Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 10:01   #7486
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
By the way I also think you're not supposed to be checking your dipstick on a running engine as it will give you a false reading.
I thought about the same as well. Leave aside the false alarm part, is it a good idea to take the dipstick out while the engine is on? Suppose after 10k km, we notice fumes coming out of the dipstick, is this a sign that the piston rings have worn out and requires a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My Vento has done 34,000 kms and i will give it a check tomorrow to see if i face the same issue.
Do keep us posted!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th January 2015 at 10:03.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:05   #7487
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I thought about the same as well. Leave aside the false alarm part, is it a good idea to take the dipstick out while the engine is on?
Not good to check and there 'may' be chances of oil to spit-out under pressure from the dipstick, though chances are low.

Quote:
Suppose after 10k km, we notice fumes coming out of the dipstick, is this a sign that the piston rings have worn out and requires a replacement?
AFAIK, be it 10K or 100K fumes shouldn't be seen coming out of the dipstick. It does indicate the worn out piston rings.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:02   #7488
BHPian

I have been reading about faulty fuel injectors on the Vento in this forum and was hoping that my car will not have the same issues. Mine is a Vento HL 2012, which has done just over 35 K. Since the car was completing three years, I had given it for service with Phoenix Cars, Calicut. The car is still under extended warranty and I had told my service advisor, Mr.Faisal to go through the car systematically. I did not talk to him specifically about checking the injectors. He was very good and did a thorough job and found out that the four injectors need replacement. They have been ordered and he has told me that the work will be done with extended warranty.
I have read in this forum of Vento owners facing the injector problems after expiry of the warranty. Some had to go even to the higher ups in VW hierarchy to get this done. I feel it all depends on the dealer, how he addresses the problem is very important. The moral of the story:

If any one is planning to buy a VW car, please get the extended warranty
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 12:37   #7489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms and is showing similar white puffs of smoke from oil dipstick. We came back from a casual highway drive of around 150 kms and i just checked this after reading your post, to my horror, i could see puffs of white smoke coming out. What is this? Are the piston rings bust? I parked the car after coming home, idled for 2 minutes and then checked this smoke coming out.
Read some literature for this smoke coming out of dip stick, the main culprit is PCV system as pointed out by @ramzsys. Get the PCV system checked as it may be clogged resulting in back pressure which is resulting in smoke from dip stick. Get it cleaned or replaced under warranty. It said one should get PCV cleaned every 40,000 miles but given Indian conditions it would be even earlier. If left unchecked can lead to more trouble. Have a look at following videos, should help you out.

Link.

Quote:
El lobo, can you do me a favour please?
Have a look at your Vento's dipstick next time you go for a drive and do update if your car is free from this issue.
Sorry to disappoint you but currently I'm out of town and would only be able to use Vento when I get back in March end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Piston ring wear -> Loading of combustion products into engine oil -> faster engine oil degradation -> engine degradation.

But before suspecting the rings, the PCV valve/breather hose needs to be suspected.
You are absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Mine is a Vento HL 2012, which has done just over 35 K. I feel it all depends on the dealer, how he addresses the problem is very important. The moral of the story:

All injectors made after 15 June 2012 are free from defects, since your car is from 2012 batch it would have had previous injectors. Good to see that VW Workshop at your end are more pro-active.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 12:43   #7490
BANNED

I have a question.
Is it possible to install an amplifier along with a sub in the polo/Vento without affecting warranty?
I'm asking because I've got the GT TSI and am not willing to mess up the electricals.
The stock speakers are also pretty bad, I'd rather go the amp/sub route first than upgrading the speakers.
Finding an installer is also quite a task, with driven being the lesser of the evils.
Old 17th January 2015, 14:10   #7491
Senior - BHPian

Checked the same thing in my Vento and it was a repeat of the video i posted, same white smoke. After watching el lobo's video, i opened the car wherein we fill engine oil and instead of sucking in, the same was throwing air outside, could very well be an issue with PCV system, ought to get this thing sorted out.

Good thing is that both cars are under extended warranty, Rapid till march 2016 and my Vento till July 2016.
Am planning to shoot a mail to VW regarding this and also to do a thorough test on the injectors, have a long trip due next month end and dont want to be stranded on the road, my car is also from affected injector batch.

Here is a similar issue with another Vento owner - link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3625045

The area in those photos is totally dry in both mine as well as my friend's Rapid. You can read in the post that in his Vento also the engine mounts failed at 22k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Man! That looks quite bad. It could be the head gasket too.
, i hope not. The car has not even completed 35k kms and it is scary to read such comments, my Vento is showing the same thing. I thought atleast the engine in this car would remain reliable till the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
OMG @35k kms piston rings gone kaput? Too early for a VW/Skoda car. I will also check my car and confim.
Please check with your Rapid and confirm. Both Vento and Rapid have shown this issue, will be better if owners who have clocked above 30k kms can check and report.

Quote:
These VW/SKODA siblings are like a ticking time bombs after extended warrany. I have made my mind to sell it off before EW. IMO it's not the worth risk with so much high probability of risk
+1, never expected such issues with the car so early in its life time. Car is brilliant to drive but these issues overshadow the whole driving experience, i can make up with poor service but not with so many part failures.

Quote:
As busted piston rings cause the leak of compressed air and un expanded hot gases, car FE could have come down significantly. Did you/your friend noticed any drop in FE. This is another confirmation of health of piston rings and cylinder head gasket.
No such FE or performance drop buddy, not even oil consumption. I do top up 300-400 ml every 7000-8000 kms but that is since the car was new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
These parts last the life of the car but in this case it seems to be manufacturing defect that needs address!
BTW, is the car under warranty?
Could not agree with you more. Both cars under extended warranty till mid 2016 but the kind of attitude VW has towards warranty, i have less hope. You can read in the top link i posted above how a fellow Vento owner is being rejected warranty on head gasket as it is a rubber part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
But before suspecting the rings, the PCV valve/breather hose needs to be suspected.
Thanks for the heads up, seems like a good approach before suspecting piston rings.
Quote:
Suppose after 10k km, we notice fumes coming out of the dipstick, is this a sign that the piston rings have worn out and requires a replacement?
Do keep us posted!
I dont think that white fumes coming out from dipstick is normal, will check with other cars as well but Ecosport has done just 15k kms and Fiesta just 5k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Congrats on getting your injectors changed without a fight, consider yourself lucky as mostly it is done when the injectors fail. The car must be feeling like new after this injector changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Read some literature for this smoke coming out of dip stick, the main culprit is PCV system as pointed out by @ramzsys. Get the PCV system checked as it may be clogged resulting in back pressure which is resulting in smoke from dip stick. Get it cleaned or replaced under warranty.
VW ASC's are so stupid here that am thinking how to report this issue to them. Will show this white smoke and ask their views, dont want them to start off with the head gaskets etc as these are sensitive parts. Can we get the PCV valve checked outside at an independent garage.
Old 17th January 2015, 14:21   #7492
BANNED

Better to go directly to the service centre. I've read reports saying that they refused warranty because of a marking or something on one of the components indicating someone else opened the car.
Don't waste time.
Shoot an email beforehand, get the stuff replaced ASAP.
Old 17th January 2015, 16:37   #7493
BHPian

Quote:
Please check with your Rapid and confirm. Both Vento and Rapid have shown this issue, will be better if owners who have clocked above 30k kms can check and report.
My Rapid also generating white fumes eaxactly same as in your video just after 7km drive. So far my car completed 53k and no major complaint history, except engine mount replacement around 20k kms. I will take my car to vinayak cars, kr puram, Bangalore on coming Monday. I will keep you guys posted on findings.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 17th January 2015 at 17:02.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 16:40   #7494
BANNED

Quote:
My Rapid also generating white fumes eaxactly same as in your vedio. So far my car completed 53k
Even yours!

One thing I have noticed is the mileage (odometer reading I mean) is around the same for most cars that are having this issue (40-50K kms), any pointers on this?

Is this a generic issue with all VW/Rapid's that are emitting smoke from the dipstick?! Is there something that VW/Skoda is hiding and not doing a recall types?!

Do keep us updated, I am hooked onto this issue! Shall get my friends car too checked.
Old 17th January 2015, 18:32   #7495

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Even yours!
====== Is there something that VW/Skoda is hiding and not doing a recall types?!
Is it the reason why they discontinued the 1.6 and introduced the 1.5 tdi?
Old 17th January 2015, 19:22   #7496
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasnb View Post

Is it the reason why they discontinued the 1.6 and introduced the 1.5 tdi?
Excise duty was the main concern that was projected.

You never know this issue could be the one the points. Not sure!
Old 17th January 2015, 19:26   #7497
BHPian

It is disappointing to see Engine related issues cropping up in in multiple cars that too with relatively less number of kms(50-60k kms is relatively less IMHO) and now seeing this I don't know whether to feel sad or happy that I have bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase itself

Before the purchase I was mentally prepared to face some issues related to service centre/electrical or even DSG, but seeing injectors/pistons going kaput i am thoroughly disappointed and wondering if it has anything to changing the engine size from 1.6 - 1.5.I just hope VW accepts this and provide a permanent solution rather than blaming it on poor fuel quality.
P.S : I feel that this issue deserves a separate thread
Old 17th January 2015, 23:13   #7498
BHPian

Quote:
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms and is showing similar white puffs of smoke from oil dipstick.
To test the pcv valve for clog, just rev the engine to 1500-2000rpm and the puffs should decrease.
Most of the diesels have an oil separator along with the pcv so the oil from the vapors is separated and is directed back to the oil sump. (The other fumes and un-burnt by-products enter through the intake to be burnt).

The classic symptom of ring wear is excess oil consumption. Upto 1L per 10,000k kms is acceptable.

In short- this is perfectly normal. I see no reason to panic.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 01:21   #7499
BHPian

Quote:
As I own Rapid TDI which owns identical engine, let me try to answer your question.
The behavior you are noticing is due to cold start. I guess this behavior does not repeat in the evening say after 6-7 hrs of gap (read engine is switched off for those many hours). If your answer is Yes, you don't have to worry.
Another point to note is don't push the engine (don't lug) during the morning cold start and keep the rpm below 2000. After say 3-4 kms engine will be warmed up and noise also comes down.
Thanx HILLSNRAINS. The car is over 2 years old now, and so far had not noticed this problem. The engine clatter when cold was there from day one, which used to reduce once warmed up. But this loss of power initially was something new. Few days back, just on a hunch, took the car to Volkswagen Mount road and got the K&N air filter replaced with the original one, and since then I have not had this problem. I suspect that the K&N filter was not cleaned thoroughly.
Today I got the K&N Recharge Kit and cleaned the filter thoroughly. Got a lot of muck from it using the cleaning liquid. Presently have now immersed the filter in dish washing soapy liquid to get out the last of the sticky dust. Once rinsed and dried, shall oil it and give it a try again.
Old 18th January 2015, 02:07   #7500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This doesn't seem to be an issue as such. I don't see a reason to panic. I guess the same fumes would be visible from any car dipstick if it is is removed with a running engine after a half an hour or longer drive. Mods can correct me if I'm wrong. The ASC's just might get a wild idea to start billing everyone just for fun if you tell them your rings are bust. Fun for them. So wait up on what the mods have to say and then proceed. By the way I also think you're not supposed to be checking your dipstick on a running engine as it will give you a false reading.
I guess that with a running heated up engine, the white smoke coming up through the dipstick when open could be the steam condensation due to the heat being pushed out through the opening.
VW ASC will start running out off piston rings.
And I think a compression test on each unit of the engine should be the best way to confirm a worn out piston ring or the cylinder liner.
I will, anyways, check on my Vento, which has done around 31000 km, to see if any smoke is coming out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks