogs are covered with a black trim piece from the front that pops out if you lever it from one side exposing a larger hole from which one can either use a stubby screwdriver (right side) or use ones fingers as a guide to for the long screwdriver to work from below (left side). Long story short, I managed to adjust my fogs to the point where I could see clearly but when I stepped out and looked at my car I was completely blinded by the overpowering fogs (sorry, forgot to take a pic).

Stupid me then realized I had a spare set of 3" Sinolyn Projectors that I had bought for my Linea, never used and stored away that I could maybe use if the supplied bracket matched the mounting holes in the bumper. So out came the Sinolyns, out came the bumper (again) and out came one fog assembly to check if the bracket would work. Superimposing the metal bracket on the OE foglight was a thank God moment, it was going to mount without any 'juggad'.

Once I knew that the bracket would fit adrenalin managed to get both projector fogs installed and aligned in 30 mins.

Tips:

1. Assemble the Bracket and Projector Fog assembly outside and then install. The Bracket I had could be fitted in a few ways so I checked which one suited my mounting points best and had the end of the projector sitting outside the external plastic trim for easy adjustment and also it looked better this way.

2. You will need to shave off two tabs on the bumper that slide into the OE fog. I did that with a heated blade cutter and made sure the bracket would sit on a smooth surface

3. I tightened the screws between projector and bracket fully but made sure that it had enough 'give' to be adjusted from outside with my hand.

The bottom line is I can now see what's in front of me without squinting at perpetual high beams, and I don't feel guilty about blinding the other guy with my projectors. The only negative, I need better headlights

I will now let the pics do the talking.

This is the OE fog that is used in several Marutis, Part # 35500M75J11 (Boodmo)
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-1a35500m75j11.jpg

Universal 3" Projector Units now readily available in India
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-1b-sinolynfog-1.jpg

Screws, Bolts and clips that need to be removed to remove the bumper. Also need to remove 4 clips that hold the fender liner in place (Credit : Boodmo)
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-2a.jpg

The Tabs on both sides that need to be cut for the bracket to fit flush, or if you don't want to do that you can trim the metal bracket to fit inside the tabs.
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-2b-pfbracket.jpg

Closeup of the how neatly the fog fits in the opening. Its not a flush fit like before but doesn't look odd
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-2c-pf.jpg

Adjusted throw of the OE fogs with 4300K HIDs. Notice the streaking and how high the throw goes
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-3-oldfog.jpg

Adjusted throw of the Projector fogs with 4300K HIDs. You can't tell in this pic but it has a sharp cut-off line and the throw is much longer
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-4-p-fog.jpg

The thank God moment
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-5-fogs-1.jpg

Poor pic, but shows the intensity of the fogs with just the parking lights on
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-9-fog-2.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 18:24   #110
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Our 2008 Honda City ZX has just had its registration renewed for another 5 years.

We bought the car pre-owned in 2013 with 75k on the odometer. The current odometer reading is 124k and counting. There are a few mechanical issues that need to be addressed, which are typical for any vehicle that is 15 years old and has more than 100k on the odometer.

Now I am faced with a dilemma of whether to sell it off and invest in another pre-owned car or give my trusty steed a makeover.

I have enquired with two famous car restorers on YouTube here in Pune, and I have received quotes of approximately INR 2,00,000 to repaint the entire car in its existing shade of Taffeta White, as well as customizing the interior with new seat covers, floor carpets, headliners, and an Android touch screen system. I am also thinking of upgrading the suspension and tires, which would add another 50-60k.

If I decide to sell the car, I could get somewhere around 1-1.2 lacs.

So, I wanted to ask, does it make sense to spend money on revamping the car, or should I sell it off, take the money, add another 3-4 lacs, and buy a pre-owned hatchback?

As stated above, as the registration is renewed, I am okay to drive the car for another 5 years.

Not looking to invest in a new car as I do not believe in spending 15-16lacs plus in a deprciating asset.

Sample quote for restoring as below -
  • Full car exterior paint in paint booth machine using German paint material in same color 68,500
  • Only Rooftop in Piano Black 4,500
  • Denting 7,500
  • Garnish Patti 3,000
  • Monogram set 1,500
  • Number plates 1,200
  • Std interior customisation package full Black swetproof Material 55,500
  • Wooden - Piano Black
  • Seats and Door Pad all black with suede material + back side Composite leather
  • Stich Black on Black
  • Roof top material change to black 10,000
  • 7D Matt - Black 7,800
  • Alloys -4 - 10,000
  • Caliper in Black 4 - 3000
  • Android Player(DHC Brand) with reverse camera 23500
  • Frame, canvas, adaptor and fitting 3500

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20230331-11.42.54-1.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20230331-11.42.54.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20230331-11.42.54-2.jpeg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-whatsapp-image-20230331-11.42.53.jpeg  

KaandBaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 19:37   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Hi Bhpians,

Our 2008 Honda City ZX has just had its registration renewed for another 5 years.

Please advise.

I have the same dilemma, My 2008 Corolla Altis is nearing its renewal in Nov and at 1.5L Kms drives like a dream machine, Mechanically all perfect except the steering rod ball joint getting lose, Service Centre says there is no need to change since it works perfectly except the noise since its got loose after 15 years of usage. I have recently done 700+ KMs of journeys and it worked flawlessly.

Few minor Dents around and I can get it painted (35K qouted by Go Mechanic)...Tried selling it, but not getting more than 1.7-1.8L and cant decide what to do.

Similar new car would now cost upwards of 30L and thats causing the Dilemma, since not sure when govt. bans cars >15 years India wide.

Suggestions, Thoughts?
Old 11th April 2023, 20:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Hi Bhpians,

Please advise.
No offence meant but 2.5 lakh, that too majorly on aesthetics, is a lot of money to spend on such an old vehicle. I'm really surprised that you're planning to shell out 90k+ for the exterior and 70k+ for the interior!

My advise would be to take quotes from places that are comparatively inexpensive and do decent work. Try to limit your expenditure to 80k or 1 lakh tops on exterior and interior. Don't account for ICE in this 1 lakh as it can be carried over to your next car. Spend/save the rest to keep the car mechanically solid over the next few years.

Last edited by self_driven : 11th April 2023 at 20:10.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 20:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest that you get a new car instead. We had the very same model (from 2006) and in the same condition as such (got it when it had done 91k kilometres). We sold it off in 2018. My personal experience says that even though the engine and the mechanicals are bullet proof, the body will start deteriorating. It happened in our car's case; and we sold it off when it had 118k on the odometer because we had a lot of rust in the underbody as well as in the boot space. If you ask me 2L is a high price to pay for a makeover of a car that has already done 125k kilometres. You can instead save this money and use this as a downpayment for a new car.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
No offence meant but 2.5 lakh, that too majorly on aesthetics, is a lot of money to spend on such an old vehicle. I'm really surprised that you're planning to shell out 90k+ for the exterior and 70k+ for the interior!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I would suggest that you get a new car instead. If you ask me 2L is a high price to pay for a makeover of a car that has already done 125k kilometres. You can instead save this money and use this as a downpayment for a new car.

Took suggestions from the forum & sold off the car to an individual for INR 85k.

And in next 5 days while searching for a replacement , found a Sept 2015, S-Scross 1.3 ZETA with just 43,XXX kms on the odometer. As the car had full service history & condidtion was good, didnt negotiate much. Final landing cost of the car - 6.05lacs.
KaandBaaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 00:33   #115

Seeking Ideas to Elevate the Charm of My Battle-Tested 8-Year-Old Fluidic Verna!

Hey fellow petrolheads!

I'm reaching out to the Team-BHP community for some much-needed inspiration and suggestions on how to breathe new life into my trusty companion, my near 8-year-old Fluidic Verna. Despite its age, this beast has clocked a modest 55k kilometers and continues to impress me with its performance. I'm eager to give it a fresh makeover and unleash its true potential.

So far, I've already taken the liberty of upgrading my headlights to LED, which has brought a whole new dimension to its lighting game. Additionally, I'm on the verge of upgrading my tires to maximize grip and handling. I'm confused between Continental UC6 and exploring the world of Michelin. Having read the thread on tires (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-tyres-41.html (Continental tyres)), I'm fairly convinced to give the UC6s a try.

But why stop there? There's always room for more enhancements, and that's where your expertise comes into play!

I'd love to hear your suggestions on other modifications and upgrades that could take my ride to the next level. Whether it's aesthetic or performance-oriented, I'm all ears! Feel free to let your imaginations run wild and recommend modifications that will make heads turn on the streets.

To provide some context, my Fluidic Verna is a petrol-powered automatic gem, combining power and convenience in one sleek package. It's been a reliable steed, but I believe it's time to pamper it with some well-deserved enhancements.

Here are a few areas I'm particularly interested in:

1. Performance Boosters: Are there any performance upgrades that can enhance the engine's output or throttle response? I'm open to exploring options such as intake modifications, exhaust enhancements, or even tuning solutions.

2. Suspension and Handling: Given the spirited driving experience I crave, suggestions for improving the suspension and handling capabilities of my Verna would be greatly appreciated. Whether it's upgrading to performance shocks, sway bars, or even lowering springs, I'm eager to explore your recommendations.

3. Interior Overhaul: It's not just about the power and handling; I want my Verna's interior to exude a sporty and refined vibe. Recommendations for premium upholstery, sporty steering wheels, or even multimedia system upgrades would be fantastic.

4. Styling Upgrades: Let's talk about aesthetics! I'd love to hear your thoughts on body kits, alloy wheels, or any other visual enhancements that can transform my Verna into an absolute head-turner.

5. Maintenance Tips: Apart from modifications, any advice on maintenance or preventative measures specific to an aging car like mine would be invaluable. Let's keep it running like a well-oiled machine for years to come!

I'm excited to embark on this modification journey, and I sincerely appreciate your suggestions and insights. Your expertise in the world of cars and passion for automotive customization will undoubtedly guide me towards making the best decisions for my beloved Verna.

Thank you in advance for your valuable contributions! Let's unleash the full potential of this eight-year-old beast together!

Revving with anticipation,

OnThecusp
Old 28th August 2023, 11:50   #116
BHPian

Re: Pictures of YOU with your car or bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
My love affair with me machines!
Hello @Ashkait Kapoor, IIRC, you have still retained the silver WagonR right?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th August 2023 at 13:34. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
priyankarb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 02:59   #117
BHPian

Re: Pictures of YOU with your car or bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Here's my fathers December 2004 Wagon R still serving him well as a daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyankarb View Post
Hello @Ashkait Kapoor, IIRC, you have still retained the silver WagonR right?
Yes! The old lady is still serving as my Father's daily back home alongside the Polo which is his Sunday/Highway ride. That Waggy is never leaving the garage. There's a sentimental attachment to this one, My Father bought it off his sister after the passing away of his BIL to cancer who was very dear to him. Second to that, I have memories of taking my first girlfriend out in this very car. It's come a long way with the family and still runs like a charm. Given that Shillong is a tier 3 city, emission norms shouldn't be a problem anytime soon. If at all, It'll be a garage queen.

Few more shots of the Old Lady.

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_20220606_205931.jpg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img0862.jpg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_20220525_132940.jpg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img0471.jpg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img0792.jpg

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img20170124wa00032.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2023 at 17:46.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 18:06   #118
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Could any body pls suggest me good places to seek services of rejuvenation of my 2016 Skoda Rapid. I have seen detailing services near Sarjapur Road in the tbhp Bengaluru directory but didn't find any all in one rejuvenation service.

My location - Doddakanneli, Sarjapur Road, Bengaluru
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a preowned Wagon R last year. The car had 58k on the odo and was well maintained by its previous owner. As the car was entering its 10th year, thought of giving it some minor midlife rejuvenation.

1- Replaced the steering rack
2- Replaced the engine mounts as the car was very vibey on idling.
3- Replaced steel rims with Minda Konsai alloys. Plati had some good designs but going for it means the tyres would be sticking out.
4- Replaced the windshield as it had too many scratches, making it difficult to drive at night.
5- Replaced and upsized to 165/65/r14 Yokohama Earth 1.
6- Replaced stock unit with Kenwood double din (stock unit of my Gurkha, fitted a 9in Android unit) as I extensively use GMaps.
7- Replaced the whole steering wheel as it was worn out.

I intend to keep the car for a long time as I feel nothing beats its practicality as a city car.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_7459.jpg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_6013.jpg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_7460.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd January 2024 at 09:48.
rakesh_r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:10   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming one repaints his (used) car to a different colour, at a good place like Madhu's where they do a good job. Would this impact the resale value of the car ?

How would, fellow-TBHP-ian, treat such a car w.r.t the resale value ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks