Old 8th September 2016, 14:09   #8536
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
- I detect some amount of hesitation upshifting from D1 to D2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
It is most eager to up-shift to D2. In fact, the moment the speed crosses above 5 - 8 KPH, it up-shifts to D2 even if you may be pressing the brake and coming to a halt again. It is very hesitant to down-shift to D1.
Well, this is exactly what I had reported in one of my earlier posts.
Please refer here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4000499

This is for my Vento TSI 2016 model.

Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:23   #8537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Well, this is exactly what I had reported in one of my earlier posts.

1. There is a slight bit of hesitation in taking-off n 1st gear, felt especially on Red lights with bumper-to-bumper traffic. You feel you are late to start once the car ahead of you starts to move.

2. Sometimes, the DSG just refuses to move to the 2nd gear until after 2000-2200 rpm.
I agree. Copy pasting your first two points from that post:

1. As signal turns green the car infront is far ahead and I play catch up. There is temptation to depress the accelerator pedal harder but am afraid that my car might lurch and hit the car in front.

2. My observation is exactly same as yours.

The OP of that thread you linked to had observed that the engine holds rev longer after the software update. The above two points seem inline with that comment. I had not observed these behaviours in the three demo cars I had test driven.
Old 11th September 2016, 10:30   #8538
Senior - BHPian

I took the Vento to VW dealer in Trivandrum to get ABS sensor error fixed, this is the 3rd ABS sensor error in this car in less than a 6 months time. Error on rear left wheel was fixed at Cochin for 3.5K a few months ago and now two more popped up rear right and front left. Front left popped up after i gave the car at Trivandrum. Well this is Das Auto Anyway good thing is the car is under warranty till April 2017 and the sensor change as and when the error pops up will be replaced under warranty. We paid for the previous sensor change thinking the EW had expired.

Also got the Bilstein removed from the car and put stock suspensions installed. The SA at the time of delivery said a person is interested in the B14s and he went looking for him, he couldn't be found and he came back saying he will give my number to the guy. The guy calls me asking for B14 details and gives me a price which is lower than expected. I say i will let him know. Then SA calls later that day says the guy is a technician there and its for his car and asks if i can let it go for the price guy offered etc. I agree to let it go for a slightly higher amount and SA says ok i will ask the other guy to call. Other guy calls and says he's in a difficult position etc etc and i agree to come down on the price a bit. He says ok. Next day while on OLX i see an ad for Bilstein B14 for Polo/Vento in Trivandrum and the phone number given is the number i got the call from The ad is listed for a much higher amount than offered to me.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-biltstein_noufal.jpg

I forward it to my friend and he calls the number, negotiations start and the other guy says the suspension is with his "uncle" and "only slight adjustments" are possible and he will call me friend back once he confirms with his uncle.

So as expected i got a call from him soon after. He says he finally arranged for the money with much difficulty. I did not say much, i just said i got a better offer. I did want to but i refrained from that because i have a VW to fix under warranty and i need to take it to the VW workshop once more before its sold so with the car in for repairs i want it back without any further complications. But i sure will bring this up with the SA and the service manager.

That's Das Auto for me. Either the VW company tries to screw you (sold me a polo gt tdi with no rear spoiler and side sill trims), or the car tries to screw you (abs sensor error in vento one after the other), or the dealer tries to screw you (abs sensor replaced on payment even when under EW, car was not taken in by the owner guy who took it in did not know about EW), and even the dealer personnel tries to screw you (bilstein b14).

When i had the Polo i always preferred to take the car to EVM VW at Cheranelloor instead of Trivandrum for service and work although it was 220KMs away. The people and attitude is much better there at Cheranelloor.

Last edited by Sankar : 11th September 2016 at 10:40.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 15:15   #8539
BHPian

does anyone else have this problem? Both of my vento car keys have developed a crack at the exact same location.

I could not come across any posts with the same problem on this thread but i am not sure as to why the same problem in both the keys. Aren't they supposed to be tough?? and to be used thousands of times.

Although i am sure they'll charge me a bomb to rectify / replace them
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20160911_150701924.jpg  

Old 11th September 2016, 16:22   #8540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
does anyone else have this problem? Both of my vento car keys have developed a crack at the exact same location.

I could not come across any posts with the same problem on this thread but i am not sure as to why the same problem in both the keys. Aren't they supposed to be tough?? and to be used thousands of times.

Buy a key blank and cut the blank from a key duplicating center and put it in the original case. Or transfer electronics and RFID chip from the old case into the new case and use it.

Listing for a new case with key blank:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Volkswagen-VW.../141754889681?
Old 12th September 2016, 12:06   #8541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post

How old are these keys ? The cracks indicate some sort of a material defect, unless they were used as some kind of a wedge.

Can you try to bring it to the attention of the SA/dealership and see what they have to say ?

IMO, those keys are made of quite tough and hard materials which are supposed to withstand thousands of operations.
Old 13th September 2016, 08:00   #8542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
How old are these keys ? The cracks indicate some sort of a material defect, unless they were used as some kind of a wedge.

Can you try to bring it to the attention of the SA/dealership and see what they have to say ?

IMO, those keys are made of quite tough and hard materials which are supposed to withstand thousands of operations.
exactly these keys are supposed to be tough

Not used as a wedge anywhere. the vehicle itself is 3.5 yrs old and i guess the first one cracked after 1.5 - 2 yrs. so both the keys are showing the same crack after approx same time. will try to get in touch with the SA dealership this week.
Old 14th September 2016, 18:32   #8543
BHPian

Quote:
Now that I own the Vento TSI and driven quite a bit I find pick up sluggish. Till D4 it revs for sometime till 2k rpm at each gear and takes a bit of time upshifting. Apparently this happened as result of software revision aimed at solving the D3 - D2 jerking issue. Upshifts to D5 - D6 - D7 are smooth. By the way I do not press 'A' pedal to metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I bought my car in May 16, so relatively new. But I don't find pick up sluggish. Yes, it does rev till 2k rpm sometimes, but it doesn't take time to upshift. And yes, upshifts to D5, D6 and D7 is smooth. I do get the D3 - D2 jerks sometimes, so not sure if are on the same version.

Maybe if you have a friend who has another TSI, you can probably compare...
Have you checked if your tyre pressure is right?

I had the tyre pressure of 30psi. I recently pumped it up to 35psi (that is what I had in my previous car and I liked the stiff suspension). Surprisingly, I am finding the same symptoms as you have mentioned - rev till 2k and sluggish pickup.

I plan to reduce the pressure back to 30psi this Sat. Will report back.
Old 14th September 2016, 20:30   #8544
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked if your tyre pressure is right?
I haven't and never thought it would be related. Will do so now.

I had also mentioned earlier about late gear change D1 to D2. I have observed that it happens only in few instances. One is: when driving slowly in D1 on pebble strewn roads. Ok, not pebble exactly but rather loose stone pieces which has been scattered from broken portion of road; the stone pieces that have broken off from the stone chips used in road construction. For example you have just come out of a pothole at very slow speed and there are stone pieces scattered around. I wonder whether traction control came into play in this instance.

Two is: coming out of a hillock kind of speed breaker on D1. This behaviour is pretty odd.

On even level road D1-D2 is very fast, you don't even notice it.

Reving upto minimum 2k and slight delay in upshift happens consistently on D2-D3 and D3-D4. These two up shifts can always be felt. A colleague who drove my car noticed it too.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:06   #8545
BHPian

Update and addition to my post above.

Changed the tyre pressure to 32 psi front and 29 psi rear but no change in gear shift behaviour.

shifu, which tyre are you using? I upsized to 195/60 R15. Can this be a contributing factor?

Point #3 wrt instances where there is delay in D1-D2 upshift: when driving on paver block surface. Our society internal road is concrete. There is a sliding gate whose track projects up from the road surface. Outside is paver block stretch of about 50ft long. I slow down to go over the track and invariably gear starts at D1 on paver block side. Sometimes the gear do not change at all until the car crosses paver block stretch, other times it change to D2 after revving over 2k.

This behaviour over loose stone and over paver block makes me suspect traction control at play. Perhaps over these two surfaces the tyres receive intermittently variable resistance from the road surface: the wheel spin speed varies within fractions of a second. This is just my assumption.

Last edited by Guite : 15th September 2016 at 11:11.
Old 15th September 2016, 12:10   #8546
BHPian

Quote:

Changed the tyre pressure to 32 psi front and 29 psi rear but no change in gear shift behaviour.

shifu, which tyre are you using? I upsized to 195/60 R15. Can this be a contributing factor?
What was the pressure before you changed it? Was it over-inflated?

I am using the stock tyres. Didn't upsize. Since yours is a brand new car as well, won't your suspension's warranty go bust because of the upsize?
Old 15th September 2016, 13:07   #8547
BHPian

Quote:
What was the pressure before you changed it? Was it over-inflated?
Not much different from recommended pressure.

Quote:
I am using the stock tyres. Didn't upsize. Since yours is a brand new car as well, won't your suspension's warranty go bust because of the upsize?
There is mixed response in the Vento tyre upsize thread, but majority opinion is that it does not affect warranty.
Old 17th September 2016, 15:38   #8548
BHPian

I have got my Vento TSI delivered last week and have driven about 100kms so far. Have one observation so far and wanted to check if anybody else had the same issue.

When I take a turn, i expect the steering to re-steer back to its original position quickly without any input. But I see that in my car the re-steer is not complete and needs a little bit of input to re-steer it back. I am suspecting this to be due to the new tires and wanted to wait for about 500km to run before i go to the service station. Is this normal? I also notice that there is no visible wheel alignment issue, the vehicle is going on a straight line on a good surface. I am yet to check the tire pressure though.
Old 17th September 2016, 16:12   #8549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
When I take a turn, i expect the steering to re-steer back to its original position quickly without any input. But I see that in my car the re-steer is not complete and needs a little bit of input to re-steer it back. I am suspecting this to be due to the new tires and wanted to wait for about 500km to run before i go to the service station. Is this normal? I also notice that there is no visible wheel alignment issue, the vehicle is going on a straight line on a good surface. I am yet to check the tire pressure though.
Well I hope you aren't too slow while making a turn? I sometimes face the same issue if I take a turn at a very slow speed. If I have to quantify the speed I would say around 5-10 kmph. Try taking a turn on bigger inter sections at a slightly higher speed may be say 15 or 20 and observe. I understand it is not possible to take turn at higher speeds but this is an attempt to test.
Old 17th September 2016, 16:39   #8550
BHPian

Yes I see that even at 15-20 kmph speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks