Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 22:12   #7276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Fellow Vento owners, i need your advice on this doubt i have.
Its winter time here in North India and my Vento has started making the odd "kad kad" metallic tractor type noise on cold starts like last year, after 3-4 kms it vanishes and its only there on cold starts.

Now i know there is an ecu update for this issue and my friend got the same done on his Rapid recently but my dilemma is that i used to drive his car before and after driving post ecu update, it feels as it the power has been reduced, the already linear power delivery has been made more linear and i dont like this characteristic. His Rapid is smoother, engine revvs more freely but there is very mild surge post 2000 rpm.

I enjoy the kick/shove after 1900 rpm and would be disappointed if that is subdued after the ecu update? If any one got it done recently, can you tell me if the hassle is worth it? I had requested for an update in July during second service but their servers were down, going for an update would be wasting a full day knowing how VW ASC's are.

Should i bear the tractor noise or get the update done? That noise in the morning makes me paranoid that injectors are being harmed after seeing so many injector failures.
Get the ECU update. It should not affect the kick or anything. You are being paranoid I have got mine updated quite few times and dont see any difference.
Absence of tractor sound after few kilometres could also be because of you getting used to it
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 23:46   #7277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Get the ECU update. It should not affect the kick or anything. You are being paranoid I have got mine updated quite few times and dont see any difference.
Absence of tractor sound after few kilometres could also be because of you getting used to it
Thanks srishiva, have shot a mail to VW regarding this and awaiting their reply. Will visit the service center on monday/tuesday and get the ecu update + min quantity adaptation of injectors done.
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:24   #7278

hi, I have a Volkswagen Jetta Diesel 2010 model and I am having a frequent problem with rats biting wires in the car - this is the 3rd time in an year. I have a Santro that I park right next to it and so far it has not had a problem. Is it easy for the rats to get in to the Jetta? I have kept a tobacco leaves in it for over 12 months now and once the freshness of the leaves die down, i have the rat bite problem. Is there a technical way to stop the menance?
Old 27th October 2014, 00:23   #7279

Re: VW Vento: Service Experiences (every 15k km) across dealerships

Hi fellow BHPians .....this is my first post here.

I am in a quandry over what car to buy. I used to drive the humble but reliable Wagon R and have now decided to upgrade to a "sedan". My choices were the City, Amaze, Vento, Verna etc etc (i know not all of them are comparable) but after I drove the Vento.....i just could not settle for anything else. I absolutely love the way it handles and the feel of the car while driving. So in my mind I have decided to go for the New Vento.

So what is the problem ?

Well you see almost everyone I speak to about VW has only one common refrain.....great car but pathetic service...mind you everyone I asked ( approximately 7-8 guys). The Complaints range from overpriced services and spares, lack of spare parts availability, non adherence to timelines and poor quality of service overall.

Since I have never driven anything beyond a Maruti I have very high expectations. Atleast as far as the service department is concerned. Maruti service centers in Bangalore (atleast the places where I go) are extremely professional about their jobs, do not overcharge, recommend replacements only if needed. They are economical and TRUSTWORTHY.

Unfortunately the vibes that I have been getting as far as VW in general is concerned, is so negative that I am now in two minds. Can somene please help ? Pl let me know if my fears are warranted or are misplaced.

Thanks a lot again
Old 27th October 2014, 16:20   #7280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominj View Post
Unfortunately the vibes that I have been getting as far as VW in general is concerned, is so negative that I am now in two minds. Can somene please help ? Pl let me know if my fears are warranted or are misplaced.
I think your fears are very valid and not misplaced at all. Having said that, my sales and service experience so far with the dealer in Noida has been very good. I do think it depends on how good or bad individual dealerships in your town are.

VW is making an effort to improve the experience. With dealers pushing you for an "extremely satisfied" rating after each service visit. Very similar to Hyundai. Despite the risk (and I could still be proven wrong), I got a good vibe from my dealership. Not to mention that the car was far superior to anything else in that price range in terms of build quality, handling and technology.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:33   #7281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominj View Post
Hi fellow BHPians .....this is my first post here.

I am in a quandry over what car to buy. I used to drive the humble but reliable Wagon R and have now decided to upgrade to a "sedan". My choices were the City, Amaze, Vento, Verna etc etc (i know not all of them are comparable) but after I drove the Vento.....i just could not settle for anything else. I absolutely love the way it handles and the feel of the car while driving. So in my mind I have decided to go for the New Vento.

So what is the problem ?

Well you see almost everyone I speak to about VW has only one common refrain.....great car but pathetic service...mind you everyone I asked ( approximately 7-8 guys). The Complaints range from overpriced services and spares, lack of spare parts availability, non adherence to timelines and poor quality of service overall.

Since I have never driven anything beyond a Maruti I have very high expectations. Atleast as far as the service department is concerned. Maruti service centers in Bangalore (atleast the places where I go) are extremely professional about their jobs, do not overcharge, recommend replacements only if needed. They are economical and TRUSTWORTHY.

Thanks a lot again
I don't think you can or will get an assurance that your fears are misplaced. Mainly because it is true to an extent. Although the perception against after sales of VW is negative, there are plenty of happy owners who have had only good experiences. Whether you will fall into the bucket of a happy owner, or end up with poor experiences, it will be impossible to predict. So you will need to decide on whether you will go with your heart and pick up the car you love, or play safe, and go with a car from brand you are used to and comfortable with (say the Ciaz)

On a side note: I owned 3 maruti's before my current VW. My after-sales experience in most of the cases have been at most average. Several instances where they did not diagnose a problem correctly, poor service, trying to push stuff that is not needed. I experienced all those from Maruti. So as I said above, it all depends on your luck.
Old 28th October 2014, 08:00   #7282
Distinguished - BHPian

@tominj

I have been experiencing VW sales and After sales from the last 3 years. Call it luck maybe, but have not any dreadful experience to report, but ofcourse you cannot expect yet to the same level of Maruti or Hyundai's support.
Have been using the VW Palace Cross workshop ( 3 visits) and there is nothing to complaint about.
I have now a repeat purchase from the VW stable shortly

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th October 2014 at 08:02.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:27   #7283
Senior - BHPian

Got the ECU software update done on my Vento yesterday along with Min quantity injector adaptation at VW Delhi West and am all praises for the latest software patched by VW guys. Injector adaptation is done by VAG and the car revvs multiple times to 3000-3500 rpm to calibrate injector settings.

Improvement in noise and harshness is immense, the car at 120-130 is just so silent and they have completely removed the clattering of the TDi motor. Even the cold starts are silent, no tractor type noise now. On the flipside, it feels as if they have implemented Rapid's state of tune, the strong surge past 1900 rpm is now a much milder one and car picks up comfortably from low revvs, even the throttle on/off transitions are smooth.

Next big improvement is steering, finally they have listened to feedback and added a lot of weight to steering. It now has weight like the new Polo 1.5 TDi, the old lifeless feeling is gone and inspires much more confidence.

They have reduced the turbo kick and thats a downer but the improvements are well worth the loss. Get it done Vento owners.
coolboy007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 18:22   #7284
BHPian

Hi Coolboy, thanks for the info. Is this a standard across all VW or just with your dealer? I am so gonna do this if this is available from VW.

BTW, just took it for a long drive to Hyderabad and it was so much fun to drive. Even the wife took over and had some highway driving experiences.
Old 30th October 2014, 01:49   #7285
BHPian

Does anybody have the updated price list of the accessories of the Vento?
The price list in the early pages of the thread are way off that what my SA is quoting.
For example SA is quoting trunk spoiler for 8k whereas in the list it mentions 4481 including labour which I guess accounts for paint and all.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:04   #7286

I have a 2011 Vento Tdi done 60k on the odo. Have been experiencing engine knocking and jerking since a while. So at the 4th service, all the 4 injectors were replaced. Extended warranty saved the damage to my pocket. Just the injector replacement cost was 98k.
Old 30th October 2014, 16:34   #7287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hi Coolboy, thanks for the info. Is this a standard across all VW or just with your dealer? I am so gonna do this if this is available from VW.
Yes, all dealers have this facility but have read that some dealers are reluctant to do so. Shoot a mail to VW customer care and once your preferred service centre's CRM contacts you, tell them that you want a software update + injector adaptation on your Vento as you face clattering during cold starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
I have a 2011 Vento Tdi done 60k on the odo. Have been experiencing engine knocking and jerking since a while. So at the 4th service, all the 4 injectors were replaced. Extended warranty saved the damage to my pocket. Just the injector replacement cost was 98k.
Can you please elaborate on what issues you were facing prior to injector failure and how did the service centre diagnose that injectors were faulty.

At what rpm did the car jerk and when did you face engine knocking? Was it during cold starts or only during warm up? I too faced similar loud "kad kad "metallic noises at around 2k rpm in my Vento during cold starts but got the software update+ injector adaption and that has helped to a large extent, car still clatters during cold but 2000 rpm clatter is gone.

Do a lot of highway drives and worried that the injectors might give up one day and i will get stranded on the highway, want to be alert so request you to give the initial symptoms. Mine has done 30,000 kms.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:27   #7288

I wouldn't completely say that it was a 'injector failure' else I would have been stranded or stalled. The engine would jerk or I would say 'Gasp' whenever I used to stop at either a Red Light or somewhere. I guess the feedback from the engine was like its gasping for something and after 4 -5 seconds, it would be back to normal. But clatter a lot. I never faced the cold start problem because I got the ECU update during the third service itself.

During the General Checkup at 55000 kms, I complained about the issue, but was suggested to have the injectors replaced during the 4th service. They did the GFF and found issues with the Injectors calibration during general checkup. During the 4th service, the head mechanic was present to concur the issue. He did so after a test drive and could feel the jerks, and suggested to get the GFF again along with MFF and Diagnostics. The engine clattering was also prominent.

As expressed in El Lobo 6061's log, try to find out the Injector manufacturing date. If its prior to July 2012, then I guess, a visit to the service centre is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

Can you please elaborate on what issues you were facing prior to injector failure and how did the service centre diagnose that injectors were faulty.

At what rpm did the car jerk and when did you face engine knocking? Was it during cold starts or only during warm up? I too faced similar loud "kad kad "metallic noises at around 2k rpm in my Vento during cold starts but got the software update+ injector adaption and that has helped to a large extent, car still clatters during cold but 2000 rpm clatter is gone.

Do a lot of highway drives and worried that the injectors might give up one day and i will get stranded on the highway, want to be alert so request you to give the initial symptoms. Mine has done 30,000 kms.
ABerry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 15:20   #7289

Hi guys,got a call from the service centre a couple of days back regarding a software update for my VW vento petrol. Gave the car to the showroom guys and the update was done within a couple of hours. Surprisingly ,i feel the car to be much smoother. ( it could be just me since i usually feel the car to be so much smoother even after a proper car wash ).
The starting is smoother and so is the revving. I've been told that there can be slight improvemnts in FE as well.Hope everyone got the updates happy motoring.
Old 31st October 2014, 23:56   #7290
BHPian

Hi,
Further to my discussion on another forum (with StarScream), is there anyone here, who knows whether VW actually made any changes to oil(synthetic to mineral) to resolve the issues with DSG box?
The conclusion of my meeting(as part of a test drive) with the sales guy and his manager at VW's showroom (Apple) in Bangalore, is that the issue was with 47 vehicles and they were recalled and fixed. No switch of any oil has been made what so ever. As per them this switch is a rumor.
I don't know if this is good news or bad. Any thoughts please?
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks