Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:40   #331
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review

My December 2011 i10 1.2 sportz does have heated mirrors. It was mentioned in the brochure like the one posted by WindRide. I too think it works with the defogger functionality.

That might be used when ORVMs fogs up. But how ORVMs are fogged?
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:12   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
That might be used when ORVMs fogs up. But how ORVMs are fogged?
There is no separate button for heating ORVM's. It works with the rear defogger.

Switch on defogger for a minute or so and then your ORVM glass. It should be hot.
Old 9th December 2013, 16:07   #333
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai India have repositioned the i10 after the launch of the new Grand i10 by doing a complete re-jig of the variants, apart from discontinuing the 1.2 lit. Kappa2 VTVT engine (along with the auto gearbox variants, of course).

There are only three variants now, the Era, Magna & Sportz. The Magna and Sportz variants are also available with a factory-fitted LPG kit (I believe it is a closed loop kit), sporting a toroidal LPG tank that sits in the spare wheel bay, with the spare wheel itself being bolted to the rear seat back.

On the topic of LPG, Hyundai also sell some variants of the Eon and the Santro with factory-fitted LPG kits. The Chevrolet Beat and the Maruti Suzuki Wagon R are the other hatchbacks that are also available with factory-fitted kits (both are sequential kits, I believe) in select trim levels. I think the Spark, 800 and Indica are no longer sold in LPG variants. With the discontinuation of the Accent and Cedia, there are no LPG sedans on sale; while the Omni LPG is still available.

Here is the updated e-brochure.

The earlier D-Lite with black bumpers has been renamed as the Era after the inclusion of a single feature - power steering. The earlier Era has been renamed as the Magna, again with the inclusion of a single feature - rear power windows, along with auto-down and illumination for the driver's window.

The Sportz variant is now available with the 1.1 iRDE2 engine. It roughly corresponds to the earlier Magna variant with some additions such as an integrated music system (CD/MP3 + AM/FM + Aux-in + USB + clock display) with four speakers (no Bluetooth, no steering mounted audio controls), tilt steering, keyless entry with burglar alarm, foldable key and front fog lamps. All variants now get a longer roof antenna instead of the earlier micro-antenna.

Sadly, safety features have been given a complete miss. ABS and airbags are not available even as an option. Driver's front airbag was available on the earlier Sportz(O) while the Asta & Asta(O) had 2 airbags and ABS as standard. 2 airbags and ABS were actually available with the 1.1 lit. engine on the Magna(O) when the i10 was introduced way back in 2008.

The least expensive Hyundai with 2 airbags and ABS is now the Grand i10 petrol Asta(O) at ~ Rs. 5.6 lacs ex-showroom. The A-star ZXI(O) at 4.75 lacs, Micra Active XV S at 4.8 lacs, Figo petrol Titanium at 5.15 lacs, Beat petrol LT(O) at 5.25 lacs and the Ritz ZXI at 5.5 lacs (all approximate ex-showroom prices, Chennai) are all available with 2 airbags & ABS for less money, without even factoring in discounts.

I don't understand this. Hyundai state they aim to be the "most-loved" car brand in India and at the same time, they keep removing vital safety features (even optional) that they used to earlier have on some models. They need to seriously re-consider their recent, inexplicable attitude with regards to safety features for the Indian market, if they want to achieve their dream of becoming the "most-loved" car brand here.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 16:29   #334
BHPian

I had recently purchased an i10 Grand, since the car was on a waiting period, I used to visit the Hyundai office (HMIL) quite often. During one of my visits, I had a chance to know what exactly they think of the market and how do they decide on the inventory levels to be maintained with each and every car available in so many variants and colours.

I was told that the buying preference of the customers have changed in the last few years. Most of the customers that they have seen essentially look for four things,

1. Body Coloured Bumpers
2.Power Steering
3.Air-Conditioner
4.Front Power windows (Though the takers of this are a few as compared to the above three.

They did mention that many first time customers are still not willing to pay for Air Bags and most of them still have a notion that they drive safe and their running of car is less. Many customers are first time buyers for entry level cars and they have little idea of ABS and other safety features.

Another surprising thing I was told was that black colour is the least in demad in entry level segment. People prefer white, silver, beige. Very few opt for dark colours because of some belief or the other. One more interesting thing is that Hyundai has sold so many Grand i10 cars but they have few takers for the Golden Orange colour which is their launch colour.

They do a thorough research before introducing a particular variant in a specific colour.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 16:47   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Hyundai India have repositioned the i10 after the launch of the new Grand i10 by doing a complete re-jig of the variants, apart from discontinuing the 1.2 lit. Kappa2 VTVT engine (along with the auto gearbox variants, of course).There are only three variants now, the Era, Magna & Sportz.
Thank you for the update and summary. With this rejig, Hyundai have successfully and effectively converted the i10 into an entry-level brand, so I guess its only a matter of time for the Santro to disappear.

I fell in love with the Kappa2 engine after driving a friend's car, and now its a shame that this brilliant engine is only available in the Grand i10 avatar.

At the same time, Hyundai must be applauded for not castrating the i10 range in any other way - by cutting out the Kappa2 engine, it ensures that resales of all Kappa2 i10s will not be hit by this move; it might even increase its value. I presume a majority if i10s sold till date are Kappa/Kappa2, and they should hold their resale value quite well.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:15   #336
BHPian

Dealers are still having few i10 1.2 variant in stock.
I was searching for i10 1.1l variant in Kolkata and i was told that 1.2 variants are also available in stock. I still need to check the month of manufacturing of the vehicles so that i can push for more discounts for the 1.2 variant.
.sourov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 19:51   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I fell in love with the Kappa2 engine after driving a friend's car, and now its a shame that this brilliant engine is only available in the Grand i10 avatar.
The Kappa2 engine is also available in the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is i10 now available only with 1.1 iRDE2 engine?
Yes, the Kappa2 models have been discontinued.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 9th December 2013 at 20:09.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 20:00   #338
Senior - BHPian

Is i10 now available only with 1.1 iRDE2 engine?
Old 9th December 2013, 21:56   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
The Kappa2 engine is also available in the i20.
True, that's a fair point. What I thought was just that the Kappa2 engine in the i10 body made for a nippy and sprightly car, and the i20 is larger/heavier. Unfortunately, I didn't pen my thoughts onto paper completely
Old 10th December 2013, 17:37   #340
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Dealers are still having few i10 1.2 variant in stock.
I was searching for i10 1.1l variant in Kolkata and i was told that 1.2 variants are also available in stock. I still need to check the month of manufacturing of the vehicles so that i can push for more discounts for the 1.2 variant.
I would recommend the 1.2 Kappa2 anyday. It's a little gem and makes the i10 a pocket rocket, great on the highway and in the city, and the engine is more refined too.

We have a 1.1 lit. i10 (iRDE1) and while it's drivability is great in the city, it runs out of breath on the highway. At high rpms, the iRDE1 engine produces more noise and less power. The iRDE2 may be slightly better as it produces an extra 2.4PS of power and has friction reducing coating on its pistons, but still would be no match for the sheer performance and refinement of the Kappa2 VTVT. If you're addicted to the highway, this indeed is the engine to go for.

As long as the existing Kappa2 stock is not too old, used as a test drive car etc., you can go for it with your eyes closed. Please try to push for a great bargain on an Asta or a Sportz(O) as they come with safety features. Dealers would be very eager to clear the stock of these before the new year and should give you a good deal. Do try with all the dealers in your city for the best bargain.

Last edited by RSR : 10th December 2013 at 17:49.
Old 6th January 2014, 07:43   #341
BHPian

Guys,

I am encountering with a rather strange problem.

I got a 1.2 Kappa with me which is 1 year old and 10K Odo reading.

Now a days whenever i end my trip and reverse my car back to the garage or any closed area, i get a real foul smell from the exhaust which can even be compared to a septic tank one.

What can that be?

Please help.
Old 27th February 2014, 15:30   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Hi Guys,

My recently purchased i10 kappa2 has very low intial response. The car doesnt move untill releasing half clutch and moves very slowly on further releasing. I literally stall it a many times in traffic when i try to move it. I am driving car for alteast 2 years and feel embarassed stalling in the mid of traffic. Going through various threads in the TBHP i found Kappa2 has good initial response. But my car doesnt seems to be so. Could the experts advice me on what to do or how to get good initial pick up in my i10.
Hi,

Till now the issue is not resolved in my i10.

My i10 went for 2nd Free service last month. It had run only 3400 KM in past one year and i gave it for 2nd Free service. i complained about the low initial response. The SA checked and told it as a loose cable fault and it can be corrected. The next day when i got my car i checked and there was slight improvement.

But after i drove for some distance, the problem started again. Till now i am riding it so and often stalling in the mid of the road. Though i accelerate a bit while releasing clutch to avoid stalling, i understand that is not the right way to drive.

I thought may be my idling RPM was less ( it is around 650 RPM). so i rev the engine to 1K and release the clutch. One fine day i got an oppurtuinity to drive one of my friends brand new Grand i10 1.2L.

I found the clutch performed normally and the car started moving from stand still as soon as i released the clutch. The AC blower was at 2. If it was my car it would have died already

One thing i miss to understand here is both the cars have the same 1.2L Kappa2 engines (may be with slight refinement in Grand i10) why does my car under perform ? Even the Grand i10 Idling RPM was at 650~700 range.

Could anyone help me understand what would be the actual issue with my car. My car has run only 4800KM in this 1 year. I really like the car other than this issue.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th February 2014 at 23:45. Reason: Extra smiley
Old 28th February 2014, 12:27   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

@333 not nearly enough information but let me try. If the clutch feels hard overall or if the movement is not smooth there is most probably a bigger clutch problem. A clutch can be affected even within a few hundred km but in your case it is unlikely as your statement indicates you use the clutch only when necessary. The cable helps translate your pedal inputs to the clutch assembly, so that would be the most likely assumption but tightening that helped only for so long. Observe if the tach and speed gauges move in sync or not when in gear. If not then the assembly has to be taken out for inspecting clutch plate and flywheel. Clutch slippage is unlikely as it does not cause stalling, rather only loss of velocity. If all the above are normal the reason could be fuel pressure/catalytic converter clog/air intake.
Old 1st March 2014, 12:56   #344
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

My i10 went for 2nd Free service last month. It had run only 3400 KM in past one year and i gave it for 2nd Free service. i complained about the low initial response. The SA checked and told it as a loose cable fault and it can be corrected. The next day when i got my car i checked and there was slight improvement.

But after i drove for some distance, the problem started again. Till now i am riding it so and often stalling in the mid of the road. Though i accelerate a bit while releasing clutch to avoid stalling, i understand that is not the right way to drive.
Your issue seems to be rather unique. Other i10 Kappa2 owners don't seem to report this problem, so I think this is specific to your car.

Which is the workshop where you availed the 2nd free service? If that workshop has not been able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction or if the problem occurred again, then I would recommend another workshop.

Hyundai Motor Plaza in Ekkaduthangal has some well trained and skilled guys who are very good at identifying most issues quickly. This is a direct subsidiary of Hyundai Motor India Limited and the cars of Hyundai executives (who work at the factory) also come here for service. This includes imported Hyundais such as the Azera, Grandeur etc. of top Hyundai executives in India.

So some very experienced Hyundai service technicians work here. One SA was able to immediately identify an issue with the brakes on our i10 (1.1 iRDE) after a very brief test drive.

My suggestion - take the car to HMP Ekkaduthangal, Guindy Industrial Estate after registering an appointment online for "running repairs" - do not use your third free service option now. They will call you back to confirm the date and time.

Once you go there, tell the receptionist that you have a very specific issue that can be identified during a test drive. The test drive SA is usually one of their skilled guys who can identify any issues quickly. Explain your issue to him and let him drive the car with you in the passenger seat. He will know immediately if the car is behaving strangely, and will suggest a fix to the regular SA who has been assigned to you. In all likelihood, this should sort out the issue.

Keep us posted on the issue. Good luck!

Last edited by RSR : 1st March 2014 at 12:58.
Old 1st March 2014, 13:09   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I thought may be my idling RPM was less ( it is around 650 RPM). so i rev the engine to 1K and release the clutch. One fine day i got an oppurtuinity to drive one of my friends brand new Grand i10 1.2L.

I found the clutch performed normally and the car started moving from stand still as soon as i released the clutch. The AC blower was at 2. If it was my car it would have died already

One thing i miss to understand here is both the cars have the same 1.2L Kappa2 engines (may be with slight refinement in Grand i10) why does my car under perform ? Even the Grand i10 Idling RPM was at 650~700 range.

Could anyone help me understand what would be the actual issue with my car. My car has run only 4800KM in this 1 year. I really like the car other than this issue.
Many i10 owners face this problem . I had a chat with my SA in Hyundai , he said its mainly due to low running of the car. Mine has done 4500kms in 1 yr. I am having the same problem , stalling often . But once i started to drive often , the stalling problem has gone.
The reason given by the SA is that performance of the clutch is reduced due to low running.He says little dust settles in the clutch plate etc(cant remember exactly ). If not our fault, its just that about the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks