Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 14:05   #8131
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Hey,

Have had two visits to the service centre in the last 3 weeks :(

This weekend the car was again at the service centre, for replacement of brake pads and discs... cost 8k... the discs and pads are being replaced for the second time, last time being around 37k kms, the advisor said pads change is regular however, discs got worn out because the car was driven for a long time with worn out pads.

Please advise... shall I look to cut losses and sell or spend the money and use the car for some more time...
Hi

My Jan 2014 vento stands at 65k on the ODO. Have got the discs changed once at the 45k service. The pads are changed every 15k kms but thats due to the nature of driving. My car runs 90kms almost daily out of which 60 kms is NH1 drive so the brake pad wear is there.

I get my car serviced from Volkswagen Moti Nagar, and the SA suggested clutch parts replacement on the 60km service stating that it has gone hard. I don't think thats the case as the difference is the same as on day one compared to clutch of other cars in the household, and they were just trying to raise the bill by 20k unnecessarily. Still for your peace of mind get it checked outside.

Offtopic: Is anyone experiencing brake judders? Also Brembo brake pads squeal a lot, anyone facing the same?

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th January 2016 at 23:11. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 16:30   #8132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Hey,

This weekend the car was again at the service centre, for replacement of brake pads and discs... cost 8k... the discs and pads are being replaced for the second time, last time being around 37k kms, the advisor said pads change is regular however, discs got worn out because the car was driven for a long time with worn out pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The service advisor is taking you a big royal ride buddy. Gear cable i can understand but were you personally there to inspect the discs + pads, it is impossible to wear the pads within 20k kms unless you drive like a maniac, discs are changed if they are warped or your worn out pads damage it, VW people are known to push unnecessary replacements so be vigil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
As a rule of thumb and in accordance to the VW Vento 1.6 TDi manual,
-Disc are to be replaced every 60,000 Kms
-Pads are to be replaced every 30,000 Kms

If anyone is going in for replacement of disc or pads, go in for Brembo Disc/Pads. Heard good reviews about it.
Brakes depend totally on the way you drive. You can't specify a fixed interval for change. The pads on my gt tsi were shot by 9.5k kms, The car is at 12k now and still on the original disc even after smoking the brakes a couple of times. If you wait for the disc to get warm before hammering on it, you can extend its life. My friends have also got both their brakes+Discs replaced at 7.5-8-9-10k kms (One got the pads at 4.5k)

1. Pads at 9.5k kms
2.Brake dust after 1000km highway trip (Del-Amritsar)(New pads)
3.New (Non-stock) vs old stock pads
4.Smoking brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Hi

Offtopic: Is anyone experiencing brake judders? Also Brembo brake pads squeal a lot, anyone facing the same?
Brake judder is mostly because of the disc warping IMO. No clue about the brembos, used both the red/black wasnt satisfied. I'm loving the motorsport pads that ive got now, they stop and HOW. Even after cleaning the brakes, these pads squeal, so I guess its normal, never used the brembos long enough to notice squaling, stock never squealed though (Useless pads).
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160106025509.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160106025612.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160106025911.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160106030639.jpg  

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 6th January 2016 at 16:37.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 17:01   #8133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
My friends have also got both their brakes+Discs replaced at 7.5-8-9-10k kms (One got the pads at 4.5k)
Brake wear is dependent on how hard you brake but wearing out a set of brake pads for a car like Vento at 4.5k kms requires some insane braking or hard driving, it is just a humble C segment sedan and no M3 or M4.

I also got the brake disc+ pads on my Vento changed at 11k kms but it is not because it got worn out, this was done because the poor and sub standard VW brake disc warped and started brake shuddering.
I quoted the OP as he drives sedately and 20k kms for brake pad wear is strange considering the original set lasted 37k kms if the driving conditions do not change.

Can you explain about these Motorsport brake pads? Where did you get them and how much they cost? How bad is the squealing issue? I need a good set of pads and brake discs soon, might go for Brembo.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 6th January 2016 at 17:02.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:15   #8134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Brake wear is dependent on how hard you brake but wearing out a set of brake pads for a car like Vento at 4.5k kms requires some insane braking or hard driving, it is just a humble C segment sedan and no M3 or M4.

I also got the brake disc+ pads on my Vento changed at 11k kms but it is not because it got worn out, this was done because the poor and sub standard VW brake disc warped and started brake shuddering.
I quoted the OP as he drives sedately and 20k kms for brake pad wear is strange considering the original set lasted 37k kms if the driving conditions do not change.

Can you explain about these Motorsport brake pads? Where did you get them and how much they cost? How bad is the squealing issue? I need a good set of pads and brake discs soon, might go for Brembo.
Not about how hard you brake, Its HOW you brake. Warm up the disc and it'll last a good while. My disc is testament to that, I never brake hard when its cold, have smoked the brakes a couple of times and, still at 12k kms it is on the original disc. My non-smoking friends have gone in for disc replacements much earlier.

I'd suggest the new brembo reds coming in. Cant share any details on the pads that I'm running.
Do not buy the brembo slotted disc, My buds have had terrible experiences with them, in city braking, it is good, but under heavy braking it overheats and eats up the pads)

(PS. we all own GT TSI's )

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 6th January 2016 at 17:17.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:55   #8135
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I have the brembo OEM replacement brake pads. They do squeal especially when they are cold. Once they warm up, generally the squealing goes. In my case the squealing is not very loud. I can live with it as I really like the braking improvement it provides over the stock pads. Don't know how long they will last though. My first set of stock pads lasted 45K Kms.

Regards
Rachit
Old 6th January 2016, 18:22   #8136
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

My Jan 2014 vento stands at 65k on the ODO. Have got the discs changed once at the 45k service. The pads are changed every 15k kms but thats due to the nature of driving. My car runs 90kms almost daily out of which 60 kms is NH1 drive so the brake pad wear is there.

I get my car serviced from Volkswagen Moti Nagar, and the SA suggested clutch parts replacement on the 60km service stating that it has gone hard. I don't think thats the case as the difference is the same as on day one compared to clutch of other cars in the household, and they were just trying to raise the bill by 20k unnecessarily. Still for your peace of mind get it checked outside.

hi,
considering the age of the car the initial view of the dealer is justified(cluthch wire). what i can think of your clutch and flywheel problem is, recently both vw and skoda have admitted that because of poor handling of car during loading on a flatbed truck for transportation, their drivers used a lot of clutch modulation which ultimately resulted in premature clutch failure. odds are that your car could be affected by this when u bought it.
Even considering this the price of the service and replacement is just too much. U should try to service at some other dealer in the city or pull some contacts to reduce the price of replacement parts.
Old 6th January 2016, 20:13   #8137
Senior - BHPian

Is it advisable to skim brake discs? Is it safe?
Does anyone know where we can source Brembo brake discs and pads? Any idea on the prices and its expected life? Will the Brembo discs last longer than the ones provided by VW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Yes, I have the brembo OEM replacement brake pads. They do squeal especially when they are cold. Once they warm up, generally the squealing goes. In my case the squealing is not very loud. I can live with it as I really like the braking improvement it provides over the stock pads.
Does it squeal on normal braking? Or only when you stomp on the pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAbdullah View Post
Recently both vw and skoda have admitted that because of poor handling of car during loading on a flatbed truck for transportation, their drivers used a lot of clutch modulation which ultimately resulted in premature clutch failure.
Interesting! What do you mean by clutch modulation?
Old 6th January 2016, 22:05   #8138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Is it advisable to skim brake discs? Is it safe?
Does anyone know where we can source Brembo brake discs and pads? Any idea on the prices and its expected life? Will the Brembo discs last longer than the ones provided by VW?

Interesting! What do you mean by clutch modulation?
hello.
by clutch modulation i mean that the drivers who used to load new cars from factory onto trailers which requires moving the vehicles on high gradients, they used to feed the clutch to stop the vehicle from rolling back and used a lot of clutch movement to load the vehicle onto the trailer. Since cars are loaded in a very slow manner onto trailers, clutch was feeded for increased periode of time. This activity was also repeated more than once when loading and unloading the vehicle. all this collectively resulted in premature clutch failure. there even have been some examples of some rapid's whose clutch gave up on just 6000 km. This problem was reported by company and has been rectified now. but previus cars used to suffer from this.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:07   #8139
BHPian

Quote:
In my observations, it squeals during normal light braking.
Generally does not squeal during hard braking or once the pads are warmed up.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 08:47   #8140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Cant share any details on the pads that I'm running.
Why not? This defeats the purpose of Team-BHP, and that of a community.

All of us gain from information shared by others, as I'm sure you have too.

We insist that you share information on the pads . Thanks!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 19:41   #8141
BHPian

Hey,

I've got a 3 month old Vento now.
The Odo reads at 3200km

But all of a sudden, I have this annoying rattling noise coming from inside the B pillar on the passanger side.
The noise is extremely audible and is most prominent when on undulated roads.

Any quick fixes available?
Or should I send it to the service station ?
If any repairs are done, would it be covered under the warranty?
Old 7th January 2016, 20:14   #8142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
Hey,

I've got a 3 month old Vento now.
The Odo reads at 3200km

But all of a sudden, I have this annoying rattling noise coming from inside the B pillar on the passanger side.
The noise is extremely audible and is most prominent when on undulated roads.

Any quick fixes available?
Or should I send it to the service station ?
If any repairs are done, would it be covered under the warranty?
Though we have altogether different vehicles, our problem is very much similar. In my two month old TUV3OO, right from day one there is a very minor buzz/rattle coming from driver side door (near the B pillar to be specific). When the window glass is completely rolled up, it gives a buzzing sound. Probably the glass is touching some metal part. Taking the glass 2-3mm down eliminates it. So seems to be a case of alignment or some missing rubber damping. Though this is not a permanent solution, you can try doing the same, i.e. taking the glass down by a couple of millimeters and see if the rattle vanishes.

If not then then obviously get this fixed from the service centre. My first service (@3K km) is planned over next week end. That time I will get this permanently fixed from the service centre.
Old 8th January 2016, 16:15   #8143
BHPian

Is the head unit RCD 320 compatible with my 2010 high line Vento which came with a head unit without blue tooth USB etc?
Old 8th January 2016, 18:30   #8144
BHPian

Quote:
May I know which service centre you turned up at? Did you observe anything different when the CE light came up?
When the CE light stated flashing for our car, ABRA motors just plainly said there is nothing wrong and politely told us to leave. Not confidence inspiring especially when it happens on the highway.
Sorry for the late response Turbohead.
I didn't observe anything different in the way it drove. In fact I was on a trip to Yercaud, when it started flashing. Called up the SA who said its nothing to worry. So was driving for two days there before taking it to the A.S.S. On way back to Chennai was even driving at 160 kph speeds (just to test), but didn't feel anything abnormal.
At ABRA, for your car, if they said its nothing to worry, did it happen again or gone after a while. I went to KUN (Volkswagen Madras) @Alandur.
Old 8th January 2016, 18:37   #8145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Sorry for the late response Turbohead.
I didn't observe anything different in the way it drove. In fact I was on a trip to Yercaud, when it started flashing. Called up the SA who said its nothing to worry. So was driving for two days there before taking it to the A.S.S. On way back to Chennai was even driving at 160 kph speeds (just to test), but didn't feel anything abnormal.
At ABRA, for your car, if they said its nothing to worry, did it happen again or gone after a while. I went to KUN (Volkswagen Madras) @Alandur.
It went off after hitting a wooden log for some strange reason. Could be the same problem that you had ( dust on the sensor). Anyway it hasn't recurred again. The torque surge made us forget about it completely. Enjoying the ride thoroughly!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks