Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 22:47   #9601
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I am a proud owner of vento tsi 7 speed petrol automatic. Just completed 7 years and still running like day one. Today on my long drive from Bangalore to wayanad, I faced a problem. Near Mysore, we got petrol smell inside car ( I filled petrol few days back, not today and the fuel tank was 1/2 empty when we felt the smell). When I switched off AC, the smell vanished, but started again with AC on. I stopped the car and checked for any fuel leakage, but didn't find any. I was searching a garage in Mysore and in between, I stopped car for 10 mins for a cup of coffee. After restarting, the smell stopped. I found a Skoda showroom near by and they also checked my car and couldn't find any leakage. From Mysore, I drove to wayanad (around 150kms) and no fuel smell afterwards.
No deterioration of performance during the entire journey. It was running as always.

Any idea why I got the petrol smell?
ambadan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 22:00   #9602
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I had purchased a 2019 Vento TDI HL+ about 5 months back. Recently, Paid a visit to coastal Andhra where temperatures are hovering around 42 degrees.

Sadly, my Vento's AC couldn't cool as effectively as our other cars which are 2010 Toyota Prado and a 2009 Honda accord. The most disappointing part is that even after driving at speeds north of 100KMPH for more than 3hrs continuously, the rear passenger's backs were sweating. Do note that the windows were firmly closed and ACC was set at Lo with blower speed at max position. At the front of the cabin, it was relatively cold.

My uncle who owns a 2L kms run 2013 vento says my AC is perfect. I am really worried about the AC performance of our first German vehicle.

Am I over-expecting from the car? Or is my AC really weak?
Old 4th April 2021, 22:54   #9603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
The most disappointing part is that even after driving at speeds north of 100KMPH for more than 3hrs continuously, the rear passenger's backs were sweating.

My uncle who owns a 2L kms run 2013 vento says my AC is perfect. I am really worried about the AC performance of our first German vehicle.

Sounds normal. The AC in the Vento is not it's forte. It's below average.

If you can, try putting sunfilm ( the lighter ones) for some relief. Yes, it's illegal.
Old 5th April 2021, 07:53   #9604
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

I had purchased a 2019 Vento TDI HL+ about 5 months back. Recently, Paid a visit to coastal Andhra where temperatures are hovering around 42 degrees.

Sadly, my Vento's AC couldn't cool as effectively as our other cars which are 2010 Toyota Prado and a 2009 Honda accord. The most disappointing part is that even after driving at speeds north of 100KMPH for more than 3hrs continuously, the rear passenger's backs were sweating. Do note that the windows were firmly closed and ACC was set at Lo with blower speed at max position. At the front of the cabin, it was relatively cold.

Did you put the AC in full auto or were you forcing it in recirculation mode ? Because if in full auto, it knows that when driving in blazing sun, it's best to put AC in fresh air mode so that it doesn't have to deal with the cooking of air inside the car by greenhouse effect.
If your AC is not fully automatic, i suggest that you put it in fresh air mode when travelling in daytime in peak indian summers
Old 5th April 2021, 08:30   #9605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

The Vento AC and in general all German cars are weaker than the Asian manufacturers. It does struggle in peak indian summers. But normally , although it does take time to cool, it finally gets there.

Try to get the magnetic window sunshades. They make quite a difference.
Old 5th April 2021, 09:29   #9606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have done few day-long summer trips from Pune - Bhopal and Pune - Nagpur, when the outside temp have hovered around 40 degrees and have realized that beyond a point, one really can't do much with the Vento AC effectiveness.

So, went ahead and bought the super effective NSV laser sun shades. Details here.
Also got the 3M CR70 sunfilm (transparent) plonked on the front windshield.

Have managed to combat the summer heat to a great extent.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 10:23   #9607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Did you put the AC in full auto or were you forcing it in recirculation mode ? Because if in full auto, it knows that when driving in blazing sun, it's best to put AC in fresh air mode so that it doesn't have to deal with the cooking of air inside the car by greenhouse effect.
If your AC is not fully automatic, i suggest that you put it in fresh air mode when travelling in daytime in peak indian summers
As far as I remember, it wasn't on Auto mode. I had switched on the Re-circulation with temp set at lo and fan speed at max point. I tried keeping the fan speeds low through out the journey thinking cooling effectiveness may increase but no significant improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I have done few day-long summer trips from Pune - Bhopal and Pune - Nagpur, when the outside temp have hovered around 40 degrees and have realized that beyond a point, one really can't do much with the Vento AC effectiveness.

Have managed to combat the summer heat to a great extent.
Thanks for the guidance. BTW, I just got a thought that leather upholstered seats require extra cooling when compared to fabric seats. Is this true? Felt like this because our other two cars have fabric seats.

If you don't mind, Please share the cost of CR70 application on front windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Sounds normal. The AC in the Vento is not it's forte. It's below average.

If you can, try putting sunfilm ( the lighter ones) for some relief. Yes, it's illegal.
Thanks! Will check out cheapest options available so that my pocket doesn't hurt when the policeman strips it off.
Old 5th April 2021, 10:43   #9608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance. BTW, I just got a thought that leather upholstered seats require extra cooling when compared to fabric seats. Is this true? Felt like this because our other two cars have fabric seats.
Good quality fabric seat cover is anyday better than 'leatherette', I have switched to fabric seat covers long time ago.
Along with the NSV shades (which are legal btw, since they are not permanent fixture), this aids greatly when travelling in summers.

Quote:
If you don't mind, Please share the cost of CR70 application on front windshield.
I got this installed few years ago, back then it costed me around 7k+ including installation and warranty.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:23   #9609
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

Hi,

I have a 2013 Vento TDI upholstered in leatherette in Chennai with the ODO hovering around 1.5L Km.

'Unless I was parked OR in heavy traffic' under the blazing sun, never had a problem till date (touchwood) even with the temperature around the 40deg C mark.

I do have the barest min V-cool sunfilm, that still burns my hand if the sun is on my right.

1. However what I think helps are the sun shades I have on the car for all 4 windows. (It's available for the rear windscreen also if you like).
Google for "Z-Black" or "laser sunshades".

2. Since the heat is mostly from the glass area turn your outer aircon vents to full blast on the window glass in the front doors. As you move this cool air will cool the front glass and also move to the rear glass area. Once the cabin is cool then you can turn the vents towards you...

And yes keep the aircon vent in re-circulation.

Hope this helps.
Cheers everyone.
Adrian Stephens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 08:42   #9610
Senior - BHPian

Just picked up a pristine 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI DSG Highline Plus on 30th March. Got inspection done and bought exdended warranty by VW. Review soon once I rack up some KMs.
Here are some pictures:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20210330_201229.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20210401_163849.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20210330_201102.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20210401_164230.jpg
vredesbyrd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:02   #9611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Just picked up a pristine 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI DSG Highline Plus on 30th March. Got inspection done and bought exdended warranty by VW. Review soon once I rack up some KMs
Congratulations from one (delighted) DSG TDI Vento owner to another

What was the inspection process, and for how many years did you buy the extended warranty for?
Do post your initial ownership experience.
Old 13th April 2021, 17:19   #9612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Congratulations from one (delighted) DSG TDI Vento owner to another

What was the inspection process, and for how many years did you buy the extended warranty for?
Do post your initial ownership experience.
Thank you!

Bought the car from Cars24. It is a Sept 18 unit. Used TBHP's PDI and drove it around the parking lot. Cars24 offers a 7 days money return guarantee if you don't like the car and 6 months warranty.
Got history from VW service center and decided to take the plunge (despite the 24 month service being missed). Took it to service center and everything checked out fine except the battery (which was replaced then and there and also refunded by Cars24). Original 2 year warranty had expired so we could only get 1 year of extra warranty (instead of 2 if the 24 month service was skipped). Have driven less than 100km so far and am itching to go out but corona is back and work doesn't leave me with much time. Car feels way tighter than the Superb (maybe because of the age). Drove it on Lucknow's death road (Shaheed Path) for about 70km and the car gave me smiles and a mileage of 21 km/l in D7. What a tight handler with precise steering. Also, I can't fathom why people have difficulty pressing the horn pad with one hand.

Guess ownership review will take a bit of time and KMs thanks to work and virus.

Also, some mods planned after warranty:
Paddle shifters (miss them after the Superb)
Black wrap on roof and spoilers
Shark fin antenna
Stage - 1 performance upgrade
Some coding through VCDS (remote folding mirrors and things)

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 13th April 2021 at 17:20. Reason: Small typo, hehe
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:48   #9613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Original 2 year warranty had expired so we could only get 1 year of extra warranty (instead of 2 if the 24 month service was skipped)...Car feels way tighter than the Superb (maybe because of the age)... the car gave me smiles and a mileage of 21 km/l in D7. What a tight handler with precise steering. Also, I can't fathom why people have difficulty pressing the horn pad with one hand.
Great to know! Thanks for sharing.
Coming from a Superb, must have been a world of difference.
The Vento will be much lighter and the taut steering + DSG combo should provide a altogether different experience.

With the warranty now secured, I would suggest to continue renewing this to the extent possible for as many years as possible, to cover the mechatronics (mostly).

The mileage of 21 km/l is too less, you can try squeezing out a lot more. I have got close to 27-28 km/l multiple times while cruising on highways.

The horn pad can get stiff with age, I have been facing that problem after about 50k.

However, enjoy the sublime experience and once again, welcome to the DSG TDI Vento club
Old 13th April 2021, 19:35   #9614
BHPian

Used to happen with me as well, in peak summers, travelling from Mumbai to Nashik. Honestly, I think a good full servicing of the AC would solve it, mostly the gas being topped and the cooling coil being cleaned. This made the worlds difference in my 12-year old car.

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

GranvilleDsouza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:13   #9615
BHPian

Petra petrol 1.6 to Vento TDI 1.6

Hi guys,

It is time I share my long term ownership experience and move to a new vehicle.

My good time with Petra 1.6 in Hyderabad was super. Bought in 2005, a 2004 model, really gave a great driving experience and fun. Let it be in the city or highways. We used to leave behind many other cars, including Scorpios, Ikons and others.

I bought it new and drove it for 65K KMs in 10 years in Hyderabad. I had to move to Bangalore around end of 2014, with a little apprehension about how my car would do in Bangalore traffic. That is when it started hitting on my pocket. Multiple issues that tired me

1. COPs after out of state vehicles that time, paid ~ 47K for LTT again. Just to point out, this is close to what I paid for a new vehicle in Hyderabad 10 years before.

2. Tires replaced, Yokohama all four. Michelins fitted prior lasted for less than 28K for 5 years in almost unpaved roads in my locality in Hyderabad.

3. 60K service, water leak, alternator gone, head light stalk replaced.

4. Engine mounts struts, kit bearing, etc.. gone ...

In essence, spent a good deal on repairs. That is when I realized both running costs and repairs are heavy on my pocket. Highest FE being under 10 KMPL and lowest of the order of 7 KMPL. All for BG Road to Cantt side route.

This is when I realized I need an alternative. Do not want to spend a lot, hence pre-owned is the choice. For someone used to American and European cars, Hyundai, Maruti, Tata have never been appealing. I gave one consideration though, would buy Hyundai if the price is reasonable. Researches online and offline revealed: Verna and Duster out of reach. Did not like Nissan Sunny or Renault Scala much still researched.

What I looked for: Top build quality, handling, lower running costs, reliable

It looked like I would like Volkswagen Vento. Both running costs and driving fun to have. I found one blue color and one champagne in Yelahanka. The blue color one I gave up as it seemed to have been owned by a realtor, can't recall KMs on it, probably 60K. The champagne one looked good, less than 3 years and around 20K KMs on it. We could not settle on price for this.

As I continue my search I came across Renault Fluence that looked beautiful to me, black, big enough. I drove the car, it felt light and good. I got it evaluated, we fail to settle down on price.

That is when I see a Vento TDI 1.6 ~ 38K from an IT employee. He was nice enough to bring the car for drive to times. The price seemed good, evaluator says one injector weak, that being a common problem to all Ventos. Settling the price was quick and the owner delivers it in Nov '16 to me.

My observation and feel of models looked at (all pre-owned)

1. Nissan Sunny: Seemed a passenger's car, big wheels. Not known to provide great driving experience.

2. Verna: Pricy compared to other cars. Handling keeps cropping up in my mind.

3. Renault Duster: Pricy

4. Renault Fluence: Looked good, not a great drivers car, but felt good enough with lot of space. It would have caused trouble in present parking for me.

5. Vento TDI: Felt good driving, almost like a petrol. Good build, handling did not seem bad. Spacious enough.

To present (from 2016)

Vento pleasure: I continue to like the build quality. Lower GC is relatively a pain. Good FE. Proves apprehensions about mtce costs to be true.

How do I compare it with Petra petrol: Good, not as good as Petra in driving. Petra used to drive me and now I drive Vento. What I mean is, Petra would keep on inviting go further kinds, TDI seems to be a controlling boss while letting you do the same slowly. Vento probably is a better handler as the family does not warn me to slow down in curves as much or was I lost in driving pleasure earlier.

My family feels: Seating comfort and luggage space were better in Petra.

I have had three minor accidents and two injector fails so far. Fitted new shoes (JK for economics). Was looking for continental, but ended up with India tire for indian roads .

First accident:

An on coming taxi fellow takes a sudden right. He had not been toward the middle of the road either. I had no way of guessing he'd do that. As usual accuses me of going fast. I showed him, it is still in 3rd gear. Asked him to shut up and go. Only minot scratches on the bumper and one side head light.

Second:

A scooty guy suddnly come sin front of me from the side of a parked truck. Despite best braking efforts, the hit happens. The guy tried to play giddiness, this that and all that game. He was lucky to survive. The usual over speed blame game starts. I showed him the gear I was in after he claims I was speeding at 80-90 KMPH.

Insurance claim: total damage of bumper, radiator, front fram including grill, minor dent on bonnet. Total cost around 35 to 40K. Just less than half from my pocket.

Third one:

Dog hit. Cost me 8K as the plastic lining, fog lamp and a few other parts broke.
sreenivass is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks