BHPian

Re: Petra petrol 1.6 to Vento TDI 1.6

We have done a few long trips

1. Kancheepuram - Tiruthani in 3 days ~ 1000 KMs

2. Kancheepuram/ Outskirts of Chennai: For JoSAA admissions 600 KMs in a day

3. Pavagada: 300 KMs

4. A few to southern A. P to my native: ~1000 KMs round trip

Overall change of experience

1. Passenger seats less comfortable and not as spacious as in Petra.

2. Feels better over curves, even for driving

3. Have to be extra careful on speed breakers

4. Thud and feel not as much as in Petra

5. Luggage space slightly lesser

6. Much better FE and running costs

7. Climate control better than fiddling with optimal fan speed and cold settings

8. Petra had the sweetest spot around 90 KMPH and Vento seems to have that past 110 KMPH.

9. Torqy, so feels immediately better after traffic signal turns green. But have to up shift quickly to get away.

BTW, another test drive I forgot to mention is: Linea Diesel

That particular car was maintained well both in and out with beautiful accessories. I was disappointed by lack of lower end pull while going up ramp. It felt fine on the road.
Old 9th May 2021, 21:45   #9617
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Notice the 2 white colored ports in addition to the red colored ports? That’s where the white plugs of the paddle shifters need to be connected to.

Attachment 1342642

And some drilling and cutting at the back of the steering wheel to mount and screw the paddle shifters.

And lastly, check this box in VCDS
Is there a reasonable and reliable source to order these wired paddles?
Also, is there a cheaper alternative to VCDS? I'd really love to turn the cornering lights off and fold mirrors with my key.
Old 16th June 2021, 13:42   #9618
Senior - BHPian

Oil covered hose coupling:

Saw this oil covered hose today. Any idea what could be cause of it? Or anyone faced similar issue?

Thought of asking before visiting workshop later this week.

Vento was last serviced in Nov 2020. So no reason anyone would drop oil during service.

Oil level is also right as per engine oil dipstick.

Where could this oil be coming from?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5998.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5996.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5997.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 19:01   #9619
BHPian

Would like to inform all Vento TSI owners in Pune that VW Pune West (B.U. Bhandari) is offering the Service Value Package for 2 years at Rs. 16999 all inclusive. This includes all scheduled service parts and labor charges for 2 services. I've availed of this as I felt it is a good deal with around 25% saving when compared to the average cost of 2 services.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 22:16   #9620
BHPian

Couple of months before, when I stopped the car for a short quick purchase, it refused to start. Probably I would have spent 10 to 15 mins in the shop. Have to push the car and start it. Home was just a km away. As soon as I parked the car, left it to idle for a minute and switched off. After 5 minutes tried to start the car and it cranked well without any issues. Did a check of the battery and the battery guy told me all is well with the battery.

After that incident there were no issues at all for the last two months. Last week had a 9-10 km after run after which had a short stop for 10-15 minutes. When tried to start the car, it didn't. Tried multiple times and had to seek help from nearby people to push and start.

Anybody faced this issue. Please suggest if you have any solutions.
Old 22nd June 2021, 00:04   #9621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Couple of months before, when I stopped the car for a short quick purchase, it refused to start. Probably I would have spent 10 to 15 mins in the shop. Have to push the car and start it. Home was just a km away. As soon as I parked the car, left it to idle for a minute and switched off. After 5 minutes tried to start the car and it cranked well without any issues. Did a check of the battery and the battery guy told me all is well with the battery.

After that incident there were no issues at all for the last two months. Last week had a 9-10 km after run after which had a short stop for 10-15 minutes. When tried to start the car, it didn't. Tried multiple times and had to seek help from nearby people to push and start.

Anybody faced this issue. Please suggest if you have any solutions.
I can shed some light on this. It could be either the starter motor (likely), alternator (most likely given the symptoms) or the battery (unlikely). How old is your car and how much has it run?
Old 22nd June 2021, 10:38   #9622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
I can shed some light on this. It could be either the starter motor (likely), alternator (most likely given the symptoms) or the battery (unlikely). How old is your car and how much has it run?
It's 8 years old and had run 78,000 kms.
Old 22nd June 2021, 10:55   #9623
BHPian

Quote:
It's 8 years old and had run 78,000 kms.
Were you low on fuel when the two incidents happened? Could also be a sign of a weak fuel pump. I would suggest you to get the car scanned at the VW workshop to see if any error codes are logged in the system. It could be either a fuel pump, starter motor, alternator or a battery(if it's more than 4 years old) issue and would need a systematic troubleshooting to diagnose the root cause. Here's a thread with similar issues reported by members. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ngine-hot.html (Starting problem when engine is HOT!)
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:47   #9624
BHPian

Quote:
Were you low on fuel when the two incidents happened? Could also be a sign of a weak fuel pump.
I was not low on fuel. Car had more than half the tank full in the first instance and more than 75% in the second instance.

Quote:
I would suggest you to get the car scanned at the VW workshop to see if any error codes are logged in the system.
Had the car serviced after the first instance and the car was scanned for any error codes as I had an ABS sensor failing. No errors were reported.

Quote:

It could be either a fuel pump, starter motor, alternator or a battery(if it's more than 4 years old) issue and would need a systematic troubleshooting to diagnose the root cause. Here's a thread with similar issues reported by members. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ngine-hot.html (Starting problem when engine is HOT!)
Alternator was replaced 3 years back. Didn't see any problem after that. Battery is just 2 years old and the battery dealer checked and reported as its fine.

Gone through the link. Doesn't seem to be the case like the Indica/Indigo as I can hear the car cranking but not starting. It doesn't behave like battery is completely dead as I had that experience before when the alternator failed. Honda's case is closer to my problem but at the end I see that the battery contacts were the culprit. I may have to check that as well along with starter motor bushes.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:21   #9625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Oil covered hose coupling:

Saw this oil covered hose today. Any idea what could be cause of it? Or anyone faced similar issue?

Where could this oil be coming from?
I had a similar issue before. But it was due to diesel leakage which the SA fixed by fixing the engine pack or something, which I do not remember now. The other issue could be the leakage in the way to/from turbo.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:24   #9626
BHPian

Quote:
I was not low on fuel. Car had more than half the tank full in the first instance and more than 75% in the second instance.

I may have to check that as well along with starter motor bushes.
Good luck with the diagnosis! Please do update this thread after you find the cause.
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:08   #9627
Senior - BHPian

My 2012 Vento AT must have run only 1000 km or so in the last 12 months. Now the 9th service is due. I am wondering if this service and oil change is really needed. My car is running fine currently. My usage is very low as there's no need for any office commute or anything. Mostly it's just local market runs on the weekends.

Any recommendations? Should I still book the 9th service? Any problems skipping it? I plan to keep my car for another 5-6 years. Currently the odo is around 38k km after 9 years!
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:32   #9628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
My 2012 Vento AT must have run only 1000 km or so in the last 12 months. Now the 9th service is due. I am wondering if this service and oil change is really needed. My car is running fine currently. My usage is very low as there's no need for any office commute or anything. Mostly it's just local market runs on the weekends.

Any recommendations? Should I still book the 9th service? Any problems skipping it? I plan to keep my car for another 5-6 years. Currently the odo is around 38k km after 9 years!
Don't think there's any harm in skipping it. But just to be safe, do get the oil changed as the old oil will lose it's properties over time.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:41   #9629
BHPian

Quote:
Good luck with the diagnosis! Please do update this thread after you find the cause.
Today did a test run of around 20 kms. After 5-10 mins stop tried to start again. First crank failed with some flickering of ac console in dash indicating low power. Second crank, after shutting down the fan, was successful. Now it seems like battery. I am confused.
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:57   #9630
BHPian

Quote:
Today did a test run of around 20 kms. After 5-10 mins stop tried to start again. First crank failed with some flickering of ac console in dash indicating low power. Second crank, after shutting down the fan, was successful. Now it seems like battery. I am confused.
Do you have a good FNG nearby? They should be able to diagnose it quite quickly and say whether it's the battery or something else. I'd avoid the VW ASS unless you think they're competent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks